Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

this episode ruled. i was completely blindsided by the direction everything took and have no further comment at this time besides, gat dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

lol redeemable Barry is dead.

was redeemable Barry ever alive? maybe before s1e7? idk

the new episode was great. I really hope this series ends with Barry eating the biggest poo poo pie anyone has ever eaten in tv history

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I recently rewatched some s1 and s2 episodes via On Demand, and when you watch them that way sometimes at the end there is a short "extra" segment where Hader or Alec Berg will talk about the episode.

Anyway, in one of these Hader was talking about how many fans liked Barry and were rooting for him, and he said "I mean it's like, come ON, people! Barry is not a nice guy!"

Seems like so far this season, they are going all-in on showing us just how bad of a dude he is.

it's the mid-point of season 4, Barry has now killed, execution-style, Mr. Cousineau and his entire family; Sally and Natalie and the entire set of Joplin; Hank and Cristobal by stabbing them both in the nuts; brought bac Sasha, Jermaine, Eric, Antonio, Nick under the premise of a one night only tribute to Gene's life only to burn them all alive inside of the old theatre to cover up evidence; gone back and found where Sharon Lucado and the kid are now and strangled both of them in their sleep; and still people on the internet would be like "drat man I can't believe all these assholes keep standing in Barry's way! when are they ever gonna ease off and just let this guy find some redemption?!"

e: I gots it!
Barry, swinging the 2 still living dogs of what was once 30 around like nunchuks as he kicks aside chunks of dog corpse, "WHY WON'T ANYONE JUST LET ME GET A SECOND CHANCE"
finally, twitter: "gently caress he killed 28 dogs?! this guy's a piece of poo poo! BOOOO"

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 2, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mandrel posted:

also the part of me that's always enjoyed the action on this show really hopes hank brings in barry to counter Cristobal's Uncle(?)'s elite army and he just destroys them. it's obvious and probably the opposite of what Hader wants to do hetr, but come onnnn

I guess I do root for barry to kill actually, the critics are right. killing is awesome

with Barry's twisted quest for forgiveness, I could see Hank manipulating him into this by promising to forgive him for killing [everyone] last season

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

new episode was real good. kinda just want this season to end with Gene strangling Barry to death while everyone watches and cheers

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's already been a confirmation for season 4.

ghost barry inhabits gene's body and forces him to kill for 8 riveting, hilarious, series-closing episodes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

GET BACK IN THERE! That's my least favorite story of the 6, and outside of the recitation of Ozymandias at the beginning the whole thing is really slow and boring, and yes the end is dumb and needlessly cruel. It sucks.

BUT. After that you get to watch Tom Waits dig for gold and commune with nature for 20 minutes (I'd give it a B, non-Waits fans maybe a C) but after that is The Girl Who Got Rattled which may be one of my favorite Coen Brothers things full stop. It's based on a short story that is maybe 5 pages long, and the amount that they're able to draw out of such a small piece of source material blows my mind.

The last story is a bottle episode of people telling stories in a haunted(?) stagecoach. It's fine.

coward. give the tom waits vignette the A it deserves. like a B- for a non-Waits fan

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

barry's gonna have to kill a child imo

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

I know the show likes to surprise us but I don't see them killing Sally. Maybe the kid but not Sally.

the viewers: oh man, barry's totally gonna kill a kid
the show surprising us: barry is gonna kill every kid

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Joe Mantegna is an incredible cameo for me personally as a Criminal Minds fanboy

e: oh man every NoHo Hank scene is just loving clean and rad and beautiful, bro

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

I was not in any way expecting the end. This show continues to surprise me.

seriously, i try not to theorycraft too hard but the things they come up with are so far out of the box my imagination is living in, i love it. need a dozen more scenes of Hank just being loving and tender

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

we had never met the mom and kid before but that was Barry's victim from the pilot episode, and we had met Ryan Madison's dad at the uhhh memorial performance show or whatever you would call it

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/barry-sarah-goldberg-season-3-speech-1235256228/

incredible interview here about the new episode, lots of good info and obviously spoilers

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I listened to the prestige tv podcast and Bill said about the speech, originally they shot it as a big speech where Sally goes off doing basically a "Chris Rock comedy routine" walking across the stage, poo poo talking Pam for her show only getting a 22% and I hope to god they release that cut some day

