Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is...gonna be something. Most of our team is now set for free agency after next season.

Our salary is projected at $86.8m, and the cap will probably be around $165m. The owner won't let us spend to the cap and he'll fight us on any big money extensions.

For reference sake, here's what some of these guys are asking:

Sixto Sanchez: 7/362 (AAV $51m)
Jonathan India: 5/169 (AAV $33m)
Esteban Ochoa: 5/140 (AAV $28m)
Jamie Callahan: 4/68 (AAV $17m)
Pablo Lopez: 7/227 (AAV $32.5m)

Decisions...will be made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I have a proposal for you, kid.

I've been sniffing around our constant trading partner, the Twins. I am in love with their top guy: Danny "Sheriff" Boothe. He's the #12 overall prospect, but only because he only has a year of pro ball...he was the #1 pick draft before last, and the Twins have been handling him with kid gloves.

This kid...is a once a decade pitcher. He's 6'6", with a deep over the top motion that makes it seem like the ball is halfway to home when he releases. He can hit 100 now, and might add some velocity as he gets stronger. He has 5 plus pitches (FB, CB, SL, SPL, FK) and go deep into games. He's a poo poo hitter and mediocre fielder, but he has the best stuff I've ever seen from a kid his age. He's also 22 years old, and will probably be ready for the bigs next season.

Getting him though...will be a challenge. It will probably take two of our top prospects, plus. So, that means probably Luis Avalos plus either Luke Leto or Paullo Schwab. They want Rainmaker, but he isn't going anywhere as long as I'm in town.

What do you think?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

How's the kids durability? Does he have an injury history?

If it's all clear than I say get him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I believe in CheatPete

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have no preference but I feel like we should try to lock up Spencer Jones. FRANCHISE.

I also really want to keep Ochoa but I don't know if we can keep that much salary locked up long-term for two guys.

Frick. I don't even know how to think about building a roster anymore. We can't plan for poo poo now. The free agent market is going to go fuckin bonkers.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

What's the point of having a Salary Cap if we can't even go up to it? Stupid cheap rear end owners.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

bewbies posted:

Danny "Sheriff" Boothe

What do you think?

I'm guessing you're sure they won't take any of the soon-to-be-free-agents on our roster, which means sell the farm, there's a new Sheriff in town

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

What's the point of having a Salary Cap if we can't even go up to it? Stupid cheap rear end owners.

Salary floor when

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We actually spend a higher proportion of revenue on salary than almost any other team. We just...don't have much revenue.

How's the kids durability? Does he have an injury history?

If it's all clear than I say get him.

He hasn't ever had an injury, but we all know how tall, hard-throwing pitchers can go....

So, we got Danny "Sheriff" Boothe, but it took a small fortune. This was a decent idea:

oldskool posted:

I'm guessing you're sure they won't take any of the soon-to-be-free-agents on our roster[/b]

So, we offered up Pablo Lopez and will pay half his salary this season ($7.5m), Paullo Schwab (#13 prospect), Wander Javier (ML-ready SS with a good bat but minus glove) and Luke Leto (#14 prospect) for him. Which is a huge investment in a young pitcher. Basically, it will suck if either 1) he busts, or 2) we can't retain him long-term.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Opening Day, 2023 Season

We're predicted to win 110 games.

News out of Spring Training:
- Two serious injuries, both to good-not-great bullpen arms: Jose Alcala and Dylan Lee are both out for the duration with different arm ailments.
- Myles Straw was upset with his role here (which was basically platooning with Spencer Jones), so we sent him off for a surprisingly decent young SP, Osvaldo "The Lucky Rabbit" Hernandez. He's ML-ready but will start in AAA.
- Two rookies made the squad: Juan "Rainmaker" Ibarra and Carlos Perez, who still needs a nickname. Rainmaker is one of the most exciting prospects I've seen: his bat isn't plus...yet (I'd guess a 270/350/400 season), but he's the ultimate speed merchant: 80 glove in CF, 80 speed, 80 steal. He's a bit prone to errors and his arm is about average, but his range is obscene. I don't even know what a good historical comp is for this guy...Willie Wilson? Carlos Perez isn't looking like the superstar we'd once hoped for, but he'll be an elite glove and arm behind the plate and could hit 20 dingers this year, though he'll probably flirt with the Mendoza line.
- We raised ticket prices from being by far the lowest in the league to being just below league average. This cut season ticket purchases by 20%, but should increase per-game revenue by 25%. We might just get to that salary cap yet!

