Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I thiiiiiink the quality number is related to the green-ness of the nodes when you place the extraction building and impact the amount produced? But I'm not sure.

Oil wells I placed in a more yellowish area seem to have lower quality numbers and produce less than oil wells I place in the middle of a big green patch with no other wells around it, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The processing plant has multiple outputs, as does at least the larger aggregate storage. Don't remember about the smaller aggregate storage. So it's theoretically possible, but trying to get them all built so that the outputs and inputs line up as well as all the road access... THAT'S the hard part.

A lot of the buildings have very confusing input/output/road locations, and it would be nice if there were both more options for those, and more options for building conveyors instead of just the one tower. If conveyors worked more like oil pipelines that would be nice, instead of having to build a half dozen conveyor towers to try to make a corner and cross a road.

The worst are the factory connections though aaaaa

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If you have fires enabled, road access for buildings without employees is also used for firetrucks.

Also yeah I could probably do better with trucking some stuff instead of building a giant conveyor tangle to move coal around a corner and across the street.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

A second settlement with a construction office and a central industry.

Glibness aside, that's usually the point where I get analysis paralysis too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, mod options for education and government and media buildings are suuuuuuper useful because having only one size of each available in vanilla is incredibly frustrating. Sometimes it's nice to be able to have a smaller city hall or a bigger but much 'denser' kindergarten.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You can also move your bitumen and gravel in bulk and build a new asphalt plant closer to your ongoing construction.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

the self powered construction is a key part of the fun, and that's also kind of optional, because you can just buy everything with money and the game is playable like that but not very fun.

This. If you're just buying everything with money, it's a crappy over-complicated transport fever. This is the part where things get fun.

Also yeah, if you have factoriobrain and try to exactly match your outputs and inputs for zero waste you will lose your mind, slop is good! Store it, ship it, export it!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

On the other hand, a single massively overbuilt highway interchange surrounded by rutted mud and at-grade crossings does seem like peak eastern bloc construction, so I dig it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, the good news is that as long as you have all the staff you need elsewhere (i.e. you're not overstaffed in one area to the detriment of another) there's literally no downside to having a bunch of guys come to work and stand around doing nothing because there's no raw materials.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Chaining behavior is.. weird. Some things just can't be chained beyond a single connection (forklifts), other things can be chained forever but they need some sort of pump to push product along then chain. Try using a conveyor tower to connect them, I think it will act as a 'pump'.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Yeah a tower fixed it thanks, and led to this delightful spaghetti.

Now a couple more questions. How do I get a snow plow to actually plow? I have one, and I assigned it to my two bus stops as that's the first priority to clear, but it just shuttles between them at 38km/h, doing nothing as far as I can see, and it seems to say if it was plowing it would go at 23km/h. Do I need to load it with salt somehow? Represented by gravel maybe? It doesn't seem to have capacity though. Or somehow actually tell it to engage the plow? It's not currently snowing but it has snowed, and everything has slowed to a crawl. So far power and heating remain on though :ohdear:

For plows to plow they need to be assigned to a road maintenance whatever it's called, it automatically dispatches them when there's snow based on priorities for types of road. Afaik there's no way to just have one plow do one section between set points.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh my god yes.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Level from center, patience and convenient geology. If there's rock close to the surface there's basically nothing you can do but you can get surprisingly sharp slopes with persistent application of the level from center tool. It helps to have the topography and grid displays enabled too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, I would be more interested in new industries rather than new services.

(And obviously QOL stuff foremost)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Don't you LIKE building entire towns solely to support the fire station to cover your oil pumps?!?!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Honestly I kind of like playing with fires on the low setting just for the effect of keeping me honest about supporting infrastructure.

I wouldn't ever put it on high though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If "making game harder by not pressing buttons" is a stealable idea, cosmonaut mode guy better watch out for pannenkoek sliding backwards at the speed of light to break his kneecaps with a crowbar

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lawyers, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The DOs seem intended to be associated with a small cluster of shops rather than one-per-city. But I do generally agree that they're currently an annoying amount of clicking to configure fairly obvious behavior and maybe it might be better to have something like a 'local distribution office' or whatever that works more like the water trucks and a 'regional distribution office' that works exactly the same as they currently do that you can use for the next step up in your logistics chains.

