Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just got a run out in a Pista and jfc never in my life would I have ever figured I'd get a chance to do the kind of things in a car like this like i just got to do loool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

They're playing (with Danzig even) in LA soon, but tickets for the pit were $171 plus ticketmaster fees, which I'm sure are insanely high. Then I pictured the crowds getting in/out of the stadium and said gently caress it, it's not worth going.

Also:

Lolol, this meme and a few others were going around our group message. We were all making fun of him all weekend BUT, I will say that it was insanely worth it. Danzig is a fuckin' creepy weirdo dork but he can still sing the hell out of all of their songs. Jerry was super into it and had a dope stage costume and Doyle is still a huge loving intimidating hulking meat slab of a dude and he just beat the gently caress out of his guitar the whole time. The stage production was loving wild too. I was going into this expecting it to be a half-assed stadium show, but it ended up being pretty insane, I'm glad I got to see them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

All the second hand places in my area belong to mostly the same bad chain. They're a good employer.

But they almost exclusively have clothing and furniture, maybe a shelf of really, really bad electronics. You won't find a forgotten IBM Model M there. They're also just as expensive as buying on eBay. Worst thing though is that they are really inconsistent with what they take in. Wanted to give them my old desk, but it hat a scratch on the surface so they wouldn't take it. Meanwhile, the furniture in their store have inch deep cuts from knives, broken off pieces and what not. Was told it was because the broken furniture sells well with hipsters (my desk was of a modern style, so maybe it didn't look homely and cutesy with a mark as the old quaint ones). Okay. Sold my desk for 80 bucks online.

Anyway that's my Ted talk about sad second hand store experiences.

I don't thrift anyway, because I am outside of the size range they get, but locally Goodwill has gotten horrible about this. Anything remotely nice gets held back and put up on ebay.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I only go into charity shops to buy books

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Reading all your posts in a Ralph Wiggum voice is a god drat riot. Best custom title ever.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't thrift anyway, because I am outside of the size range they get, but locally Goodwill has gotten horrible about this. Anything remotely nice gets held back and put up on ebay.

Goodwill has actually started testing other "branches" outside of their thrift stores now, and I don't think they're branded as Goodwill anything. I interviewed at one of their regional corporate offices a while ago, and they obviously pick out nicer electronics for resale outside of their thrift store locations, but for example, they've opened one or two "nice" jewelry shops in our region to sell off higher quality donated jewelry, instead of at their thrift stores.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus. Christ.

Been eyeballing a new car, got insurance quotes on it. More than double what I currently pay for both my cars. Maybe I don't need a Lexus.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fridge corn posted:

I only go into charity shops to buy books
I always check my local ones for any interesting car/tech books too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

TWSS posted:

Random question, who was the grave digging goon with the grass growing soil mix recipe?

Not sure if you were talking about me specifically but I do grave repair at the cemetery I work at. Often the digger will put subsoil back on top instead of topsoil and it doesnt grow grass. I rototill in compost, peat moss and topsoil as deep as my tiller will go and then put seed and starter fertilizer on top. Covering it with straw will hold moisture in also if its not going to rain enough. If you can, water it daily ideally in the evening so it stays wet overnight until grass starts growing so like 7-10 days. Try not to let it get really dry once the seeds germinate or it will kill it.

If that doesnt work then I remove all the soil down to 8 inches or so and fill it with good top soil but usually the compost and peat trick works well.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I’ve been wanting to try pre spouting seed. You put a bag of sawdust or two in a wheel barrow, add water until clumpy, add a bag of seed, mix, and cover for a week in a cool place. After it’s started, mix with compost/soil and spread. Makes for a quick repair.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea that works too. Getting the seed to germinate and grow without drowning or letting it dry is the hardest part so if you get it to grow first then plant it you have the best chance for success.

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Friend of mine took his lease back yesterday and they let him drive a Quadrifoglio while they did the return paperwork (he already got a mid-tier Giulia to replace the car he turned in)

Salesman texts him an hour later to show what the next guy who drove it did.

Maybe not such a good idea telling random newbs how to turn a 500hp car to Race Mode perhaps? Anyone looking for the rear end and interior of an Alfa Romeo? :laffo:

I know this was a few pages back but as someone that is planning to get a Quadrifoglio at the end of this year this really hurts my soul.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

If they're stock replacement struts, pretty much, yes, I think they're just covering their arse against people putting fresh struts onto knackered everything else and then saying their product's crap.