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

oh jay posted:

Will this breakup be an impetus for Barry to look at himself and grow

does "grow" mean kill? and kill some more? if so, then yes - barry will "grow" quite a lot of human beings in the next 4 episodes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

more great interviews with barry cast members content:

https://collider.com/barry-season-3-henry-winkler-interview-gene-cousineau-bill-hader/

quote:

HENRY WINKLER: I will tell you, hands down, the honest truth, my career started on June 30, 1970, with the Yale Repertory Theater, and from then until now, this is the most intense work I have ever done in my entire career, in any genre. There is a scene coming, and I can’t tell you what it was, but it was done all in one shot that I cannot believe my acting partner and I accomplished.

oh baby dont tease me like that henry. fuckin hell i cant wait

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I thought we already knew it was going to have a fourth season? Or was it that they planned out season 4 at the same time as 3?

they had written s4 but HBO hadn't officially renewed it until now

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

there are only 4 dang episodes left of this season. I've been doing another re-watch since the show goes down so smooth and easy, I really hope we get to see more characters have scenes with Hank before the show ends. I want Gene/Hank and Sally/Hank most of all

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'm loving Gene's attempts to earn actual forgiveness playing alongside Barry's complete lack of attempt to do the same

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

He probably does. There were enough people there that reconnecting with even 1 marine from your unit could get the entire story. If anything I would say not only does Albert know what happened, that's one of the reasons he suspects Barry. He knows what Barry is capable of.

i didn't get any indication Albert suspects Barry at all yet. the reading on "yeah, that sounds like him" or w/e could be interpreted like that I guess but I don't see it as a hard push either way. what we've seen of Albert/Barry together in the military is that they were best buds, and that he really really really liked it when Barry murked those 3 dudes. after his initial reaction to the Chechen/Bolivian thing is to just barrel the gently caress in and cause some violence, I bet he ends up being a murderous nutjob just like Barry in the end

that's right folks, we're getting Super Murder Bros

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

put some respect on Payback Ladies

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

he hasn't said he did it specifically because of the positive response to Barry but he does touch on it a bit in some of The Prestige podcasts he did for The Ringer.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I do not think Barry was trying especially hard to be a good dude before or during the shooting of Chris in the face

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

next week is "candy asses" and the 12th is the finale, "starting now"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Phenotype posted:

well, I love candy, and I love asses, so

So how did Chris's wife find out Barry killed him? I got that he saw Fuches' fake business card there, but I didn't think Fuches knew about what happened with Chris and the marine from the biker gang.

Taylor + Vaughn both die attacking the Bolivians, Chris dies via suicide the same day, Barry is still alive after and Fuches knows he was working with Taylor - probably not too difficult for Fuches to put that puzzle together. he doesn't even need to say Barry killed Chris either necessarily, just get it in Sharon's head that Chris is dead because of his involvement with Barry and really froth up all the negative emotions brewing inside. he didn't tell Ryan Madison's father Barry killed him either, just that he "stole" his life. and heck, maybe it wasn't solely Mr. Kenneth Goulet. maybe Fuches had put the idea there originally and she wasn't into it because she didn't know who the heck this random dude was but then Albert came along and reinforced the idea of Barry being responsible/the killer in some way. I'm excited to get the answer next episode either way

Sharon's kid is definitely eating the poisoned beignets when he gets home from hooping, right? Vanessa Bayer killed it in her scene and I am so dang hype for whatever nightmare is about to unfold with Annie and Gene

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Another Bill posted:

My streaming service won't let me take a screen shot but there's something illegible written on the back of the Kenneth Goulet card. I feel like that's a clue to the who/when/where stuff.

gonna look through the previous episodes and see if there's ever a card we can get with a better view of the back but I bet it's just Barry's address

e: pulled up all the sauces, Kyle shows the back of the card at about 11:43~ and it is the address

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 30, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it goes by so quickly and I never have a dang clue where any of it is going. all of the Sally scenes were so good, though her stepping into the dark while yelling at Lindsay felt a little forced. the mirroring Barry at the end of s2 part was nice but I just thought the shot looked kind of bad

