Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Team Approach: Waivers, Trades, and Rule 5.

Skillsets:

1. Hitting

2. Bullpen

3. Depth

4. Speed, Patience

5. Velocity

Tactics: Sabermetrics

Pete should: Scout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Eww Marlins!

Anyway:

Prospects

1. hitting

2. Starting pitching

3. depth

4. speed, patience

5. Pick one: velocity

What is Pete's job?
3. Scouting Director

And finally, we contacted the Twins about Cube Catcher. They want our best player, Sandy Alcantara, plus a good prospect for Da Cube.

VOTE

Too much for Cube Catcher? Or is he worth any price?

Offer them Martin Prado, and see if they would want an additional player if they refuse. If the price is too high, back out.

OOTP isn’t real life so Prado would be useful in less than 18 games a year anyway. If you can’t trade him for Cube Catcher, see if you can ship him out for prospect filler.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Proposal: If morale is modeled in ootp then we offer Curtis Granderson an extension any time it comes up. If it isn't then w/e

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Team Approach: Build through prospects

Skillsets:
1. Hitting
2. Starters
3. Depth
4. Power, Patience
5. Control

Tactics: Sabermetrics OBP time

Pete should: Scout and then scout some more.

Dinger Statue status : Bring it back

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Team Approach: Waivers, Trades, and Rule 5. Team will be an Island of Misfit Toys

Skillsets:

1. Hitting
2. Starting Pitchers
3. Depth
4. Speed, Patience
5. control

Tactics: Sabermetrics

Pete should: Scout

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I don't have an opinion on any thing else, but I'm curious what it would take to grab some overflow talent from the bigger clubs, like Ian Happ from the Cubs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZeButler posted:

I don't have an opinion on any thing else, but I'm curious what it would take to grab some overflow talent from the bigger clubs, like Ian Happ from the Cubs.

PROPOSAL

See what it would take to rescue Jose Martinez from the Cards

Also

VOTE

-What is our approach to team building?

2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. (With a side of 1 and 3)

-What skillsets do we emphasize?

Several questions here broadly determine how we prioritize different parts of our roster. This of course does not mean that we forgo pitchers if we choose hitting, but it does mean we'll spend more of our limited resources on hitters.

1. Pitching or hitting?

2. Starting pitching, or bullpen? - SEE BELOW PROPOSAL

3. Starters, or depth?

4. Pick two: power, speed, patience, defense

5. Pick one: velocity, control

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

note: this is ultimately up to the manager, but we are the ones who hire the manager

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

PROPOSAL

Build a four man rotation of average to good starters and finish it off with a bullpen of failed starters that can reliably go out and get an inning or twos worth of outs on short or no rest :getin:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 3, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
proposal:

rebuild the dinger machine

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

proposal:

rebuild the dinger machine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Proposal:

The Opener

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A message from ownership:

So, we need to shoot for .500 ball this year. And...find a star player. So much for tanking. Thanks, Jeets.

editors note: these are actual in-game requests

Our TEAM STRATEGY is as follows:

We will use trades, Rule 5, and free agency to pursue cigar butts.

We will focus on hitters.

We will focus on starting pitchers.

We will focus on starters.

We will focus on velocity.

We will focus on patience.

We will focus on defense.

We will focus on sabermetrics.

So our target player types are:

- Hard throwing starters
- Corner IFs and OFs with good OBP
- Elite defensive C/2B/SS/CF

VOTE

We got some trades!

When you first told me to shop Castro, I laughed. But...some decent offers came in. Here are some options:

JD Martinez. He's on a fat contract we can't really afford (4 more years at 23m) and he can't field for poo poo, but god drat is he a good hitter.

Dylan Bundy. He's a talented pitcher in arbitration, but he's never really been...good.

Hector Rondon. He's a solid closer on a cheap contract (1x4.5)

Mike Moustakas. He's a drat good 3B on a very reasonable contract (1x7m, with a mutual 11m option)

Arolis Chapman. He's one of the game's best relievers and is on a reasonable deal (3x15, with a player option next year).

Marcus Stroman. He's a talented pitcher still in arbitration, but coming off an injury.

The Cardinals are holding on HARD to Jose Martinez. Same with Ian Happ.

The best we can do for Willians Astudillo is Sandy Alcantara plus either Brian Anderson (our decent young 3B), Sixto Sanchez (our one good prospect), or Drew Steckenrider (our closer). After watching him rip up the Royals today, I say we do it.

You gotta get rid of Wei-Yin Chen. God help you kid, but I found a buyer that isn't the likes of Chris Davis or Jason Heyward. The Dodgers will send us Hyun-jin Ryu if we hold onto 25% of Chen's salary. We'll lose about $3m this year, but will gain a lot of salary space the next two years.

A few cigar butt players for you to consider, these guys are all within striking distance:

Matt Adams is a big-bat (think 270/330/500) 30 year old 1B with a decent glove, on a cheap contract. He has an opt-out after this year, but we could potentially extend him.

Ben Gamel is a glove-first LF in arbitration with great OBP stats. Think peak Alex Gordon without the power: 280/350/450.

