Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Rewatching with my SO, her first time Watching. She loves hank, as all right-thinking humans should. She loves Hank with Cristobol. Cristobols death is going to gut her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

mobby_6kl posted:

I had no idea it was the same guy either holy poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/sEoCSG3.mp4

I'm only now realizing he voiced Bill & Buck Strickland on King of the Hill, holy moly.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He'll always be Jimmy James to me.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

He'll always be Jimmy James to me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WeeA28dVI

sorry, this is the better version!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 7, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lmao

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

movie fucken ruled and pan shot was my favorite

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

ruddiger posted:

MY LORD!

THE QUEEN

IS DEAD

DO YOU MARK THAT?!

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

:actually: pans would make terrible body armor, especially against a Colt revolver. Furthermore, striking someone in the head with the butt of a gun will often result :words:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

The Prestige TV Podcast on the ringer is back with Bill for an ep6/7 discussion and one about ep8 will be later in the week

https://www.theringer.com/2023/6/7/23752082/barry-season-4-episodes-6-and-7-with-bill-hader

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ram dass in hell posted:

movie fucken ruled and pan shot was my favorite

I absolutely loved that scene (and Stephen Root!) but the story of "Mr. Pocket" was my favorite, it was so good :allears:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Good news

https://twitter.com/askhalid/status/1666555895076225024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also this

https://twitter.com/CaitlinLemonade/status/1666651835078434818

Feels like rear end in a top hat directors are also very ineffective ones

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Bill talking about the finale on the podcast is up

https://www.theringer.com/2023/6/9/23754934/bill-hader-on-the-end-of-barry

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This is just the best. Thank you. You love to hear it.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My partner hadn't seen this and I hadn't watched season 4 yet so we binged it together. It was also my third time with seasons 1 and 2, second watch of three..gotta say, this was one of the better shows as a whole and I will totally miss it.
I liked the finale, I liked the time skip and I picked up even more subtle details on this rewatch that made me appreciate how clever the writing was on this show.

[time skip thoughts- We see the fantasy version of the sally and son family unit in the show a few times, and I loved how the reality of it was the complete opposite..something we wouldn't get without that. I also loved the transition from Sally shocking him with her agreeing to flee to the direct consequence of their lives together..I thought it worked, and really disagree with everyone that said it halted the show's momentum or could have been done differently...]

Barry works so well as a complete binge-able show/story, the only minor nitpick she had being the noticeable difference in Bill Hader's appearance in the three-year gap between S2 and S3..part of me was almost jealous she got to experience the entire thing without having to wait like we did.

She also has not seen office space despite being a Mike Judge fan, and I think that might be the perfect stephen root follow-up.

Other fun fact, and I haven't listened to the posted finale podcast discussion yet so I have no idea if this was intentional or coincidental..barry and steve jobs have the same last words:

quote:

That said, his sister Mona Simpson briefly mentions his last words in her eulogy published in the New York Times. “Steve’s final words, hours earlier, were monosyllables, repeated three times,” she said. “Steve’s final words were ‘OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.'” The eulogy notes that Jobs repeated this phrase after looking at his sister, Patty, his children, and his life partner, Laurene.

I remember reading that back when he died and it stuck with me because "oh wow" is some weird last word poo poo, so I got a good laugh when hader drops it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dick Jones posted:

In the revised Jim Moss version of events, Gene somehow got the Chechens to bankroll his acting class and Ryan found out so he had Ryan whacked? Then who ordered Barry to shoot the Chechens in the car? And if Gene's behind it all why would he then go on to date the detective investigating the killings?

It's hard to connect the dots from where the finale ends to Gene going down for the murders. I'm going to have to assume he has the worst loving attorneys.

Also hard to square Sally just leaving him in there when she could correct the record.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PostNouveau posted:

Also hard to square Sally just leaving him in there when she could correct the record.

The price you pay for not picking up a friend at the airport :colbert:

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Just like Dwight finally getting to fire Jim, it’s nice that Gene finally got to shoot Barry.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Third time's the charm

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Rewatching it, it says a lot about Barry that when Sally left him he immediately assumed she went to Gene. And it says a lot about her development that she didn’t.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

lifg posted:

Rewatching it, it says a lot about Barry that when Sally left him he immediately assumed she went to Gene. And it says a lot about her development that she didn’t.

His realization that she really hadn't gone to Gene was the tipping point in abandoning whatever fantasy life he still thought they could wring out and deciding to turn himself in. Obviously this decision is short lived

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

very funny that Barry’s hair grows a Superman spit-curl in the scene where he finally decides to do the right thing (and then gets immediately owned)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

PostNouveau posted:

It's hard to connect the dots from where the finale ends to Gene going down for the murders. I'm going to have to assume he has the worst loving attorneys.

