Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

drat it Ryu! We just traded for you, too!

EDIT: Important information at the bottom of last page.

What a loving terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was under the impression that we were always trading for Ryu to clear future cap space so it's whatever. Nobody should have expected him to not miss significant time due to injury anyways.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah Ryu is definitely replaceable, but it is still pretty Marlins to have your opening day starter blow his elbow on the 2nd batter of the season (after having given up a hit to the first).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What do we even have AAA-wise in starters we could call up? Or are there any washup free agents we can snag on a minor league deal?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You traded Starlin Castro???

What the hell?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 MLB Draft

We're drafting 4th. This is a huge pick for our franchise. uge.

Bobby Witt Jr was who I wanted. Orioles got him to be their next Cal Ripken Jr.

Here's who we have available:

Daniel Cerda. 19 y/o 2B/SS. OBP monster: 65 contact tool, 75 eye tool, 60 power tool, though I'm a bit skeptical of this at 5'10", 150 lbs. Decent glove, probably better at 2B in MLB. Good mental makeup, but money-hungry. Probably a 3 year timeline to MLB.

Mahki Backstrom. 17 y/o, pure 1B/DH. Best hitter in this draft class: 70 contact, 75 power, but will need to develop his eye. Good mental makeup. Very advanced for a 17 year old but still at least 3-4 years out.

Corbin Carroll. Slightly undersized CF prospect, but elite 5 tool player. 60 contact, 50 power, 55 eye, with an excellent glove and excellent speed. Probably a 4 year project. Great mental makeup.

Rece Hinds. Huge power bat, plus 3B defensively. 3 outcomes type guy. Great mental makeup. Long way to go developmentally, 4-5 year project.

Matt Wallner. Huge power bat and elite arm in RF...so elite, he's also a decent RP. Best college hitter in the draft, but doesn't have the ceiling of the younger guys. 1-2 year project. 45 contact tool, 65 power, 65 eye, decent glove in RF or LF. editor's note: this guy was a hall of famer for the Padres in our previous game, but that doesn't usually carry over year to year.

VOTE

Give your #1 choice and #2 choice. Pete's recommendation is Cerda. I vote Backstrom and then Carroll, which I do not do lightly...I usually go with whatever Pete says, but we have a lot of very solid choices here.

edit - on further review, I change my vote to Cerda and then Carroll.

note: you can google all these guys. I love doing this.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 5, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

You traded Starlin Castro???

What the hell?

And I'm the one who suggested it :getin:

bewbies posted:

2019 MLB Draft

Backstrom then Hinds

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

#1 Backstrom
#2 Cerda

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
1 - Backstrom
2 - Cerda

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Changing my vote to Cerda then Carroll. Who needs a DH in the NL, right?

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 5, 2019

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Cerda and then Carroll.

Remember folks that the Marlins are in the National League. An elite DH really doesn't help us, and serviceable 1B types are a dime a dozen. Middle infielders and centerfielders on the other hand are harder to find/sign.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sure, but on the other hand we could have the 3-4 hole hitters be the dual absolute units Astudillo and Backstrom.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cerda

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I like Carroll then Hinds but if these are project guys we're gonna want to replace Joey Bats when we have the opportunity so let's make that opportunity with Carroll then Wallner.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
1. Cerda

2. Backstrom

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hinds
Backstrom

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
1) Cerda
2) Carroll

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Cerda

Carroll

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cerda
Backstrom

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This draft looks pretty goddamn solid to me.

1(4): Daniel Cerda. He has the look of a franchise cornerstone to me, a Robbie Alomar type minus the spitting.
1(35): Spencer Jones. He's listed as a SP, and he has a 93 mph heater with a plus curve and a plus change. What's more interesting, is Pete has his contact/power/eye at 70/70/60. That is...elite. Do we put him in the system as a SP, or as a RF/1B?
2(55): Brett Baty, a big 3B with a monster bat. Would've probably been a first rounder, but he wants a big bonus. Luckily, our first round picks are cheap.
3(82): Austin Bernger, a college pitcher (22) with a 93 mph heater and four plus pitches, including an 80 curveball. I'm honestly not sure why he was down this low, but Pete is super high on him.
4(112): Carter Rustad, a HS SP. The main reason I drafted him is I was in the army with his dad, which 1) is cool and 2) makes me feel very old. He has a 92 mph heater and an 80 curveball, and a lot of room to grow.

