Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Metro 2033: City Builder expansion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Naah, they just dropped it in the river or the ocean back then. Out of sight out of mind.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I also went on a mod-testing-fest and added some military APC looking vehicles that have a bulldozer variant that are basically cheating. While I normally try to avoid things like that that unbalance the vanilla experience, this was an area where I didn't mind.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2009344788

Absolutely don't use these for snowplows or anything on the road unless you are absolutely flush with fuel. They are so fuel inefficient that they will literally bankrupt you.

The wild thing about that one is that it's an accurate depiction of the AT-T. It's basically a T-55 tank with 30 tons of steel chopped of.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Has anyone had "Ambulance didn't arrive" notifications at apartments connected by ped paths?

All the time. Two hospitals in two different towns, literally across the street from the affected houses and nearly empty of patients, nearly fully staffed all the time with a full set of ambulance and helicopters. Houses aren't connected to roads though, only paths. Still see ambulances constantly make successful pickups from these houses so its intermittent. Looks like the pathfinding fails at random?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

There's a mod for that. Tracks without collision boxes.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Upsidedown Checkoslovakia?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

There are also other mice other than trackballs that eliminates tendonitis. They look more like a static palm-sized joystick and you push the entire base around to point

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

My goal is always to build a selfsustaining country that don't necessarily need to import anything, and then a beautiful city on top of it all. For me this is the game of a 1950's postwar father-of-the-nation trying to force a utopia through concrete and steel and good intentions, who somehow also justifies a need for a secret police spying on everyone.

This game wouldn't be a tenth as good if it wasn't so unstoppably charming. I think that drat music is to blame for a lot of it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I just saw someone has released a map Middle Earth on the workshop. Sometimes it’s not the physical map that makes it good, but the entertainment you can create with it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

biglads posted:

If you can put slogans on top of the water towers that might be enough to get me starting a new game.

There will be mods.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I'm super impressed by their holistic ambition and skill, and also you couldn't make me turn that on in a million years. Getting a headache just thinking about it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Just saw there's a Sewage and Water Rail Car + Load/Unload Station mod on the workshop now. I love insane solutions like that. Also, time for a gimmick run of "value-enhanced water" exports to the decadent west perhaps?

There's also a new map called Fox County (I think?) that looks really good

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I exclusively use black 1950s chevrolets and cadillacs for those high impact special worker transports because its fun. Coincidentally the secret police all drive 3-wheeled messerchmitts or BMW isettas

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The best/easiest export produce early on is crude oil. It's valuable enough to make your cash reserves go up even as you import everything else into your young republic, and that was very important for me when starting out. Not worrying about the money removed a lot of stress about not having everything planned out or even understanding everything. Enough time to learn heating, happiness, and then loyalty (and now water and sewage for me).

Raw Oil is just the pumps, electricity, the piping, a firestation, and then something to take it over the border

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Don't think there is one, since all the modded gravel factories I have got's at least one input+output conveyor pair

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

... I discovered the T a couple weeks ago. I thought I was uniquely stupid and you all knew :cripes:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ABen posted:

This game seems like it ought to be the poster child for feature creep, but it seems like they are implementing nearly everything in a reasonable/intelligent way.

Every post they make completely kills my desire to play until the next update comes out (especially want to play with their cosmonaut start plans). Then I see beautiful pictures (like in this thread) and get the urge to play again. :negative:

I feel like I should just set a reminder for 2 years from now when the game is done and pick it up then. Ought to even be done with my dissertation by then, and would even have time to actually play...

Considering you can now turn on the new content whenever it gets released, on old saves/cities, you're not losing anything by playing today. If it matters a lot though, think of the future stuff as currently not being under your jurisdiction - they are solved by some other state department not sorting under the office of the region god vernor (you). Your political influence will ofc correct that in time but you got to start somewhere.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Don't draw a Y by doing a curving road, draw a T by doing two straight lines, do the hat of the T first

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 2, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Vanilla isn’t bad for a bit until you at least are familiar with what buildings are what and that. The mods don’t fundamentally change much, but I would personally just be a little overwhelmed if suddenly I had 300 buildings. There are some unbalanced options on the workshop, and some outdated ones (concrete that doesn’t take water, for example.)

