Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
"Madam, you're going to be drowning in money so dark it'd get shot entering it's own apartment."

I am just in awe at this show sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang

Slamhound posted:

Were you wearing a full length mirror?

I had to pause from laughing at this line. I love this show.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Orange Devil posted:

"Madam, you're going to be drowning in money so dark it'd get shot entering it's own apartment."

I am just in awe at this show sometimes.

It went so quick but holy poo poo there were some money lines, Tony Hale's face, "It's peppermint!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

^burtle posted:

It went so quick but holy poo poo there were some money lines, Tony Hale's face, "It's peppermint!"

I couldn't stop laughing at that. I'm chuckling again right now just thinking about it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Slamhound posted:

Were you wearing a full length mirror?

Quite possibly the best, most scathing joke I have heard in my life. It so perfectly scorched two people in one efficient sentence.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
We've had two solid gold episodes in a row. This season is going to be amazing.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at that. I'm chuckling again right now just thinking about it.

"I'm going to choke him with that big cock of his, see how he likes it." right before that was great too.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Atlas Hugged posted:

We've had two solid gold episodes in a row. This season is going to be amazing.

The show is going to end up being one of the most consistent comedies ever.

Mike is being used perfectly so far this season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I feel like for the last 5 years they've had a box specifically for killer jokes to keep until the last season, it's off to such a hot start.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I do think the Iannucci years (seasons 1-4) were the best because he has such a strong input and the jokes were consistently super fierce and on point and the tempo was fast for a US show to the point that when Mandel took over as showrunner I was a little nervous but fortunately it's been high quality and the difference isn't all that noticeable. I guess another way to put it would be that the first four seasons were closest to The Thick of It than the rest has been but I do agree that this is one of the very few comedies that's been consistently funny throughout its run. I do feel that Iannucci focused more on the politics while Mandel focuses more on the characters, but with characters this good, it's hard to go wrong with that.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug
The funniest joke in whole series for me was when Kent Davison said that they should have LEGOs up on the hill so they could build a consensus. I'm a huge The Thick of It fan as well but Veep at this point, with these drat well portrayed characters can be overwhelmingly funny.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Really bums me out that Sue has been MIA for 2 seasons now. I couldn't get enough of the Kent / Sue vibe in earlier seasons and then it just fell away.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

^burtle posted:

Really bums me out that Sue has been MIA for 2 seasons now. I couldn't get enough of the Kent / Sue vibe in earlier seasons and then it just fell away.

She is still stuck in that hearing...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

^burtle posted:

I think the actor who played Sue had some serious medical issues and had to leave. Sucks.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

1glitch0 posted:

I think the actor who played Sue had some serious medical issues and had to leave. Sucks.

I saw her pop up in a show a while back and she was completely skin and bones. It was rough to see. :smith:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it is deeply weird to see University of Iowa stuff in this show. like they're in iowa for a reason but it's still surreal

edit: i'm amazed that they found a woman that totally makes sense being married to and attracted to Jonah.

edit2: i thought the jonah plot from the last episode was kind lame but holy drat poo poo he is on fire this time

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 15, 2019

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It's really hard to think of a side character that I wouldn't follow a spin off for. Especially Jonah.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I was crying I was laughing so hard this episode.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jonah is totally gonna win now that Amy is involved. And the last line is going to be Selena asking if the president called and someone telling her no.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clubfoot oval office-tessa

lmao

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jonah is totally gonna win now that Amy is involved. And the last line is going to be Selena asking if the president called and someone telling her no.

I've thought Jonah was going to win since before the season.

I like that the fake Selina website is selling campaign shirts. Tempted to get one to go with my Jonah Ryan for President shirt.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm wondering if we're going to see some time jumps over the next few weeks. This was the halfway point and she isn't even officially the nominee.

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I still watch the show and think it's funny, but this season I can really tell the writers are different people than those who wrote the first couple seasons. It happens with every comedy, but everyone's a cartoon now. Dan goes from breaking up with his girlfriend by text because he doesn't need her political connections anymore to knowing that a particular vacuum is good for abortions. Richard is a dog mayor. Tom James betrays Selina in the span of an episode. Everyone is their quirks to the max, where in the earlier seasons I felt things were hinted at more obliquely.

Jonah's sensitivity training was pretty funny though.

