Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Welcome to Let's Play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion... BLIND! :catdrugs:

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?
Hi, I'm uzworm and a while back I did an LP of TES V: Skyrim. From what I've gathered in the time during and since, apparently nobody likes that game anymore but me. For years, I've heard a non-stop chorus of "Oblivion and Morrowind are better!!" when talking about my like of it. Sadly, Skyrim has always been the only thing I've known; it's the only TES game I've ever played!

I figure it's time to change that. In this thread I'll be diving into the depths of Skyrim's predecessor, blind as a bat to whatever I'm going to be witnessing. (And not just because the game is dark as poo poo with no working brightness meter!) Pray for me.

WHAT'S THE PLAN HERE?
I'm not going it alone, thankfully.

I'll have at least one or two people who actually know the game with me at all times, and at the start I'm going to at least try to stay on course for whatever the main plot of the game is. (It's a Bethesda game, we all know that's not actually going to happen.) After that, sky's the limit. I really want to do the Dark Brotherhood quest to compare it to Skyrim's, but other than that I have no idea what wacky poo poo we'll be getting into.

Actually, given how much I absolutely hate this game, it's probably gonna end after I finish the main quest :gonk:

WHAT MODS ARE WE USING?
Like my Skyrim LP before this, I'm going to start off modless so I can experience the game the way the idiots at Bethesda meant it to be experienced!

Shut up, Chitlin.

Seriously though, I'll be adding mods in as we go so it becomes a smoother ride. Hopefully, at least. Let me know if there's any specifically that you think would smooth my gameplay experience.

WHO'S WITH YOU?
I have a few folks who know the game that will be guiding me along: namely KillerEmcee, Psychedelic Eyeball, and Inhindenburg.

WHO'S OUR HERO?
You may remember our intrepid hero Mr. Puffles from Skyrim. Obviously this game can't have him in it, because it takes place several centuries before Skyrim does. That doesn't mean, of course, that we can't have a Legend of Zelda-esque timeline with several Mr. Puffleses appearing throughout the history of Tamriel.

This one isn't quite as good-looking as his future descendent.

Yeah. Poor guy. You think the old Puffles hated Morndas? This guy's gotta be a grump.

Hopefully what he lacks in looks he'll make up for in combat finesse or something. I'm going to try and emulate Skyrim Puffles in playstyle as well, selecting the Barbarian class and working with heavy blunt-force weaponry and whatnot. Expect far worse results than we got last time.

SPOILERS?
Yeah, this time I'm actually going in without a clue here so no spoilers please!

UPLOAD SCHEDULE?
When I actually have videos available (having all three other people available at the same time for several hours of recording isn't easy) I'll be uploading a video a week or so, normally on Sundays but we all know how I do with "upload schedules".

PLAY YOUR ACCORDI-

IS THIS GOING TO BE FULL OF BAD LADY GAGA PARODIES AGAIN?
Most likely not, because it's unlikely something is going to catch my heart like Joanne did back in 2016 when I was doing Skyrim.

...That said, I make no promises. LG6 should be coming out soon, after all! :getin:

:siren: UPDATES :siren:
Episode 1 - Mr. Puffles is Ugly
Episode 2 - Mr. Puffles Starts the Plot
Episode 3 - Mr. Puffles Goes Fishin'
Episode 4 - Mr. Puffles & the Inconsequential Fort
Episode 5 - Mr. Puffles Can't Aim
Episode 6 - Mr. Puffles, Master Sinner
Episode 7 - Mr. Puffles Goes to Hell
Episode 8 - Mr. Puffles Does it Himself
Episode 9 - Mr. Puffles Experiences Karma
Episode 10 - Mr. Puffles is Led Astray
Episode 11 - Mr. Puffles' Acrobatics Increased
Episode 12 - Mr. Puffles in the City
Episode 13 - Mr. Puffles Saves Correctly
Episode 14 - Mr. Puffles' Reading Comprehension
Episode 15 - Mr. Puffles Walks & Waits
Episode 16 - Mr. Puffles Blows His Cover
Episode 17 - Mr. Puffles Cr-
Episode 18 - Birthday Stream
Episode 19 - Mr. Puffles Back 2 Hell
Episode 20 - Mr. Puffles, Accidental Crimelord
Episode 21 - Mr. Puffles Hurts Himself
Episode 22 - Mr. Puffles' Ghost Adventures
Episode 23 - Mr. Puffles' Really Long Day
Episode 24 - Mr. Puffles Entertains Us
Episode 25 - Mr. Puffles Hates Diplomacy
Episode 26 - Mr. Puffles' Tome of Jokes
Episode 27 - Mr. Puffles Gets Spooked
Episode 28 - Mr. Puffles Angers Everyone
Episode 29 - Mr. Puffles' Pedestrian Paradise
Episode 30 - Mr. Puffles Wins by Doing Nothing

