Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

quote:

Veep is an American political satire comedy television series, starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus, that premiered on HBO on April 22, 2012. The series was created by Scottish writer Armando Iannucci as an adaptation of his British sitcom The Thick of It. Veep is set in the office of Selina Meyer, a fictional vice president (and, later, president) of the United States. The series follows Meyer and her team as they attempt to make their mark and leave a legacy without getting tripped up in the day-to-day political games that define the American government.

It’s the final season, everyone! Last season ended with a less than stable Selina deciding to have one last go at the presidency. She has her usual group of people behind her, aside from Mike who is now working as a reporter for some buzzfeedy website and Richard is pulling double duty for both Selina and Jonah, who is also running along with Amy’s ex Buddy Calhoun and Tom James, Selina’s former running mate/lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Mike's beard :chloe:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He’s going back to his 90’s look. Also, drat, mass shooting jokes in this episode. Loving it.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Yeah loved the first episode, all the good characters are in and doing their thing including my boy Richard Splett (splett2@splettnet.net) and the principal from Eastbound and Down looks like a good addition.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i said "jesus christ!" a lot at the jokes last night so Veep is back on track

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

:same:

goddamn the writing in this is so good. Everything with Jonah killed me - I don't know how they somehow can make him more hilariously unlikeable after 8 seasons yet they still do.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Selena's campaign website is up. I'm not gonna put everything here because it's worth exploring for yourself but I think that whoever wrote these paragraphs is probably gonna be hired by Howard Schultz in the next week:

In Selina's Words posted:

My father used to say that the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I took that step when I decided to seek the presidency once again. “Why?” my friends and family asked. “Why?” some of my closest advisors and colleagues asked. “Why?” they wanted to know, “Why? Would you put yourself through that again?”

Well, this isn’t about me.

This is about my country and, right now, my country needs me more than ever. This is about patriotism and public service. And this is about a little girl who is crying herself to sleep right now somewhere in this great country of ours because she doesn’t have enough to eat and her clothes are dirty.

Much hard work lies ahead. There will be good days and bad; great days and terrible ones. There will be successes; there will be setbacks. (And, hopefully, there will be some lucky breaks!) And there will be sacrifice, endless, bottomless sacrifice. Jesus Christ came to our planet to teach us all the importance of sacrifice. He showed us that, if we want to be like Him, we must sacrifice. No one likes to make sacrifices. Frankly, I think most of us would rather take a bubble bath. But sacrifice is called for and now sacrifice we must.

I say “we.” That’s because I can’t take the next step without your help. The road to the White House can be a very lonely road indeed. Won’t you join me on my journey? Won’t you take the next step on the long and lonely road with me? I could really use the company.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

I've never seen a minute of Veep before last night but I caught the last 10 minutes and said "jesus christ!" at least 3 times so I guess I need to watch the other 6 seasons.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

We just binged the previous 6 thinking the show was over for some reason and it was amazing. I truly didn't realize how much I enjoyed the show until we ran out of episodes and I found myself missing it. With the current state of politics I can't imagine that the "plot" is going to get any more advanced than it already has but it has mostly just been a vehicle for the characters and dialogue anyway. I fully expect the show to end with Jonah winning the Presidency.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

Selena's campaign website is up. I'm not gonna put everything here because it's worth exploring for yourself but I think that whoever wrote these paragraphs is probably gonna be hired by Howard Schultz in the next week:

:lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Woman-First-Deeply-Personal-President/dp/1419733532

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
“Blue is the most annoying color” was a film reference I could not have expected.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Veep’s insults are like the finest of wines for people who love burns. Absolutely gourmet.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'll never forget that Congressional hearing that had Jonah read a list of insults he'd been called, that was a thing of beauty. Much like all his scenes in this last episode, oh my God.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really sad this is the last season but if it's this strong throughout, drat, that's an impressive way to finish one of the best current comedy shows.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

sticksy posted:

goddamn the writing in this is so good. Everything with Jonah killed me - I don't know how they somehow can make him more hilariously unlikeable after 8 seasons yet they still do.

"I'm eating so much pussy I'm making GBS threads clits"

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I just now realized that her philandering husband looks like Andrew Weiner.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm so glad this show is back. I never watched it right when it aired in the past, just kind of binged it here and there, but watching it live now.

The shooting in Phoenix saving Selina's announcement was just perfect.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

rear end cobra posted:

Yeah loved the first episode, all the good characters are in and doing their thing including my boy Richard Splett (splett2@splettnet.net) and the principal from Eastbound and Down looks like a good addition.