Law enforcement had its own narrative ready to go and were missing lots of information. It's also very possible Gene wasn't in any shape to help with his own defense, and even if he were I don't know how many details he could've given to help his defense, and so much of what he could've brought up (the money, shooting his son, being afraid of Barry, etc.) could've been twisted against him. And as others have brought up, him shooting Barry immediately after Barry said he was going to turn himself in to the cops doesn't paint him in a good light. What did he think Barry would say that would make him shoot Barry? If he was so afraid of Barry, how was he able to shoot him?

Even if he's as capable as possible and knocks his testimony out of the park in his own defense, the prosecutor just has to be like "Wow what a performance that was, he really is such a great actor" and he's screwed, especially in the world of Barry. With how people have been presented on this show, it's very easy for me to see how he'd end up convicted.

To me Sally leaving Gene in the lurch is easily squared when we see her so self-interested and not thinking to say "I love you" back to her son. The events of the finale made her realize that she does care for her son and that staying with Barry wouldn't be good for either of them. But that was also how she felt in the heat of the moment while she was under very intense stress and she thought she'd never see her son again. Then those feelings likely faded over time until eventually she reverted into the same sort of person she'd always been at her core.

I feel like once Barry dies she quickly realized she had a lot to lose by telling as much of the truth as she could to help Gene, and initially she probably thought "Well I can't leave my son without a mother, so I can't get myself in trouble." Then as the years go by and she's able to live under her own name and in public, and with Barry ending up with a good reputation, I think the self-interest becomes much more prominent and it's more about just "I can't get myself in trouble."

Basically in my mind she was too much in "I need to look out for my son" mode for awhile after Barry died, and then she was too much in "I gotta look out for me" mode to want to help Gene out or correct the record. So either way she'd have strong reasons for not taking action in that direction, but I just feel like her motivation behind that decision changed over time.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
We also don't know if Gene is appealing the decision or how that might be going. Juries sometimes convict people for stupid reasons only for them to be released on appeal later. I just watched The Staircase on Netflix, and they convicted a dude of murder based on the hard evidence of "he was a gross bisexual". I don't see anything unbelievable about a jury convicting Gene based on the public narrative.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Whatever selfishness Sally had in the fast forward scene just seemed pretty normal to me especially considering the last 4 seasons. It felt real in a rueful "parents be that way sometimes" instead of the arch and insanely toxic poo poo we saw beforehand. It felt like a good and positive ending for their characters.

Hader really gave it to his other characters, all in service of the world's roughest chuckle.

"Barry was buried with full honors."

Loooooool

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
In my head canon Gene didn’t fight at his trial. He finally found peace, and was happy to spend his peace in a jail cell.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 27 days!)

lifg posted:

In my head canon Gene didn’t fight at his trial. He finally found peace, and was happy to spend his peace in a jail cell.

I took it that way, too. Not as good a result as being publically adored for taking down the psycho killer, but he can probably sleep easy for the rest of his life now and who knows how bad prison would really be for him.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I assumed that since she's not hiding any more she did go to the police and tell them everything she knew. It's just that what she knew was that... Barry was arrested for killing Janice. I'm not sure what she could say or prove that would exonerate Gene

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't see how Gene doesn't end up in prison, no matter what. He shot his own son and executed Barry in front of a witness. There's no getting away from that.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also, juries are notorious for convicting people based on personal impressions of defendants. I think Gene is pretty broken by the end, and can easily see a scenario where he kind of just sits there and stares out the window during the trial. That sort of demeanor could easily be mistaken for coldness and / or a lack of remorse.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Gene gives the same "I'm a cop vet killer" speech that Barry did in prison, but nobody believes him because they think he's just quoting a line from the movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I want a spin off of Gene running a rag tag bunch of prison misfits in a theatrical production now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The SHU players present Chicago!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

SimonChris posted:

We also don't know if Gene is appealing the decision or how that might be going. Juries sometimes convict people for stupid reasons only for them to be released on appeal later. I just watched The Staircase on Netflix, and they convicted a dude of murder based on the hard evidence of "he was a gross bisexual". I don't see anything unbelievable about a jury convicting Gene based on the public narrative.

Wait wasn’t that the guy whose previous marriage ended with his wife dead at the bottom of the staircase, and his defense was ‘an owl did it’?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Wait wasn’t that the guy whose previous marriage ended with his wife dead at the bottom of the staircase, and his defense was ‘an owl did it’?

hmm I do remember being warned in the early 90s that the owls are not what they seem...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Between "conspiracy to kill a cop" and "the Raven probably still has pull in the prison and also probably has thoughts about Barry being killed" it's safe to assume that Gene never made it to appeals

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This is exactly the plot of Trial & Error season one.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

EL BROMANCE posted:

I want a spin off of Gene running a rag tag bunch of prison misfits in a theatrical production now.

absolutely criminal that we didn't get a Paddington 2 credits scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don't remember if it's his defense or a common theory.