Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Did you know this fancy comrade was a philosopher? Probably, so let's talk about him some. Communism is probably the most theoretical and philosophical of all 'mainstream' political ideologies (first conceptualised by Marxy Marx!), and that's always been one of my interests. Marx' unpublished Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right is maybe my favourite thing Marx ever wrote and if you're even slightly interested in German Idealism and (orthodox) marxism, definitely worth a read.

Of course, Marx is not the be-all end-all of leftist philosophy and I'd say anything goes here; it's important to keep an open mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

i probably don’t have the necessary philosophical background for it (because i haven’t read any marcuse and barely skimmed weber) bit I’m ploughing through jurgen habermas’ early work "technology and science as ideology"

its first chapters are pretty dry but now that i’ve gotten to the main argument it gets readable and quite frankly interesting! maybe it’s nothing new in tyool 2019 but for instance there’s a great section on how after the bourgeois revolutions and the implementation of capitalism, bourgeois states had to derive their legitimacy from something - but given that their ideologies are no longer based on attaining an ideal but rather compensating the failures of capitalism, bourgeois states reduced politics to the solving of technical problems. through this the bourgeoisie engineered the depoliticization of the masses, and thus science and technology took on the role of ideology in modern societies and legitimize the domination of the bourgeoisie.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

good thread op, I need to post here how Baudrillard is reactionary horseshit

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Victory Position posted:

Proceed

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Who's going to man up and do Fourier?

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
i liked rousseau cause discourses on inequality was like an 18th century anprim treatise

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Victory Position posted:

Thanks! And please do, I never read that much Baudrillard so any new way to read him is more thank welcome.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Marx is the be-all end-all of philosophy.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner posted:

Rand is the be-all end-all of philosophy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Plato's cave is some dumb loving bullshit, yea that's right I said it, and I have the honors freshman philosophy course experience to back that up

So-crates was always better anyway, he hung out with Bill and Ted, the true philosophers of our generation:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

stfu OP

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Taintrunner posted:

Rand is the bellend of all of philosophy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Guess you're a little too slow to discuss large-brained matters such as these, philosophically