Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It's April!

Spurs now in danger of hilariously tumbling out of the top four with all their rivals on a much much better run of form. Huddersfield are gone, Fulham undeniably next so just the one relegation spot to decide, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Aw I forgot to change thread icon, oh well, somewhat appropriate

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/footballqueeen/status/1112834403007332358

Ha, gently caress The Sun

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Latest David Squires:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Raffles posted:

I like Squires, but everything I read from him now makes me think he'll never top the Wenger Shawshank Redemption one from last year. Everything else pales in comparision.

He peaks and troughs but I usually get at least one good snort laugh from his comics. The Sissoko bit was very amusing I thought and the Woodward panels.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

wooger posted:

What happened to them in the last few weeks? Pogba has been back to his turdlike form.

Is it just the injuries?

Injuries, some of the new manager bounce wearing off and yeah, Pogba not being in the right mood lately, it seems.

I took umbrage with Pogba's attitude under noted shitface Mourinho, he can gently caress off if he thinks he can pick and choose his moments under Ole as well.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Mourinho Ferguson was right about him him and his agent

Ahem...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'm unsure what you want me to elaborate on here.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

kcer posted:

your opinion that I quoted?

Why did I take umbrage with his attitude under Mourinho? He's a professional paid millions to do a job, do it. Why do I take umbrage with him seeming not in the mood lately? He's a professional paid millions to do a job, do it. Take issue with tactics, dislike the manager, whatever, but that doesn't excuse the languid wandering about and making a face when something doesn't come off when a moment does present itself and he can finally be arsed in a match.

The problem with building a team around Pogba is when he's not "in the mood" it shows across the rest of the team. Give Pogba time and space and comfort and he seems to be happy to showcase himself and the "Old United" comes back. The second a team makes things a bit difficult for either him with marking or the team as a whole with a switch of tactics and Pogba disappears.

PSG happened without Pogba on the pitch. Solsjkaer's managerial mettle isn't going to be tested through a top four finish or not, it's going to be in how he handles the Pogba problem.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

i like the way trp posters think that footballers can play world class games every single week but simply choose not to

Absolutely not at all what I said.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

kcer posted:

oh hang on my bad, I misread, I thought you said you didn't take umbrage under Mourinho

sorry!

Well that's my initial confusion cleared up! :D

Yeah, Mourinho's issues were there for all to see but plenty of players still at least appeared to try and do their best.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Fulham paid that little despite buying every player over the summer?

The similarity between Fulham and Newcastle struck me as odd too.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Red Tops suggesting that Pogba is wanting £500k a week, PSG are willing to match De Gea's £350k wage mark and Richarlison could be off to Liverpool in the summer.

No way Ole blinks given it's his dream to emulate Sir Alex. Depends how much Woodward's head is screwed on though.

There's been concrete statements from sources at the club around De Gea (basically he's not going anywhere and we'll do what it takes to keep him) and relative silence around Pogba so most likely Raiola is jumping on the De Gea/Herrera stuff and getting the ear of the press.

If true it makes little sense, given Pogba's recent performances, they're not exactly a compelling reason to get a new deal on even higher wages and it's not exactly been much of a shop window.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

This might sound really dumb but bear with me. In Utd fans opinions from this forum, if you could get somewhere close to £100m for Pogba, would you take that and try fill out some of the other positions that Utd are lacking in. Or is he one of those players that OGS thinks he can get the best out of consistently?

Saner fans would choose for Pogba to go at this point I think, if it's a choice between him getting a massive new contract or flogging him for a lump sum. The larger concern remains recruitment rather than sales whatever happens with Pogba. No one will give a poo poo if we recruit well this summer (there's stuff coming out that both Phelan and OGS have concerns about the current setup, surprise surprise, so I expect to see something change there, DoF or no DoF) and pack Pogba off somewhere with the air of "SAF was right".

Pogba is the least of the problems if Smalling remains a nailed on starter, Shaw is the only credible left back, Young/Dalot the only options at RB and the next best midfielders after a moody Pogba that are first choice are an aging Matic and an about to leave Herrera. McTominay doesn't look ready to start being a guaranteed starter to replace Herrera and the jury should stay out on Fred until next season imo.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

There is absolutely no way Pogba transfers directly to Liverpool for any kind of fee that we'd expect for him even if Klopp wanted him. There'd be uproar on both sides and Pogba's reception at Anfield would be hilarious.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

I don’t see anyone but PSG and maybe Madrid paying that kind of money for Pogba, and Madrid seems unlikely.

Didn't Raiola and Zidane make eyes at each other in the press recently? I don't know how much Real Madrid can afford to buy for Zidane given the stadium plans but I can certainly see Woodward falling for some sort of deal involving cash plus Bale.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shroud posted:

Wasn't it Gabriel Heinze that ManU absolutely refused to sell to Liverpool a while back ago?

Yes.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Spurs apparently do better when Son is fit without Kane anyway so...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Probably not helping Kane that he's got a lot of minutes on the clock already at his age and he's a big lad. That's a lot of impact on soft tissues. See: Wilshere, Jack

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Diet obviously plays a role in recovery, there's work going on with Peter Brukner and the Australian cricket team (non cheat related lol) comparing recovery on modified low carb/keto style diets vs the potentially inflammatory high glucose intake/glucose packets/lucozade drink/pasta type fueling that you see in most mainstream sports. https://vernerwheelock.com/163-low-carb-helps-aussie-cricketers-to-improve-performance/

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

kcer posted:

the travels of liverpool fans in europe is well documented, yes

:monocle:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

I imagine most of Old Trafford will be bringing out their sarcastic "OH NOOO" banners like Lazio fans did when they lost to Inter. Most of RedCafe seems to be gunning for a dignified loss.

