Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AirRaid posted:

I can’t decide whether the lack of chat about this game is because no-one is interested or that people have agreed that it looks rad and now there’s nothing to argue about until the game arrives.

I think it's a variety of factors and undecisiveness thereof if this will be good or not.

Not too much marketing happening
It's Avalanche, which the average gamer probably connects with both Just Cause 2, Mad Max and JC3, 4 unaware that they have 2 studios now with one of them somehow underperforming
RAGE is not the top tier franchise for many, because the 1st title was disappointing for quite a few and wasn't all the rage, not to mention when it came out it was the first Megatexture title which made it almost unplayable for anyone having an AMD card
RAGE franchise is connected with id and their collaboration (see #1) isn't really prominent

I would imagine that RAGE 2 will be fun, but given that Avalanche too took the road of ubification with their open world in Mad Max it could become very boring half-way through. 50/50 that this will be extremely good or just some action game. Kind of doubt that it will be as disappointing as JC3 and 4 at launch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I never got 1 working with my 5780 back then, but quite enjoyed it a generation or two later on nvidia.

For all it's faults it was a good shooter. But I'm also one of the weird people who enjoyed Doom 3 a lot.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I hope there will be as little FarCry as humanly possible in this.
I'm okay with the tower reveal but not much more. Shooting definitely looks very do4m so I'm not overly concerned.

Not going to watch more trailers though, gonna let the game speak for itself. Already hyped enough. :dance: :toot:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I don't think this will have much in common with the first game except for the name. It's Bethesda having no clue what to do with their bought up license rights from id and others.

This will be quite probably DOOM meets Mad Max.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Judge Tesla posted:

The first one tried to be that, it got the DOOM half right but the driving sections were a bit poo poo, there wasn't really anything to do in the drives between the couple of towns and bandit bases.

Yeah true, I meant the new Doom 4 though. The first Rage was a lot like a faster Doom 3 (not surprising) and pretty good on that front. Shooting was fun. I liked it for what it was and also wasn't super pissed about the driving either, but it could've been better.

Oxxidation posted:

megatextures were bad, but on the other hand they sucked

GreatGreen posted:

Ah, megatextures. They made games take 3 times as much HD space as other games of the time. At least they looked way worse though.

almost all idTech 5 and 6 games still using evolved versions of MT. Doom 4, Wolfenstein, Dishonored 2. It was just ahead of its time back when Rage came out using it. It's use is pretty visible too, leading to diverse and well designed environments without the typical repetition default tools like UE4 give you. By now however there are also other options, such as Ubisoft is using in many of their games.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I think most of id games were basically about Carmacks tech visions and less about creative and/or outstanding gameplay. Sometimes it went well together though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hammerstein posted:

The first RAGE had probably the best bullet impact physics&animations of the shooter genre. Stuff actually reacted properly to being hit. Not sure how I feel about the sequel though, to me it seems they wanted to go all out Fury Road but drifted into Borderlands 2 territory.

I still hope a lot of it is just the usual Bethesda/Zennimax being terrible at marketing. Had been true for doom 4, prey and Dishonored.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sebmojo posted:

All of them did, skyrim dungeons are actually really well designed imo.

Those dwarf mines were a real pain

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

preload just started, it's 31gig in download size

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah the first is included, no detail about the 2nd

from the bethesda site:

quote:

Included in the RAGE 2 Deluxe Edition:

Rise of the Ghosts – An exciting campaign expansion to RAGE 2! Stay tuned for more details at a later date.
DOOM BFG – Get your hands on DOOM’s big, friendly superweapon and eviscerate everything in your way in a flash of energy – Marine-tested, Ranger-approved!
Wasteland Wizard Cheat Codes – You’ve been granted mighty new powers by the reclusive wasteland wizard! Utilize this collection of exclusive “cheat codes” to rule the wasteland.
Progress Booster – Kick into Overdrive! Get more bang for your bang with this wasteland Progress Booster.
Battle Standard – Strike fear into the hearts of your enemies as you race into combat with this imposing banner streaming from your vehicle.

