Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We got a couple of real interesting offers on Mike Moustakas, kid.

First is Max Kepler. Twins know we're interested. He's not having a great year this year, but I think he's a 260/350/500 guy, with a good glove in right. He's also on a reasonable contract for the next several y4ears.

Next is Jaime Callahan. I think he's gonna be the league's next great reliever. Fastball/cutter guy, with killer stuff. No idea why the Mets gave up on this kid, but he's been lights out this year...better than his 2.95 ERA suggests. I'm not kidding when I compare him to Rivera. Best news: he's a rookie this year.

Let me know if you're interested. We got a couple of replacement-level 3Bs on the roster now, so no need to backfill for Moose if he goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Yeah, I’d extend Span and move Moustakas, leaning towards Kepler.

Prado is OPSing .594, I wonder if he’s doing the thing where he OPSes Bonds level against the Mets and sucks poo poo against everyone else :v:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Moust for Kepler hot drat get that done.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Get Kepler

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
DENARD SPAN

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Get Callahan and nickname him Dirty Jaime

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moose for Kepler is a DONE DEAL.

We discussed things with the Giants, and they'll take John Lamb for Dirty Jaime Callahan. That's a no brainer, right?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Moose for Kepler is a DONE DEAL.

We discussed things with the Giants, and they'll take John Lamb for Dirty Jaime Callahan. That's a no brainer, right?

If Pete says he's good, he's good.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

That is a hell yeah no-brainer.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pete found some gems in the Twins system that they were curiously ready to give up.

We give:
Moustakas
Demetrius Sims: nothing 2B prospect
Jared Barnes: Not terrible C prospect
Brett Lilek: nothing SP prospect

FOR

Kepler
Jorge Alcala: 23 year old RHP with 99 mph heater and a plus slider. He's a bit behind the curve developmentally (23 in high A) but his potential is huge.
Nick Gordon: 23 year old glove-first SS/2B. Is probably a ML backup now, has some potential for growth.
Brent Rooker: 24 y/o 1B/LF with huge power: hitting very well (.786 OPS with 16 HRs) in AAA this year.

Alcala is intriguing. If he figures out his control he's a 1/2 starter for sure. Barnes is a loss, but we're set at C for the forseeable future.

Of note: it looks like Mattingly is using an OPENER occasionally. Mainly when Trevor Richards pitches. Interesting....

Lineup is now:
Buxton CF
Span LF
Astudillo C
McMachon 1B
Kepler RF
Riddle SS
Prado 3B
Gordon 2B

LETS GO SECOND HALF

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 6, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gordon is probably expendable through the ootp logic because of Schoop, Polanco, and Lewis

Also I approve of you righting the wrong of not making the Twins an option by just trading for all of them instead. Literally half of our starting lineup were Twins at the start of the year :lol:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Gordon is probably expendable through the ootp logic because of Schoop, Polanco, and Lewis

Also I approve of you righting the wrong of not making the Twins an option by just trading for all of them instead. Literally half of our starting lineup were Twins at the start of the year :lol:

Plus Span!

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I may have no idea what is going on, or what any of the terms mean, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited about making the Marlins a viable team. I never followed baseball closely, but for most of my life it seems they try to find talent and then sell it off as quickly as possible.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Damanation posted:

I may have no idea what is going on, or what any of the terms mean, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited about making the Marlins a viable team. I never followed baseball closely, but for most of my life it seems they try to find talent and then sell it off as quickly as possible.

This is a really good history/explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOtndaStzo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Mouse for Kepler plz

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
lol Nick Gordon. I want to see how he turns out. I know some development is random. In a OOTP 19 save I am playing he turned into a HOF SS/2B. Never hit more then 5 HR in a year and still has a career OPS over 1.000

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

IcePhoenix posted:

Jeets just told us to make a winning team, he never said how we had to do it.:v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 MLB Season

73-89, .451, 5th place, NL East

Cleveland wins the World Series over the Mets in 5.

The league expands: Welcome the San Antonio Elephants and the Memphis Brown Bears. There is an expansion draft the day after free agency starts; we shouldn't have any issue with the protection list because we're all either young or bad.

We got ripped apart by injuries the second half: Pablo Lopez, our all star, went down with a rotator cuff...which puts his career in jeopardy. Jaime Callahan had some shoulder problems, but looks to be back on track.

