Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

1. Marlins - I kinda want to see if we can build something out of what is essentially baseball's version of nothing. I see them basically as a logo with a stadium right now.

2. White Sox - Slight homerism despite living a short walk from Wrigley and actually being a Twins fan. Also we all know there's a team waiting in the wings there. Might turn out a lot like last year's Padres team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hey Pete, glad to see you're still kickin' and scouting.

I say Strategy 2: Waivers, Trades, and Rule 5: We don't have prospects and in the time it takes to amass any (beyond trading Castro) would put us out of contention for 5 years and if there's anything ownership hates it's Not Winning Ever. Even Jeets, methinks. OOTP Jeets, anyway. With Pete along for the ride, maybe he'll see things the other scouts don't. I remember he treated us well when it came to weird no-name guys with the Padres. No reason to believe he won't do the same this year.

Focus should be Hitting. Projection is a lot harder with pitching than hitting/fielding. Plus getting good pitching on the secondary market is like pulling teeth. Build a monstrous offense and hope we can score enough just-above-average guys for the rotation that we don't have to worry about being the Cubs.

Starting Pitching. Rather we had dudes we hire to eat innings eat those innings than deal with a constantly overworked bullpen. It just never works out.

Starters. Depth is for losers who get hurt. (Also I don't think we can build a viable deep roster without a seriously large amount of money, and that won't happen without putting butts in seats.)

Power, defense. Hard hit balls and robbing hits.

Control. Walks are bad. Velocity is temporary.

Sabermetrics. Smallball is bullshit. Get dudes who get on base, moved around by other dudes who get on base (and/or clear them.)

Considering all this, our entire coaching staff might be on the outs. We're going to have to rely heavily on Pete and luck, and it's unlikely that we'll be making any free agent splashes basically ever, because that's probably where the pitchers are going to have to come from. I don't expect making any extensions this year unless we have a complete roster overhaul by the end, so that's money we'll be carrying forward.

I have to assume ownership is basically giving us carte blanche at this point, because I find it unlikely that any of these players are going to be fan favorites or ownership darlings considering we have a roster that consists mostly of men who indeed wear Major League Baseball uniforms and that's about it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kepler, Buxton, and Ryu seem like no-brainers. I'd like Martinez but if we're focusing on defense that seems like a rough Get for a team without a DH. Especially if we can pick up Astudillo who could literally play anywhere competently, and doubly so if we get one Michael "Mike" "Moose" Moustakas on a much better deal for 3B.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Armitage posted:

Are there any free agent minor league gems available to help build the system? They may want those deals where they want to be on a major league roster after 30 days or else they go back into free agency, though.

The experience I had with those kind of guys in OOTP is that they would rather sit unsigned for several years than take a flyer on making a team. The vets in OOTP tend to really overvalue themselves, especially when your scout isn't real big on them.

That's not to say it can't work out, but a lot of those guys marinate for a reason.

I think bewbies usually has a pretty good eye on the free agent market, though. I'm sure we'll see if anyone interesting pops up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is it possible to see how hard we can lowball Keuchel? Or is he asking more than we can offer?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Moose for Kepler is a DONE DEAL.

We discussed things with the Giants, and they'll take John Lamb for Dirty Jaime Callahan. That's a no brainer, right?

If Pete says he's good, he's good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Gordon is probably expendable through the ootp logic because of Schoop, Polanco, and Lewis

Also I approve of you righting the wrong of not making the Twins an option by just trading for all of them instead. Literally half of our starting lineup were Twins at the start of the year :lol:

Plus Span!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Damanation posted:

I may have no idea what is going on, or what any of the terms mean, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited about making the Marlins a viable team. I never followed baseball closely, but for most of my life it seems they try to find talent and then sell it off as quickly as possible.

This is a really good history/explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOtndaStzo

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Matheny. Unfortunately. We're built in a way that a conventional manager will probably screw us. Worse.