Lineup:

Rainmaker Ibarra, CF
Daniel Cerda, SS
Big Tuna, 1B
Spencer "Burger King" Jones, RF/SP
Jonathan India, 3B
Esteban Ochoa, DH
Raymundo Moreno, LF
Carlos Perez, C
Nico Hoerner, 2B

Pitching Staff:

Spencer Jones
Sixto Sanchez
Yu Darvish
Carter Rustad
Fernando Romero

Dirty Jamie Callahan (CL)
Riley Ferrell
Jamie Sutton
Ian Gibaut
Durbin Feltman
Zac Houston
Jimmy Herget
Tommy Eveld

I hate seeing this bullpen get dismantled. We need to try and retain at least one or two of these guys.

Also, Spencer "Burger King" Jones wants to stay in town, which is great. He wants 7/200 (AAV $28m) which...is a bargain, in my opinion. That pretty much locks in our long term core as him, Cerda, and Big Tuna, and means we're losing Sixto Sanchez after the season. If we're going to lock him down, we should do it now, as he's about to explode. Sign the deal? Or do we try and woo our 24 year old two time Cy Young (but no all star appearances) young superstar, who wants almost twice as much as Burger King?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Keep the Burger King. In true Marlins fashion, it'll be easy to ship him out if we need the budget room for someone else later.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Yessssssss.

The Burger King is dead, long live the Burger King.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2023 All Star Break

44-31, .587, 2nd place, NL East

It has been a trying first half.

First, injuries. Several key players missed time, most notable, Big Tuna missing 5 weeks with a knee sprain (which easily could have been a tear, and a lost season).

Second, our bats have been ice cold. Cerda turned into a pumpkin of sorts. India and Burger King spent much of the spring below the Mendoza Line. Ibarra has struggled with major league pitching. Big Tuna was really the only hitter to meet expectations, but he's missed a month of the season.

That said, it is hard to be mad at Burger King when he's been the best pitcher in the game so far this season. He's riding a low BABIP, but that K/BB ratio is Truth. Sixto Sanchez has been medicore, and Yu Darvish may be on his last legs. Carter Rustad haas been a nice surprise, with only 8 walks in 73 IPs.

Good news: Burger King signed an extension for 7/189!

Now, we have some tough decisions to make. We're losing virtually our entire bullpen (including Jamie Callahan), Sanchez, India, and Ochoa this offseason. We could deal them all, or deal some of them this summer, and get some value back. But, you don't lose a Cy Young pitcher, an all star 3B, a solid DH, and all or part of an elite bullpen and NOT miss them during the playoffs. This...doesn't look like a World Series team right now, but those bats could heat up in the summer.

Do we shop any of the following?

Jamie Callahan
Jonathan India
Fernando Romero
Esteban Ochoa
Jimmy Herget
Riley Ferrell
Durbin Feltman
Isan Diaz
Zac Houston
Tommy Eveld
Ian Gibaut

I'd say at a minimum we should shop Romero (we have several solid young arms in AAA) and a couple of the RPs. We also have a decent 3B in AAA, if we want to backfill for Johnny India.

I'm tempted to extend Jamie Callahan at ~4/60, but I'll leave that to the group.

Finally Danny "Sheriff" Boothe scared the poo poo out of me when he walked out for his first start in AAA and promptly gave up 5 ERs in 4.2 IPs. Since then, he's struck out 93 in 75 IPs and pretty well dominated his competition. We shouldn't call him up this year no matter what, but he'll be ready to star in a ML rotation next season.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

shop everyone on an expiring contract

gotta get those young cost controlled guys now

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dirty Jamie Callahan agreed in principle to a 5/65 offer, with a TO in the last year. I feel like this is a very good deal, but will withdraw if there is protest.

