Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Azhais posted:

Between "conspiracy to kill a cop" and "the Raven probably still has pull in the prison and also probably has thoughts about Barry being killed" it's safe to assume that Gene never made it to appeals

The credits text makes it clear he was still alive when the movie came out at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gene's first day in prison

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't remember if it's his defense or a common theory.

I only watched the show, and I don't remember it being brought up in court. But some of the people (I think the French journalist?) look into it so it's probably not just an internet theory. As I remember, the alleged weapon wasn't found so they would've needed just a plausible alternative to cause reasonable doubt.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The blow pipe! They did find it and it was like all dusty and spiderwebbed up in some corner of a garage or basement or something. It’s been a bit since I watched the documentary, but was there a reason the defense fixated on that being the murder weapon? Seems pretty stupid to bring that up in court if it wasn’t found and identified as the murder weapon.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I watched the whole season in one go. What a great show! Stephen Root looked like he was having a blast. My biggest laugh of the season was Fred Armisen as the assassin. All the gun stuff in the future was hilarious too.

Why do the satires of LA (Barry, Bojack) seem more hateful towards the city whereas the NYC satires (Kimmy Schmidt, The Other Two) are more loving?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because people from New York love New York, and people from LA hate LA.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Disco Godfather posted:

Why do the satires of LA (Barry, Bojack) seem more hateful towards the city whereas the NYC satires (Kimmy Schmidt, The Other Two) are more loving?

I've never met anyone who lived in LA who did not virulently hate LA

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PostNouveau posted:

I've never met anyone who lived in LA who did not virulently hate LA

I hate LA in that "I'm the only one allowed to poo poo-talk it, everyone else gets punched" kinda way.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Disco Godfather posted:

I watched the whole season in one go. What a great show! Stephen Root looked like he was having a blast. My biggest laugh of the season was Fred Armisen as the assassin. All the gun stuff in the future was hilarious too.

The Other Two is more a satire of the entertainment industry than of New York, and it’s a pretty biting one at that. But obviously the characters aren’t as fundamentally miserable as the ones in Barry or BoJack.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DarklyDreaming posted:

I hate LA in that "I'm the only one allowed to poo poo-talk it, everyone else gets punched" kinda way.

I have lived in both New York and LA. This is accurate of my feeling about LA.

New York is a great city that's easy to love. LA is a scorched-earth hellscape of sprawl that's impossible to get around and mostly looks like poo poo but also gently caress you, Brayden, if you don't like it move back to Tacoma or wherever, you don't have to live here.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Disco Godfather posted:

Half-joking, sometimes-hyperbolic rant incoming:

New Yorkers huff their own farts on the idea that they're the only city.

Like, the only one. LA is their pretentious gay younger brother, so they don't count. They're all the way over there being weird and Not New York, and all other cities aren't cities because they don't have convenience stores. a shocking number of New Yorkers legitimately believe they're the only place with bodegas.

Now, granted, I only visited Manhattan (I've heard the other boroughs actually do kick rear end), because I was a contestant on The Newlywed Game, but I loving hated it. It smelled like garbage soaked in urine and the food was bland as gently caress. How the gently caress do you make bacon and eggs taste like nothing? Went to three different highly-rated pizza places in midtown and it was all a loving cracker with ketchup on it that somebody thought the word "pizza" at when they were "cooking" it, but even then forgot to continue said thought past the first Z. Wanna' wash that down with something? Here's a $25 watered-down well whiskey. Evan Williams? poo poo no, son. You get a Canadian whiskey nobody on the loving planet has ever heard of that both tastes and smells like isopropyl gargled and spit into a Riddler-embossed Batman Forever novelty glass from Burger King that somebody found behind a moldy radiator.

But all of that would be fine if people weren't so goddamn high on their hometown pride that they never bother to learn that the rest of us actually do have the things they have there.