Our hitters were bad this year, no two ways about it. We got decent performances out of Brinson, Riddle, and Astudillo. The rest of the roster was....bad, especially our most promising acquisitions, Buxton, Kepler, and McMahon. We aren't going to win with those guys OPsing in the 600s. That DEFENSE though....

On the plus side, we got some excellent pitching performances, especially in the second half. Lucas Sims looks like a potential star, as did Pablo Lopez, before his shoulder blew up. Our bullpen looks like it might even be GOOD next year, depending on how Julian Fernandez and Riley Ferrell develop, but we definitely need to add at least one lefty.

Offseason Decisions

Arbitration and free agents
Adam Conley
Jose Urena
Bryan Holaday
Miguel Rojas
JT Riddle
Byron Buxton

I think Holaday can go, and I don't think Urena, Rojas, or Conley are worth 3.6m, 3.6m, or 1.3m respectively.

Qualify or extend any of the following:
Jose Bautista
Martin Prado
Sergio Romo
Hyun-jin Ryu

No QO's obviously. Prado wants 1.6m for 1 year, and was decent last year. I'd consider this. Bats also wants 1.6m, but I'm hesitant about a 39 year old coming off a knee explosion.

Span won't resign with us. Granderson retired.

Coaching

We have some big decisions to make here.

Don Mattingly, manager. He's on a fairly small contract (978k) through 2022. I think he's a solid manager, who did alright with a bad roster. There are some interesting possibilities out there though, including John Farrell, Joe Girardi, Mike Matheny, Mike Scioscia, Ned Yost, and John Gibbons. Matheny is the only saber-focused high profile manager...and he might be a good fit for this team.

Our hitting coach sucked anyway, and we need to find a new one. There aren't any high profile free agent hitting coaches, and we don't have any interesting prospects in the system. So, this is kind of a shot-in-the dark. The most interesting guy to me is Frank Menechino, who is a younger guy that put up a good season in A ball last year.

I think our pitching goach, Mel Stottlemyer Jr, did great.

We also need to decide on our team trainer: his focus is prevention, and he specializes in arm injuries...but we had a TON of major arm problems this year. Bad luck, or was he the problem? He's making $212k through 2022, and there are numerous other candidates available.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 7, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Matheny. Unfortunately. We're built in a way that a conventional manager will probably screw us. Worse.

Also, see what Romo wants. I think we could probably give Ryu a show-me deal since he exploded in game 1.

As for trainer... I dunno. I think I'd rather have a recovery-focused guy, but it's such a weird crap shoot in this game. It seems like whatever you pick never seems to matter because suddenly everyone goes down with something else.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What can we get for Astudillo?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

algebra testes posted:

I don't think this is the thread for you

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

Actually...good stuff.

Correa, Corey Seager, and Benintendi were the best that came back. I'm kinda tempted by Benintendi....

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Mike Matheny is a terrible manager let's not go for him. We're gonna be bad anyway I just say stick with Donnie Baseball for now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We'll stick with Don for at least next season. Hopefully we'll give him more to use.

We hired Frank Menechino as our hitting coach. I have high hopes for this guy.

Cube Catcher won rookie of the year and silver slugger.

The bad news is this isn't a .500 team right now.

The good news is that we have $51 million available for salary. I also bumped up our scouting and development budgets to the league average...we were seriously underfunding them both last season.

This is also a solid free agent class.

Gerrit Cole is a very good #1 starter. He also wants to be the best paid player in the game. I don't think he's worth anywhere near 7/275.

Kikuji Hamamura should be our number one target. He's a no-glove 1B, but he's one of the best pure hitters on the planet - Pete thinks he has 300/400/600 potential. Plus, he's only 26, and is seeking 8/168.

Anthony Rendon is one of the better hitting 3Bs over the last several years, but is coming off what was apparently one of the worst hamstring pulls of all time. I think he's a steal at 5/71, but he is a compensation player with a significant injury history. At that price though....

Yasiel Puig is elite, but isn't worth $26m a year in my opinion.

Hee-Gon "Meal Ticket" Im is a Korean import. His repertoire is...weird. Fastball/cutter/change/circle change, but he's got a 96 mph heater and excellent control He's 30, and wants 8/129. I think he is an ideal target for us to improve the staff.

Other FAs of note include JD Martinez, Mike Moustakas, Alex Wood, Didi Gregorious, Scooter Gennett, Josh Donaldson, Khris Davis, Xander Bogaerts, and Yasmani Grandal.