UZworm fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
MISC. NONSENSE

ultrabindu shows us all how I play video games. Not just Oblivion, just video games
https://i.imgur.com/3ilny8i.mp4

UZworm fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 27, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't wait to see the shenanigans involved!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:sterv:

Really excited about this. :neckbeard:

Did some sadistic mage conduct horrible disfiguring magical experiments on poor Mr Puffles greatgreatetc grandfather as a child?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not intending to bust your balls or anything but did you finish the Skyrim LP? It feels like it's been two years now.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

RareAcumen posted:

Not intending to bust your balls or anything but did you finish the Skyrim LP? It feels like it's been two years now.

Kinda sorta. I did end up doing everything that I had intended to with the LP (Main Quest, Dawnguard, Dark Brotherhood) and even though I originally intended to do some other stuff (Dragonborn, mod stuff) after those three things, it was becoming too draining to keep going with and so I decided to just end it after the Dark Brotherhood instead of trying to start another quest line and having it possibly end halfway through. Unfortunately, by the time I hit that point the SA thread had already closed so there was never any real announcement. :v:

Worth noting that the way I'm recording this LP is so much quicker and easier than Skyrim was (I was doing the old "record videos, edit them, send out to people, they do commentary over them, I edit that in as well, release video" method) that it should be a big improvement on both productivity and energy.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 1, 2019

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Oh man, I'm so hyped for this, I loved your Skyrim LP, and I get the feeling this is going to be just as good, if not better.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Please God use the enhanced textures mod.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

UZworm posted:

Kinda sorta. I did end up doing everything that I had intended to with the LP (Main Quest, Dawnguard, Dark Brotherhood) and even though I originally intended to do some other stuff (Dragonborn, mod stuff) after those three things, it was becoming too draining to keep going with and so I decided to just end it after the Dark Brotherhood instead of trying to start another quest line and having it possibly end halfway through. Unfortunately, by the time I hit that point the SA thread had already closed so there was never any real announcement. :v:

Worth noting that the way I'm recording this LP is so much quicker and easier than Skyrim was (I was doing the old "record videos, edit them, send out to people, they do commentary over them, I edit that in as well, release video" method) that it should be a big improvement on both productivity and energy.

Oh okay cool. I'm glad to hear that you got a better set up that's less draining on your part now. I liked the LP but my memory is terrible so you could've told me that was 4 years ago and I'd believe you.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Wait, people actually like Oblivion more than Skyrim? Morrowind I get, but I seem to recall Oblivion getting a more "meh" reception, and I quite enjoyed Skyrim.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

RareAcumen posted:

Oh okay cool. I'm glad to hear that you got a better set up that's less draining on your part now. I liked the LP but my memory is terrible so you could've told me that was 4 years ago and I'd believe you.

Last episode having gone up in Jan 18, it's just over a year since its demise, but it took almost two years for me to even get to that last episode so it might as well have been.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Please God use the enhanced textures mod.

Link? And oh yeah, does anyone know a mod that increases the brightness of the game? The impossible darkness if you're torchless is easily the most annoying part so far.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you ... i've seen you ... let me see your face ... you are the one from my dreams ... then the stars were right ... and this is the day ... gods give me strength ...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

UZworm posted:

For years, I've heard a non-stop chorus of "Oblivion and Morrowind are better!!" when talking about my like of it.

Wait what
People actually prefer Oblivion to Skyrim?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

UZworm posted:

Link? And oh yeah, does anyone know a mod that increases the brightness of the game? The impossible darkness if you're torchless is easily the most annoying part so far.

Texture pack here and I never did find any decent brightness mods Except this one that enhanced torches.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I haven't played Oblivion in years. I had it on the Xbox and beat it there, then put it on PC and modded it so much that it was unstable.

I always forget how potato everyone looks until I see it again.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Bremen posted:

Wait, people actually like Oblivion more than Skyrim? Morrowind I get, but I seem to recall Oblivion getting a more "meh" reception, and I quite enjoyed Skyrim.

I can kinda see it. Skyrim took quite a few steps backward from Oblivion, IMO. It's just that it took more, and also larger, steps forward. It's leagues more playable and fun than Oblivion ever was, no matter how regrettable it is that they severely simplified the RPG systems and left out some fun features (RIP spell crafting)

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 1, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So just to clarify, is the LP blind in the sense that you haven't played it before/read any guides, or in the sense that Mr. Puffles has been rendered blind by whatever made him look like... that?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So just to clarify, is the LP blind in the sense that you haven't played it before/read any guides, or in the sense that Mr. Puffles has been rendered blind by whatever made him look like... that?

Both, ideally.