This actually makes complete sense and I can't believe we didn't think of it. I was planning on reusing the bumps and rubber bits but now I might just source a fresh oem kit.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

T-Square posted:

Lolol, this meme and a few others were going around our group message. We were all making fun of him all weekend BUT, I will say that it was insanely worth it. Danzig is a fuckin' creepy weirdo dork but he can still sing the hell out of all of their songs. Jerry was super into it and had a dope stage costume and Doyle is still a huge loving intimidating hulking meat slab of a dude and he just beat the gently caress out of his guitar the whole time. The stage production was loving wild too. I was going into this expecting it to be a half-assed stadium show, but it ended up being pretty insane, I'm glad I got to see them.

drat, I may have to consider going. I have to admit having Danzig sing is the only reason I'd consider seeing them now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

I never read comic books and got super fatigued on superhero movies, and thought the last one was pretty scatterbrained, but really enjoyed this one.

I can't wait for the racists and sexist morons to watch it and get SUPER pissed off about everything.

Went and saw it Sunday night. Kind of a last minute decision, but I found a showing with a single seat that wasn't under the screen. Mindo you, I started looking at noon, and that was the earliest show with a decent seat out of 10 billion showings (at that particular theater.) Worth it. Did not feel like 3 hours, other than bladder. Everyone gets their moment, more or less. I do have a couple questions (yeah, time travel) but I can live without the answers for now.
With regards to the above, I particularly like the scene *specifically* depicting the ladies kicking rear end. gently caress the dude-bros.

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's this one scene near the end where a bunch of lady heroes assemble to shield Peter Parker and save the day. I was half convinced that this was specifically made to piss off the chuds, and like it. Also, I want Scarlett Witch and Captain Marvel to hold me tight :kimchi:
Yeah, that's the one.

Re: Thrift stores. Thrift stores own, and I should use them more often.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Back when I was doing 12V electrical work the standard installations became pretty monotonous. It got to the point where only the most hosed up wiring repairs made me happy :gbsmith:

I feel that we are kindred spirits. I, too, did automotive electrical and loved unfuckling wiring repairs. I never did get tired of lightbar/floodlight/whatever installs, and since I got to choose how everything got installed, I like to think I continually improved my process of building harnesses. It was fun. :unsmith:

edit and now I work on aeronautic wiring, building harnesses. It's like I levelled up or something.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 29, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

STR posted:

:same: - that's one part I'd always go new on.

If insurance won't cover a brand new one, see if the shop will let you supply one. Or if they'll order a new one and let you cover the difference.

I called the body shop this AM and they were able to source a new, aftermaket condenser without charging me any extra. Said they could "work it out on their end". I dunno but I'll take it!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Listed the Beater Mazda6. Texted ten minutes after I posted it. Dude was at my door in an hour. He took it for a drive, came back and signed over the title.
He was there with his shift supervisor. He’s new to the country and has been working for a while and now has a vehicle of his own to get to work. While he was out driving the car his supervisor buddy was telling me he was in the same position five years ago and had someone help him out and now he was a shift leader at work. So he was just passing on that help.

I hope that car runs forever for that dude and I hope it treats him well. It was almost 13 years ago my wife bought that car :unsmith:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Listed the Beater Mazda6. Texted ten minutes after I posted it. Dude was at my door in an hour. He took it for a drive, came back and signed over the title.
He was there with his shift supervisor. He’s new to the country and has been working for a while and now has a vehicle of his own to get to work. While he was out driving the car his supervisor buddy was telling me he was in the same position five years ago and had someone help him out and now he was a shift leader at work. So he was just passing on that help.

I hope that car runs forever for that dude and I hope it treats him well. It was almost 13 years ago my wife bought that car :unsmith:

I liked this story.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's some good people and a good story.

Radio install: Previous me actually did a kind of decent job with most of the wiring. I used bullet connectors for everything but a couple of connections requiring three wires to be connected....where my brilliant past self used twist connectors that you'd use in a house. Yeah. Anyway, clipped off the bullet connectors (they were a gauge too big), and spliced everything with some butt connectors (that are also slightly too big). If I end up keeping this radio, I'll do the splicing properly when I'm off in June. It also needs to be snugged up some in its DIN adapter sleeve thingy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Saw Avengers tonight.