I see our major holes as SP, 1B, possibly COF, and 3B.

Who do we target with our $50 million???

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Can we swing Rendon, Im, and Khris "247" Davis?

Cole is always a good pickup but not at that money.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Would Xander add anything at SS? Glove or bat?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

Can we swing Rendon, Im, and Khris "247" Davis?

Cole is always a good pickup but not at that money.

He hit .253 last year so the universe might be in danger.

He wants 8/160, which we could afford, but he's a minus glove in left and turns 32 in a few days. That contract could get ugly, but we could probably squeeze it in.

algebra testes posted:

Would Xander add anything at SS? Glove or bat?

He'd be an upgrade offensively, but we've got a couple of good young SSs and I'd be very wary of his declining numbers the last few years. He wants 9/126, which too could get ugly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah okay gently caress that.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

We should get Hamamura and then just focus on depth.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh yeah I somehow left Hamamura out. He seems like a good deal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rendon and Hamamura should lock up a relatively competitive IF, particularly when some of our SS guys prospects start being ready.

What does Alex Wood want? He's not an ace but he seems like a steady MOR guy we could get relatively cheap to sure up the rotation.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Let's just sign all the international guys

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Rendon and Hamamura should lock up a relatively competitive IF, particularly when some of our SS guys prospects start being ready.

What does Alex Wood want? He's not an ace but he seems like a steady MOR guy we could get relatively cheap to sure up the rotation.

Woody wants 5/68. Im might be out of our price range now...he's a solid fall back guy.

Cool news: Pete responded to us increasing his scouting budget by finding a 65/70/60 16 year old 1B in the Dominican. ...nice

Cole went to the Cubbies for 4/135, with an opt out after 2. What a weird contract.

Update: Rendon has priced us out, he got a $20m+ a year offer. Josh Donaldson is available though. He's still an average 3B glove, and could be a 250/350/500 player. We could bring him in for....$16m a year for 3 years, with a club option...?

edit - never mind, we're price out of that too.

Mike Moustakas, again?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 8, 2019

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Josh Donaldson is solid, go for it.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I’ll be fine with Hamamura and ”Meal Ticket” Im

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Woody wants 5/68. Im might be out of our price range now...he's a solid fall back guy.

Cool news: Pete responded to us increasing his scouting budget by finding a 65/70/60 16 year old 1B in the Dominican. ...nice

What I'm seeing here is that my idea for a strategy is correct

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's us:

Here's all the free agents

We did land Hamamura on a pretty drat reasonable deal (I think it was 7/147 with a TO in the last season), and he looks like the best FA of the class, so I guess it isn't all bad. Everyone else went elsewhere despite me throwing cash at them. It it hard to get people to play for bad baseball teams in unpleasant cities.

VOTE

So here's what I'm thinking: Ryan McMahon looks like he could play competent 3B. Do we want to give him a look there during ST? He was a disappointment last year, but Pete still thinks there's a quality ballplayer in there. This Rule 5 draft should be decent though, and there's always the late-offseason veteran pickups. Do we want to try and convert McMahon, sign a couple of middling vets, or make a trade for a new 3B?

As for our staff, we definitely need at least one more starting pitcher. Sixto Sanchez might be ready for primetime this season - we'll get a good look at him in the spring. Sims is looking like a quality long term starter also. The FA cupboard is bare but...for some reason, Chris Archer is on the block. He had a great season last year and is on a ridiculously team friendly deal - $9m this year, and an $11m TO next year. We'll have to give up some middling prospects for him, but that seems like a "mash accept" trade to me. Dallas Keuchel is also on the block despite having been signed this week, on a 1 year, $10m deal, and should be very cheap. Do we want to go for one or both of those guys?

We have a bit of a logjam at 1B. Esteban "El Gran Dolor Ochoa is probably going to be worth a ML look this year and may enter the season as a top 5 prospect. With Hamamura locked in long term, do we want to 1) let him ride at 1B, 2) try and convert him to another position, or 3) trade him? His glove and range are good, but his arm is ABYSMAL...so, 2B, or possibly LF might be worth it, maybe. If not, we could probably bring back an elite cost-controlled pitcher in exchange.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Mine the gently caress out of Rule 5

Give McMahon a look

Trade for Archer and Keuchel if we don't give up any top near-ML prospects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Give McMahon a look

Also trade for Archer, and move Esteban for the best we can get, pitching or otherwise.