Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Log082 posted:

They mention adding building demolition, which sounds cool, and maintenance, which sounds realistic but I prefer the way it works now.

I'm sure it'll be a difficulty setting like everything else, though.

When I do demo it's always because I'm loving around with my broken layout so I'm auto-buying everything anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

I really wish the job shift thing was less garbage.

Sorry I think they said they were making the jobs more garbage.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like honestly it would be nice if there was a variant of a DO which worked like technical services does for water. Rather than setting up each individual consumer and levels, it just automatically supplied all consumers in the work area from a defined loading point.

Because the big annoyance with building a very distributed consumer goods infrastructure is setting up all of the loving DO routes for it.

Just let me slop down some buildings and point them at a warehouse and then they automatically send out a big fleet of vans to deliver to all the little pubs and restaurants.

Isn't that pretty much how they work? You have to click on the consumers but it's not like you have that many, right?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I guess I've never built a city with more than a dozen shops.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Also things like prisons, orphanages etc, it all adds up.

Oh sure if you feed your prisoners and orphans.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

double nine posted:

by far my biggest frustration with sewage/water is the slope requirement. Everything else could be managed otherwise, but the slope just isn't a fun challenge when in difficult terrain

It would be interesting if it weren't so hard to see what the problem even is.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

I remember last time I played I couldn't figure out how to get workers to travel long distances to industry jobs and didn't want to have to build cottage towns for every single mine considering the huge costs of some of the necessary buildings etc

Just build a fifty mile long cable car duh.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Fake Name posted:

This game has taught me that I do not understand how to set up railway signals.

The thing that gives me the most terrible is that WR signals aren't path based, so if you have a crossover then passing trains can block each other even if they are staying on their own tracks. I know this but somehow keep finding ways to screw it up.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Are you sure? I think you can see the path the trains are planning in Signal View. Are you using pre-signals for crossover areas? I'm pretty sure they're smart enough to know that train X will not be using segment Y that train Z needs to use, and will give a conditional proceed signal (it's like light blue or something)

When I had this problem most recently it was with rail layers, which I think have their own logic, so that might've been the issue.

I also realized belatedly that unconstructed tracks still create blocks so that trains on different forks of an unfinished loop will block each other. Which makes sense for simulation purposes but was very confusing visually.

OwlFancier posted:

I still use pre signals entering the interchange because otherwise trains like to park themselves across the intersection and if the exit block isn't clear they block the entire junction.

I thought that was basically the whole point of chain signals.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The game is a little weird in that 20% of the population dying causes the same sort of happiness issues as like, a couple months without meat in the diet.

After the past few years this seems like a reasonable model to me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yeah, on investigation, I shut off my power import and my windmills all sprang to 100% usage (which still wasn't enough to prevent outages). So it's just a weird interaction between power importing and power production that's the problem. Once I have a real baseload plant set up it'll be all good.

In the meantime I weep for the complete absence of gravel spots near my new start and the sheer amount of CO traffic this is creating. I wish the devs would change their minds about "only one vehicle can move in a customs office at a time, even if multiple have clear paths".

Traffic isn't too bad right now, but I designed the roads for the COs pretty poorly and it's not helping. and yes, I started by the perfidious NATO, truly selling out

My version of realistic mode is starting in the middle of the map so delivery costs more.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Volmarias posted:

:psyduck:

How do you actually do that and have any money? I would expect most of your money to be taken up by the cost of fuel and the number of vehicles you need to export at a reasonable rate. Even on maps where I primarily want a start location on the center, I'm still setting up a border town to do tourism or oil or something to finance my republic.

Well I have fuel off so I guess that helps.

Edit: I didn't really export until I got trains. The point is really just to disincentivize waiting too long before building the construction industry.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how it's going to work tbh, and it feels weird for your first lovely starter town to immediately put all three universities in it so you can unlock proper buildings and industries to build another town around.

Breathless messenger: "Comrade Stalin, they've done it! The science boys have cracked the 'Stalin doesn't have to personally order every truck delivery' technology!"

Stalin's emaciated foot sticking out from under a pile of paperwork: *twitch*

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Bridges do block boats but I think the only way to know if a boat can pass is to build the bridge and try it. :/

This is a good case for saving your game, autobuilding the bridge, seeing if it works, then reloading. (Assuming you’re going for realistic mode or adjacent.)

You can use the measurement tool to check bridge height, just make it taller than your boats.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Woah wait, the measurement tool can measure height of bridges?!

Yeah you click or hover the pillars, I can't remember exactly. I was shooting for 40m on my big bridge because I think that's taller than any ship.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I absolutely look for maps that have resource pockets in awkward places, the game is infrastructure based so having to build infrastructure over long distances and difficult terrain to get to resources is the appeal.

As long as the challenge is logistics and not just an hour of fiddling with terraforming tools.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

And the distinction between road and tower cranes is that road cranes drive themselves to the site but work slower, and tower cranes work faster but need a big enough flatbed truck in the same CO to deliver them.

This game is so loving good.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I can really get most of the traffic sorted with lines... I just love using distro centers and don't really understand what their logic will be.

Do trains make pathing decisions at signals? That is to say, will they divert to an empty express/passing lane if there's traffic ahead?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Do people generally have one consolidated megapolis of several thousand people surrounded by all your industries, or have lots of little industry towns? If you do towns do you try to provide all services or just tell them to get hosed, they don't all need hospitals.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm trying psuedo-realistic mode right now. Got a farm running near the border with no citizens so far. Kinda feel like I might just keep it rolling this way for a while, citizens just poop and complain.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The General posted:

How the heck do I build a sewage discharge? It says some has to be in the water, and some on land. No matter how I angle it it's never correct.

They're impossible to build and anyone who says they've built one is lying.

They're very finicky and you're probably not doing anything wrong except that you need a smoother beach or a sharper drop to build on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think I'm just gonna turn off sewage for this run, the slope stuff is too fiddly.