Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Were we supposed to know who the guy in the bed was, or the son (Ryan) of the doctor?

The guy in the bed is from the very first scene of episode 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
While I still enjoy the show, I miss when Barry trying to become an actor was a major part of the concept, rather than what now feels like a minor subplot. We've had, like, one scene at Laws of Humanity the entire season and no acting classes or anything.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

My streaming service won't let me take a screen shot but there's something illegible written on the back of the Kenneth Goulet card. I feel like that's a clue to the who/when/where stuff.

You can just turn off hardware acceleration in the browser settings and screenshot and record to your heart's content.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Barry gets back together with Sally, who asks him to take revenge.

The last scene of the finale is Natalie returning home to find her dog replaced with a slightly different dog.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Been rewatching the first two seasons because I forgot so much that comes up in the third.

Totally forgot about the episode where Barry gets his rear end beat by a preteen girl holy poo poo is it funny

I liked that episode in isolation, but it feels weirdly disconnected from the rest of the show. The fact that the girl saw their faces never comes up again, even though they make a big deal out of it at the time. Barry is also seriously injured, but in the next episode he is perfectly fine, and there is no mention of the girl ever again.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, actually. I hadn't thought abut that, but that must have been kinda hard to film without actually crushing the actor. Then again, maybe they simply filmed his final scene first. That's probably the simplest explanation.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/barry-cristobal-michael-irby-death-sand-1235596871/

According to this article, the "sand" was actually ground corn husk, which is much lighter than real sand.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Robobot posted:

Quick question because I can’t check at work and me and a coworker are disagreeing on something, did that agent offer Sally a job of $70k a meeting to teach acting or was he saying he’d represent her for that much a meeting he books?

He offered her $70k per movie to coach the actors, not per meeting.

Edit: I rewatched, and the exact dialogue is "I'd start at seventy thousand per movie", which is a bit ambiguous, but is clearly him advising her on how much she should charge.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 5, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I didn’t read the scene like this. I didn’t rewatch it, but I understood he was offering to be her (acting, not coaching) agent, and she’d have to take some horrifically bad roles where he guaranteed her $70k per film, until she did enough to reclaim her status and get better roles. He’s salivating at it because he knows she’s an excellent actor and wants to get in early because he thinks he can rise up the ranks alongside her.

The agent even explicitly talks about her trying to scoop the role, and how good her performance was compared to his actress. Him acknowledging this makes it extremely clear that she is a terrible coach because she’s only there for herself. What agent wants an acting coach for his clients that is going to actively attempt to steal roles from them, or to show directors just how terrible his client really is at acting?

That feels like career suicide for the agent.

Barry posted:

Guy: "Kristen's a delicate flower. She is incredibly self-conscious, and if it was up to her, she'd stay in Utah working for her parents. But with you, she could actually be good."
Sally: "No thanks."
Guy: "I'd start at 70 thousand per movie. You'd be able to meet the biggest directors and producers in the business. You could get your career back on track. I saw what you were doing back there, trying to scoop that role. It's okay. It's commendable. I can't have you doing that on every movie, but I can help you. I can help you get the roles, the best roles that you are appropriate for. I'll let you think about it."

I read that to mean that she would start as an acting coach but would eventually be able to get roles herself.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Not to mention @ 70k and living close to the studios probably means you have at least one roommate.

It is per movie, not per year. The actual shooting part of movie production typically only takes a couple of months, so she could likely do several in a year.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snoremac posted:

I'm assuming it's not clear what happened to the burglar's eye? He was talking like Sally did something which on the face of it seems impossible.

He was quoting the guy she stabbed in the eye last season. It was a hallucination.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope the next episode is a "Three Men and Adena" type story that takes place entirely in the interrogation room and wins all the Emmys. I think the writers could pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utz7dClllx8

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait, how does the fake movie version of events explain Barry trying to kill Mr. Moss at the end of the last season? That's a pretty big thing to leave out. I guess it is supposed to be a lovely movie.

It also just occurred to me that they never explained how Moss explained knowing about the 250k. He can't very well tell the DA he tortured Barry, so that leaves the reporter's notebook, which he also got by torturing someone. Did they just take his word for it?

I enjoyed the watch, but the writing seemed to get increasingly sloppy towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We also don't know if Gene is appealing the decision or how that might be going. Juries sometimes convict people for stupid reasons only for them to be released on appeal later. I just watched The Staircase on Netflix, and they convicted a dude of murder based on the hard evidence of "he was a gross bisexual". I don't see anything unbelievable about a jury convicting Gene based on the public narrative.