Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Wow. That third episode was so awful in terms of "Veep" quality that I had to look up who wrote it. I was optimistic after the first two episodes this season seemed like more of a return to form, but now that every character has been reverted back into a drooling, oblivious moron devoid of any humanity or subtlety, I know better.

I remember the previous seasons, in which most of my laughs weren't even from jokes but well acted characters and mannerisms. Meanwhile, Mandel thinks deepthroating corndogs is the height of comedy. I'll just be the one to say it: he sucks now, he sucked on Seinfeld, and he's sucked on everything in between. How they arrived at him to take over a show like Veep, the man whose main writing credits outside of Seinfeld are Clerks: The Animated Series and The Cat and the loving Hat, still boggles the mind.

https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118018867794599936
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118053502498918400
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118203330453336064

If these are an indication of the current Veep brain trust's comedic ideas, I'm glad this show is ending. And yes, I'm mad.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zwdzk posted:

Wow. That third episode was so awful in terms of "Veep" quality that I had to look up who wrote it. I was optimistic after the first two episodes this season seemed like more of a return to form, but now that every character has been reverted back into a drooling, oblivious moron devoid of any humanity or subtlety, I know better.

I remember the previous seasons, in which most of my laughs weren't even from jokes but well acted characters and mannerisms. Meanwhile, Mandel thinks deepthroating corndogs is the height of comedy. I'll just be the one to say it: he sucks now, he sucked on Seinfeld, and he's sucked on everything in between. How they arrived at him to take over a show like Veep, the man whose main writing credits outside of Seinfeld are Clerks: The Animated Series and The Cat and the loving Hat, still boggles the mind.

https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118018867794599936
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118053502498918400
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118203330453336064

If these are an indication of the current Veep brain trust's comedic ideas, I'm glad this show is ending. And yes, I'm mad.

It's a TV show.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a TV show.

I will keep that in mind, TV show forums moderator. Thank You

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zwdzk posted:

I will keep that in mind, TV show forums moderator. Thank You

I am the music forum mod, actually. Though both things are not worth getting that steamed about.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

I am the music forum mod, actually. Though both things are not worth getting that steamed about.
You're right. I never should have gotten so furious In Real Life over a TV show. That's just silly. Thank You Again fine sir

Anyway, I think the writing of the new incarnation of VEEP is mediocre, and I'd be interested to hear if you agree or not and why you think that might or might not be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zwdzk posted:

You're right. I never should have gotten so furious In Real Life over a TV show. That's just silly. Thank You Again fine sir

Anyway, I think the writing of the new incarnation of VEEP is mediocre, and I'd be interested to hear if you agree or not and why you think that might or might not be.

I don't agree that it's mediocre but I think most of us recognize that it has declined in quality, both from Iannucci stepping down and reality outpacing television in terms of absurdity. Most of what you're complaining about regarding the characters happens to almost every show over time, which is why 7 seasons is about the max for most comedies without getting stale.

Despite all that it's still funnier than any currently running show that I can think of. But it's more like consistent B+ material than A material.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I couldn't disagree more, I thought that episode was fantastic

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

zwdzk posted:

I agree. First two episodes were pretty good, but this one was just out of whack. Still fun to watch overall.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

I don't agree that it's mediocre but I think most of us recognize that it has declined in quality, both from Iannucci stepping down and reality outpacing television in terms of absurdity. Most of what you're complaining about regarding the characters happens to almost every show over time, which is why 7 seasons is about the max for most comedies without getting stale.

Despite all that it's still funnier than any currently running show that I can think of. But it's more like consistent B+ material than A material.

I agree that it's the best show on, and it's still probably my favorite comedy series of all time. I guess my feeling is that Ianucci and his writers were such experts at weaving jokes naturally and realistically into dialog and interactions that anything else seems jarring and disappointing (to me) - especially when you look at Mandel's more joke-oriented character writing style which, since Seinfeld, has had an absurd quality to it. I actually think Mandel shines when he can write for a character like Costanza or Kramer, which is why I think he falters when he has to run a show that was, before now, very much grounded in reality (as opposed to something like "The Bizarro Jerry").

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also if I can be nitpicky, the joke of the corndogs thing is that it’s what Jonah would find to be the height of comedy.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Also if I can be nitpicky, the joke of the corndogs thing is that it’s what Jonah would find to be the height of comedy.

That actually exemplifies why I think the writing is mediocre. [inane rambling that amounts to describing flanderization]

That being said, I think this season stacks up a lot better than 6. I'll take the absurdity over the completely mean spirited approach any day.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 18, 2019

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Between the abortion rant and wanting to become president to nuke America, Amy has been this season’s saving grace so far.

Even at its low points, Veep is better than most shows, but knowing what it’s like at its best makes poo poo like the Niger jokes seem even weaker.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The one thing that feels slightly off about the abortion thing is that it’s the rare moment where the show comes down firmly on one side of an issue. That might be part of why all those pro-lifers are having meltdowns about it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

The one thing that feels slightly off about the abortion thing is that it’s the rare moment where the show comes down firmly on one side of an issue. That might be part of why all those pro-lifers are having meltdowns about it.

The character of Selina has always been progressive (for a middle aged democrat), especially when it comes to women's rights. After all, if men could get pregnant you'd be able to get an abortion at the ATM.
It's just that when it comes to it, she will put aside her own convictions to pursue more power, every single time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

The character of Selina has always been progressive (for a middle aged democrat)

That’s the thing though, her party is unstated and you can project whatever you want her to be onto her as a result. And if you’re anti-choice and see that a character as heinous as Selina is pro-choice, it’s easy to watch the show and think the writers must agree with you. Amy has slightly more of a moral compass and the protesters are made to look like idiots, so the show’s stance on the issue is clearer now than it was before.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol a plot point from episode 1 was using mass shootings to further your political career and actually celebrating one happening to take the focus off of you

But the abortion stuff is tasteless, HBO you have gone TOO FAR!! jfc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

moolchaba posted:

I agree. First two episodes were pretty good, but this one was just out of whack. Still fun to watch overall.

I think you'll find it was the worst ever, actually.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I still find the show Entertaining and will miss it when it's gone, though wrapping it up is the right call.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

lol a plot point from episode 1 was using mass shootings to further your political career and actually celebrating one happening to take the focus off of you

But the abortion stuff is tasteless, HBO you have gone TOO FAR!! jfc

They've joked about abortion before, but they've never gotten as up close and personal by going inside the clinic and showing the procedure prep.

Concerning the mass shooting joke, If they had cut away and shown a shooter loading his guns or being arrested with dead bodies all around him, that wouldn't have been very funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The abortion stuff was so funny and on point that of course a lot of loving idiots are outraged over it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was good and this season is way better than 6 which was bizarrely bad. I actually think 5 is the best season but the other Mandel seasons so far are way below the Iannucci ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the first two episodes but this one somehow just didn't feel right, even thought it was still pretty drat funny.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

moolchaba posted:

They've joked about abortion before, but they've never gotten as up close and personal by going inside the clinic and showing the procedure prep.

Concerning the mass shooting joke, If they had cut away and shown a shooter loading his guns or being arrested with dead bodies all around him, that wouldn't have been very funny.

there's a huge difference between showing a bunch of dead people in a tragedy and showing the inside of a doctor's clinic where abortions take place. A mass shooting is never not a tragedy, but most abortions are just routine medical procedures, and granting them a level of "oh how sad" any more than any other medical procedure is playing into the pro-life agenda

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm rewatching season 6 and I stand by my opinion that it's the show's second best season

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I could swear an episode of season 3 or 4 was Salina trying to decide to be pro life or pro choice and Dan flipping the gently caress out and telling her to pick one.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

SardonicTyrant posted:

I could swear an episode of season 3 or 4 was Salina trying to decide to be pro life or pro choice and Dan flipping the gently caress out and telling her to pick one.

Season 3, Episode 2 — The President flips from pro-choice to pro-life and Selina has to decide whether she's going to support him or come out against, she considers both sides of the issue. It's a manic episode. I literally just finished watching it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Season good so far IMO.

bring back old gbs posted:

the phone was out of focus people, the ringing would have been unnoticeable. The only correct option was to have a tack sharp phone screen floating in a sea of out of focus foreground. we have no other way of knowing a phone is going off, come on.

Lol, I remember this happening in I think season 5 or 6 with a TV in the background.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Kemi continuing the "as a women of color" line every single moment had me in tears. The idea of Selina slamming the poo poo out of milennials and the younger generation is so pitch perfect, its wonderful.

Am curious about how the heck they're going to cover the entire rest of the election season in the remaining episodes. I think Jonah will end up as Veep, probably because they'll contrive a world where NH becomes the pivotal swing state.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Would jonah as pres be better or worse than what we have now, here, in "the real world"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm only on episode two and I'm enjoying it well enough but I'm really just hoping to see more of Kim Wexler

e: oh there she is

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I will never begin to fathom the rationale behind watching a show one hates and writing long screeds with tweet annotations on a dead gay forum.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is great so far

"You can't just replace Gary with another lesbian and think I wouldn't notice"

"Actually ma'am, Jay Z concerts are almost all white people."

precision fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 22, 2019

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

MadJackal posted:

I will never begin to fathom the rationale behind watching a show one hates and writing long screeds with tweet annotations on a dead gay forum.

going by their own criteria they're a veep character

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

there are definitely no 7/11s in Iowa, should have been a Casey's.

i mean, or Kum-n-Go but people not already aware might think that name is a joke

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I still firmly believe the only way this season ends is with Jonah as POTUS and Selena as VEEP.

This season would have seemed absurd pre-2016.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would jonah as pres be better or worse than what we have now, here, in "the real world"

Yes. He wouldn't act out of malice as much and would be less evil. (but would still be a disaster.)

DC Murderverse posted:

there are definitely no 7/11s in Iowa, should have been a Casey's.

i mean, or Kum-n-Go but people not already aware might think that name is a joke

I think they used a 7/11 just to say "hero of 7/11."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jonah is absolutely gonna win somehow

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spacebump posted:

I think they used a 7/11 just to say "hero of 7/11."

tell me you couldn't get a good Dan joke out of Kum-N-Go

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
ok this one is pretty on the nose, lol

jonah's the speeches

selena's the crimes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

oh man Andy Daly's teeth coming out at the end there was brilliant

and Amy is going full Kellyanne Conway, which means we are not long for Dan becoming Corey Lewandowski.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

precision posted:

Jonah is absolutely gonna win somehow

I think this episode confirms it with Amy's credits scene.