Pre-ordering the Deluxe Edition will get you these additional special bonuses:

Cult of the Death God Mission – A wild ride sends Walker after a cult of crazed mutants who seemingly worship the image of Nicholas Raine - the hero of the original RAGE. Survive the sewers and fight through hordes of mutants, including the massive and monstrous Abadon Warlock.
Nicholas Raine Armor and Settler Pistol – Slip into Raine’s legendary Arkist armor and relive the classics with his powerful Settler Pistol.
Mutant Monster Truck Skin – Run over enemies in style with this exclusive vehicle skin. The truck is self-cleaning, so don’t worry about those pesky blood stains messing up the pearl coating.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Meh. Just had enough time to get through the incredible boring intro and clearing the first roadblock, but so far it really is just mediocre at best with good shooting in it's core.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

playing a bit longer really gives me the Mad Max meets Bulletstorm vibe, and all sorts of influences. I think this is just mindless fun after a long workday. Story seems highly uninteresting from every aspect, RAGE wasn't really creative but id always nailed down staging for all their own games, now and before. Tight introductions of enemys, weapons, etc. Good times. Now I'm presented with a tutorial on how to use a loving shotgun... weee. (also the shotgun feels way too weak :( ) I find the visual quality oddly inconsistent for some reason. Mad Max had a much better overall look, and even Just Cause 4 has more consistency to it.

Could be that the fun runs out after half the completion since hunting chests and map icons has never been fun for a longer time but until then I probably enjoy it for what it is, not what it wants to be (and definitively not what marketing dreamt of it to be... lol)

It's not too bad really. But probably not worth the full price for most.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

foreshadowing?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Btw. in case it wasn't mentioned, changing the time of day in screenshot mode changes it for the actual game which is kind of nice.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Donovan Trip posted:

See kvasir. You'll be able to Scan for them.

This game gets better and better the more you play. Starting to feel like the reviewers didn't really give it a fair shake

Edit: I'm going to update the op with tips later today, feel free to suggest some.

I feel the same. It's actually quite entertaining and MUCH less annoying as the farcrie

Add where you get mandatory stuff like the shotgun

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zoig posted:

Also they released a patch and the first thing in the patch notes was that they removed denuvo lol.

So it now runs at 100fps on every rig bc denuvo sure just drains those precious frames. YouTube confirmed.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

they fixed the hold mechanic (which sucks but well... consoles and ubisoft, ty) so you can now run up to the car f.e. and pressing E long before the actual prompt appears so you can get in when you arrive instead of having to wait for the bar.

another qol for interface: space = enter. Don't press enter, just jump.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

HORMELCHILI posted:

Did they fix that for ladders also?

I think my post was premature and it wasn't fixed after all. It works when jumping in from above but I still got the same issue as before when walking towards the car. After the jumping upgrade I barely use ladders anymore though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Zzulu posted:

anti aliasing

I would recommend against lowering AA. TAA+FXAA combo like here is not pretty in terms of sharpness but unless you counter it with external solutions the image may get less blurry but also a lot worse in terms of quality. The current installment of Avalanches APEX engine already has plenty of flickering issues with it's AA and AO solutions, no need to make it worse.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

homullus posted:

Is it my imagination/a PS4 thing, or are the smashable crates just a little bit too low to the ground?

Nope. It's one of the major fuckups RAGE 2 has. They have way too much health and you usually can't hit them proper. You have to shoot them.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

3-beer-20hour-playtime-recap

RAGE 2 has a large spectrum between "hell yeah!" (sometimes) and "what the poo poo" (almost always in addition) It basically really is just a JC/Mad Max/Doom crossover so idk what went wrong there (probably time, but also production).
Most combat encouters are way too short to build up a flow. What would've been a lot more fun (as hives or high tier solar array missions) is to just up the crowd instead of making bullet spongy armor fuckers that are as fun as shooting tin cans. The power system is okayish, but suffers under the unnecessary progression system, where it just starts to get fun once having certain upgrades. The way it's controlled is also a notch too unituitive for me. I don't know if they wanted somethign "different" here or just failed, but things like slam are just not nicely implemented. I really never want to look straight down when doing that move unless I start from 50m above.
Car handling is somewhat bad, mostly the turnic arc though, which I think is realistic for that kind of cars but it's pretty much the last area where realism is wanted. Not to mention the super stupid way Icarus works. Many QoL things are absent, like having interaction as a hold mechanic for no reason because "E" has no other function in the game world and then breaking it if you press it too soon. Having 3 types of completion screens (one ingame as it should be, one unskippable and one for the XP you gained), not being able to spawn a vehicle in way too many scenarios, having abilities and therefore advanced jumping disabled in cities... all those small annoaynces accumulate.

