Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
:siren: UPDATE! :siren:

Episode 4 - Mr. Puffles & the Inconsequential Fort

Seriously though, main quest is gonna happen as soon as my co-commentators stop trying to lead me Ash-tray (eyyyy) into poo poo I ain't needing in my life! We spend the majority of our time in this video in the mysterious and incredibly loving dark Fort Ash on my way to the next actual objective, while learning how things like my minimap and item durability work.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, the joys and wonders of Oblivion exploring. And the rewards are quite unbelievable. :v:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
The extremely samey dungeon components, the pre-skyrim dungeon design that got people lost and turned around, the scaling.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
How can you tell how samey the dungeons are when they’re so dark, though? :bethesda:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: UPDATE :siren:

Episode 5 - Mr. Puffles Can't Aim

I swing my sword about 500 times in this video and the only time it actually hits anything, it's a guard.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
That game freeze at the end is a side effect of Oblivion’s notorious level scaling system. Because almost everything in the game gets stronger with you, the entire game world has to be regenerated every time you level up.

Also, you’ve discovered the reason why you should avoid the roads in this game, despite the guards’ insistence. All the bandit spawns are along roads, and unlike random woodland creatures, they know how to block.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Double Punctuation posted:

That game freeze at the end is a side effect of Oblivion’s notorious level scaling system. Because almost everything in the game gets stronger with you, the entire game world has to be regenerated every time you level up.

Also, you’ve discovered the reason why you should avoid the roads in this game, despite the guards’ insistence. All the bandit spawns are along roads, and unlike random woodland creatures, they know how to block.
Yeah if you put speechcraft and mercantile as major skills and spent time talking and trading to level up and get your +5 in personality and +1 in anything else is going to make you fall behind in strength. Whoever thought that horrendous mess of a system was good needs to be haunted by a hundred cliff racers.

I'm almost certain enemies spawn way more frequently on the roads than in the wild too. Walking along roads sure seem to lead to more encounters than just legging it across the countryside.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I'm loving everything about this LP so far.

Also how the gently caress do people expect you to play accordion while your hands are on the keyboard

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Poil posted:

I'm almost certain enemies spawn way more frequently on the roads than in the wild too. Walking along roads sure seem to lead to more encounters than just legging it across the countryside.
There's also the randomass guard patrols that led to the one guy jumping in front of UZworm. This is the capital region, after all.

I forget if the guards scale or not though, so no idea if it helps to run over to them once the bandits start showing up in full glass.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I think the stop-right-there-criminal-scum guards do scale, but the ones scripted into helping you in quests do not. At least not all the time. :sterv:

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 15, 2019

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
This is you UZworm

https://i.imgur.com/3ilny8i.mp4

This is how you play video games

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Mr. Puffles is a Munchkin Khajit.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 6 - Mr. Puffles, Master Sinner

Apparently the gods aren't a big fan of Mr. Puffles. I swear, I didn't do anything!

ultrabindu posted:

This is you UZworm

https://i.imgur.com/3ilny8i.mp4

This is how you play video games

Okay look I get better I swear

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 7 - Mr. Puffles Goes to Hell

Apparently Oblivion is a place! I'm learning so much!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mr Puffles I have a quest for you: go to hell. I'll offer you a hundred septims.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Episode 8 - Mr. Puffles Does it Himself

Tons of battles against imps? Tons of battles against imps. Also featuring me learning that you can't repair weapons in battle because this game is good

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Excuse me sir, would you mind waiting a few moments for me to heat up a forge and repair my weapon before we resume this bout?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Poil posted:

Excuse me sir, would you mind waiting a few moments for me to heat up a forge and repair my weapon before we resume this bout?

Okay but why is THAT the one realistic thing this game does

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It was some particular dev's area of interest and they insisted that the game respect their hobby.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They should have kept durability out of the game.

UZworm posted:

Okay but why is THAT the one realistic thing this game does
It might be related but whoever did the artwork for the horses spent a lot of effort getting the butthole looking as realistic as they could.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Poil posted:

They should have kept durability out of the game.