But it's OK now, just... slightly frustrating sometimes.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

DOs are admittedly a HUGE improvement over how it had to be done before them: individually configuring specific truck routes! That poo poo made me want to jump out a window.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Just noticed that in my current long save that my big city is *very slightly* off the grid in a way I can't align large buildings perfectly to roads and it's absolutely killing me.

soviet verisimilitude

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

you're having the ideal WRSR new player experience!

commando in tophat posted:

Now I'm stuck with oil power plant in which nobody wants to work. I have bus stop in my village, bus stop right next to power plant, there is bus line setup between the two (get in & out at both), and there are 60 passengers waiting at the bus stop in village, but no workers. I have no idea where those passengers want to go, because the only bus goes to power plant, but nobody goes there. Of course there are 50 workers chilling at half built bar waiting for some concrete or something, and everyone bitching that there is no electricity. How do I make those idiots work at the power plant? Why are there people at the bus stop that doesn't go anywhere except the power plant?

Transit in this game doesn't work the way you assume it would in normal games. It's more like workers are a resource like gravel or something than the behavior of e.g. the cims in Skylines.

"Passengers" waiting at a transit stop are not there to work, they're there looking for places to go shopping or to the movies or some other leisure/nonwork activity. They look around their neighboring area to satisfy all their needs and if there's something they can't satisfy but there is a transit stop, they try to go to the transit stop in hopes of finding something there that will take them to somewhere else that does have something that will satisfy them. They don't really 'know' what destinations are available from that transit station, they just go there.

For now I would suggest deselecting "Passengers" and "Students" at your bus stop and just leaving Workers selected, if the issue is related to there just not being enough room at the bus stop for workers, that will help.

But also keep in mind that workers may not go to the bus stop looking for work if they already found work they can walk to, like the half-built bar waiting for concrete, so you either need a massive oversupply of labor, to ensure absolutely every job is always full, or you need to go to some of your apartment buildings and specify where the people in it should go to work. I think for this situation you would want to select the bus station you want them to wait at as where they should work, but I'm not 100% sure.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah jokes about the new player experience aside, 1000% agreed to start with most of the difficulty settings turned off and maximum, or even unlimited money, and just muck around trying to build things and make them work, and then when you have an understanding of the basic systems, start trying to do more and more things the 'realistic' way while keeping the money backstop, and then if you feel you're ready for a real challenge, give realistic mode a try if you want.

Doing everything with magic money takes a lot of the flavor out of it, though, unless you're 100% in it for building pretty cities (which, fair). Even if you're MAINLY interested in building pretty cities, being COMPELLED to build infrastructure in stages and supporting industries and transportation logistics can be a big driver of making a city that feels functional and lived-in.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It feels like you need a shocking amount of construction offices to build anything efficiently but I suppose that maps to reality way better than the way videogames usually do it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yo, thanks for the replies. Just to make sure how workers function in this game, is this like this?
1) Comrade worker doesn't have a job. He wakes up, looks out of window and if he seems something where there is work, he goes there
2) If there isn't anything within laughably short walking distance, he'll go to bus stop and doesn't have any plan where to go. He just sits there like a piece of lumber waiting to be transported somewhere, anywhere.
3) Bus driver shoves 50% of workers out at some bus stop, and it is back to (1)?

Basically. Keep in mind with the laughably short walking distance that walking distance is a function of the surfaces people are walking on, if you have gravel footpaths and asphalt roads with lights and sidewalks, this walking distance becomes surprisingly far! The downside is all that poo poo takes time and material and equipment and production chains to build. Mud roads and mud paths are free, but they do suck.

quote:

How does a worker get home? is this something like above, or he can grows a brain and figures out how to get home?

Workers return home through the mighty soviet scientific discovery of teleportation.

quote:

And if citizen cannot buy any food, because grocery store is 10m beyond walking distance, will he just go starve at the bus stop and pray to lenin so he sends him bus to somewhere with grocery store? What the line has multiple stops and only one has grocery? Will he just be kicked out of a bus randomly and then be like ":saddowns: no food here either"

If this works similar to this, that would seem pretty dumb.

Honestly I have no idea how all this works because I provision all my citizens with necessary services within walking distance because my assumption of how this works is 'badly'.

quote:

And after I manage to persuade some workers to go work at power plant, will it randomly stop producing because some bus waited at intersection 5s longer and now the workers at power plant decide to go home like they don't work at critical infrastructure?