Max Kepler is a large German with a plus glove in RF and 260/350/480 potential. Only problem there is he's already been extended, though it isn't bad: 44 mil over the next 6 years with a team option in the last season.

Lucas Sims is a AA pitcher with a 94 mph heater and a Barry Zito quality curve. If we can get him under control, he could be a star. As it stands, he'd be in our rotation. He's available more or less for free.

Finally do we want to go after any Free Agents?

Dallas Keuchel is probably outside of our price range, but Craig Kimbrel might be a possibility. We also have Ryan Madson hanging around, he's almost certainly worth a shot. Finally, Logan Morrison should be inexpensive, and is a definite 30 home run threat.

We have about $16m to play with. $13 if we fire on that Chen trade (we should).

NOW...VOTE

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 4, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

So, we need to shoot for .500 ball this year. And...find a star player. So much for tanking. Thanks, Jeets.

VOTE

JD Martinez. He's on a fat contract we can't really afford (4 more years at 23m) and he can't field for poo poo, but god drat is he a good hitter.

You gotta get rid of Wei-Yin Chen. God help you kid, but I found a buyer that isn't the likes of Chris Davis or Jason Heyward. The Dodgers will send us Hyun-jin Ryu if we hold onto 25% of Chen's salary. We'll lose about $3m this year, but will gain a lot of salary space the next two years.

Matt Adams is a big-bat (think 270/330/500) 30 year old 1B with a decent glove, on a cheap contract. He has an opt-out after this year, but we could potentially extend him.

Lucas Sims is a AA pitcher with a 94 mph heater and a Barry Zito quality curve. If we can get him under control, he could be a star. As it stands, he'd be in our rotation. He's available more or less for free.

We have about $16m to play with. $13 if we fire on that Chen trade (we should).

NOW...VOTE

Do these. Martinez solves the star request. I'd love to nab Kepler too but with the JD contract we probably won't be able to afford him.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Three more very interesting trade possibilities:

Ryan McMahon. He's a 24 year old 1B who fuckin' clubbed the ball in the minors. I see him having 280/350/500 potential with a decent glove.

and two guys who probably don't need any introduction:

Byron Buxton and Greg Bird.

Of all these trade chips, we can swing 3, maybe 4.

edit - not to sway anyone, but McMahon looks like a monster to me. No idea why the Rockies are looking to offload.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 4, 2019

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Moose and Lucas Sims seem like reasonable places to start. Definitely pull the trigger on that Ryu trade.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Get McMahon and Martinez - M&M in Miami

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Castro for JD Martinez, Jeets wants his star hitter he'll get him.

Alcantara and Steckenrider for Cube Catcher, we'll find another closer.

Chen for Ryu, if OOTP is simulating even remotely accurately Ryu is good and will give us a solid year of production which might help us hit that .500 mark.

Get Sims.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OK well obviously I have to vote for Buxton

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

kensei posted:

Get McMahon and Martinez - M&M in Miami
I like this idea.

Also yeah, do the Ryu trade.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kepler, Buxton, and Ryu seem like no-brainers. I'd like Martinez but if we're focusing on defense that seems like a rough Get for a team without a DH. Especially if we can pick up Astudillo who could literally play anywhere competently, and doubly so if we get one Michael "Mike" "Moose" Moustakas on a much better deal for 3B.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I find it hard to believe that the Red Sox are willing to trade Martinez after the year he just had. Is this one of those things where because he's technically a Right Fielder the Sox want to trade him because they already have Mookie?

The Show does the same thing and it's so annoying.

Anyway let's try to get Moose because he's cheap and good.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
bring in the Moose

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Moose, Ryu, and McMahon seem good, sure.

For those curious, just how hard are the Cards and Cubs holding onto those guys?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZeButler posted:

For those curious, just how hard are the Cards and Cubs holding onto those guys?

Hard. Like, we literally don't have the assets to make an offer hard.

This is the crazy thing about the Marlins - we have nothing. Our best prospect is a 2.5 star SP with middling stuff. We have a couple of young-ish guys who would be bench players on most teams, and we have a bunch of replacement-level vets.

Looking back, the Padres last year were almost an inevitability...we just had to wait for that farm system to marinate, and not trade away any of the good young players. This is a totally different problem set.

AT LEAST WE HAVE THE #4 PICK IN THE DRAFT THOUGH AM I RIGHT

(it looks like a solid draft irl, but I'm not sure what the game will put out)

Also, re Cube Catcher: he ain't no gimmick. Dude can hit the ball, and is a solid defensive catcher, plus can play mediocre 3B and COF. Catcher is our worst position, so he should be a solid upgrade, and he could easily end up an all star. Pete projects him at around a 310/330/450 kind of guy, which is great production from C. He's also said to be pretty durable, so there's every chance he puts up a solid season as an everyday catcher. Went ahead and fired on the Alcantara plus Anderson deal, with a plan to backfill 3B with Moose.

I tried to make the deal for JD Martinez, but we couldn't make the money work (I think the Sox are trying to offload salary in order to extend Mookie).