Well my hot take is we need to win all our matches now to have a prayer of top four given our goal difference and I still want City to win the league now that the quadruple is off. So when City notch up a cricket score against us I'll be pissed off with some "at least this keeps City on for the title".

TBH the only thing that's still got me cringing at Liverpool doing it are the fans that won't shut the gently caress up about it for the next decade. The less United fan/more sentimental human in me appreciates the poetry of Liverpool doing it 30 years on from Hillsborough. I'm more concerned with the clean sweep through the squad Ole needs to do and how not having CL football next season will make that harder especially as there's teams like Real Madrid going through the same process. All moot if the recruitment process remains as Woodward spraying money at wherever he lands in the latest round of pin the tail on the galactico as he, blindfolded, jams a pin into a Pannini sticker book.

e: Rumours are coming out of the club that Phelan is set to be appointed as Technical Director. That would be brilliant if so.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 22, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I would worry that Phelan is insufficiently independent and powerful to be a good counterbalance to Woodward.

Why would that be different if hiring An Outsider? Any TD appointment needs to be enabled by Woodward. The best thing about what's happening at the moment is Woodward is cuffing himself, intentionally or not. On the one hand, he's appointing fan favourites with no doubt a marketing spin as the motivator. On the other hand, he's appointing fan favourites, which means if Woodward keeps loving things up by being Woodward, he won't have the fans happy enough with either Ole or Phelan being sacked. It won't take long in the summer for journos close to the club to start pointing out he's continuing to be a twat. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Mourinho's biggest bullet to his own feet was his caustic public attitude towards the players and what lost him the fan support in the end.

My secret wank fantasy was Eric getting the TD position in a symbolic/philosophical role to let Ole and Phelan do their thing which would also have given a big shot in the arm for the club <-> fan media relationship which is currently loving dire compared to City's. Main reason I mention this is related to the fan loyalty point above, as Cantona is probably the only appointment Woodward could have made to such a position that would have got an even stronger fan backlash than loving Ole and Phelan about will get if he does.

There's noise around the club that this is Woodward's last throw at getting it right before he's disappeared back to marketing by the Glazers. Even they realise their cash cow is going to be unmilkable if Woodward keeps loving up the football aspect.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 22, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Klopp giving Utd the best team talk they have had since SAF left

:drat:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I wonder what it is about Everton and their influence on the fortunes of better off clubs. They've been the turning point for Ferguson's second to last title bid (you could also argue the 07 if memory serves title win after going 2-0 down at Goodison to then win 4-2 and start the 3 in a row), Moyes (sacked), Pep (hammered City who next season had a near perfect title win with a points record), the last minute win for Liverpool could still be pivotal and now, potentially Ole.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 24, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

His agent is toxic as gently caress as well.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

I wonder how Balotelli and Pogba would have been without Raiola. There’s probably only so much you can do with Balotelli, but I imagine both might have been better off by not having an agent who constantly agitated for moves.

Given the main reason for Pogba leaving the first time was Ferguson largely telling Raiola to gently caress off as he didn't think Pogba was working hard enough (while talented he wasn't even the best player in that particular youth team) I'd imagine a similar trajectory as players like Ben Arfa and Taraabt; talented yet inconsistent.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Ravel Morrison is now playing in Sweden.

Now that was a loving waste of talent the dozy bugger.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Nope.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

How badly does it have to go before you'd feel it was time for Ole to go?

How did you feel about Dalglish's second tenure at Liverpool?

I (and I admit I could well be nostalgically biased here) genuinely think he and Phelan can make a positive difference. The stagnation that has obviously been going on for some time, quite possibly even by the tail end of Ferguson's tenure, isn't going to be reversed in a single pre season. Whomever was next permanent manager (even if we didn't appoint Ole and poached Poch instead I'd think the same at this point) needed to be given time, power and resources to arrest that particular problem. Unless it becomes obvious Ole doesn't know wtf he's doing, he and Phelan should be given the time needed to turn things around.

I don't expect a title challenge next season, we're ridiculously off the pace and haven't had the shrewd purchasing and work that say, Klopp has had the time to do, I'll be quite happy with an improvement on wherever we end up finishing this season. The club is reaping what the Glazers/Woodward have sewn.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

There's a championship thread... Stop posting poo poo about Swansea here.

They're literally replying with relevant information about what was being talked about.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don't give two shits either way about Ole other than finding yet more United drama amusing but I do love the screeching 180 and breathless revisionism of punditry sagely questioning his long term placement like they weren't all howling a month ago for him to get the job

This has been the most amusing thing about it. For me that is, I'm sure the losses have been far more enjoyable for others :D

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

I don't think anyone was expecting the fading in form to happen so drastically and quickly.

Honestly I think some of the squad bought into their own bullshit and "Manchester United" as some form of can do anything against the odds entity and took their foot massively off the gas.

We were at least up for the derby game even while being obviously a cut under the quality of the opposition. Chelsea will be much more telling.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Mirror is reporting that United are prepared to just buy out the contracts of Sanchez and Rojo so they can gently caress off.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bape Culture posted:

Brunei seem like they’d be game lately

Not with recent law changes there they won't.

e: Oops, misread.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lol, nice find.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

sterling won young player of the year lol

I was about to ask why that's so funny then noticed "young".

There's got to be some sort of change to that award rather than it just being age based. It should focus more on breakthrough players.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Bailly is apparently proper hosed and will miss AFCON. Poor fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

:thunk: