Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ThePeavstenator posted:

100% of people that have died also have come into contact with oxygen during their lifetime. Turns out that not allowing players to be drafted until 3 years after high school makes everyone go to the only other game in town.

The NCAA isn't a good developmental league because you're eligible for a discrete window of time, there are tons of schools and a shorter schedule so talent gets diluted, and you're shoe-horned into the system of the school you play at even if it doesn't suit your abilities. A development league should give a consistent level of competition for players to be evaluated against and also let players be brought up in a system that best suits their talents.

I don't think anyone ITT is claiming that the NCAA is a particularly good or effective developmental league, just that it is the de facto developmental league for the NFL, and as long as it exists in its current form, there's no room for another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ThePeavstenator posted:

Turns out that not allowing players to be drafted until 3 years after high school makes everyone go to the only other game in town.

The NCAA isn't a good developmental league because you're eligible for a discrete window of time, there are tons of schools and a shorter schedule so talent gets diluted, and you're shoe-horned into the system of the school you play at even if it doesn't suit your abilities. A development league should give a consistent level of competition for players to be evaluated against and also let players be brought up in a system that best suits their talents.

Where did I argue that the NCAA is good, or even the best idea for a developmental league?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
There's a lot of bad things about the NFL but not allowing people straight out of high school into the league is extremely good for the players own safety

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Also college football is great and I like watching it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

a neat cape posted:

Also college football is great and I like watching it

:agreed:

It's not a good system for the players but drat if I'm not emotionally invested in it anyway

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pakled posted:

:agreed:

It's not a good system for the players but drat if I'm not emotionally invested in it anyway

Tribalism is awesome.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1116145193114382336

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:yeshaha:

a neat cape posted:

Tribalism is awesome.

My undergrad's FCS team was so bad and unpopular the school disbanded it a while back lol. And my other teams are Colorado State via my wife and UMass from my sister so uh yeah I don't have much to root for on Saturdays. That's actually a big part of why I'm bummed the AAF crashed and burned. It was cool to have a team in another league to follow since I don't have that NCAAF tribal allegiance at all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GD_American posted:

What in the loving world is your criteria for a developmental league

The fact that the college game has no vested interest in preparing players for the professional game (in "developing" them, so to speak) is a pretty big disqualifier.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

General Dog posted:

The fact that the college game has no vested interest in preparing players for the professional game (in "developing" them, so to speak) is a pretty big disqualifier.

Of course they do. Elite recruits eyeing a career in the NFL favor programs that have success at sending players to the NFL. If you want the most talented athletes to come play for you, you have to be able to say you'll prepare them to go to the next level. Likewise this talk about players being shoehorned into whatever scheme their school uses rather than whatever suits them best... do you guys think colleges aren't out there looking to bring in the guys who fit best in their scheme? Or that it's not a big part of a player's decision to go to a particular school? They're out there showing recruits game film all the time like this is how we want to use you, you're tailor-made for this role and you're really going to show out, yada yada yada.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Of course they do. Elite recruits eyeing a career in the NFL favor programs that have success at sending players to the NFL. If you want the most talented athletes to come play for you, you have to be able to say you'll prepare them to go to the next level. Likewise this talk about players being shoehorned into whatever scheme their school uses rather than whatever suits them best... do you guys think colleges aren't out there looking to bring in the guys who fit best in their scheme? Or that it's not a big part of a player's decision to go to a particular school? They're out there showing recruits game film all the time like this is how we want to use you, you're tailor-made for this role and you're really going to show out, yada yada yada.

Imagine I put up a video here of Tim Tebow's throwing mechanics.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Imagine I put up a video here of Tim Tebow's throwing mechanics.

Or that I listed all of the Ohio State quarterbacks ever.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
All non-Palmer USC quarterbacks. All non-Rodgers Tedford quarterbacks. Geno Smith. EJ Manuel.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

General Dog posted:

So because they don’t meet your platonic ideal of a developmental league, it doesn’t matter that over 99% of NFL players came from the NCAA?

Wow. Better make some calls, then

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The living doesn't qualify as a developmental league for cemeteries

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

GD_American posted:

So because they don’t meet your platonic ideal of a developmental league, it doesn’t matter that over 99% of NFL players came from the NCAA?