Pete's been working on our expiring contracts. He has some interesting deals in place.

Too bad Johnny India was never really as good as the sum of his parts. Here's what we got for him.

Forrest Whitley. 25 year old pitcher who just made his first ASG. 95 mph, 70 fastball, and 3 more plus pitches. Probably won't go much past 170 innings, but is an elite young SP. Problem is, his contract is expiring (along with half the league). He'll probably want $15-20m AAV to extend. Which...could be a bargain. Big risk/big reward.

Freddy Peralta is a 27 year old SP with killer stuff and a frighteningly good slider. His big problem is control: he's led the league in walks 3 times. He's also on an expiring deal, but should be cheaper to extend, and is a good mid-rotation guy for the next 5 years or so.

Adonis Medina is a 26 year old SP who could be a staff ace, but hasn't put it all together yet. He's the kind of guy we could sign to a cheap-ish extension and potentially ride into Cy Young contention...if he gets his head on straight. The Phillies are eager to offload as their clubhouse has collapsed and he's requested a trade. Another FA after the season, but should extend for around $10m a season.

Khalil Lee is a 24 year old RF who COULD be an OBP/HR monster with a decent glove in right. He's ALSO expiring, but should extend at a reasonable rate.

Cole Roederer is one of the only worthwhile offers NOT on an expiring contract. He's...intriguing. Middling glove in all 3 OF positions, not that fast, not great power...but he's an on-base monster. Like, north of .420 splitting time between AAA and MLB this season and last.

For Fernando Romero:

JT Ginn is a hard throwing RP with 3 good pitches. He's got a year of arbitration left and could potentially extend at a reasonable rate. He'll help backfill the upcoming nuclear disaster facing our bullpen.

Lun Zhao is a 21 year old Chinese (like...People's Republic of China) reliever. He throws 100, and has a 75 curve. He's probably close to ML-ready and still has all 3 years of team control left.

For Esteban "El Gran Dolor Ochoa:

Rhys Hoskins. I know, I know. Hear me out....this is interesting. He wants out of the Philly disaster too. While he's 30, and has a terrible glove, he still has a 40 HR bat, and he's on a very reasonable contract: $10m this season, then $14m each of the next two. He'd slot in nicely as a budget DH with huge power.

Nate Lowe. Another no-glove slugger who we could make use of in the DH slot. Expiring contract, but should be fairly cheap to extend. 275/375/550 kind of hitter.

Seth Beer. He's a once-highly-touted prospect stuck in Memphis. ANOTHER no-glove slugger, he has a year of arbitration left. He doesn't have the power potential of the previous two, but could be a consistent .400 OBP hitter.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm thinking Medina, Zhao, and Hoskins. May as well pull the trigger on Callahan as well.

Gonna be a sad day when Ochoa heads off the homestead.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sorry for the absence....we are BACK AT THE HELM.

104-58, .642, 1st Place, NL East

Three big trades went down at the deadline:

Jonathan India and Keegan Fish (nothing 3B prospect) for Cole Roederer and Yovanny Cruz (23 y/o ML-ready sinkerballer) (they withdrew Medina for some reason)

Fernando Romero for Lun Zhao and Kerry Wright (hard throwing 22 y/o starter with 4 pitches)

Esteban "El Gran Dolor" Ochoa for Rhys Hoskins and Ben Brown (soft-tossing RP with great junk pitches)

We couldn't make any IFA signing under the new CBA (I don't know) so there's a lost opportunity.

Later, the Phillies came calling with Adonis Medina (I guess they decided to trade him after all) asking for our pretty good backup catcher, Peter Hutzal. So, we turned a rule 5 pick into a #2 starter, cool. Medina wants a lot to extend though, unfortunately.

We got Dirty Jamie Callahan extended for 3/39, with a TO in the 4th year.