This game and every game. Except possibly some hypothetical game where your weapons are made of papier-mâché, because that's the only way it would make sense for them to break as quickly as they inevitably do.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Tiggum posted:

This game and every game. Except possibly some hypothetical game where your weapons are made of papier-mâché, because that's the only way it would make sense for them to break as quickly as they inevitably do.

Durability is a fine mechanic when it leads to interesting gameplay choices, but so many games do it so badly it's generally just an annoyance or a punishment mid combat for not paying attention to an arbitrary number on a stat sheet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

!skyrim durability_mechanics

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
So, durability in this game is actually super bugged. If your items aren’t at 100% durability, and you have enough items in one inventory, the game can forget how many items are in the inventory, and items will randomly disappear and reappear until you empty the inventory. This also happens if items have more than 100% durability, meaning getting to 75 points in Repair can be a detriment in some cases.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

So, durability in this game is actually super bugged.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

So, durability in this game is actually super bugged. If your items aren’t at 100% durability, and you have enough items in one inventory, the game can forget how many items are in the inventory, and items will randomly disappear and reappear until you empty the inventory. This also happens if items have more than 100% durability, meaning getting to 75 points in Repair can be a detriment in some cases.

#BETTERTHANSKYRIM

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 9 - Mr. Puffles Experiences Karma

Sometimes, I am bad at video games. Sometimes, I make catastrophic errors in judgement. Sometimes, I am not very good at saving my game correctly. Today, we witness all three of these things.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe knocking him out reset his memories? Or he just pretended to avoid having to look at that face any longer.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
UZworm, seriously your videos are too short.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Poil posted:

Maybe knocking him out reset his memories?

Yes, knocking out an Essential NPC resets their aggression.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Yes, knocking out an Essential NPC resets their aggression.

Nice to see a game where turning it off and on solves a problem.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

cugel posted:

UZworm, seriously your videos are too short.

lol I realized I should probably make them a bit longer for the next session

In other news the most UZworm LP thing of all time has happened and my health has been hosed up including breaking my foot lately so that's why this has been less than updated

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hope things get better and your health restores. :ohdear:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Ohmygodholyshitit'san :siren: UPDATE! :siren:

Episode 10 - Mr. Puffles is Led Astray

It was easy because we aren't actually done with the latest batch of recordings lol but still I've finally come back!

There's a lot of oompah loompah songs in this one and I spend the entire thing having no idea where I'm going. Bethesda games at their finest!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 11 - Mr. Puffles' Acrobatics Increased

Almost done with that last recording session! In this one we jump a lot and talk about Speed Racer and oh my god who even knows anymore where's progress

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One thing in Oblivion that is :byodood: BETTER THAN SKYRIM! :smug: is when you walk up to npcs and they go "Hello." "Hi." "Greetings citizen." "Oh, it's you..." and other phrases and you have to initiate a conversation with them beyond that. In Skyrim you just need to walk within three meters of someone, or they walk near you, and they immediately repeat their one line of monologue out to the air. "Do you get to the cloud district very often?" "There's a nip in the air," over and over and interacting with them is pointless, it just triggers their dumb line yet again.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Also the magic system imo, especially once you start modding it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Yes. So many fun spells and they are all available right from the start, if you can afford to buy them and have enough magicka. None of the dumb stuff where they only appear at vendors after reaching an arbitrary skill level in that school. Imagine if it worked like that with weapons too. No sorry you can only buy steel weapons until you get your weapon skill to 40. Naturally only one handed if you don't have enough in two handed or archery.

Having a separate button for casting spells is so much better too. No having to unequip and reequip your weapons over and over because you wanted to throw in a quick spell. It also makes it close to impossible to play with a one handed weapon and no shield.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I forget what that really good magic mod is called where you make spells by combining items in some kind of magic machine, but I greatly recommend it if ya ever wanna play a magic character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 12 - Mr. Puffles in the City

We did this recording session on April 21 and just now posting the last video out of it. Efficiency!

Nalesh posted:

Maybe I should have started a magic character instead of one-handed or whatever I'm doing here.

But then I'm not using mods because I'm either a dipshit or a purist so who knows :saddowns: