Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Just wanted to hop on here and say that the end of Veep has been the anti-GoT. Top notch, brilliant writing, absolutely loved it. I even felt real sadness for Buster Gary and the send-off turning instantly to Tom Hanks was perfect. They tied all the weird threads together (like why the heck is Jonah so important?) in an incredibly impressive feat. Going up there with Arrested Development as a series I'll rewatch every couple years.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Symetrique posted:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/veep-series-finale.html

Behind the scenes on the finale. Spoilers, obviously

James Marsden as Cousin Ezra would have been amazing, holy poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chewbot posted:

Just wanted to hop on here and say that the end of Veep has been the anti-GoT. Top notch, brilliant writing, absolutely loved it. I even felt real sadness for Buster Gary and the send-off turning instantly to Tom Hanks was perfect. They tied all the weird threads together (like why the heck is Jonah so important?) in an incredibly impressive feat. Going up there with Arrested Development as a series I'll rewatch every couple years.

It was very good and I've only watched this season and most of I guess the third one. I was way more invested in the characters than in GoT and the Gary frame was way more upsetting than anything I've seen in GoT.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/VeepHBO/status/1127305375357788160

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Symetrique posted:

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/veep-series-finale.html

Behind the scenes on the finale. Spoilers, obviously

The alternate ending here would have been much more satisfying.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

quote:

“Nobody wanted Julia to get cancer,” says the showrunner, who took over in season five after the departure of series creator Armando Iannucci. “That being said, I do think I’ll look back and say to myself that Julia’s cancer was the best thing that happened to the series.”

That's such a veep thing to say.

Edit: Holy poo poo the writing table discussion about what Selina tells Michelle (Rhea Seehorn) ...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 13, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is my favorite comedy of all time

jonah ryan and richard splett are two of the most well-written television characters ever

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

That finale was great. Wrapped up things nicely and still funny.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

To be honest I wasn't even going in expecting them to wrap things up, Selina is a career politician and she was going to continue getting into ridiculous escapades for years to come. She's not someone that's shown much character growth, so it would have been fine if they'd just shown her getting or losing the nomination and then moving on to the next crisis like always. It was a nice treat to get to see her get to the White House, and even 25 years later to see how her legacy endured (lol).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gum recessed face anus

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

wrong thread

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
I really enjoyed season 7 even if I think it was a bit exaggerated compared to the other seasons. But reality is exaggerated these days.

Also poor Gary

Nifft fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 14, 2019

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

LinYutang posted:

The alternate ending here would have been much more satisfying.
I had always expected it to end with her as VP again.

I would really like to know how Jonah got impeached.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 14, 2019

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

great ending. things like the quick ingraham/neo-nazi salute joke and otherwise calm characters like kent and marjorie flipping out about jonah as veep killed me.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
White male. Type II diabetes... also type I.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kent flipping out felt weird to me, it came across as one of those finale moments where you for some reason have to have something radical for every character, and what made Kent's character work for me was that he was this immovable, monotone object that acted as a stark contrast to just about every other character (though Marjorie encroached on that a bit, and also had a freakout moment) which is why his freakout was a bit of a miss for me, as was his being in a biker gang last (?) season, it felt a bit too zany. Shame he didn't get one more moment with Sue though.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

one thing that confused me about that part was amy going from gloating in selina’s face about jonah’s potential victory to begging selina not to place him a heartbeat away from the presidency. chalked it up to a delayed realization, but it felt like i missed a scene.

started from the bottom, now we here. blaka blaka blaka

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Stare-Out posted:

Kent flipping out felt weird to me, it came across as one of those finale moments where you for some reason have to have something radical for every character, and what made Kent's character work for me was that he was this immovable, monotone object that acted as a stark contrast to just about every other character (though Marjorie encroached on that a bit, and also had a freakout moment) which is why his freakout was a bit of a miss for me, as was his being in a biker gang last (?) season, it felt a bit too zany. Shame he didn't get one more moment with Sue though.

I liked it as the final insult to the Jizz Giant. No matter what else Selina did, Kent and Amy would have been on board, foreign interference, embezzling, hell even murder was ok with them. But Jonah loving Ryan in the White House? There are lines even they won't cross.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
This show has been low-key excellent from start to finish.