If you look at Andy Daly and don't think of Review then you need to go watch Review

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If Jonah doesn't win the elections this show is out of touch with American politics.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

If Jonah doesn't win the elections this show is out of touch with American politics.

Jonah is more likely to be the new Veep, IMO.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Selena's story ending as it began, with her as a miserable Veep, would be fitting don't you think?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"I'm eating so much pussy I'm making GBS threads clits, son"

quite possibly the funniest 15 seconds in television history (not just the line but his uncle's immediate reaction and the pan out to reveal a loving elementary school classroom)

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Yeah Selina as Jonah’s veep sounds about right.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

quite possibly the funniest 15 seconds in television history (not just the line but his uncle's immediate reaction and the pan out to reveal a loving elementary school classroom)

Completely agreed. Scene had me in stitches.

"This is assault!"

I gotta say I was also very partial to this episode's:
"He's tapped into something here."
"Yes, his sister."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Propaniac posted:

If you look at Andy Daly and don't think of Review then you need to go watch Review

This is 100% accurate. Forrest MacNeil is amazing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Review is indeed incredible and you all have to watch it .

This episode had some killer lines as well. "She's gonna help like a seagull in a bread factory" or "probably a cheesecake" fuuuck.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Re: Andy Daly I just took an entire kintergarden class to a maple syrup farm. The whole time we were eating pancakes, I was thinking about Review.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
This episode actually made me start a rewatch of the earlier seasons. Blasted through seasons 1 and two in one day! God I love this show so much. Really need to rewatch In The Loop too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Selena's story ending as it began, with her as a miserable Veep, would be fitting don't you think?

Plus Jonah declared he'd be back in the West Wing as the president when he got fired, so it all makes sense.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Plus Jonah declared he'd be back in the West Wing as the president when he got fired, so it all makes sense.

Oh my god, Jonah as pres and Selina as veep would be a magnificent end to the show.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope we get a final appearance from 'finnish wullf' lady, one of my favorite recurring characters and a spot on portrayal of finns and scandinavians imo

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I miss Jonah's uncle, I hope he didn't rage himself to death :(

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
https://www.splettnet.net/

quote:

Where Is the Best Place to Store Your Cocaine
Posted on May 11, 2018 - Comments
Splettizens know that this is a perennial topic here in the Splettzone and that I post something about it every year just because the answer is so fun and counterintuitive. Unless you have access to some sort of industrial freeze-drying equipment or a good quality laboratory glove box with military grade dehumidification modifications, the best place to store cocaine is…wait for it…in your freezer!

Now I can guess what you’re thinking. You’re thinking, “Hey, Richard, my freezer is full of frozen ice and releases a cloud of cool moist vapor whenever I open it. I don’t want my coke to get all wet and turn into a puddle of sticky mush when I cut some lines up for my friends.” Never fear! Your freezer is actually the least humid place in your house because all the water in the air inside has been locked up solid as ice. That cloud you see when you open the door is just the cold dry air from the freezer reacting to the warm, moist air of your house.

Now, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take the additional precaution of storing cocaine in a waterproof container like a Ziploc bag or even two. That way your drugs will be safe in the event of a power outage.

Don’t misunderstand me. I don’t take drugs and I strongly oppose not only drug abuse but recreational drug use of all kinds. But if you do take drugs and are looking for the best place to store your cocaine, the freezer is definitely the way to go!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

sticksy posted:

I've been rewatching the series and I completely forgot about this scene. I have a terrible cold and laughed so hard I thought I was legit dying for a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIQ7quNYaIw

I'm gonna miss this show so much.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DC Murderverse posted:

And Richard trying to retrieve the phone slapped out of Jonah's hand.

That line is probably the most vulgar thing I've ever heard on tv.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been rewatching the series and I completely forgot about this scene. I have a terrible cold and laughed so hard I thought I was legit dying for a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIQ7quNYaIw

I'm gonna miss this show so much.

Haha that's great, I'd forgotten about that.

Funny coincidence - I've been really sick too so laid in bed and rewatched Season 6 instead of working. Don't know if it's an intentional callback to him chopping wood in his candidacy test ad but this bit with him as the leader of "The Jeffersons" and railing against Daylight Savings Time cracked me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHsd-EU_KKI

sticksy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 7, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

god I love Tom James, he's such a sociopath, like every other politician on this show is obviously phony but James' phoniness is so much more sincere

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DC Murderverse posted:

Jonah's campaign also has a website.
https://jonahryanforpresident.com/struggle.html

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Were you wearing a full length mirror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Good lord Selina was on fire tonight.