Yes this is exactly what will happen, which is why people tend to try, as much as possible, to have everyone walk to work. If this isn't possible for logistical or pollution reasons, for crucial services it is, perhaps counterintuitively, better to supply them with workers through a fleet of small minibuses rather than a smaller number of giant busses.

quote:

Sorry for my dumb questions

Sorry for my dumb answers

Also note that if you have the surplus manufacturing and roadbuilding capacity, and hate yourself and want to suffer, you really can just build parking lots everywhere and provide all your citizens with cars and they can live in Soviet Texas and everything works like a slightly janky version of every other citybuilding game you've ever played, except you now have insurmountable traffic bottlenecks loving up all your road-based logistics networks.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 13, 2023

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the replies, knowing how it works will help bring glory to my soviet republic. So with people transport working like it does, and power plant that takes at most 15 workers, I can probably forget about stable power supply if demand will be some % of power plant production? Solution is to connect to borders and buy/sell electricity based on how timing on minibuses and teleports home align?

Basically. The 7 person minibusses will probably be enough IF you always have a supply of workers ready to go at the bus stop, and depending on how long the trip from the bus stop to the power station is. If it's a very long trip you may need to have a ludicrous number of them. But yeah you can supplement with power bought at the border, and that's generally a good idea when you're first getting started.

The thing you really want to watch out for is if you have seasons/heating turned on, because in winter time your citizens will freeze to death if the heat stays off for too long and the heating plants poo poo out a ton of pollution so it's generally unwise to have them within walking distance of housing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Look, comrades, this happens every year, yes somebody may have forgotten to buy nuclear fuel but that's because you arseholes keep using it in summer. I bought a whole tonne of it last year which is more than enough to keep you alive through the winter if you don't use it through the summer but you keep doing it.

This is why we have thousands of people without their own flat, so when this inevitably happens there are spare people to take up the jobs.

comrades, our republic is now sufficiently economically and socially advanced to establish a superior copy of the british pension plan

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The vanilla pub building being ugly as poo poo doesn't help matters either.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Going for a record here posting too much in a row, but starting my new save and have a weird set up I'm trying to suss out with my coal industry.

Does anyone know if an aggregate storage will push into another aggregate storage if full? My setup will be Ore Processing>Conveyor Engine>Storage1>Storage2. I know that without an engine, a factory will still push into a storage, but in this case when storage1 fills up, will it start to push into storage2? I have a weird space where I'm building a massive coal facility and this would be desirable behavior. (It's hard to explain why without showing off the design.)

I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure. Like, 97% sure that it only works 1 storage deep without another engine to act as a pump.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe an engine feeding 1 and 2, with priorities set?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah the point of panel roads is that if you have prefab panel manufacturing set up they're basically a free upgrade from gravel and good enough for routes that only see truck traffic that doesn't get up to full asphalt speed anyway.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, you COULD build your cities in such a way that there's lots of small outlying towns with very minimal services and the only way to get to the fancy stuff like a department store and a cinema is to take a train from the small town to the big city, but... this will just result in all your little guys defecting because they couldn't figure out how to take a train to see a movie and just sat in the Shitgrad train station being bored for a year.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ArchangeI posted:

I also made the mistake of finally doing a playthrough with water/sewage for the first time and good drat is it a hassle. How do you get drinking water to your mine buildings up in the mountains? Just truck it up there?

Probably easiest, yeah.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Same, I was ready to throw down

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Are there any decent crash courses on the garbage mechanics yet? I've started a game up a couple times, looked at the combination of "going through early game realistic" and "learning garbage", and kept deciding "nah I'll do this later" - if it's well-documented somewhere that may at least somewhat ease things. It looks like the wiki is fairly updated, but it wasn't especially clear on how you structure things for success.

...I also need to find a better map to start with...

yeah I've spent the morning experiencing this very thing (not actually on realistic mode but trying to minimize magic money building but also playing a populated map which I don't usually do)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Polikarpov posted:

load bearing flatbed truck

well yeah, bearing loads is what trucks are for :v:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Have you spent 15 minutes on each building trying to line it up just so?

i have but my cities still look like dogshit, skill issue?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Another gameplay aspect of the pollution setting is adding a source of variable healthcare utilization.

But yes it's very silly that anyone living within a 50 mile radius of a room full of sewing machines gets rapid onset black lung.

Honestly I think might start playing without it and just keep building my heavy industry sensibly far away from my housing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

zedprime posted:

Even just at a base level it's something begging for technology or a building module of some sort.

IIRC particulate and NOx scrubbing achieved widespread service only by the 70s and 80s which is solidly in the middle of this game. Until then you could face a lot of trouble even living at the distances the game doesn't mind for power plants and steel mills.

Sounds like a potential candidate for an actually interesting tech tree!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

euphronius posted:

I doubt they did but whatever, I was just saying it seemed like a cheap joke

3division is a game studio founded in 2003 in slovakia, they absolutely grew up during the declining days of the USSR, the entire game is a sort of ambivalently nostalgic love-letter to the era of the soviet satellite state