The tattered 37 year old remains of Josh Donaldson found their way to our AAA team. He was not worth a September callup. The slightly less tattered remains of 34 year old Marwin Gonzalez, on the other hand, proved to be a nice fill in for our uninspiring new 3B James Nelson, who was lost for the year with a bad quad.

We were in a dogfight for the NL East with the Washington Nationals right into the last week.

Cerda had a nice second half...while he wasn't good for 11 WAR again, a solid 8 WAR campaign seems to indicate his last season wasn't a fluke (thankfully, as we owe him a lot of money.) Big Tuna put up huge numbers despite missing a lot of games, and Juan "Rainmaker" Ibarra's speed and defense made up for an underwhelming bat. Raymundo Moreno had a career year with 30 dingers, and Carlos Perez had a solid season as our rookie catcher. Spencer Jones fought the bat all year long, but had a nice fall to bring his numbers up to something reasonable. Rhys Hoskins was a monster for us after the trade, with 20 dingers in only 78 games.

Spencer Jones was nasty, and should win the Cy Young. Carter Rustad put up another solid season, and Dirty Jamie Callahan was lights the gently caress out. Our bullpen otherwise was...hit or miss, suffering from injury problems and inconsistency all year long (note: they were still the 3rd best in the NL).

Vladimir Guerrero Jr had a season his dad would be proud of (342/429/632), with 41 dingers and 43 doubles, and 9.2 WAR despite being a middling defender. Big Tuna had a better Woba and identical OPS+, though...

Shohei Ohtani put up 265 Ks in 204 IPs, with a league leading 7.5 WAR.

Daniel "Sheriff" Boothe struck out 247 in 173 IP in AAA, and put up a 3.12 ERA. We may regret not having him in the playoffs, but TC years are solid gold these days.

The Nats lost to the Milwaukee Brewers in the play-in game, and the wild card system is kind of stupid. We have the Brewers in the ALDS.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 8, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

bewbies posted:

We've traded Keegan Fish

How dare you trade this guy without consulting us.

His name is literally fish! How could you?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

We have the Brewers in the ALDS.

:raise:

Also Wild Card games own

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

How dare you trade this guy without consulting us.

His name is literally fish! How could you?

He was never making it out of AA, and they wanted him BAD for some reason. On the plus side we now have what I assume will be the first Chinese MLB player.

IcePhoenix posted:

:raise:

Also Wild Card games own

...oops

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lun Zhao is PRC?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lun Zhao is PRC?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=zhao--000lun

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2023 NLDS: Miami Marlins vs Milwaukee Brewers

Game 1
Game 1 Log

Game 2
Game 2 Log

Game 3
Game 3 Log

Game 4
Game 4 Log

Game 5
Game 5 Log

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I had no idea this kid was real. Man it would be something to see him make it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Holy poo poo where were our bats there?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
wonder if, ever, someone has stolen 3 bases in a shutout

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Yeah, apparently Ibarra is fast as gently caress, but nobody’s following up for him :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, that was an unsatisfying result. At least the Brewers are screwed by the cap next year...half their money is going to Thor and Arenado.

Award winners last year:

Dirty Jamie Callahan, Reliever of the Year (3rd)
Spencer Jones, Cy Young (1st)
Big Tuna, MVP (1st)

Apparently Tuna was good enough for MVP but not for Silver Slugger. Thanks, Peter Alonso.

2023 Offseason

THIS IS THE YEAR the salary cap comes into play. The cap this season is $172 million. Believe it or not, we actually have enough money to spend to the cap!

After arbitration, this is what our salary situation looks like:

As you can see, Nico Hoerner and Raymundo Moreno both got nice raises in arbitration. Carter Rustad did also, but has another arb year left. Carlos Perez is nice and cheap.

Our finances:

So we've got around $15m under the cap for the GREATEST FREE AGENT CLASS IN SPORTS HISTORY.

VOTE

Our hitters are pretty much set, I think. We could even consider trading Raymundo Moreno, he's going to be a star LF, but he's a free agent after the season, and we have two very useful COFs to backfill for him in Cole Roederer and Mike Siani, one of whom we should probably consider extending. Moreno wants 5/118 (AAV: 23.6) to extend, which I think is well outside of our budget.