It also turns into the common game of icon clearing after a couple of hours, which is now my major motivation. One more subtle issue is also sound authoring where music is constantly breaking or being active because you triggerd a random event 300m away. Which I dislike because a lot of tracks are pretty great and the game would gain much more atmosphere if this would've been more consistent and smooth. I do like that they put in quite a few options for the general mixing though which has at least one more as usual. Graphics are great outdoors but suffer when it comes to interriors, also the asset reuse is way too obvious. They just copy/pasted many areas and missions.
Weaponary is basic and lackluster. MG for the start, shotgun for the rest, RL for certain armor types and the railgun exclusively to get down those boring turrets, because for everything else it's just too slow and it isn't like the railgun in doom (or quake or any game for that matter). Ammo capacity for "special" guns is also extremely unnecessary, as well as their ammo distribution. When I take a step back I think overall I had definitively more fun in Just Cause 4 despite that ones shortcomings. The core just worked. Making poo poo go boom in hilarious ways.
RAGE 2 has a way that everything I do in that game has one or several points which are at the very least notably annoying. There is no overall issue (unless really getting into the game design, but that would go to far) but no system of it really leaves me satisfied. The only thing that do are environmental design and graphics because they are amazing.

It's a party with very cool people but you ended up having a bad conversation with that one guy and then people left and the alcohol you want is empty so you can't really enjoy the nice track that is playing.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 19, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

They even put the 2 most annoying options conveniently at the top. Options menu is pretty good if you care to check it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q722n4EJE8

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I used M3, worked okay except for dumb harvesting. Didn't really care for any other rebinds.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Speaking of areas I think this has my favorite post-apocalypse world design in terms of biomes and their style.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Steam?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/9200/RAGE/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

tuo posted:

Speaking of Rage 1: what I really like about Rage 2 is that they managed to capture/recreate the way the mutants move. I still think that Rage 1 had some of the best gunplay and especially enemy behaviour in the history of FPS games, it all just got drowned in all the lovely stuff.

I enjoy the fact that Rage 2 kept the way the mutants swarm you, irregardless of what's in their way and where they have to jump/climb/whatever.

It's been a long time, but IIRC there is this one mission in Rage 1 where you have to defend SOMETHING for some time from mutants which rush at you from different directions, and seeing them climbing, jumping over railways, toppling over themselves if you hit them during their advance....it was a very, very cool moment.

I'd replay Rage 1 in a heartbeat if there would be a way to simply play the story missions, without having to deal with all the other stuff. The shooting in Rage 1 was awesome.

e: to explain it a bit more: I know there are a lot of games with swarming enemies, but the way the pulled it off in Rage 1 (and now also in Rage 2) is awesome, with the enemies navigating the scenery like they are parcour-pros.

I had plenty of pathfinding issues, almost in every base that was even a tiny bit more complex. AI didn't really shine in my playthrough and was mostly cowardly hiding or doing default stupid poo poo. Maybe its a difficulty thing though, which would be nice since doing difficulty that way instead of only HP/dmg sliders is pretty good.

patchday

quote:

Audio fixes, such as NPC audio dips
Menu optimizations (reduction in latency)
Several crash fixes
Racing bug issues, including finishing in 1st place but receiving 2nd place (how rude!)
Reducing the amount of Wasteland Wizard locations (from 15 to 3!)
A dialog prompt issue with Kvasir
Mouse acceleration/smoothing options
New AMD sharpness algorithm for all platforms (to address “blurry” complaints)
Nicholas Raine armor fix