Also, see what Romo wants. I think we could probably give Ryu a show-me deal since he exploded in game 1.

As for trainer... I dunno. I think I'd rather have a recovery-focused guy, but it's such a weird crap shoot in this game. It seems like whatever you pick never seems to matter because suddenly everyone goes down with something else.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Can we swing Rendon, Im, and Khris "247" Davis?

Cole is always a good pickup but not at that money.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh yeah I somehow left Hamamura out. He seems like a good deal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Losing a Rule 5 pick to injury is like the most depressing thing in the world. "Yes! I got a dude that will slot right into our bullshit org!" "Whoops, his head fell off."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If I remember right, Pete is a literal cheat code. bewbies hosed with his scouting stats. But honestly scouting is such a black box in this game that I'm honestly not sure how much of an edge it actually gives us aside from being able to fleece the league's GMs (sometimes.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'll go with Perez also.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Game log won't load, so I'm assuming Buxton's third time in base was due to Hoskins' error caused by Buxton's superhuman speed.

Also dear God Sims be okay. :ohdear:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ahahaha what the gently caress is even going on

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FLAMINGOS ARE A GO

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

We're gonna die.

Also RIP MLB TV ratings. No one is gonna watch this thing. Joe Buck will come into work already hammered. Ken Rosenthal will try to generate interest by wrestling an alligator on the warning track. Attendance will be so low Jeets will he charging the ushers for being there.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Miz Kriss posted:

We... won the first game?

Handily.

Is it possible that we have created some sort of baseball Anti-Life Equation? Is this the least logical and most destructive entity in the universe?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sanchez has been lights-out for us, right? Like starting him at home has to be a gimme, right?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was just going to say that this is the worst timeline because it vindicates JEETS

Not true. We got returns on our trades.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

algebra testes posted:

Are we even in the conversation with Bauer?

And/or Kluber?

I'm not sure what to do with our outfield situation. I want to believe Grichuk's year was an aberration and that most of the other guys on the FA list are probably just as good for much less. There's definitely no "Yes obviously" names on there for the outfield, so maybe we just watch the block and hope something silly hits Rule 5?

As for buyouts, I'm less concerned about position players as I am Sanchez, Sims, and Pablo Lopez. There's obviously the risk of their arms falling off, but they all project to hit double-digit arb numbers and that makes me nervous. With Sims it's probably worth seeing how his injury recovery goes, but the other two, I dunno. Not enough to really pop a proposal about, but something to think about in the coming year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Are SELLING

Doolittle
Archer
Kepler
Hamamura?

It is...the Marlin way.

I have to admit I am rather attached to Hamamura.

DO NOT

Our goal is to fix this mess, not allow it to continue.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bewbies posted:

Buyout possibilities:

Lucas Sims: 7/126, with TO the last season

Ryan McMahon: 6/60

Nick Gordon: 6/36

Any of these interesting?

Hamamura won Rookie of the Year (at age 27 lol) and Mattingly won manager of the year. Juan Soto won his second straight MVP.

A few VERY interesting international free agents entered the market as well:

Yukihiko "Muscles" Miyamoto is Japan's greatest hitter. Pete thinks he could OPS over a 1.000 in the majors (310/400/650), with 50 HR power. He has a plus plus arm, but a middling glove and range. He wants 9/222 (AAV 24.6mm), but we could...maybe squeeze him down a bit. He's affordable, in any case.

Yukata Okamoto isn't far behind. He looks like a 280/380/550 kind of hitter, with a decent glove in either corner. He's asking 9/128 (AAV 14.2m).

Both of these Japanese sluggers are 28, and are lefties.

It is a golden age of Japanese power hitters.

Gordon seems like it might be a good one, but I really feel like we'd be massively overpaying the other two.

I wouldn't be upset with Okamoto. We could probably make a bid for Miyamoto, but that's pretty spendy even if we manage to lowball him some. I mean, those numbers are certainly worth superstar money, but I don't think we have it... do we?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have a question.