Wow. Better make some calls, then

You're getting this backwards, NFL players come from the NCAA because it's the only option.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every other development league in every other sport can move players up and down as needed. Given that they all have it, that implies to me that that is part of the definition of a development league. College, at best, is a prep league, which I would say is a distinct type of league.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1116761721652359170?s=21

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1116762294518800384

lol what a clownshow

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Capitalism is loving gross lmao. Even the abstract notion of your labor can be held as collateral by the company that's loving you up the rear end and leaving you in limbo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a neat cape posted:

You don't have to go to college. You just have to be three years removed from high school graduation

And there's the rub right there. The NCAA is the only place to spend those years and keep getting better at football. In a true developmental league those players would make even more progress on their skills, plus they'd be earning money for themselves and their families. It would also give them a strong taste of what being in the NFL would be like and develop their professionalism

Here's a problem I see: there are so many schools with football teams. The college system is the only one that can handle THAT many players. So if anything, the developmental league would take only the best players, leaving a ton of players left out without the NCAA. I'm not positive that would even be better.

Another issue is that I actually do think that college classes have value and that it's important to educate players on things other than football. It's a shame that education is directly linked to indentured servitude

sweet thursday posted:

Capitalism is loving gross lmao. Even the abstract notion of your labor can be held as collateral by the company that's loving you up the rear end and leaving you in limbo

I feel like that couldn't stand up in court. Right? I mean if you're not paying them as per the contract then that contract is voided.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good lord that Carolina guy is just a monster huh

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Play posted:

I feel like that couldn't stand up in court. Right? I mean if you're not paying them as per the contract then that contract is voided.

It won't, but they know that the players aren't going to challenge it because they can't afford to go against high powered lawyers.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

waah posted:

It won't, but they know that the players aren't going to challenge it because they can't afford to go against high powered lawyers.

What about those that signed with NFL teams?

And couldn't the CFL lead a class action suit?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Flikken posted:

They had outs in their clauses to sign with NFL teams.

It'd be cool if the NFL signed a pile of guys for 0 dollar signing bonuses and then cut them a week later but.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Flikken posted:

the guys signing with nfl teams are getting paid the absolute minimum and even if they survive they cutdown to 53 (they won't) that's probably still not enough to afford the needed legal help

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

You're getting this backwards, NFL players come from the NCAA because it's the only option.

That. Is. My. Point. Which. I. Have. Been. Making. All. Along.

Sash! posted:

Every other development league in every other sport can move players up and down as needed. Given that they all have it, that implies to me that that is part of the definition of a development league. College, at best, is a prep league, which I would say is a distinct type of league.

This is a pretty good argument, but by default it's the only developmental league that's existed since NFL Europe.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Flikken posted:

The CFL isn’t flush with cash. IIRC most teams don’t make much of a profit, but that could be artful accounting and not real money.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’m just glad the NFL will finally get a proper minor league once the XFL hits.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Play posted:

And there's the rub right there. The NCAA is the only place to spend those years and keep getting better at football. In a true developmental league those players would make even more progress on their skills, plus they'd be earning money for themselves and their families. It would also give them a strong taste of what being in the NFL would be like and develop their professionalism

Here's a problem I see: there are so many schools with football teams. The college system is the only one that can handle THAT many players. So if anything, the developmental league would take only the best players, leaving a ton of players left out without the NCAA. I'm not positive that would even be better.

Another issue is that I actually do think that college classes have value and that it's important to educate players on things other than football. It's a shame that education is directly linked to indentured servitude

There's also a lot of guys who look so so when going into college who grow into great players. It takes a system as big as NCAA football to find those guys. A developmental league is going to a lot less patient.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy week 10 everyone, last scheduled Saturday of the first regular season :woop:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Still bummed gently caress dundon

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

WEH posted:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

WEH posted:

It's why I'm so glad the Hurricanes are getting stomped even though I normally hope they pull something out.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

waah posted:

It's why I'm so glad the Hurricanes are getting stomped even though I normally hope they pull something out.

The Hurricanes are the only Carolina-based team I don't follow, so I feel less bad rooting against them now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

WEH posted:

I legit really enjoyed the AAF

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Morby posted:

I legit really enjoyed the AAF

Yeah, I did too in some perverse way. Guess my favorite part were the pace of the games.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Got my shirt, hat, and Justin Thomas jersey on the way hellyeah

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
My shirt got here but its made for a dude with like 100 lbs on me. I'm either gonna give it to my girlfriend to wear as a dress or hang it up somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol, what size is it?