Our pitchers, on the other hand, are in rough, rough shape. We have a total of six pitchers on the roster: Jones, Rustad, Callahan, Dylan Lee, Jamie Sutton, and Yovanny Cruz. At least some of them are very, very good.

So, we need to find at least 3 starting pitchers and 4 to 5 relievers, and do it with our $15m (or $27.5m if we trade Moreno).

The good news: we have some guys on the farm who are ready to roll. First among them is Daniel "Sheriff" Boothe, who is 100% ML-ready and the top prospect in the game. That's one SP. We also have 4 middling 25-26 year old AAAA types (Edward Cabrera, Oswaldo Hernandez, Zack Hess, and Connor Murphy) who are all ready for a ML look. So, tentatively, we may not need to sign a starter.

Our bullpen looks much worse. The Colorado Rockies inexplicably sent us Mike Nevitt, the #2 overall pick in 2022, for a middling SP prospect. He definitely looks like a reliver in the majors, but he'll be a good one, and he's probably ML-ready at age 23. He has a triple digit heater and a splitter...and thats it. That's all. Other than that, we have Jose Alcala, who is a AAAA guy who hasn't ever really excelled in the majors.

How do we want to address the bullpen?

- Sign one good free agent, and leave the rest to Rule 5 and waivers. This should leave us a bit of room for extensions or free agents.

- Sign two good free agents. This will lock down the pen, but will cost us the balance of our available money.

- Let it ride. Spend the money elsewhere, and trust in the guys we have and rule 5/waivers/latter free agency to get it done.

That said, we could also potentially scrape together the funds to make a BIG FREE AGENT SPLASH. If we trade both Moreno and Nico Hoerner (we have Riley Mahan as our backup MIF, he's about replacement-level or maybe a little better) we could go after some of the elite free agent starters of this class, including Sixto Sanchez or Mackenzie Gore. Or, we could trade away Rhys Hoskins and go after one of the big bats on the market.

Hitter Free Agents

Pitcher Free Agents

Finally, we need to start thinking about extensions, again. Juan Ibarra, Carlos Perez, and Carter Rustad are the big names coming up for big arb numbers...do we want to use any of our funds to extend them? I think all three will wind up being stars. Ibarra could be special, and Perez is a true two-way catcher which as we all know is extremely rare.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I say one free agent and trust Pete for the rest.

Maybe use some of the rest toward extensions if we can.

More detailed comment later (unless there's a wave of comments and a flurry of action here) as both the spouse and kid are doing roller derby today.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Okay so here's my thinking about extensions now:

Since we're in an era of a much more active free agent market, the only long-term deals I think we should look at handing out are either a) premium positions, or b) generational talent. We should, theoretically, be able to build a contender at basically any time given our budget, and the era of team control is so hilariously short now that, if our draft/trade/minors guys pan out, we're probably going to owe them a year of superstar money anyway in arb.

So roster construction would look something like 1/3 guys locked down, 1/3 arb guys, 1/3 league minimum guys, and free agents filling the gaps. I realize this is sort of standard assumptions, but on a much shorter timescale with lots of churn, and also while everyone else is theoretically doing the same. We can't count on the trades/minors route anymore because that market is essentially gone; we don't have seven years of hilariously under-market contract pricing. "Development" now consists of constant cycles of acquiring and losing guys, with no chance of a "core" of young, cost-controlled players. And with Jeets, I can't imagine that we'll get to hang onto more than a small handful of those guys anyway.

Basically what I'm saying is that, unless they're starters, middle infielders that can mash, maybe catchers, or elite centerfielders, we can probably just assume that we can fill those positions with quality-ish free agents whenever we want. (Plus maintaining our "Rule 5 is the Way" attitude.) It puts a huge strain on our offseasons, but that's the nature of this new CBA, I think.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'd go with BIG FREE AGENT SPLASH and trying to extend those three guys if possible.

