Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Welcome to Let's Play The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion... BLIND! :catdrugs:

WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?
Hi, I'm uzworm and a while back I did an LP of TES V: Skyrim. From what I've gathered in the time during and since, apparently nobody likes that game anymore but me. For years, I've heard a non-stop chorus of "Oblivion and Morrowind are better!!" when talking about my like of it. Sadly, Skyrim has always been the only thing I've known; it's the only TES game I've ever played!

I figure it's time to change that. In this thread I'll be diving into the depths of Skyrim's predecessor, blind as a bat to whatever I'm going to be witnessing. (And not just because the game is dark as poo poo with no working brightness meter!) Pray for me.

WHAT'S THE PLAN HERE?
I'm not going it alone, thankfully.

I'll have at least one or two people who actually know the game with me at all times, and at the start I'm going to at least try to stay on course for whatever the main plot of the game is. (It's a Bethesda game, we all know that's not actually going to happen.) After that, sky's the limit. I really want to do the Dark Brotherhood quest to compare it to Skyrim's, but other than that I have no idea what wacky poo poo we'll be getting into.

Actually, given how much I absolutely hate this game, it's probably gonna end after I finish the main quest :gonk:

WHAT MODS ARE WE USING?
Like my Skyrim LP before this, I'm going to start off modless so I can experience the game the way the idiots at Bethesda meant it to be experienced!

Shut up, Chitlin.

Seriously though, I'll be adding mods in as we go so it becomes a smoother ride. Hopefully, at least. Let me know if there's any specifically that you think would smooth my gameplay experience.

WHO'S WITH YOU?
I have a few folks who know the game that will be guiding me along: namely KillerEmcee, Psychedelic Eyeball, and Inhindenburg.

WHO'S OUR HERO?
You may remember our intrepid hero Mr. Puffles from Skyrim. Obviously this game can't have him in it, because it takes place several centuries before Skyrim does. That doesn't mean, of course, that we can't have a Legend of Zelda-esque timeline with several Mr. Puffleses appearing throughout the history of Tamriel.

This one isn't quite as good-looking as his future descendent.

Yeah. Poor guy. You think the old Puffles hated Morndas? This guy's gotta be a grump.

Hopefully what he lacks in looks he'll make up for in combat finesse or something. I'm going to try and emulate Skyrim Puffles in playstyle as well, selecting the Barbarian class and working with heavy blunt-force weaponry and whatnot. Expect far worse results than we got last time.

SPOILERS?
Yeah, this time I'm actually going in without a clue here so no spoilers please!

UPLOAD SCHEDULE?
When I actually have videos available (having all three other people available at the same time for several hours of recording isn't easy) I'll be uploading a video a week or so, normally on Sundays but we all know how I do with "upload schedules".

PLAY YOUR ACCORDI-

IS THIS GOING TO BE FULL OF BAD LADY GAGA PARODIES AGAIN?
Most likely not, because it's unlikely something is going to catch my heart like Joanne did back in 2016 when I was doing Skyrim.

...That said, I make no promises. LG6 should be coming out soon, after all! :getin:

:siren: UPDATES :siren:
Episode 1 - Mr. Puffles is Ugly
Episode 2 - Mr. Puffles Starts the Plot
Episode 3 - Mr. Puffles Goes Fishin'
Episode 4 - Mr. Puffles & the Inconsequential Fort
Episode 5 - Mr. Puffles Can't Aim
Episode 6 - Mr. Puffles, Master Sinner
Episode 7 - Mr. Puffles Goes to Hell
Episode 8 - Mr. Puffles Does it Himself
Episode 9 - Mr. Puffles Experiences Karma
Episode 10 - Mr. Puffles is Led Astray
Episode 11 - Mr. Puffles' Acrobatics Increased
Episode 12 - Mr. Puffles in the City
Episode 13 - Mr. Puffles Saves Correctly
Episode 14 - Mr. Puffles' Reading Comprehension
Episode 15 - Mr. Puffles Walks & Waits
Episode 16 - Mr. Puffles Blows His Cover
Episode 17 - Mr. Puffles Cr-
Episode 18 - Birthday Stream
Episode 19 - Mr. Puffles Back 2 Hell
Episode 20 - Mr. Puffles, Accidental Crimelord
Episode 21 - Mr. Puffles Hurts Himself
Episode 22 - Mr. Puffles' Ghost Adventures
Episode 23 - Mr. Puffles' Really Long Day
Episode 24 - Mr. Puffles Entertains Us
Episode 25 - Mr. Puffles Hates Diplomacy
Episode 26 - Mr. Puffles' Tome of Jokes
Episode 27 - Mr. Puffles Gets Spooked
Episode 28 - Mr. Puffles Angers Everyone
Episode 29 - Mr. Puffles' Pedestrian Paradise
Episode 30 - Mr. Puffles Wins by Doing Nothing

UZworm fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
MISC. NONSENSE

ultrabindu shows us all how I play video games. Not just Oblivion, just video games
https://i.imgur.com/3ilny8i.mp4

UZworm fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 27, 2019

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

RareAcumen posted:

Not intending to bust your balls or anything but did you finish the Skyrim LP? It feels like it's been two years now.

