Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is maybe a stupid question, but I love the idea and aesthetic and setting of the game but the sheer level detail of the micro sounds a bit off-putting. I assume there aren't any settings or mods that limit it a little so it's not quite as full on, since I guess the micromanagement is the main part of the game?

There's some tunable difficulty settings. You can turn off fires, make the education system simpler, turn off pollution, turn off vehicle fuel, or even turn off buildings needing power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Oh can you drop people directly at factories? Will they also disperse to other facilities so you don't need to fit a bus stop in at the factory complex?

Also, if I set a platform to distribute workers say, 90%/10% to two factories, if the 90% factory is fully staffed, will the remainder go to the 10% factory? Or will they just disappear/not get on the bus?

Yes, no, yes, no

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

In that case I feel like the distribution percentages really should be like... numerical priorities? Like staff this building first, this one second, etc.

I believe it's something like a weighted random selection. Every time a worker shows up they have a 90% chance to decide on the 90% place. But if the 90% place is full the percentage is redistributed among the rest. Not sure if it's actually random but that's roughly how it seems to behave

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Volmarias posted:

Until father winter comes and litters snow across your roads! Micro busses are good but you definitely want to try to get an apartment building within walking distance of your critical facilities (power, heat) since pedestrians wear skis and skates and walk as fast as normal.

But those workers will die of pollution. And you'll need to plop a kindergarten and school and all that too. Maybe this is a good use case for cable cars though?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Curved. Bridges.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

And then how do the workers get up to the mine? :v:

I have used conveyors for the ore and cablecars for the workers and it seems to work pretty well.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Conveyor belts can usually get down mountains pretty well. I use some conveyor towers from the workshop to help them along

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anyone know a good map for making a big port and exporting lots of stuff by water? But not an actual island.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Kaugsaare (populated) is an island but does have a small “customs area” border checkpoint if that’s your hangup about an island.
As always, I highly recommend The Passages.

There’s a maps collection on the workshop called “Mini Nations” or something of that sort that has a lot of maps that kind of fit this bill. Once I’m on my home computer I can dig up the link if you don’t find it first.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2349706377 The Passage?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1939507219 Little nation map collection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

quote:

If you thought our virtual citizens milling about was lively before, wait until you see them lining up for goods and services, reminiscent of the iconic Soviet-era queues. This is not just about aesthetics; it is about adding a layer of realism and historical context.
Are we talking about this part? I didn't even think it was a joke.