I have to say, I started playing this game because of this LP (I've never seen a baseball game in my life) and I never knew how much I needed a sports management game in my life where I don't need to play the actual games. Thanks for that!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Average Lettuce posted:

I have to say, I started playing this game because of this LP (I've never seen a baseball game in my life) and I never knew how much I needed a sports management game in my life where I don't need to play the actual games. Thanks for that!

While it didn't cause me to start playing it (that was the regular MLB thread), I fire the game up at least once a week so I can yell at the Pohlads.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

Since we're in an era of a much more active free agent market, the only long-term deals I think we should look at handing out are either a) premium positions, or b) generational talent.

I think this is about right. Players are going to be WAY more fungible, and making a lot more money much earlier. The key to long term competitiveness, aside from having an elite core group, is going to be signing filler guys to reasonable deals, knowing that they're going to have to be replaced pretty much yearly.

To that end, we were able to lock down Juan "Rainmaker" Ibarra for 7/175 (AAV 25m), which gives us his potentially elite services through his age 26 season. That, however, puts us right up against the cap for next season: we're at $162m already, and losing Nico Hoerner and Raymundo Moreno.

Memphis signed Sixto Sanchez for 7/207. We got...$550k in compensation.

We scored some very nice deals in free agency. We signed Richard "Dick" Lovelady to a nice small longer-term deal: 5 years, 10 million, with a TO in the last year. This is the kind of deal that should help stabilize the bullpen for a while...Dick is a hard throwing lefty with 3 plus pitches and a nice track record.

Rule 5 was rough for us: we lost Jorge Alcala and two other decent players, but picked up Moises David Rodriguez, who has a 100 heater and a killer slider. He's only 21 and has only played rookie ball, so he's a bit of longshot, but he has the potential to be an elite bullpen arm.

Later in free agency, Pete found us a potentially very useful starter: Nick Sandlin never made it out of the pen in Cleveland, but he has 3 plus pitches and elite control, and he was cheap as all hell: 6 years, 15 million, with a TO in the last year. He should be a useful 4/5 starter for a long time. I think deals like this and Lovelady are the kinds of deals we should be desperately seeking out....that kind of value against the cap is huge.

Our last free agent pitcher signing was Adbert Alzolay, who is kind of a longshot starter. We gave him a 4 year, 5.6m deal, with two team options. I have no idea why he went for so little cash: he won 17 games for the Cubs last year.

Finally, just before spring training started, Pete busted into our office holding a scouting report:

Bo Bichette is still unsigned, and he's asking for peanuts. Go get him, and trade Nico Hoerner.

The trade market for Hoerner was stupid soft...good young players on the last year of arbitration are now very low-value trade chips. We swapped him for Will Rigney, who is a middling pitching prospect with a lot of upside. That wasn't the real reason we did the deal though: we got Bo Bichette to sign for 6/48, with two TOs. This is a ridiculously team friendly contract: he's a top shelf 2B coming off a bit of a down year, but he's 25, won a batting title two years ago, and is a legit 25/25 player. He should be getting three times what we're paying him based on what other guys got this offseason. Which, feels a bit exploitative, but...salary cap.

The next day, the Mariners came asking about Rhys Hoskins. Without even consulting with us, Pete told them Josh Naylor. Naylor is a no-glove hitter with an absolutely killer eye and a 30 HR bat...so, comparable to Rhys, but, virtually free. Saves us $14m against the cap this year and next, and is basically a one for one swap. We gave the go-ahead. Losing Hoskins hurt fan interest right before the start of the season, but was a good financial decision.

Spring training was a bit rough. Nick Sandlin went down with elbow soreness, and Trevor Richards had to retire after giving his brother a kidney. Bo Bichette strained an oblique, and Trevor Rogers blew a UCL.

Several rookies made the big club out of ST. Both of our blue chip prospects, Danny "Sheriff" Boothe and Luis "Stool" Avalos, prospects 1 and 3 respectively, are starters. Mike Nevitt (former #2 overall pick the Rockies sent us for next to nothing), Moises David Rodriguez (Rule 5 kid) and Lun Zhao (Chinese fireballer we got in exchange for Fernando Romero) all made the club.