Bad rear end Ladies Squad was loving awesome.

I don't think it was my favorite MCU flick, but it was very good and it's a proper send-off of the first decade.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

A+ good feels out of this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
eseutil /p rdb1

How's your week been?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Saw Avengers tonight.

Bad rear end Ladies Squad was loving awesome.

That was the part where the movie finally jumped the shark because it was like there was a battle timeout so the lady squad could do their thing. I know it's a movie and all and that, but I was thinking that it would be hilarious if things like that happened in real life, like a firefight breaks out in Afghanistan and the dudes on one side go "hey guys, guys, guys... wait a second, badass lady squad is posing, so they're about to do something cool!" Then the other side says "yeah, you know what? hey uh, let's aaaah take a break and not do anything so we can get a good portion of our squad killed because I don't want to be on the side of the dudes that killed badass lady squad... that'd be super bad for our PR."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found a fancy rear end flight stick on clearance at an office supply store.

I'm gonna drive some tractors so loving hard :pervert:

I tried mapping it really quickly to one of the logging cranes in FS19, 5 analog axes and a hat switch makes the boom an extension of your arm.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

keykey posted:

That was the part where the movie finally jumped the shark because it was like there was a battle timeout so the lady squad could do their thing. I know it's a movie and all and that, but I was thinking that it would be hilarious if things like that happened in real life, like a firefight breaks out in Afghanistan and the dudes on one side go "hey guys, guys, guys... wait a second, badass lady squad is posing, so they're about to do something cool!" Then the other side says "yeah, you know what? hey uh, let's aaaah take a break and not do anything so we can get a good portion of our squad killed because I don't want to be on the side of the dudes that killed badass lady squad... that'd be super bad for our PR."

Lol :munch:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Right? Real hot take about a movie where a Norse god yells at a kid on Fortnite.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Right? Real hot take about a movie where a Norse god yells at a kid on Fortnite.

Haha, fair enough. The movie as a whole didn't really live up to any sort of expectations and I would have been just as happy with the first part being the only one so they could snap some franchises out of the picture to make way for the newer crop of MCU's. Truth be told, I'm satisfied this movie exists to lay the groundwork for the next Guardians of the Galaxy movie with bro Thor and Taika Waititi as rock guy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I need to go see the movie just so I can get rid of all the spoiler poo poo :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I need to go see the movie just so I can get rid of all the spoiler poo poo :v:

Same. I have been actively avoiding any comments section. Anyone that has posted even talking about it how they "don't want it spoiled" I have hidden that post so it doesn't show up when I log in later either. The worst place for spoilers is usually sports/news websites. Any time they post an update people get their rocks off by putting spoilers in the comments sections. Having small kids is tough when you like movies :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

To be honest, anyone I would go with I have scheduling conflicts with, and I was reading this thread at work yesterday morning and saw all of the spoiler tags start to pop up and pretty much went "gently caress it, I got nothing going on tonight, let's see if I can find a seat."

I ended up getting a seat pretty much smack dab in the middle of the theater, and the first row in front of the lowered railing separating the two stages of seating. It owned. I wish I'd started doing the going to movies by yourself thing a long time ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I go by myself because my wife doesn’t like anything I like, and my friends are scattered and have families.
My wife literally said to me that she doesn’t like movies that are sad, cliffhangers, or the bad guys win. Really? Whelp, you enjoy not watching movies, especially anything intended to be a series.
We were going to go see Hellboy, because we both enjoyed that franchise, but the reviews of the current one, hoo boy. 14% on Rotten Tomatoes. I went to go see Endgame instead, and we’ll catch Hellboy at the second run theater.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

T-Square posted:

I ended up getting a seat pretty much smack dab in the middle of the theater, and the first row in front of the lowered railing separating the two stages of seating. It owned. I wish I'd started doing the going to movies by yourself thing a long time ago.