Last time around, we built a fuckin juggernaut and had like four HOF players come out of our system, but we stopped the sim when the hard decisions about free agency of the core came up. Any chance of us continuing on and trying for a legit multi-decade dynasty?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If Jordan ends up being half the hitter he was for the Dads he's going to be generational.

Hopefully our second half is as smooth as the first. :ohdear:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Goddamn I hope we get a budget increase. And the FA class looks good.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

RIDE THE WAVE

One more year.

edit: Execute and trade Doolittle

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fucksticks.

Keep Hamamura unless given specific orders to dump him from Jeets or he turns into a pumpkin. He's too good.

Ademan for Kepler
Siani for Gordon

These two I think effectively cancel each other out.

Contreras for Astudillo. Gonna miss the Cube Bat, but that salary is just gonna balloon further.

I think you missed McMahon, and I'm not particularly attached to him, so get what we can there and call it good. (Especially if you can get India for him.)

Troll the Rule 5 as per usual.

Hopefully our minors guys can get some looks this year and maybe next year we can let Sims go. I'm pretty worried about his arm given he's been knocked out of 2/3 postseason games he's started.

:sigh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Spencer "Orlando" Jones. Because he's in Miami. This is a clever joke.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I feel like we have to attempt to lock up Cerda and Sanchez for sure and at least inquiring on Jones.

Buxton could be a fair signing, but I think we could possibly replace him with someone with a better bat and similar fielding ability by this point for less. Big question here of course, because I don't know how his defense or speed look at this point. Ochoa is weird because he absolutely destroys baseballs but apparently that's it. Homers or back to the dugout. I guess we see how arb works out.

Short term I say we shore up the bullpen. I don't think they're going to keep us from the playoffs, but having better arms will help us get further in said playoffs.

Also someone give the ol' Tortuga a nudge or something. He has a rep to uphold.

edit: I can't imagine what some of those bullpen guys are gonna want in arb and relievers are such a weird market. Washing my hands of that decision process.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I, too, cast a vote for bringing the RAIN. Also keep CK.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

What happened to Trout? Did his head fall off? 95 games?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So long as Jeets doesn't require us to dump him right away I say go for it. We're still relatively cheap for a couple years yet. I'm sure we can make the space.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sydin posted:

Man Cube Catcher has really fallen off a cliff. :smith:

He didn't come up until he was 26, which isn't terribly late, but he's a big guy and eventually playing hard is gonna catch up. I do kinda wish he'd have managed another year or two of eliteness, but ah well. I think he's a free agent after this year? Next? I don't remember our arb schedule.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

get my boy Tim Bogar as manager

and i hate to say this but we gotta trade :goleft: and poo poo let's also get rid of Kimbrel

I'm on board with this. Kimbrel's failure cannot be tolerated. (Also dear god I hope we get ANY return on Astudillo.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sutton or Torres for Astudillo

Feltman for Kimbrel, Gilbert if we want to take a chance with his injuries.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have to go with Option B. It hopefully fixes some poo poo for us as the loving Miami Marlins, the weirdest small-market team in a big-market market, as well as helping the players get out from under the thumb of ownership. It will make budgeting and roster construction a nightmare, though. And I'm not a fan of salary caps, but it seems like a necessary evil for us, part of the Evil Empire, in order to give the players some level of control over their own destinies and to keep the Dodgers from loving us over due to TV contracts and the Pirates from loving everyone else as balance tax leeches (since everyone is now a balance leech.)

edit: Hopefully the players kidnapped Jeets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I have no preference but I feel like we should try to lock up Spencer Jones. FRANCHISE.

I also really want to keep Ochoa but I don't know if we can keep that much salary locked up long-term for two guys.

Frick. I don't even know how to think about building a roster anymore. We can't plan for poo poo now. The free agent market is going to go fuckin bonkers.