I didn't finish my rewatch of the series before the finale, but I made it far enough to get to the season 4 ep during which Jonah downplays his sexual assault at the hands of Patton Oswald as "locker room tomfoolery" (episode aired in 2015). Just amazing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I guess I read it as Amy thinking that Jonah could get the nomination, which would be great for her career, but not win the presidency (great for everyone else), but at that moment she realized that with Selena at the top of the ticket he actually would end up in the White House. And she was right, he did. Fortunately Selena held onto the position for the whole term and he was impeached somewhere in there. But hey first and only ever VP to be impeached. That'll put him in the history books forever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Stare-Out posted:

Kent wasnt ever as motivated or on the same page mentally as the other characters and he always came off as a weirdo type. He was wearing a denim jacket to a funeral which definitely fit a Kent who'd totally given up on propriety.

I agree it was a finale moment but it was something I imagined him doing at some point.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 14, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I loving loved Dan as an orange Florida real estate agent.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I always assumed he'd spend his retirement working to restore the monarchy of Hawaii.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Kent was in a biker gang remember. He was always super chilled outside of DC

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I was glad to see more tirades from Jeff Kane. I think I'll miss him and Furlong the most. "Gum-recessed face anus" is an instant classic.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Bloodbath posted:

Kent was in a biker gang remember. He was always super chilled outside of DC

Also, if you go back to early seasons where Kent was introduced, he was much more passionate and less monotone. I viewed the finale as partly a throwback to old Kent.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pmchem posted:

Also, if you go back to early seasons where Kent was introduced, he was much more passionate and less monotone. I viewed the finale as partly a throwback to old Kent.

When he timed his speech to end when his noodles were done is one of my hands down favorite moments of the entire show.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

When he timed his speech to end when his noodles were done is one of my hands down favorite moments of the entire show.

*DING*

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jason Sextro posted:

I was glad to see more tirades from Jeff Kane. I think I'll miss him and Furlong the most. "Gum-recessed face anus" is an instant classic.

"I'll give em 5 minutes before I hit em with bad cop" got me to cackle madly.

Dude is a treasure.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess I read it as Amy thinking that Jonah could get the nomination, which would be great for her career, but not win the presidency (great for everyone else), but at that moment she realized that with Selena at the top of the ticket he actually would end up in the White House. And she was right, he did. Fortunately Selena held onto the position for the whole term and he was impeached somewhere in there. But hey first and only ever VP to be impeached. That'll put him in the history books forever.

They never said when he was impeached. The show ends 24 years after Meyer had been reinstalled as president. One term for Meyer, two for kemi, sprett was just reelected so that`s one for him. Adds up to 16 years, leaving just enough time for Ryan to be serve 1,5 terms. Maybe Sprett was his VP for term nr 2?
That would actually make a lot of sense as unless his impeachment was recent he would not have been barred from the funeral. If Nixon could be partially redeemed in his own lifetime (President Clinton did honor him by giving an televised eulogy at his funeral after all, how toxic was he really at point?)so could (and will) Ryan given enough time. Then again having her VP that got himself impeached at her funeral would be the last thing Meyer would want no matter how many years had gone by. So you could be rigth.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

They did say he was impeached.

Jonah: "I didn't want to go to that stupid funeral anyway."

Beth: "Then it's a good thing you got impeached, they didn't have to invite you."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That has got to be a top 10 all time finale, god drat

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I totally missed the joke the first time around that during Tom Hanks' eulogy they mention his work in "Philadelphia 2" and then cutting to a clip of "The Money Pit". They're both great such fantastic jokes, aside from the main call back joke. 3 jokes perfect jokes in like 10 seconds. Amazing.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 15, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad they got Sue back, I think that was a bigger Hell Yeah moment than anything on GoT lol.

Also Kent becoming an old hippie was great, as was Mike continuing to fail upwards. Really everyone got a perfect ending

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about Sue. Did she leave to do something else, or did they just not want to have to contrive a reason to keep her around after Selina left the White House?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

General Dog posted:

I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about Sue. Did she leave to do something else, or did they just not want to have to contrive a reason to keep her around after Selina left the White House?

I think the actress had some health issues so she just wasn't around for filming, I don't think she was actually written out of the story.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
In show, Sue stayed on as personal secretary for President Montez.
https://veep.fandom.com/wiki/Sue_Wilson

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it would have been nice if they picked a real actor to play montez, i dont know who that woman who played her was but she didnt do anything except say lah-oo-ra montez for the past 2 seasons. Really the only role that wasnt filled perfectly imo.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 15, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the aged characters were so god drat funny. the insult guy being pushed around in the wheelchair by the man who, if karma were real, should looooong be dead. But he's the one walking. So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

the aged characters were so god drat funny. the insult guy being pushed around in the wheelchair by the man who, if karma were real, should looooong be dead. But he's the one walking. So good.

"Ah, Will's not what he used to be", classic.