Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Welcome to Out of the Park Baseball!

Last year's thread.

About the Game

Out of the Park is almost certainly the most detailed and accurate sports management sim (NOT GAME) out there right now. It is made by baseball nerds, for baseball nerds, with all of the absurd detail level you'd expect from a team of computer programmers who love baseball. Note: if you love baseball, or management-style games, or both, you should give it a try.

In this thread base ball goons will manage a fake Major League Baseball team through the POWER OF DEMOCRACY. Last year, this worked out great: either myself, another poster, our our super scout Pete Ward proposed a course of action, we'd all vote on it, and put it into play. Baseball goons in general are smart and well informed about the sport and made consistently good decisions, with a few...bad ones thrown in here and there. A few things to keep in mind:

- We'll vote on a team strategy, so try and keep suggested proposals in-line with what we're trying to do. It doesn't HAVE to be, but strategies are strategies for a reason.

- We are the GM, and only the GM. This means our job is to implement an overall team strategy, hire/fire the manager and coaches, and manage the roster and team finances. Team tactics, like lineups, pitching rotations and so on, are handled by the manager that we hire.

- The game is hard. The trading AI is difficult to the point of obnoxiousness, player performance can vary wildly, and INJURIES after INJURIES. In other words, it is just like real life.

How This Will Work

I'm planning to run the sim three days a week, running two months of the season each time. This means we'll finish roughly a season a week. I'll adjust this if necessary, but this seems about right to me. I will post image updates in this thread, plus upload all of the relevant game files for everyone to browse. League website will be HERE.

Anyone can participate! You all are the GM. All you need to do make a PROPOSAL on something that we should do with our team. If a couple of people support your PROPOSAL, I will do my best to make it happen in-game. To support or reject a PROPOSAL, just quote it, and vote aye or nay. If a PROPOSAL gets a net three votes, I'll try and make it happen.

PROPOSALS can be just about anything. The more specific you are, the more likely I'll be able to make it happen, but it doesn't have to be specific. Some example PROPOSALS:

- Trade for a two to three star LHP with at least a year of team control left
- Trade Lucas Duda for whatever we can get, because he sucks
- Trade Curtis Granderson for Mike Trout, because Mike Trout is better that Curtis Granderson

...and so on

Some of these are easy to do, some are not so easy. If it gets the votes, I'll try and do it.

I will also occasionally call for VOTES. This is when the team requires a decision. Examples of VOTES include things like our team strategy, whether or not we retain a manager, coach or player, who we should target in trades or free agency, or what kind of player we should target in the draft. Example VOTE:

- Do we retain Don Mattingly as manager?

Yay or nay

Miscellaneous Crap

Settings, for OOTP veterans:
- "high/realistic" injury setting
- Trading AI is "hard" and "favor prospects"
- Player development is standard, but aging is slowed to .750
- Standard MLB rules, but "league evolution" is on, so the league will change as time goes on
- Inflation at 2-4% per year

We'll start our tenure at the beginning of the 2019 season.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Miami Marlins are the game's most worst team, possibly ever. They have no money, no farm system, no good players, no fan base, and minimal income. Their #3 hitter is Curtis Granderson, for gently caress's sake. This is hard, but teams have won big in South Florida before. Can we put together a winner with JEETS in the background and no money to speak of?

Projected 2018 Record: 57-105
Team Budget: $110mm
Farm System Ranking: #24

The Los Angeles Angels have a couple of good things going for them: the game's best player in his prime, an electric young two-way player (who is currently injured) and a lot of money. Other than that, their situation looks rough: a couple of albatross contracts, bad pitching all around, and uninspired offense outside of Michael "Mike" Trout. Still, they're looking like a playoff team this year...could we get them over the hump before Mike Trout goes south?

Projected 2018 Record: 93-69
Team Budget: $232mm
Farm System Ranking: #15

The Cincinnati Reds are one of baseball's oldest franchises, but aside from their extraordinary teams of the mid 1970s and a weird world series win in 1990, they've had very little to cheer about throughout their long history. Their lineup is solid, their pitching is uninspiring, but they have a decent farm and a bit of cash to play with. Can we rebuild the BIG RED MACHINE?