A few questions about these guys:

Do we want to put Cerda in as a 2B or SS? He could do both. He'll probably be slightly worse as a SS, but is obviously more valuable there.
Do we put in Jones as a SP or a 1B/OF? Or...as a 2 way player? I honestly do not know how that affects development. He has the look of a star hitter, and a decent SP.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, we've just been notified that our team hates Neil Walker. He's basically a replacement level 2B. Do we want to try and trade him? It is unlikely we can land a better player, but the team morale might improve.

We could potentially call up Isan Diaz, who is a bat-first 2B with a lot of power. He...might be alright.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Two way player!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

IcePhoenix posted:

Two way player!

This

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You can't not make him a two-way player.

E: Also yeah, see what Walker might bring back. If it doesn't require us to literally pay someone else to take him off our hands, could be worthwhile.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Of course you make him a 2 way player. Also, make Cerda a 2B. Finally, trade or just outright release Walker.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sent off Neil Walker for Denard Span, for reasons that will become clear shortly.

Also this Spencer kid is loving something.. I don't know how he fell to 35, but...I'll take it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
DENARD SPAN

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005

Fully on board with the Span Plan

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We had something kind of cool happen during the international signing window.

There were a bunch of mildly interesting prospects, as there usually are. Most want way more money than they're likely to be worth.

Pete came back with a 19 year old kid out of Mexico: Esteban Ochoa. He's a straight 5 star prospect, which you almost NEVER see in the IFA window. Pete has him at 70/75/75. He's not much defensively (his arm is lol bad...like, 25 bad) but he has Frank Thomas bat potential at 1B.

We immediately offered him the $5m max bonus, even though he only wanted $1.2m. We are not loving around with this kid. Should we go ahead and bring him into the system? He's older, by IFA standards, so there isn't much reason to wait.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Pull the trigger. He's 1B, he doesn't have to be a defensive wizard, he just has to clobber the poo poo out of baseballs and by god it looks like he can do that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah don't gently caress around bring him in.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I welcome our new young star to the majors with a gift basket containing bats.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I love our strategy so far. We've got Spencer Jones as a two way player, and we offered a 19 year old kid from Mexico 3.8 million more than he wanted and we're gonna just drop him straight into the team.

I approve, because it's not like playing it safe is gonna get any results.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I want Mexican Frank Thomas.
El Gran Dolor.
Assign him number 35.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Saladin Rising posted:

I don’t think Jeets wants us to play safe

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Saladin Rising posted:

I love our strategy so far. We've got Spencer Jones as a two way player, and we offered a 19 year old kid from Mexico 3.8 million more than he wanted and we're gonna just drop him straight into the team.

To be clear: he is definitely not ML ready - I meant bring him over from Mexico and throw him into the system.

That said...he could potentially be ready a year from now.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

bewbies posted:

To be clear: he is definitely not ML ready - I meant bring him over from Mexico and throw him into the system.

That said...he could potentially be ready a year from now.
Ah, okay that makes sense.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 All Star Break

34-54, .386, 5th Place, NL East

Its the Juan Soto and Bryce Harper show. But they're on different teams now.

The NL East looks like a nightmare for the forseeable future.

Our defense has been great, and our SPs have been decent. Offense is mostly a black hole, though.

Bautista was loving brilliant for the first 47 games. 244/377/865, with 1.4 WAR. Then, his knee exploded. That's probably his career, and also why we needed Denard Span.

Buxton was red hot at the start, but needless to say, cooled down (81 OPS+ and 0.7 WAR after 63 GP) and is now on the DL after two previous minor injuries.

Cube started VERY slow, but turned it on big time the last 6 weeks. He's right about where he should be and has been great.

McMahon has been...underwhelming. We may have been had there.

Whoever JT Riddle is has been great.

Lucas Sims was the callup for Ryu, and has been rock solid. Pablo Lopez has been even better. They may be the basis for something good in the rotation going forward.

VOTE

We have some decisions to make regarding extensions. Who, of these guys, do we want to make offers to?

Ryu (lol)
Prado (lol)
Moustakas - he has an opt-out. Asking 8/112.
Denard Span - asking 1/1.6
Sergio Romo - not interested
Curtis Granderson - not interested
Jose Bautista :(

Note: I am having some issues with my web hosting at the moment, so no upload. Have some pics instead:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Drunk Canuck posted:

I want Mexican Frank Thomas.
El Gran Dolor.
Assign him number 35.

I love this, and done.

He's OPS+ing 305 in rookie ball over his first couple weeks.

If anyone has any number or nickname suggestions for any of our other guys POST THEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I say we make offers to Mouse and Span.