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 6, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

listening to The Prestige podcast, Bill mentions that Natalie was actually taking notes during the algorithm scene about what it liked and what worked, and used that to create her show

he also talked about a canned idea for this episode where Dr. Madison shows up to Barry's apartment to find the entire acting class there, and then he starts blasting

this last episode is gonna be dark huh

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

spent all night and all morning thinking about how good this dang show is. there are so many threads left hanging, I wonder how many real answers we even get in the finale. most of all, I want to know what Sharon's divine punishment will be for trying to kill Barry. if it weren't so similar to what Annabeth Gish's story is/was, I would assume Sharon's kid comes home and eats the delicious beignets still sitting out on the kitchen table. really wondering if we get anything more with Katie this season too. god please give us a 45 minute finale

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

He'll never get that life.

he will also never put in any of the work required to get that life

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the hardest part of season 3 ending will be saying goodbye to Big Cat

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

one thing I strongly appreciated on a season 3 re-watch is Sally telling Natalie how she wants to lift other women up with her. probably a little difficult right now but she should feel proud for making Natalie so successful

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bill talks a little about the end of s3 -> s4 here, obviously some BIG OLE SPOILERS in here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/bill-hader-barry-season-three-finale-interview-1235163938/

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

The whole episode was so loving fast. Several scenes where I felt sick from the brutality. God drat, I don't think I'll be able to even have an opinion about this episode until I can sleep on it and watch it again. Did anyone else think Barry should have been smart enough not to walk into the trap? It felt a little predictable when i would have liked something from out of left field. I am bad at predicting what's happening in stories but I felt like it was so obviously a trap that Barry would see it too, no matter how crazed he is. it still works well enough and everything else about this episode is absolutely s-tier television.

another interview from Bill, with a line that I think addresses this well and simply:

https://www.vulture.com/article/barry-season-3-finale-bill-hader-interview-starting-now.html

quote:

He’s not Jason Bourne or Walter White. He’s not a genius. He’s a very dumb guy.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mover posted:

season 4 is clearly just Hank, back in cali, taking the beigne franchise nationwide with absolutely no reference to barry, sally, or the Raven

he would 100% name a signature recipe beignet after Barry

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so I think this post may serve better as a tortured reddit theorycrafting post but, the Swim Instructors scene breakdown is a mirror of what's going on in Barry maybe?

scene 1: JT loses his girlfriend by having the horns of the cuckold forced upon him, loss
scene 2: JT seeks revenge by making GBS threads in the pie, grief
scene 3: JT ends up eating the poo poo pie by mistake, comeuppance
scene 4: there's a little girl drowning but JT does not need to go save her, because he already taught her to swim

lost his sense of purpose (killing people); creates the poo poo-laced pie when he kills Janice and leaves her body at the cabin; eats the poo poo pie by mistake thinking he is saving Gene; Barry taught Sally to "swim" somehow and he's going to get redemption through whatever she does in s4?

anyway - show rules

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the noise seems to be the handcuffs on Hank jingling as he moves his arm down Cristobal's side

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

minato posted:

At the end of S3E8 when Barry calls Sally to arrange for them to leave, he ends it with "Hey Sally.... I love you." and I thought Sally responded ".... love you too." but the subtitles actually say "Oh, you do?"

I've rewatched it a few times and it still sounds like she says "love you too". But the subtitled version makes much more sense, especially when the camera reveals where she is.

bill said on one of the podcasts that she says "love you too," just a bad subtitling job by whoever hbo contracted it out to

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

mcbexx posted:

I had to look it up, because I couldn't even come up with a third female character with enough screentime or impactful performance to warrant a nomination. I thought of the shrink, but figured the part was too small compared to the others to get a nod.

No diss on Sarah Niles, she was pretty good, if not a bit one-note in her deadpan, distanced characterization, but picking her over Goldberg seems a bit rough if you compare the two performances - especially if you consider Niles winning over Waddington and Temple would be a longshot in the first place.

apple paid hella bucks to get those noms. why doesnt hbo love barry to the tune of several million dollars in bribes like apple loves ted lasso, smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://deadline.com/2022/08/barry-patrick-fischler-season-4-hbo-series-recurring-1235095460/

Patrick Fischer kicks rear end and he's gonna be awesome in barry