Now going after Moose, McMahon, and Buxton, and of course, the Ryu deal for the sake of getting Chen off our books. I *think* we'll be able to bring all four guys in with our pitiful available assets, without losing either our *prospect* or any important roster players.

If we have leftover salary, I propose we pursue Craig Kimbrel until he prices us out, and for sure try to bring in Ryan Madson to our otherwise ugly bullpen.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Are there any free agent minor league gems available to help build the system? They may want those deals where they want to be on a major league roster after 30 days or else they go back into free agency, though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Armitage posted:

Are there any free agent minor league gems available to help build the system? They may want those deals where they want to be on a major league roster after 30 days or else they go back into free agency, though.

The experience I had with those kind of guys in OOTP is that they would rather sit unsigned for several years than take a flyer on making a team. The vets in OOTP tend to really overvalue themselves, especially when your scout isn't real big on them.

That's not to say it can't work out, but a lot of those guys marinate for a reason.

I think bewbies usually has a pretty good eye on the free agent market, though. I'm sure we'll see if anyone interesting pops up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Armitage posted:

I got ol' Pete taking a look at a dozen or so guys. The market doesn't look great but sometimes you get lucky, and let's be honest, the bar for "Marlins player" is pretty low as it stands.

Also, if you're interested, here's the 2019 draft class irl. I'm guessing most of these guys will be in our draft. We're picking #4. It would be awesome if Bobby Witt Jr fell to us, otherwise, I feel like Jung is probably our man.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 Season

We're predicted to win 67 games. Indians/Red Sox/Astors are the favorites out of the AL, Cardinals are the favorites out of the NL.

24th ranked system.

Top 5 prospects:
Vlad Jr
FTJ
Forrest Whitley
Nick Senzel
Eloy Jimenez

Trades

Sandy Alcantara and Drew Steckenrider for Willians Astudillo
Wei-Yin Chen (R:25%) for Hyun-jin Ryu
Lazaro Alonso (nothing 1B prospect) and Brain W. Anderson (good young 3B) for Mike Moustakas
Victor Mesa and Tanner Andrews (middling RP prospect) for Ryan McMahon
Starlin Castro (R:100%) and Luis Fernando Palacios (nothing SP prospect) for Byron Buxton and Erick Rivera (good looking 18 year old COF)

Madson wanted nothing to do with us.

Kimbrel and Keuchel still unsigned. We could potentially make an offer on Kimbrel. Yay or nay?

Jose Bautista is out there as well...he may be an upgrade from Brinson. Yay or nay?

We have offers in for Jake Lamb (a decent SP coming off injury) and Andy Beltre, a decent looking RP.

Pitchers
Hyun-jin Ryu
Jeff Brigham
Jose Urena
Pablo Lopez
Nick Neidert

Trevor Richards
Adam Conley
Brian Moran
Jimmy Herget
Nick Anderson
Austin Brice
Sergio Romo (CL)

Lineup
Byron Buxton - CF
Curtis Granderson - RF
Willians Astudillo - C
Ryan McMahon - 1B
Mike Moustakas - 3B
Neil Walker - 2B
Lewis Brinson - LF
JT Riddle - SS

So...this is a staff of all 3/4/5 starters, a bullpen with no dominant players, but also no trainwrecks, and a decent top half of the lineup. Our big holes are the COF positions and the MIF positions, clearly.

Will sim and upload first half of the year soon. Draft will be in the interim.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 5, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Are there any former MVPs in the free agent market?

A guy like Ryan Howard might satisfy the "Star Hitter" requirement.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Make an offer on Kimbrel just to see what his price is. I don't think a closer is going to do us much good but it can't possibly make us worse, so...

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Artix posted:

Make an offer on Kimbrel just to see what his price is. I don't think a closer is going to do us much good but it can't possibly make us worse, so...

Plus we can just trade him at the deadline.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is it possible to see how hard we can lowball Keuchel? Or is he asking more than we can offer?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Gotta grab Joey Bats.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Artix posted:

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Plus we can just trade him at the deadline.

:yeah:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always find these OOTP threads tough, because inevitably we will win because we're inherently more capable of building a roster and projecting long term than the AI is.

So I'm torn between "efficient" and "for the lulz Joey Bats"

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Get Max Kepler.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

algebra testes posted:

Gotta grab Joey Bats.

Flip the script, get Joey Bats

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back Ichiro (actually don't)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Hell, Joey Bats is a name known player, would that satisfy Jeets?

Also lol we are never gonna get Vlad Jr

Artix posted:

Agreed. I don't think it'll hurt to ask

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

bewbies posted:

Trades
We have offers in for Jake Lamb (a decent SP coming off injury) and Andy Beltre, a decent looking RP.

Do you mean John Lamb? Jake Lamb is a 3B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Do you mean John Lamb? Jake Lamb is a 3B

This is correct, my bad.

So we had an eventful first week.

We signed Joey Bats and John Lamb.

Kimbrel went to LAD (3/45) and Keuchel went to STL (1/19). We never really had a chance.

Ryu's elbow blew up on his second batter of the season.

Draft to come later today. The draft class is good. This is a BIG DECISION....franchise cornerstone time!