Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Log082 posted:

Why is such a small thing making me so happy?

Because building tracks is a pain in the rear end so any QoL making it less so is a blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Log082 posted:

Tonight I found out that the massive, modded in Class 24 draglines that I'd saved up 25 million dollars to buy a blueprint for have a movement speed of 0, because the modder wanted to accurately represent that these kind of machines don't really move outside of the mine they're assembled in.

This is great and all, except they weigh 400 tons and there's no way to disassemble them for shipping, so you either buy them in place at the facility you want to use them in or stare as they sit uselessly in your vehicle production factory's parking lot, unable to do anything. What a waste of the last 5 or so in-game years.

If the modder really wanted it to function this way, they should have just made it a building, not a vehicle. Someone else has already put a bucket wheel excavator mod up that works that way.

If it was bought at the border, you could technically edit the mod and make it have an actual speed but I don't think anything can drive itself out of the building it was built in. Maybe it's also possible to edit the weight and length spec to make it "fit" on a truck.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes, only if the mod updates. What you could do to safeguard against that is to make a copy of the folder of the vehicle/structure/thing, place it right next to the original with a new name and make the edits to this copy. Pretend it's the -B model or mark. 3 etc, new in-game name saves from mixing them up.

Soviet Republic is fantastically easy to mod (except for adding new functionality).

You can also create a mod with the files and then, steam will keep it for you if you ever have to reinstall. I "fixed" a mod container facility and just never made it public.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Log082 posted:

I've actually tried to work out where containers would make sense, and as far as I can tell, they don't. You need a special packing/unpacking facility and loading/unloading times are never really a problem in this game, which is what makes containers actually useful in real life shipping. I haven't actually used them, so maybe I'm missing something, though.

I "made it work" with some mod building like a gigantic container loading facility which had large storage for goods and packed container linked with the port. Then, I could dump anything I over-produced via train distribution office. The big benefit this had IMO was the ship being loaded with nearly anything and you could send enough stuff to fill a large ship without needing some crazy array of warehouse/storage yard. Shipping food, uranium oxide and chemicals from the same point and with a single type of ship made it decently easy to manage.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My idea for how I'll run containerized export in my current save is similar, basically. There will be a containerizing facility near to the production area and I'll use distro offices to shuttle only 'overflow' goods (so, over 80% of some storage) to the container facility, and from there it'll go to rail and ship, or truck and ship if the volume is low enough. It'll just kind of set up a nice system where if its in a container, its being sold.

I have no idea why I would ever unpack anything, personally, unless its some weird edge case of buying containers from the borders to speed up loading?

I used to container workshop directly at the port because I didn't want to mess around with lines to move containers because you can't it with DO but it should still work.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Distro offices seem annoying but if they’re pretty much the first thing you get it’s fine as a starting tech.

I don’t hate the idea of research but it heavily depends on execution. I don’t have a strong feeling that for the length of which I play a save that it’ll ever be interesting to me. Universities should be able to have a sort of passive bonus you can enable if you split your professors away from teaching. Give me small loyalty bonuses for the generic university/party Hq, small health bonuses/reduction in alcohol need or something for medical ones. Tech has a whole host of options, I’d love to put my universities heavily on managing pollution.

It would be a lot more abstracted than anything else in the game but at least this keeps you needing to support universities separate from just pure education.

The more stuff you have to research, the more it will put a strain on your starting number of college educated workers you get wen importing your first batch of workers. Since they are already needed for a bunch of jobs even in a starter town, it might start to feel really thin.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

I used to only use them to always shove food and meat into big stores, generally because I found it a lot easier to jenga the layouts. Now with some modded storage, even that is marginal.

That said, if it can keep up with the mechanical parts factory, this would be a perfect use for it. What I want is "If we have >x% steel available, fork more into the mechanical parts factory." I can do this with a distro center and may still have to, but this would save some space. You're certainly right that I don't need them but they work here.

I can't think of other situations where they'd make sense, except maybe for something like trying to feed a whole bunch of chemical factories from a single nearby storage...? It really only makes sense for relatively low throughput items and even then only makes sense if it saves space. If you aren't at a premium, a distro center probably does a better job since you need road networks anyway.

Modded forklift give you a shot and their capacity being usable in a useful way if you are ok with that type of mods. If not, they usually are too slow to manage the required throughput for most application I tried using them.

RDO used to not be crossable by trains but this was changed later.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

I'll have to look again, but the last time I had looked at those mods they were either too unbalanced or aesthetically unsatisfying (I recall some just replaced the models with trucks, which looked sort of wonky.)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2068292305&searchtext=forklift

It use already in-game models but you might find them having too much capacity.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

can someone tell me why this train DO, on the bottom left, is telling me it can't find a path to the station at the top

The signals look ok from what I can see so my next guess is electric locomotive in the DO with no electric tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Small aircraft don't feel like they really have a place, yeah. Maybe if you want to do aesthetic tourist areas, but even those require significant staff that you probably want to house on site, and then need to service that is probably difficult to plane in. All of the "very small" labor requirement industries aren't things that you want remote: I don't need to produce asphalt and cement in nowheresville. Remote work sites beg for some kind of locational importance. Technically you could be ferrying lumber workers out somewhere, but you can also just plant trees. Oil fields don't require workers, and the only other location specific resources are mines that need dedicated trains or tons of trucks on a constant clip.

Small planes essentially don't work because convenience isn't a factor in game for the citizens and most industries area manpower heavy anyway. IRL, we can shuttle people by plane to industry sites because it eat much less of their personal time and many industry like mines have reduced manpower requirement via mechanization. In game, the train line hauling the output of the factory can be used to shuttle workers because they don't care for the 5 hours total commutes one way and the other way not existing. You could make a case to use them for modded hydro plant if their geographical location make it painful to run a line of any type there since power lines are decently forgiving on terrain and they require no other "input" than the manpower.

The only other industry with location requirement are mines and oil, both of which have metric rear end ton worth of products to haul away and one does not even require workers to run.