Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lmao have these people been watching the same show for the last 7 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Montez (pronounced with a very long 'z' by characters that want to play up how in tune they are with the ethnic voters).

More importantly she was named Laura but pronounced it with an emphasis on the U.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zwdzk posted:

Wow. That third episode was so awful in terms of "Veep" quality that I had to look up who wrote it. I was optimistic after the first two episodes this season seemed like more of a return to form, but now that every character has been reverted back into a drooling, oblivious moron devoid of any humanity or subtlety, I know better.

I remember the previous seasons, in which most of my laughs weren't even from jokes but well acted characters and mannerisms. Meanwhile, Mandel thinks deepthroating corndogs is the height of comedy. I'll just be the one to say it: he sucks now, he sucked on Seinfeld, and he's sucked on everything in between. How they arrived at him to take over a show like Veep, the man whose main writing credits outside of Seinfeld are Clerks: The Animated Series and The Cat and the loving Hat, still boggles the mind.

https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118018867794599936
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118053502498918400
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118203330453336064

If these are an indication of the current Veep brain trust's comedic ideas, I'm glad this show is ending. And yes, I'm mad.

It's a TV show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zwdzk posted:

I will keep that in mind, TV show forums moderator. Thank You

I am the music forum mod, actually. Though both things are not worth getting that steamed about.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zwdzk posted:

You're right. I never should have gotten so furious In Real Life over a TV show. That's just silly. Thank You Again fine sir

Anyway, I think the writing of the new incarnation of VEEP is mediocre, and I'd be interested to hear if you agree or not and why you think that might or might not be.

I don't agree that it's mediocre but I think most of us recognize that it has declined in quality, both from Iannucci stepping down and reality outpacing television in terms of absurdity. Most of what you're complaining about regarding the characters happens to almost every show over time, which is why 7 seasons is about the max for most comedies without getting stale.

Despite all that it's still funnier than any currently running show that I can think of. But it's more like consistent B+ material than A material.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also if I can be nitpicky, the joke of the corndogs thing is that it’s what Jonah would find to be the height of comedy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The one thing that feels slightly off about the abortion thing is that it’s the rare moment where the show comes down firmly on one side of an issue. That might be part of why all those pro-lifers are having meltdowns about it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

The character of Selina has always been progressive (for a middle aged democrat)

That’s the thing though, her party is unstated and you can project whatever you want her to be onto her as a result. And if you’re anti-choice and see that a character as heinous as Selina is pro-choice, it’s easy to watch the show and think the writers must agree with you. Amy has slightly more of a moral compass and the protesters are made to look like idiots, so the show’s stance on the issue is clearer now than it was before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

clown shoes posted:

The Thick of It is on Amazon. Should I watch it?

Yes but I recommend subtitles

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

moolchaba posted:

I'm digging glammed up amy at the end... oooOOOooOohhh yeahhhhh.

That was sorta a shock to have Dan dropped at the end. Even more shocking he was in bed with Selina just prior to that.

Yeah that seemed kind of random and a little shark-jumpy tbh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Soccer knowers: is there a reason why it’s funny that Leeds United is the team the seedy Russian guy was buying, or was that probably just a fan in the writers room?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

All I know about football is that Leicester was owned by a seedy Thai businessman who crashed his helicopter onto the pitch after a game killing himself and his mistress...

...a couple of months ago.

Like half of the successful teams in Europe are owned by shady oil barons so I got that much of the joke. Just don't know if there's a Leeds-specific thing that makes it funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gum recessed face anus