Never been to LA, but the prices and the traffic alone are why I never loving will and frankly, they also think they're the only city and since a sizable chunk of the people who live there aren't from there to begin with, I get big White Guy Who Moved To Hawaii Being Mad At All The Other White Guys Moving To Hawaii vibes from them.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Shageletic posted:

It maaaaaybe has my fav series finale ever?

This is a good version of it. Still like the original version better but it made me laugh

https://twitter.com/SP4CECOP/status/1663256983208591369/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1663256983208591369&currentTweetUser=SP4CECOP

gently caress, that is legit way better

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Half-joking, sometimes-hyperbolic rant incoming:

New Yorkers huff their own farts on the idea that they're the only city.

Like, the only one. LA is their pretentious gay younger brother, so they don't count. They're all the way over there being weird and Not New York, and all other cities aren't cities because they don't have convenience stores. a shocking number of New Yorkers legitimately believe they're the only place with bodegas.

Now, granted, I only visited Manhattan .

That's where you hosed up and also I stopped reading.

E: my god you're only talking about midtown. It's like trying to describe Atlanta from the food you get at its airport

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
LA as the gay brother is causing me immense pyschic damage

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Shageletic posted:

That's where you hosed up and also I stopped reading.

E: my god you're only talking about midtown. It's like trying to describe Atlanta from the food you get at its airport
Why would you cut off my post right at the point that I say I've heard the other boroughs actually do kick rear end to tell me off about how the other boroughs actually kick rear end?

And we explored a bunch of Manhattan. Not just midtown.

Snooze Cruise posted:

LA as the gay brother is causing me immense pyschic damage
I may or may not have drawn from my experience being the weird queer younger sibling.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

BrotherJayne posted:

gently caress, that is legit way better

Yeah just play out the whole song because it's a banger!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Other Two is more a satire of the entertainment industry than of New York, and it’s a pretty biting one at that. But obviously the characters aren’t as fundamentally miserable as the ones in Barry or BoJack.

I just marathoned The Other Two and this is a great follow up to Barry, especially Sally’s storylines. By season 3 it goes just over that magic realism line, in the same way Atlanta did. Cary is talented and broken in a similar way to Sally. I love it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Nobody's really mentioned how Barry got something of a 'glorious' death and probably died happier than most dying folks.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

GolfHole posted:

Nobody's really mentioned how Barry got something of a 'glorious' death and probably died happier than most dying folks.

Shot by a surrogate father figure, seconds after making the decision to do the right thing, but before getting the chance to do it?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Strawman posted:

Shot by a surrogate father figure, seconds after making the decision to do the right thing, but before getting the chance to do it?

Compare his reaction to getting shot to his reaction with Albert trying to get him to verbalize an admission to his crimes.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Big overview from Hader, Carrigan, Stephen Root, and several producers/crew on the show, the finale and Hank’s death scene :smith:

https://youtu.be/77pHZ0crXV0

edit: I forgot to that he talks about the influence of the Coen Brothers on “Barry,” which always seemed so prominent to me but really even more in S4

double edit: drat, that made me want to rewatch the whole series again

sticksy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 29, 2023

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

I really like that Hader talked about his mistake, this whole video was great.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Strawman posted:

Yea that's the one

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
How did Sally have Gene's number? He changed it since he fled to Israel and he had to give a new number to his son because the old number didn't work anymore.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

How did Sally have Gene's number? He changed it since he fled to Israel and he had to give a new number to his son because the old number didn't work anymore.

Yeah, I noticed this too and decided it was a plot hole they probably didn't think about much so I was going to ignore it also.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Gene is a boomer, he probably posted his phone number on the internet.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
A bit late to the party but just finished up... drat, this season was full of shockers and ends so bittersweet. A++ TV, this show has always had a way with actors and how they really preform with their faces, and it really shines this season. NoHo talking to Fuches and breaking down was such an incredible preformance... sad to see it go, but so glad to enjoy what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004