Projected 2018 Record: 80-82
Team Budget: $148mm
Farm System Ranking: #8

The Texas Rangers are baseball's definition of mediocrity. Despite this, they have a big and loyal following, and a healthy media market that generates plenty of cash. What they don't have are 1) good players, and 2) a good farm system. Their team is old, expensive, and nothing is left in the cupboard. Can we finally bring a World Series title to DFW?

Projected 2018 Record: 82-80
Team Budget: $150mm
Farm System Ranking: #28

The Chicago White Sox, aside from their baffling 2005 Series win, have been Chicago's "other team" for just about their entire existence. They've had some great players over the years (Frank Thomas) but have never really gathered the following that the Cubs enjoy. Their team this year is smellybad, but they've got an elite farm system, a big market to grow into, and a very healthy contract situation. They won't make the playoffs this year, but watch out for 2021...

Projected 2018 Record: 64-98
Team Budget: $130mm
Farm System Ranking: #3

The Milwaukee Brewers are a team on the decline. Despite having a solid lineup including the reigning MVP and good pitching throughout, some heavy contracts and a lack of funds are hamstringing the franchise right as it looked like they were about to challenge for a series. Do we tear it all down, or do we try and get one more good year out of the vets?

Projected 2018 Record: 76-86
Team Budget: $170mm
Farm System Ranking: #18

VOTE

Give me your #1 and #2 choice about which team we will take over.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 2, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

trade for Astudillo immediately

after what he did last time and his start this year there's no way he's not a part of this plan

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We get a text on our phone.

Welp. Looks like we're now the general manager of the worst baseball team...possibly ever. We have maybe a half dozen actual major leaguers, and not a one that could be called above average. We have exactly one (1) blue chip prospect (Sixto Sanchez), who we shall cling to like a baby koala clings to his mom.

The good news: we have some money available. That...that's about it.

So first things first, we need to decide a few things about how we're going to approach this problem.

VOTE

What is our approach to team building?

This question determines the biggest chunk of our strategy: what is our preferred method of acquiring new players? This isn't meant to be exclusive (ie, we'll still sign free agents even if we're building through prospects), but it does determine how we'll focus our efforts, particularly scouting. PICK ONE, ONLY ONE.

1) Build through prospects. We draft well, hoard our prospects jealously, trade for prospects as much as we can and patiently wait for them to emerge as big leaguers. Note: everyone does this now, so it can be very hard to stockpile prospects and beat other teams in development.

2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. We look for young guys other teams undervalue, who are past the prospect stage, and collect them like cigar butts, seeing if any are the next Max Muncy or Johan Santana . Note: this is, for example, how the A's are doing it these days.

3) Sign undervalued veterans. We wait patiently until late in the winter, and then try and snag veteran free agents who flew under the wire. Cheap deals on quality pros like Mike Moustakas, for example. Could this be the new market inefficiency?

4) Sign star players. We pay the big money to get proven players. Or maybe...one proven player.

What skillsets do we emphasize?

Several questions here broadly determine how we prioritize different parts of our roster. This of course does not mean that we forgo pitchers if we choose hitting, but it does mean we'll spend more of our limited resources on hitters.

1. Pitching or hitting?

2. Starting pitching, or bullpen?

3. Starters, or depth?

4. Pick two: power, speed, patience, defense

5. Pick one: velocity, control

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

note: this is ultimately up to the manager, but we are the ones who hire the manager

1. Smallball. Steals, hit and run, pinch runners, etc.

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

3. Tactical. Shifts and matchups, all day long.

Some info to help you make your decisions:

note: 1.000 is average

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
As we sit down at our desk and try to figure out how on earth this could be a competitive major league team, we hear the heavy thunk of cowboy boots and the jangle of spurs coming slowly down the hallway. We can smell his cigar before he knocks on the open door.

How you been, kid? Looks like you could use some help....

It is our old friend, Pete Ward!

What is Pete's job?
1. Hitting Coach
2. Pitching Coach
3. Scouting Director
4. Trainer

And finally, we contacted the Twins about Cube Catcher. They want our best player, Sandy Alcantara, plus a good prospect for Da Cube.

