Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

ok this one is pretty on the nose, lol

jonah's the speeches

selena's the crimes

This episode was a stark illustration of how reality has outpaced this show. The Chinese collusion seems like something the Veep crew absolutely would have come up with themselves, especially with Selina unofficially accepting the deal on a whim in the middle of an unrelated press conference. A few years ago it would have blended into the show perfectly. But with the Mueller Report just being released, I thought the same thing -- this is a little on the nose. I like watching my comedy presidential candidate getting into their own inept fuckups, but it's a little less fun when they're doing the same inept fuckups that our real life comedy president got up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

On the same note, I've been watching Black Mirror for the first time and got to the Waldo episode, and said the same thing: "This is a little on the nose", especially when the serious MP candidate calls him out during the debate.

Then I looked it up and saw that it came out in 2013.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

moolchaba posted:

STEP SISTER

It was "HALF SISTER".

It was already a hilarious little tidbit that Jonah had married a girl who used to be his stepsister. Finding out that his mother's been lying to him his whole life and he accidentally married (and knocked up!) his actual blood sister is just :discourse:. That kid's gonna have hooves.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

Amy's face during that last wheezing uncle scene at the funeral. So good. Love how they keep bringing Dan around and hinting that Amy and Dan will end up together and then Dan crushes her over and over.

I've always thought it was one of the few things that didn't really seem true to the character. She's a stress addict and too tightly wound to be a very sexual person, and she knows firsthand what an unbelievable slimeball and womanizer he is. So why is Amy always pining for Dan? The charming sleaze that he puts on to pick up women is an act that she saw through years ago.

I mean, it's given us some loving funny bits, it just doesn't ring true.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Minna episodes are always some of their best. That character just plays off of Selina perfectly, she's so forthright and good-natured and the entire time Selina is just barely stopping herself from telling Minna to shut the gently caress up. JLD is just fantastic with those tortured facial expressions. I just watched the episode where Stephen Fry is Minna's lover who had been poisoned by a political rival, and there's this fantastic scene where Minna tells Selina about how the poison also engorged his penis and changed the texture as well, which makes it great for a vaginal orgasm, and do you prefer a vaginal or a clitoral orgasm, Selina? and JLD's barely-contained dread is just fantastic.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

LinYutang posted:

I'm really unsatisfied with the ending. The whole season they seemed to be setting it up so that Catherine would snap and turn on her mother but no, they just wanted her around as a millennial punching bag. Selena got far too a happy ending.

I mean, I think we're supposed to believe that they never reconciled, given that Selina somehow managed to permanently ban gay marriage as basically the only accomplishment of her presidency. She burned her family, she burned her principles, she even burned poor Gary, and all she got was a fairly meaningless one-term presidency. Even soulless Kent wouldn't follow her in the end. I think it was pretty fitting, everything considered.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

To be honest I wasn't even going in expecting them to wrap things up, Selina is a career politician and she was going to continue getting into ridiculous escapades for years to come. She's not someone that's shown much character growth, so it would have been fine if they'd just shown her getting or losing the nomination and then moving on to the next crisis like always. It was a nice treat to get to see her get to the White House, and even 25 years later to see how her legacy endured (lol).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

I'm ashamed to say I'd forgotten all about Sue. Did she leave to do something else, or did they just not want to have to contrive a reason to keep her around after Selina left the White House?

I think the actress had some health issues so she just wasn't around for filming, I don't think she was actually written out of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I'm really gonna miss this show and Congressman Furlong and poor fuckin Will hahaha