Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Wow. That third episode was so awful in terms of "Veep" quality that I had to look up who wrote it. I was optimistic after the first two episodes this season seemed like more of a return to form, but now that every character has been reverted back into a drooling, oblivious moron devoid of any humanity or subtlety, I know better.

I remember the previous seasons, in which most of my laughs weren't even from jokes but well acted characters and mannerisms. Meanwhile, Mandel thinks deepthroating corndogs is the height of comedy. I'll just be the one to say it: he sucks now, he sucked on Seinfeld, and he's sucked on everything in between. How they arrived at him to take over a show like Veep, the man whose main writing credits outside of Seinfeld are Clerks: The Animated Series and The Cat and the loving Hat, still boggles the mind.

https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118018867794599936
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118053502498918400
https://twitter.com/DavidHMandel/status/1118203330453336064

If these are an indication of the current Veep brain trust's comedic ideas, I'm glad this show is ending. And yes, I'm mad.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a TV show.

I will keep that in mind, TV show forums moderator. Thank You

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

I am the music forum mod, actually. Though both things are not worth getting that steamed about.
You're right. I never should have gotten so furious In Real Life over a TV show. That's just silly. Thank You Again fine sir

Anyway, I think the writing of the new incarnation of VEEP is mediocre, and I'd be interested to hear if you agree or not and why you think that might or might not be.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

I don't agree that it's mediocre but I think most of us recognize that it has declined in quality, both from Iannucci stepping down and reality outpacing television in terms of absurdity. Most of what you're complaining about regarding the characters happens to almost every show over time, which is why 7 seasons is about the max for most comedies without getting stale.

Despite all that it's still funnier than any currently running show that I can think of. But it's more like consistent B+ material than A material.

I agree that it's the best show on, and it's still probably my favorite comedy series of all time. I guess my feeling is that Ianucci and his writers were such experts at weaving jokes naturally and realistically into dialog and interactions that anything else seems jarring and disappointing (to me) - especially when you look at Mandel's more joke-oriented character writing style which, since Seinfeld, has had an absurd quality to it. I actually think Mandel shines when he can write for a character like Costanza or Kramer, which is why I think he falters when he has to run a show that was, before now, very much grounded in reality (as opposed to something like "The Bizarro Jerry").

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Also if I can be nitpicky, the joke of the corndogs thing is that it’s what Jonah would find to be the height of comedy.

That actually exemplifies why I think the writing is mediocre. [inane rambling that amounts to describing flanderization]

That being said, I think this season stacks up a lot better than 6. I'll take the absurdity over the completely mean spirited approach any day.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 18, 2019