VOTE

Too much for Cube Catcher? Or is he worth any price?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A message from ownership:

So, we need to shoot for .500 ball this year. And...find a star player. So much for tanking. Thanks, Jeets.

editors note: these are actual in-game requests

Our TEAM STRATEGY is as follows:

We will use trades, Rule 5, and free agency to pursue cigar butts.

We will focus on hitters.

We will focus on starting pitchers.

We will focus on starters.

We will focus on velocity.

We will focus on patience.

We will focus on defense.

We will focus on sabermetrics.

So our target player types are:

- Hard throwing starters
- Corner IFs and OFs with good OBP
- Elite defensive C/2B/SS/CF

VOTE

We got some trades!

When you first told me to shop Castro, I laughed. But...some decent offers came in. Here are some options:

JD Martinez. He's on a fat contract we can't really afford (4 more years at 23m) and he can't field for poo poo, but god drat is he a good hitter.

Dylan Bundy. He's a talented pitcher in arbitration, but he's never really been...good.

Hector Rondon. He's a solid closer on a cheap contract (1x4.5)

Mike Moustakas. He's a drat good 3B on a very reasonable contract (1x7m, with a mutual 11m option)

Arolis Chapman. He's one of the game's best relievers and is on a reasonable deal (3x15, with a player option next year).

Marcus Stroman. He's a talented pitcher still in arbitration, but coming off an injury.

The Cardinals are holding on HARD to Jose Martinez. Same with Ian Happ.

The best we can do for Willians Astudillo is Sandy Alcantara plus either Brian Anderson (our decent young 3B), Sixto Sanchez (our one good prospect), or Drew Steckenrider (our closer). After watching him rip up the Royals today, I say we do it.

You gotta get rid of Wei-Yin Chen. God help you kid, but I found a buyer that isn't the likes of Chris Davis or Jason Heyward. The Dodgers will send us Hyun-jin Ryu if we hold onto 25% of Chen's salary. We'll lose about $3m this year, but will gain a lot of salary space the next two years.

A few cigar butt players for you to consider, these guys are all within striking distance:

Matt Adams is a big-bat (think 270/330/500) 30 year old 1B with a decent glove, on a cheap contract. He has an opt-out after this year, but we could potentially extend him.

Ben Gamel is a glove-first LF in arbitration with great OBP stats. Think peak Alex Gordon without the power: 280/350/450.

Max Kepler is a large German with a plus glove in RF and 260/350/480 potential. Only problem there is he's already been extended, though it isn't bad: 44 mil over the next 6 years with a team option in the last season.

Lucas Sims is a AA pitcher with a 94 mph heater and a Barry Zito quality curve. If we can get him under control, he could be a star. As it stands, he'd be in our rotation. He's available more or less for free.

Finally do we want to go after any Free Agents?

Dallas Keuchel is probably outside of our price range, but Craig Kimbrel might be a possibility. We also have Ryan Madson hanging around, he's almost certainly worth a shot. Finally, Logan Morrison should be inexpensive, and is a definite 30 home run threat.

We have about $16m to play with. $13 if we fire on that Chen trade (we should).

NOW...VOTE

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 4, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Three more very interesting trade possibilities:

Ryan McMahon. He's a 24 year old 1B who fuckin' clubbed the ball in the minors. I see him having 280/350/500 potential with a decent glove.

and two guys who probably don't need any introduction:

Byron Buxton and Greg Bird.

Of all these trade chips, we can swing 3, maybe 4.

edit - not to sway anyone, but McMahon looks like a monster to me. No idea why the Rockies are looking to offload.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 4, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZeButler posted:

For those curious, just how hard are the Cards and Cubs holding onto those guys?

Hard. Like, we literally don't have the assets to make an offer hard.

This is the crazy thing about the Marlins - we have nothing. Our best prospect is a 2.5 star SP with middling stuff. We have a couple of young-ish guys who would be bench players on most teams, and we have a bunch of replacement-level vets.

Looking back, the Padres last year were almost an inevitability...we just had to wait for that farm system to marinate, and not trade away any of the good young players. This is a totally different problem set.