Kinda sorta. I did end up doing everything that I had intended to with the LP (Main Quest, Dawnguard, Dark Brotherhood) and even though I originally intended to do some other stuff (Dragonborn, mod stuff) after those three things, it was becoming too draining to keep going with and so I decided to just end it after the Dark Brotherhood instead of trying to start another quest line and having it possibly end halfway through. Unfortunately, by the time I hit that point the SA thread had already closed so there was never any real announcement. :v:

Worth noting that the way I'm recording this LP is so much quicker and easier than Skyrim was (I was doing the old "record videos, edit them, send out to people, they do commentary over them, I edit that in as well, release video" method) that it should be a big improvement on both productivity and energy.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 1, 2019

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

RareAcumen posted:

Oh okay cool. I'm glad to hear that you got a better set up that's less draining on your part now. I liked the LP but my memory is terrible so you could've told me that was 4 years ago and I'd believe you.

Last episode having gone up in Jan 18, it's just over a year since its demise, but it took almost two years for me to even get to that last episode so it might as well have been.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Please God use the enhanced textures mod.

Link? And oh yeah, does anyone know a mod that increases the brightness of the game? The impossible darkness if you're torchless is easily the most annoying part so far.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So just to clarify, is the LP blind in the sense that you haven't played it before/read any guides, or in the sense that Mr. Puffles has been rendered blind by whatever made him look like... that?

Both, ideally.

:siren: UPDATE :siren:
Episode 2 - Mr. Puffles Starts the Plot

Even though I actually have a schedule planned for this, since we're just getting this thing started I figured I'd throw out a second episode! And that's no foolin'.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 3 - Mr. Puffles Goes Fishin'

This should teach my co-commentary crew not to ask me to do anything outside the main quest lest we accomplish the same level of aptitude as this video. 99% of the video is me wandering around a lake, the other 1% is me trying to figure out Oblivion's UI.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Grizzwold posted:

I haven't watched the videos yet so maybe you mention it there, but are you going to be doing the DLC? I've heard Shivering Isles is good, though I've never even finished the main quest in the base game.

I mention in the latest video that I *think* they were all included in the Steam version so they'll be available if I want to give them a go.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Poil posted:

Magic is the only way I've been able to stand it. Melee characters seem best to leave at level 2. :v:

This bodes well

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: UPDATE! :siren:

Episode 4 - Mr. Puffles & the Inconsequential Fort

Seriously though, main quest is gonna happen as soon as my co-commentators stop trying to lead me Ash-tray (eyyyy) into poo poo I ain't needing in my life! We spend the majority of our time in this video in the mysterious and incredibly loving dark Fort Ash on my way to the next actual objective, while learning how things like my minimap and item durability work.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 7, 2019

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 5 - Mr. Puffles Can't Aim

I swing my sword about 500 times in this video and the only time it actually hits anything, it's a guard.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 6 - Mr. Puffles, Master Sinner

Apparently the gods aren't a big fan of Mr. Puffles. I swear, I didn't do anything!

ultrabindu posted:

This is you UZworm

https://i.imgur.com/3ilny8i.mp4

This is how you play video games

Okay look I get better I swear

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 7 - Mr. Puffles Goes to Hell

Apparently Oblivion is a place! I'm learning so much!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Episode 8 - Mr. Puffles Does it Himself

Tons of battles against imps? Tons of battles against imps. Also featuring me learning that you can't repair weapons in battle because this game is good

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Poil posted:

Excuse me sir, would you mind waiting a few moments for me to heat up a forge and repair my weapon before we resume this bout?

Okay but why is THAT the one realistic thing this game does

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Double Punctuation posted:

So, durability in this game is actually super bugged. If your items aren’t at 100% durability, and you have enough items in one inventory, the game can forget how many items are in the inventory, and items will randomly disappear and reappear until you empty the inventory. This also happens if items have more than 100% durability, meaning getting to 75 points in Repair can be a detriment in some cases.

#BETTERTHANSKYRIM

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 9 - Mr. Puffles Experiences Karma

Sometimes, I am bad at video games. Sometimes, I make catastrophic errors in judgement. Sometimes, I am not very good at saving my game correctly. Today, we witness all three of these things.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

cugel posted:

UZworm, seriously your videos are too short.

lol I realized I should probably make them a bit longer for the next session

In other news the most UZworm LP thing of all time has happened and my health has been hosed up including breaking my foot lately so that's why this has been less than updated

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Ohmygodholyshitit'san :siren: UPDATE! :siren:

Episode 10 - Mr. Puffles is Led Astray

It was easy because we aren't actually done with the latest batch of recordings lol but still I've finally come back!

