Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Hope it is OK that I post this as a new thread - didn't see anything existing that seem to fit this question.

So, back in June, I bought a CPO vehicle for ~$23k before taxes/fees, putting $14k down. I financed the rest with a loan from Fifth Third - principal ~$14k, 5.78% APR, 72 month term (goal to pay off in 60 months or less). Currently ,my auto loan balance is almost exactly $10k, or at least until I make my April payment.

Since taking out this loan, I've managed to pay off a lot of debt and my credit score has improved dramatically (from ~715 to ~804 at my last check). My question to you all: is it worth refinancing this loan at this point?

According to Mint, if I make my minimum $230/mo payment, the loan will be paid off in exactly 4 years time (I plan to pay more than the minimum, so hopefully sooner). Still, even at the minimum monthly payment, Mint's loan calculator suggests I will only end up paying ~$1.1k of interest over the lifetime of the loan - presumably less if I keep paying off extra principal every month.

With this in mind, is it worth refinancing my auto loan now that my credit score is much better? I did a little poking around and have gotten pre-approval APRs in the ~4.25 range or so. Will a lower APR be worth the extra fees/hassle of refinancing, or does it make more sense to stick with the loan I have now given how much I have prepaid?

Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Auto financing is typically free and easy, all you have to do is do whatever title lien paperwork the lender asks you to do and send them a payoff quote from your current lender. it is free money even if it's only a couple hundred dollars over the life of the loan. Chances are very good you can get a better rate than 5.8% by shortening your term. You should have no trouble finding rates under 4% for 36 month loans.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Auto financing is typically free and easy, all you have to do is do whatever title lien paperwork the lender asks you to do and send them a payoff quote from your current lender. it is free money even if it's only a couple hundred dollars over the life of the loan. Chances are very good you can get a better rate than 5.8% by shortening your term. You should have no trouble finding rates under 4% for 36 month loans.

Thanks! I will look into this, then. If it's a free $300, I'll take it. I'll probably look for a 60 month refi as I like the flexibility of the longer term, as long as the loan doesn't have any prepayment penalties.

Any lenders I should look for? Or will the Nerdwallet/Credible aggregate suffice?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Thanks! I will look into this, then. If it's a free $300, I'll take it. I'll probably look for a 60 month refi as I like the flexibility of the longer term, as long as the loan doesn't have any prepayment penalties.

Any lenders I should look for? Or will the Nerdwallet/Credible aggregate suffice?
Local CU had the lowest price I could find last summer. Cheaper than anything online.

Rates vary based on term, shorter term is always cheaper.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Penfed is great for any auto loan needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
thanks all!