AT LEAST WE HAVE THE #4 PICK IN THE DRAFT THOUGH AM I RIGHT

(it looks like a solid draft irl, but I'm not sure what the game will put out)

Also, re Cube Catcher: he ain't no gimmick. Dude can hit the ball, and is a solid defensive catcher, plus can play mediocre 3B and COF. Catcher is our worst position, so he should be a solid upgrade, and he could easily end up an all star. Pete projects him at around a 310/330/450 kind of guy, which is great production from C. He's also said to be pretty durable, so there's every chance he puts up a solid season as an everyday catcher. Went ahead and fired on the Alcantara plus Anderson deal, with a plan to backfill 3B with Moose.

I tried to make the deal for JD Martinez, but we couldn't make the money work (I think the Sox are trying to offload salary in order to extend Mookie).

Now going after Moose, McMahon, and Buxton, and of course, the Ryu deal for the sake of getting Chen off our books. I *think* we'll be able to bring all four guys in with our pitiful available assets, without losing either our *prospect* or any important roster players.

If we have leftover salary, I propose we pursue Craig Kimbrel until he prices us out, and for sure try to bring in Ryan Madson to our otherwise ugly bullpen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Armitage posted:

Are there any free agent minor league gems available to help build the system? They may want those deals where they want to be on a major league roster after 30 days or else they go back into free agency, though.

I got ol' Pete taking a look at a dozen or so guys. The market doesn't look great but sometimes you get lucky, and let's be honest, the bar for "Marlins player" is pretty low as it stands.

Also, if you're interested, here's the 2019 draft class irl. I'm guessing most of these guys will be in our draft. We're picking #4. It would be awesome if Bobby Witt Jr fell to us, otherwise, I feel like Jung is probably our man.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 Season

We're predicted to win 67 games. Indians/Red Sox/Astors are the favorites out of the AL, Cardinals are the favorites out of the NL.

24th ranked system.

Top 5 prospects:
Vlad Jr
FTJ
Forrest Whitley
Nick Senzel
Eloy Jimenez

Trades

Sandy Alcantara and Drew Steckenrider for Willians Astudillo
Wei-Yin Chen (R:25%) for Hyun-jin Ryu
Lazaro Alonso (nothing 1B prospect) and Brain W. Anderson (good young 3B) for Mike Moustakas
Victor Mesa and Tanner Andrews (middling RP prospect) for Ryan McMahon
Starlin Castro (R:100%) and Luis Fernando Palacios (nothing SP prospect) for Byron Buxton and Erick Rivera (good looking 18 year old COF)

Madson wanted nothing to do with us.

Kimbrel and Keuchel still unsigned. We could potentially make an offer on Kimbrel. Yay or nay?

Jose Bautista is out there as well...he may be an upgrade from Brinson. Yay or nay?

We have offers in for Jake Lamb (a decent SP coming off injury) and Andy Beltre, a decent looking RP.

Pitchers
Hyun-jin Ryu
Jeff Brigham
Jose Urena
Pablo Lopez
Nick Neidert

Trevor Richards
Adam Conley
Brian Moran
Jimmy Herget
Nick Anderson
Austin Brice
Sergio Romo (CL)

Lineup
Byron Buxton - CF
Curtis Granderson - RF
Willians Astudillo - C
Ryan McMahon - 1B
Mike Moustakas - 3B
Neil Walker - 2B
Lewis Brinson - LF
JT Riddle - SS

So...this is a staff of all 3/4/5 starters, a bullpen with no dominant players, but also no trainwrecks, and a decent top half of the lineup. Our big holes are the COF positions and the MIF positions, clearly.

Will sim and upload first half of the year soon. Draft will be in the interim.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 5, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Do you mean John Lamb? Jake Lamb is a 3B

This is correct, my bad.

So we had an eventful first week.

We signed Joey Bats and John Lamb.

Kimbrel went to LAD (3/45) and Keuchel went to STL (1/19). We never really had a chance.

Ryu's elbow blew up on his second batter of the season.

Draft to come later today. The draft class is good. This is a BIG DECISION....franchise cornerstone time!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah Ryu is definitely replaceable, but it is still pretty Marlins to have your opening day starter blow his elbow on the 2nd batter of the season (after having given up a hit to the first).

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 MLB Draft

We're drafting 4th. This is a huge pick for our franchise. uge.