There's a lot of oompah loompah songs in this one and I spend the entire thing having no idea where I'm going. Bethesda games at their finest!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 11 - Mr. Puffles' Acrobatics Increased

Almost done with that last recording session! In this one we jump a lot and talk about Speed Racer and oh my god who even knows anymore where's progress

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 12 - Mr. Puffles in the City

We did this recording session on April 21 and just now posting the last video out of it. Efficiency!

Nalesh posted:

Also the magic system imo, especially once you start modding it.

Maybe I should have started a magic character instead of one-handed or whatever I'm doing here.

But then I'm not using mods because I'm either a dipshit or a purist so who knows :saddowns:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 13 - Mr. Puffles Saves Correctly

Help I've killed again

Start of the third recording session with the same folks as the last few vids!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 14: Mr. Puffles' Reading Comprehension

I probably should have just cut this off halfway through getting lost in the sewers

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: UPDATE! :siren:

Episode 15 - Mr. Puffles Walks & Waits

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 16 - Mr. Puffles Blows His Cover

Only takes 4 seconds into the video before I accidentally hit someone with my sword that I probably shouldn't have. This is par for the course at this point, really

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 17: Mr. Puffles Cr-

Yeah.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
:siren: THING! :siren:

Today (9/29) is my birthday and if you remember that horrendous drunken Skyrim stream from a few years ago, something similar to that (but a bit less drunk) will be happening on my Twitch channel all day from noon to 8 pm MT. There'll be a few things going on, and some blind Oblivion will be among them!

MelvinBison posted:

I can't remember. Did someone already suggest a Morrowind LP in the future so we can make a "Better than Oblivion" joke?

Even before I started this one I was actually planning on doing Morrowind after as well, but I didn't realize that this would just be people telling me no actually Oblivion is bad play MW instead :P

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 18 - Birthday Stream

Here's the 90 minutes I spent in my stream last Sunday playing Oblivion! I did very little actual main questline plot; it was mostly just me getting lost and finding my way into dungeons and things where no reward met me.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 19 - Mr. Puffles Back 2 Hell

Not dead! We finally got together for another recording session and it went exactly as good as you thought it would.

Why did they name this game after the worst parts of the game?

Also, I think we see our first real glitch! Bethesda!

UZworm fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 21, 2019

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

TheNamedSavior posted:

gently caress, I forgot how ugly Oblivion looked when you don't install over 1000 mods for the game.

Fun fact: The name OBLIVION was decided before the game Oblivion was being made...and before MORROWIND was even a thing. In the spin-off game Redguard, you see a shelf of books during the intro that includes books with names of past and future elder scrolls games, one of them was Morrowind (The next game after Redguard) with Arena and Dagger as the two before and then Oblivion as the one after, there is another one that said "Romanelli" for TES 5...but clearly they decided to go with Skyrim by that time instead of the generic dummy name that doesn't even exist in Elder Scroll's Lores.

Basically, Oblivion was forced into the game without any regard for anything else at all!

Good poo poo, Bethesda :laffo:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 20 - Mr. Puffles, Accidental Crimelord

I literally have no idea what I did this time.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 21 - Mr. Puffles Hurts Himself

Emcee tried to stop me but the pain was too deep

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 22 - Mr. Puffles' Ghost Adventures

I have so many silver weapons because I'm very good at Oblivion!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 23 - Mr. Puffles' Really Long Day

I did not expect one ghost hunt to be so... lengthy

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 24 - Mr. Puffles Entertains Us

Cobain didn't die for this

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 25 - Mr. Puffles Hates Diplomacy

Against my better judgement I extend the gameplay by doing more oblivion gates or somethnig.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 26 - Mr. Puffles' Tome of Jokes

Did you know the Kool Aid Man's real name is Bertrand? Did you know Oblivion is named after the absolute worst parts of the game? Did you know all of this nonsense is completely optional and why the hell am I doing it?

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 27 - Mr. Puffles Gets Spooked

I refuse to take responsibility for this

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 28 - Mr. Puffles Angers Everyone

We're on the home stretch! NPCs are once again angry with me! gently caress!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Episode 29 - Mr. Puffles' Pedestrian Paradise

I should have called it "penultimate paradise" because this is the second-to-last video of the Let's Play tbh

Also I accidentally set this video to come out at midnight instead of the usual time lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Poil posted:

Not doing all the guilds? And the dlc? And the sidequests? And the run-all-over-the-map-and-collect-these-hidden-items-with-no-quest-marker-quests? :smith:

Chitlin brought up me playing more of the "better" parts of the game in my Discord and I'll basically say here what I said there. The main quest is probably the worst part of Skyrim, but when I play that I still have some baseline enjoyment for the game. In this I have really not enjoyed much of it at all and the few times I did much of anything different (the one daedric shrine, when I wandered into some random caves/temples where I found literally nothing) it was the same, so I don't see my experience getting much better by going much farther.

I'll probably be doing some Oblivion on my Twitch channel after the LP ends to maybe look at the Shivering Isles DLC or some Daedric shrines or the other parts that people have told me are better than the main quest (BETTER THAN THE MAIN QUEST!!!) but the LP officially is just gonna end there lol