Before my wife broke her ankle, she and the kids went to derby practice every Tuesday/Thursday evening so I used that initially as getting crap done that I'd been putting off time. Then Moviepass happened and all productivity was lost, but the seating position you're describing is exactly the best way to see movies especially in the luxury plus theaters that have been popping up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I go by myself because my wife doesn’t like anything I like, and my friends are scattered and have families.
My wife literally said to me that she doesn’t like movies that are sad, cliffhangers, or the bad guys win. Really? Whelp, you enjoy not watching movies, especially anything intended to be a series.
We were going to go see Hellboy, because we both enjoyed that franchise, but the reviews of the current one, hoo boy. 14% on Rotten Tomatoes. I went to go see Endgame instead, and we’ll catch Hellboy at the second run theater.

Your wife gets it.

Back in my day, movies had a beginning, middle, and end. Not movie 1: beginning, movie 2: middle, movie 3: the end......?

Also, theater seats suck, you're surrounded by bright phone screens and the audio is always like 10% louder than the speakers can handle

gently caress movie theaters

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 30, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fun weekend, the plan was to leave work early Friday and drive the panda down to Brighton, guessed 4 hours. Made it half way and developed a squeal from the front left, the lightest touch of the brakes stopped it so I guessed rattling pads, deal with it when I got home. Then it wouldn't stop squealing so I stopped and took a look, one red hot wheel, oh poo poo are my brakes bad?

I let everything cool and figured out a plan, I was 15 minutes from my little brothers place, he was out but his wife told me to go to her dad's, he'd be ready. I've met Bob before, he's a star, also an ex really driver, racecar mechanic and currently red bull F1 engineer. Slow drive to Bob's.

We get there, check it out and the brakes are fine but one suspension bush had flat out disappeared, so I order that, Bob goes to fetch it and i raid the snap-on box and start stripping it down. We had to drill out the ball joint bolt but including a costume change, coffee and a chat I was back on the road 2 hours later. Paranoia stopped me at the next 2 services but I made it in time for a beer.

Then I had a fantastic day with some amazing friends I'd not seem for 6 years and their 4.5 year old, who just accepted me and was a cool little dude. We packed him off to his grand parents later and prepped for a party.

Then I met another bunch of great people I'd not met for between 10 and 4 years and had a lovely reminder that we're all characters in other people's universes, because 10 years ago coming back from a solid 12 hours raving we were put up in London and the only bed they could offer me was their kid's cotbed - he was at grand parents too - so being a shortarse I curl up and go to sleep. When I get up I notice a whiteboard with a few scribbles in the kids room so I wrote a thank you note.

Despite having never met this kid I'm a character in his imagination stories and he had his parents record a short video message to me saying hi :3:

Then I was talking to a lovely French fella I'd last seen at a warehouse rave 6 years ago, apparently I'm one of the reasons he's currently getting uk citizenship, because to him I represent what he loved about brits. I didn't know what you say to that so I made cups of tea, he may have a point :v:

Also found out an old friend and I have parallel interests and hobbies so we're getting together to collaborate and learn together a bit.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I am absolutely floored about how popular punch mans are and I should be right in that demographic. Suppose now that demographic is "literally everyone" instead of "30 year old white guy".

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
There's one good theater around me that has enough seats for big premieres, and aggressive enough ushers to cut down on obnoxious shitheads. Their speakers are uncomfortably loud, but I've never heard clipping like I do from the other theaters

I just don't have any interest in the MCU anymore

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Powershift posted:

Also, theater seats suck, you're surrounded by bright phone screens and the audio is always like 10% louder than the speakers can handle

gently caress movie theaters

Sorry your theaters suck. IMAX at my local multiplex have wide seat recliners with swing away tray tables and dual cup holders. You don't share armrests either. Of course entry is $18 bucks per seat but I'm willing to cough up for the perks. Your point on loudness still stands tho :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My local theater is reclining seats with footrests, good quality sound and video, and assigned seating. That theater owns. But I still miss Studio Movie Grill. Booze and food delivered with assigned seating and recliners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

The theater I go to has all of the fancy reclining seats, but the pull for me is the Ultrascreen and now they have some fancy rear end Dolby poo poo that sounded really loving good. You can order food and beer in the two Ultrascreen theaters, but I think you have to go get it when your little buzzer goes off. Otherwise, they have one or two Bistroplex things where the serve dinner during the movie, but I went on a date to a movie there once and it was kind of annoying.