Bobby Witt Jr was who I wanted. Orioles got him to be their next Cal Ripken Jr.

Here's who we have available:

Daniel Cerda. 19 y/o 2B/SS. OBP monster: 65 contact tool, 75 eye tool, 60 power tool, though I'm a bit skeptical of this at 5'10", 150 lbs. Decent glove, probably better at 2B in MLB. Good mental makeup, but money-hungry. Probably a 3 year timeline to MLB.

Mahki Backstrom. 17 y/o, pure 1B/DH. Best hitter in this draft class: 70 contact, 75 power, but will need to develop his eye. Good mental makeup. Very advanced for a 17 year old but still at least 3-4 years out.

Corbin Carroll. Slightly undersized CF prospect, but elite 5 tool player. 60 contact, 50 power, 55 eye, with an excellent glove and excellent speed. Probably a 4 year project. Great mental makeup.

Rece Hinds. Huge power bat, plus 3B defensively. 3 outcomes type guy. Great mental makeup. Long way to go developmentally, 4-5 year project.

Matt Wallner. Huge power bat and elite arm in RF...so elite, he's also a decent RP. Best college hitter in the draft, but doesn't have the ceiling of the younger guys. 1-2 year project. 45 contact tool, 65 power, 65 eye, decent glove in RF or LF. editor's note: this guy was a hall of famer for the Padres in our previous game, but that doesn't usually carry over year to year.

VOTE

Give your #1 choice and #2 choice. Pete's recommendation is Cerda. I vote Backstrom and then Carroll, which I do not do lightly...I usually go with whatever Pete says, but we have a lot of very solid choices here.

edit - on further review, I change my vote to Cerda and then Carroll.

note: you can google all these guys. I love doing this.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 5, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This draft looks pretty goddamn solid to me.

1(4): Daniel Cerda. He has the look of a franchise cornerstone to me, a Robbie Alomar type minus the spitting.
1(35): Spencer Jones. He's listed as a SP, and he has a 93 mph heater with a plus curve and a plus change. What's more interesting, is Pete has his contact/power/eye at 70/70/60. That is...elite. Do we put him in the system as a SP, or as a RF/1B?
2(55): Brett Baty, a big 3B with a monster bat. Would've probably been a first rounder, but he wants a big bonus. Luckily, our first round picks are cheap.
3(82): Austin Bernger, a college pitcher (22) with a 93 mph heater and four plus pitches, including an 80 curveball. I'm honestly not sure why he was down this low, but Pete is super high on him.
4(112): Carter Rustad, a HS SP. The main reason I drafted him is I was in the army with his dad, which 1) is cool and 2) makes me feel very old. He has a 92 mph heater and an 80 curveball, and a lot of room to grow.

A few questions about these guys:

Do we want to put Cerda in as a 2B or SS? He could do both. He'll probably be slightly worse as a SS, but is obviously more valuable there.
Do we put in Jones as a SP or a 1B/OF? Or...as a 2 way player? I honestly do not know how that affects development. He has the look of a star hitter, and a decent SP.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, we've just been notified that our team hates Neil Walker. He's basically a replacement level 2B. Do we want to try and trade him? It is unlikely we can land a better player, but the team morale might improve.

We could potentially call up Isan Diaz, who is a bat-first 2B with a lot of power. He...might be alright.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sent off Neil Walker for Denard Span, for reasons that will become clear shortly.

Also this Spencer kid is loving something.. I don't know how he fell to 35, but...I'll take it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We had something kind of cool happen during the international signing window.

There were a bunch of mildly interesting prospects, as there usually are. Most want way more money than they're likely to be worth.

Pete came back with a 19 year old kid out of Mexico: Esteban Ochoa. He's a straight 5 star prospect, which you almost NEVER see in the IFA window. Pete has him at 70/75/75. He's not much defensively (his arm is lol bad...like, 25 bad) but he has Frank Thomas bat potential at 1B.

We immediately offered him the $5m max bonus, even though he only wanted $1.2m. We are not loving around with this kid. Should we go ahead and bring him into the system? He's older, by IFA standards, so there isn't much reason to wait.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Saladin Rising posted:

I love our strategy so far. We've got Spencer Jones as a two way player, and we offered a 19 year old kid from Mexico 3.8 million more than he wanted and we're gonna just drop him straight into the team.