We're predicted to win 113 games.

Lineup:
Juan "Rainmaker" Ibarra, CF
Josh Naylor, DH
Daniel "Burger King" Cerda, SS
Big Tuna, 1B
Spencer "Burger King" Jones, RF
Raymundo Moreno, LF
Bo Bichette, 2B
Carlos Perez, C
Luis Avalos, 3B

Staff:
Spencer Jones
Danny Boothe
Carter Rustad
Adbert Alzolay
Osvaldo Hernandez (AAAA kind of guy the last few years who had a great spring after a great year last year in AAA...he's the guy we got in exchange for Myles Straw)

Dirty Jamie Callahan (CL)
Moises David Rodriguez
Jamie Sutton
Mike Nevitt
Lun Zhao
Richard Dick Lovelady
Yovanny Cruz (guy we got in the Jonathan India trade
Ben Brown (guy we got as a throw-in in the Esteban "El Gran Dolor" Ochoa for Rhys Hoskins trade)

Also, Daniel Cerda needs a nickname, and Carlos Perez agreed in principle to a 7/119 (17m AAV) extension. I'm on the fence about this one...he hasn't proved himself as a star catcher yet, but two way catchers are the unicorns of baseball....

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Trevor Richards had to retire after giving his brother a kidney.

:stare:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bewbies posted:

Lineup:
Daniel "Burger King" Cerda, SS
Spencer "Burger King" Jones, RF

Can we trade for more guys nicknamed "Burger King"?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
we should just name everyone Burger King in their native tongue

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Nickname Cerda “White Castle of Fear”, and comedy option to give everyone a nickname of a popular chain restaurant

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

Can we trade for more guys nicknamed "Burger King"?

lol

well, why not

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2024 All Star Break

54-21, .720, 1st Place, NL East

All Stars: Spencer Jones, Adbert Alzolay, Lun Zhao, Big Tuna, Bo Bichette, Daniel Cerda, Juan Ibarra

Our offense has been brilliant, especially in the first month. Juan "Rainmaker" Ibarra has an outside shot at Rickey's SB record, Big Tuna is without a doubt baseball's premier hitter, and Daniel "White Castle of Pain" Cerda is putting in his typically brilliant shift. Luis "Stool" Avalos is putting up nice numbers for a 20 year old, and Bo Bichette has been the NL's best 2B. Only Josh Naylor has been a real disappointment.

....except for our team's annual tragedy. Three days after signing his 7 year, $119m extension, Carlos "Nachos BellGrande" Perez, batting against Arizona's Danny Duffy, hit one of the hardest balls of the season (105.6 mph) off the left field wall for a double. As he was sliding into second, he tore his ACL.

Spencer "Burger King" Jones has been his typically excellent self, and our reconstructed bullpen has been pretty brilliant...particularly Lun "Panda Express" Zhao and Adbert Alzolay. Osvaldo "The Lucky Rabbit" Hernandez has been an excellent surprise as the #5 starter. However, two young guys we were counting on for quality innings: Danny "Sheriff" Boothe and Carter Rustad, have been rather uninspiring.

Here's our salary outlook. I'd guess the cap next year will be around $185-190m, so we're probably going to have to ship some guys out.

We also may want to trade for a replacement catcher. Nick Fortes is a solid bat behind the plate, but he's a major liability with the glove, and the less said about Brhayan Campos the better.

Two guys are out there that might be good options you want to backfill for our injured star catcher. Jonah Heim is a decent bat and decent glove, while Jake Rogers is one of the league's best defensive catchers. He's had some solid hitting seasons in the past, but he fell off hard the last two seasons and has been in a slump all year this year. Both of these guys would cost a middling prospect, and both are free agents after the season.

It might be worth a win or two, and it'd be nice to have a defensive replacement if nothing else. But, our prospect pool is draining fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does this game have any way of front-loading or back-loading deals if Salary Caps are introduced? I know flat numbers per season is probably easier to keep track of, but being able to front-load an old dude's deal is a really handy way of keeping yourself cap flexible, while retaining their tradability if they drop off a cliff.