Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

syzpid posted:

I don't understand the whole "we need practice squad players almost no one has ever heard of to survive"

If you really need players to move the ratings, then they should be going after guys like Mettenberger, who had a good NFL season, followed by a bad one and then disappeared. Even the Trent Richardson experiment has worked out pretty well for them. If anything, they should try chasing regional guys who were good enough to have Division 1 interest, but couldn't put together the grades. Along with guys who the NFL think are undersized.

I think the idea was if they got NFL practice squad guys the NFL pays their salary so the AAF doesn't have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

i mean it probably wouldn't have been paid anyway

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

syzpid posted:

apparently the AAF was paying the networks to air the games, and it looked like none of the networks were planing to pay for the games, which is why Dundon shut it down.

I sort of can't believe that? With as well as the AAF games were doing ratings wise, and how desperate networks seem to be for live sports, they weren't willing to pay anything for the AAF?

They already signed a contract to be paid to air AAF games, and the league would've shut down even faster without the TV broadcasts. If they were forced to renegotiate those deals somebody absolutely would've paid, but the AAF had zero leverage to push for it.

I wonder if the XFL will broadcast on the WWE network...