I approve, because it's not like playing it safe is gonna get any results.

To be clear: he is definitely not ML ready - I meant bring him over from Mexico and throw him into the system.

That said...he could potentially be ready a year from now.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 All Star Break

34-54, .386, 5th Place, NL East

Its the Juan Soto and Bryce Harper show. But they're on different teams now.

The NL East looks like a nightmare for the forseeable future.

Our defense has been great, and our SPs have been decent. Offense is mostly a black hole, though.

Bautista was loving brilliant for the first 47 games. 244/377/865, with 1.4 WAR. Then, his knee exploded. That's probably his career, and also why we needed Denard Span.

Buxton was red hot at the start, but needless to say, cooled down (81 OPS+ and 0.7 WAR after 63 GP) and is now on the DL after two previous minor injuries.

Cube started VERY slow, but turned it on big time the last 6 weeks. He's right about where he should be and has been great.

McMahon has been...underwhelming. We may have been had there.

Whoever JT Riddle is has been great.

Lucas Sims was the callup for Ryu, and has been rock solid. Pablo Lopez has been even better. They may be the basis for something good in the rotation going forward.

VOTE

We have some decisions to make regarding extensions. Who, of these guys, do we want to make offers to?

Ryu (lol)
Prado (lol)
Moustakas - he has an opt-out. Asking 8/112.
Denard Span - asking 1/1.6
Sergio Romo - not interested
Curtis Granderson - not interested
Jose Bautista :(

Note: I am having some issues with my web hosting at the moment, so no upload. Have some pics instead:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Drunk Canuck posted:

I want Mexican Frank Thomas.
El Gran Dolor.
Assign him number 35.

I love this, and done.

He's OPS+ing 305 in rookie ball over his first couple weeks.

If anyone has any number or nickname suggestions for any of our other guys POST THEM

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We got a couple of real interesting offers on Mike Moustakas, kid.

First is Max Kepler. Twins know we're interested. He's not having a great year this year, but I think he's a 260/350/500 guy, with a good glove in right. He's also on a reasonable contract for the next several y4ears.

Next is Jaime Callahan. I think he's gonna be the league's next great reliever. Fastball/cutter guy, with killer stuff. No idea why the Mets gave up on this kid, but he's been lights out this year...better than his 2.95 ERA suggests. I'm not kidding when I compare him to Rivera. Best news: he's a rookie this year.

Let me know if you're interested. We got a couple of replacement-level 3Bs on the roster now, so no need to backfill for Moose if he goes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moose for Kepler is a DONE DEAL.

We discussed things with the Giants, and they'll take John Lamb for Dirty Jaime Callahan. That's a no brainer, right?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pete found some gems in the Twins system that they were curiously ready to give up.

We give:
Moustakas
Demetrius Sims: nothing 2B prospect
Jared Barnes: Not terrible C prospect
Brett Lilek: nothing SP prospect

FOR

Kepler
Jorge Alcala: 23 year old RHP with 99 mph heater and a plus slider. He's a bit behind the curve developmentally (23 in high A) but his potential is huge.
Nick Gordon: 23 year old glove-first SS/2B. Is probably a ML backup now, has some potential for growth.
Brent Rooker: 24 y/o 1B/LF with huge power: hitting very well (.786 OPS with 16 HRs) in AAA this year.

Alcala is intriguing. If he figures out his control he's a 1/2 starter for sure. Barnes is a loss, but we're set at C for the forseeable future.

Of note: it looks like Mattingly is using an OPENER occasionally. Mainly when Trevor Richards pitches. Interesting....

Lineup is now:
Buxton CF
Span LF
Astudillo C
McMachon 1B
Kepler RF
Riddle SS
Prado 3B
Gordon 2B

LETS GO SECOND HALF

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 6, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2019 MLB Season

73-89, .451, 5th place, NL East

Cleveland wins the World Series over the Mets in 5.

The league expands: Welcome the San Antonio Elephants and the Memphis Brown Bears. There is an expansion draft the day after free agency starts; we shouldn't have any issue with the protection list because we're all either young or bad.