My mod tab for residential houses is 15 pages long

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone got any standout recommendations for community maps? Or ideally a curated pack?

I've had fun with the "Tundra" map(s), that author is also gifted for making other maps. My latest effort attempt is on a map called "inner mongolia" I think? One of the workshop pictures shows the word PEACE spelled out with planted trees on one of the softer heights, can't miss it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Since about 6+ months ago, was it?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

oh sweet maybe time to give it another go then

Turn it on by pressing F2 (F3?) twice, first is to display grid second is for sticking to grid. The grid icon checkbook above the minimap displays a little magnet 🧲 when its on

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nothing, since your republic is actually well built

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

And yet motorcycles and vespas

E: really do think they should implement bikes + mopeds (USA tr. scooters?), to hell with what it would mean for the other systems. It's not like any other module has been made less useful with that in mind.
Cars being the singular luxury-item-status-loyalty thing it is wouldn't be brought over since it wasn't the mobility that gave them that status in the blocs. That was entirely about the exclusivity, like any other medal or status signalling icon

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 28, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Download and install a free program called (search) "everything", it's extremely lightweight. Search your steam workshop main folder for anything related to the specific mod and you'll find the data in plain text files. You can change everything to whatever you need.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Log082 posted:

Thanks for the advice, that's actually really helpful. I'd found the mod directory on my own before complaining about it but I assumed just changing values would be overwritten by Steam. Does that only happen if the mod updates?

edit: It works! Thanks for the advice!

Yes, only if the mod updates. What you could do to safeguard against that is to make a copy of the folder of the vehicle/structure/thing, place it right next to the original with a new name and make the edits to this copy. Pretend it's the -B model or mark. 3 etc, new in-game name saves from mixing them up.

Soviet Republic is fantastically easy to mod (except for adding new functionality).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I support them being mad fully, and I highly doubt small (🥺) computer people in Slovakia are familiar with the concept of needing to pay lawyers to deal with crazy. They're way to non-corporate for that. I'm not going to hold a single thing against them as they ride this out.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 10, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

I’m a little annoyed to see some shithead loving with chill rear end Eastern European devs who had a cool idea for a game.

That is wonderful. Myself I'm leaning more towards murderous.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Tropico 1 was the best tropico. Nothing after it captured that je ne sais quoi

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hopefully someone drowns him in nuisance suits by claiming intellectual ownership of his car

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hmmm... it just struck me that what he's been wishing for and will now get, is to have his name in the credits. As in his actual real legal and identifiable name. Making it guaranteed that every search engine for all time will connect him to his bullshit.

He doxxed himself.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Popete posted:

Not necessarily, he could just get his handle put it.

Going along with the hypothetical that he'll get in there, he doesn't control how he will be credited. There's no legal obligation to obfuscate his name in the credits, only to credit him as per whatever agreement. International IP law is many things but giving protection for aliases is not a part of it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I stumbled over a video about a post soviet commuter town, it's good, and felt it might be interesting to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvgQbHFvWE

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

... sometimes I only plan after I've built it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Had the same reaction, all Bill & Ted excellent. Hooded Horse is also the best publisher i could've asked for for them

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I agree with you. Where the game is correct and realistic is in that it's a thing, but the abstraction needed to translate it into game mechanics goes too hard and makes it a bit unreasonable in the ways you brought up. Poisoning people has less immediate and unsustainable consequences in real life than in-game. That felt like a strange sentence to write.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

What's the way to keep stuff on a grid when building in this? I see that I can turn the wireframe on and manually move the roads and stuff around without snapping with the F keys but is there a way to snap everything on the grid or is it just eyeballing it when looking at the grid to make sure everything's even?

You press the wireframe button twice. Once turns it on, twice and a little magnet appears on the icon and things snap to the grid, thrice turns it all off again

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

It's a lapse of marxist thought that bikes aren't in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Well that's just great, now I'll have an obsessive motivation to create a modpack of vaults, postapocalypse services, and underground buildings forever