:siren: UPDATE :siren:
Episode 2 - Mr. Puffles Starts the Plot

Even though I actually have a schedule planned for this, since we're just getting this thing started I figured I'd throw out a second episode! And that's no foolin'.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
You’ve now gotten farther than I did in Oblivion.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

White Coke posted:

You’ve now gotten farther than I did in Oblivion.

That’s a shame. The ending is about 5 minutes away.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
oh no

OH NO

This is gonna be a hard watch.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

I can kinda see it. Skyrim took quite a few steps backward from Oblivion, IMO. It's just that it took more, and also larger, steps forward. It's leagues more playable and fun than Oblivion ever was, no matter how regrettable it is that they severely simplified the RPG systems and left out some fun features (RIP spell crafting)

I largely agree, and I personally find Skyrim far more enjoyable. But at the same time, I'm kinda worried in a sense. After we went from Fallout New Vegas, to Fallout 4, to Fallout 76, I think I'm starting to understand why those people were so upset by those things being taken out of the game. So I can't help but feel worried about what EO6 is going to hold, and how many steps forward and how many steps back its going to take.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: UPDATE :siren:

Episode 3 - Mr. Puffles Goes Fishin'

This should teach my co-commentary crew not to ask me to do anything outside the main quest lest we accomplish the same level of aptitude as this video. 99% of the video is me wandering around a lake, the other 1% is me trying to figure out Oblivion's UI.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I largely agree, and I personally find Skyrim far more enjoyable. But at the same time, I'm kinda worried in a sense. After we went from Fallout New Vegas, to Fallout 4, to Fallout 76, I think I'm starting to understand why those people were so upset by those things being taken out of the game. So I can't help but feel worried about what EO6 is going to hold, and how many steps forward and how many steps back its going to take.
Yeah, the thing is Oblivion already took a lot of steps backward from Morrowind and ended up being an utterly bland piece of poo poo. Skyrim just stopped pretending it was an RPG and ended up (slightly) better for it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah, making the comparison to Morrowind probably would have been better. Oblivion feels like a mess even before talking about what was and wasnt cut out.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I haven't watched the videos yet so maybe you mention it there, but are you going to be doing the DLC? I've heard Shivering Isles is good, though I've never even finished the main quest in the base game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Ah, a scaly khajiit.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's that dark to encourage you to use the torches that are everywhere, or to use magic to brighten it up

Got to show off that next gen dynamic lighting and shadow tech!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Alternatively since you're a catman you get a night-vision spell you can use to help you see.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Grizzwold posted:

I haven't watched the videos yet so maybe you mention it there, but are you going to be doing the DLC? I've heard Shivering Isles is good, though I've never even finished the main quest in the base game.

I mention in the latest video that I *think* they were all included in the Steam version so they'll be available if I want to give them a go.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

So, how much are you wanting to break this game, in your favor? Because compared to Skyrim, there are, well, things in this game that can, let’s say, enhance your play. Quite a few things, in fact. Some of which might result in various levels of hilarity.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's been a while since I played Oblivion, but as I recall the enemy scaling was completely screwed up to the point that everything became a giant sack of HP that took 5 minutes to kill unless you leveled up in a very specific manner. So that might be a mod to look into, I guess.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Double Punctuation posted:

That’s a shame. The ending is about 5 minutes away.

I might've gotten to the end of the sewer but I didn't leave. I got sucked into reading up about classes and leveling and lost all interest to play.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The levelling system is magical and I hope it's being experienced fully blind and unprepared.

Almost as good as the speech system.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

White Coke posted:

I might've gotten to the end of the sewer but I didn't leave. I got sucked into reading up about classes and leveling and lost all interest to play.

No, I meant the end of the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The levelling system is magical and I hope it's being experienced fully blind and unprepared.

Almost as good as the speech system.
Magic is the only way I've been able to stand it. Melee characters seem best to leave at level 2. :v:

Grizzwold posted:

you're a catman.
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Seyser Koze posted:

It's been a while since I played Oblivion, but as I recall the enemy scaling was completely screwed up to the point that everything became a giant sack of HP that took 5 minutes to kill unless you leveled up in a very specific manner. So that might be a mod to look into, I guess.

Is this the one with the cliff racers or whatever they were called?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Cliff Racers were Morrowind only, thank St. Jiub.

(though I never found them to be that much of a pain tbh)

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Poil posted:

Magic is the only way I've been able to stand it. Melee characters seem best to leave at level 2. :v:

This bodes well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, the thing is Oblivion already took a lot of steps backward from Morrowind and ended up being an utterly bland piece of poo poo. Skyrim just stopped pretending it was an RPG and ended up (slightly) better for it.

And Morrowind took steps backwards from the complexity of Daggerfall. Other than Arena > Daggerfall, every mainline Elder Scrolls title has been less complex than the previous entry.