Poor Outlook fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 16, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"His behavior was totally appropriate"

So far looks like this show's gonna be going out with its best season imo

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"I'm Jonah Ryan and I want to suck this message's hot clam."

"We focused tested the ad and most people are uncomfortable watching a White man kick a Black woman in the vagina."

"Well, I don't see vagina color."

If Jonah doesn't become POTUS by the end of this (somehow elected in a non-election year) the series will be way too unrealistic compared to contemporary politics.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That episode had maybe the worst editing of footage onto phone/tablet screens in post I've ever seen.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"Is that the Berkely VC-10? That's like the Shelby Cobra GT of vag-vacs."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Amy quote at the clinic was so good

quote:

Oh! You want me to think about the children, you hog-fingering fucks? Well, I did think about this. I considered it, and I cried, and yeah, suck my cock, I even prayed a little, and here I am. So you can back the gently caress off, you hypocritical cunts, before I show up to the piss puddle that is your house and protest your husband whacking it to your daughter’s seventh grade yearbook.

Great to see Katie Aselton from The League back on TV.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah Amy at the clinic was the best part of the episode.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Twitter reaction is amazing of course

https://mobile.twitter.com/PMC713/status/1117578275914690561
https://mobile.twitter.com/Qrtr4Thoughts/status/1117732270398431233
https://mobile.twitter.com/perez_rheta/status/1117787117281841152
https://mobile.twitter.com/newsbusters/status/1117750614853935104
https://mobile.twitter.com/mikerapp/status/1117769488689180672
https://mobile.twitter.com/bf_mallion/status/1117659218952228866

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm sure the abortion scene is going to upset a good chunk of the viewing demographic. I didn't find the segment funny enough to really justify showing as much as they did. That said, nothing has ever been sacred on this show.

"Last thing I need is my picture taken eating dick-shaped food. I'd rather rather eat a food-shaped dick."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lmao have these people been watching the same show for the last 7 years?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

That episode had maybe the worst editing of footage onto phone/tablet screens in post I've ever seen.

Oh yeah wasn’t the focus like drastically different to the rest of the scene lol

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
Back in 2015 I would have probably thought that the Jonah storyline was getting a little bit ridiculous and that there's no way after all of these ridiculous things happening that he would ever be a candidate with more than 0.01 percent of the vote. Now, I buy it.

Also, calling it now (and I'm sure I'm not the first person to speculate this): the incumbent "Republican" president (forgot her name, but it was a Hispanic name she got through marriage, Montoya or something) will have to drop out of the race for some reason and Jonah will switch parties and the final election will be him vs Selina

Shneak posted:

Sitcoms with absolutely zero action, fantasy, or sci-fi elements aren't exactly allocated the most robust VFX budgets so I have some sympathy but yeah that was pretty bad

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 16, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's so telling that of all the jokes about all the things that this show has done in the past that it's the abortion ones that finally cross the line for these people.

Money so dark it gets shot entering it's own apartment? Fine, no problem with that. Women having autonomy over their bodies? NOPE.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

bbf2 posted:

Also, calling it now (and I'm sure I'm not the first person to speculate this): the incumbent "Republican" president (forgot her name, but it was a Hispanic name she got through marriage, Montoya or something) will have to drop out of the race for some reason and Jonah will switch parties and the final election will be him vs Selina

Montez (pronounced with a very long 'z' by characters that want to play up how in tune they are with the ethnic voters).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Montez (pronounced with a very long 'z' by characters that want to play up how in tune they are with the ethnic voters).

More importantly she was named Laura but pronounced it with an emphasis on the U.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the phone was out of focus people, the ringing would have been unnoticeable. The only correct option was to have a tack sharp phone screen floating in a sea of out of focus foreground. we have no other way of knowing a phone is going off, come on.

EDIT: Marjorie pointing out Splett was wearing a Jonah button on the dl

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 16, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The Splett mother's side name reveal was lowkey amazing. loving Spelt, I have no doubt one of those letters is supposed to be a double but I'll be hosed before I can figure out if it's the L or the T.

That said, those of you who said this show is all about it's characters rather than commentary on the political scene and also all the characters have been turned into charicatures of themselves are very much right. An Iannucci show this very much is not anymore.

However, Jonah turned up to 11 and fully character focused vacuous no-policy politics is now also a commentary on the political scene. Because that's how poo poo the real world is now.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jonah wasn't turned up to 11, he was BORN at 11 son!