We got ripped apart by injuries the second half: Pablo Lopez, our all star, went down with a rotator cuff...which puts his career in jeopardy. Jaime Callahan had some shoulder problems, but looks to be back on track.

Our hitters were bad this year, no two ways about it. We got decent performances out of Brinson, Riddle, and Astudillo. The rest of the roster was....bad, especially our most promising acquisitions, Buxton, Kepler, and McMahon. We aren't going to win with those guys OPsing in the 600s. That DEFENSE though....

On the plus side, we got some excellent pitching performances, especially in the second half. Lucas Sims looks like a potential star, as did Pablo Lopez, before his shoulder blew up. Our bullpen looks like it might even be GOOD next year, depending on how Julian Fernandez and Riley Ferrell develop, but we definitely need to add at least one lefty.

Offseason Decisions

Arbitration and free agents
Adam Conley
Jose Urena
Bryan Holaday
Miguel Rojas
JT Riddle
Byron Buxton

I think Holaday can go, and I don't think Urena, Rojas, or Conley are worth 3.6m, 3.6m, or 1.3m respectively.

Qualify or extend any of the following:
Jose Bautista
Martin Prado
Sergio Romo
Hyun-jin Ryu

No QO's obviously. Prado wants 1.6m for 1 year, and was decent last year. I'd consider this. Bats also wants 1.6m, but I'm hesitant about a 39 year old coming off a knee explosion.

Span won't resign with us. Granderson retired.

Coaching

We have some big decisions to make here.

Don Mattingly, manager. He's on a fairly small contract (978k) through 2022. I think he's a solid manager, who did alright with a bad roster. There are some interesting possibilities out there though, including John Farrell, Joe Girardi, Mike Matheny, Mike Scioscia, Ned Yost, and John Gibbons. Matheny is the only saber-focused high profile manager...and he might be a good fit for this team.

Our hitting coach sucked anyway, and we need to find a new one. There aren't any high profile free agent hitting coaches, and we don't have any interesting prospects in the system. So, this is kind of a shot-in-the dark. The most interesting guy to me is Frank Menechino, who is a younger guy that put up a good season in A ball last year.

I think our pitching goach, Mel Stottlemyer Jr, did great.

We also need to decide on our team trainer: his focus is prevention, and he specializes in arm injuries...but we had a TON of major arm problems this year. Bad luck, or was he the problem? He's making $212k through 2022, and there are numerous other candidates available.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 7, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

What can we get for Astudillo?

Actually...good stuff.

Correa, Corey Seager, and Benintendi were the best that came back. I'm kinda tempted by Benintendi....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

We'll stick with Don for at least next season. Hopefully we'll give him more to use.

We hired Frank Menechino as our hitting coach. I have high hopes for this guy.

Cube Catcher won rookie of the year and silver slugger.

The bad news is this isn't a .500 team right now.

The good news is that we have $51 million available for salary. I also bumped up our scouting and development budgets to the league average...we were seriously underfunding them both last season.

This is also a solid free agent class.

Gerrit Cole is a very good #1 starter. He also wants to be the best paid player in the game. I don't think he's worth anywhere near 7/275.

Kikuji Hamamura should be our number one target. He's a no-glove 1B, but he's one of the best pure hitters on the planet - Pete thinks he has 300/400/600 potential. Plus, he's only 26, and is seeking 8/168.

Anthony Rendon is one of the better hitting 3Bs over the last several years, but is coming off what was apparently one of the worst hamstring pulls of all time. I think he's a steal at 5/71, but he is a compensation player with a significant injury history. At that price though....

Yasiel Puig is elite, but isn't worth $26m a year in my opinion.

Hee-Gon "Meal Ticket" Im is a Korean import. His repertoire is...weird. Fastball/cutter/change/circle change, but he's got a 96 mph heater and excellent control He's 30, and wants 8/129. I think he is an ideal target for us to improve the staff.

Other FAs of note include JD Martinez, Mike Moustakas, Alex Wood, Didi Gregorious, Scooter Gennett, Josh Donaldson, Khris Davis, Xander Bogaerts, and Yasmani Grandal.

I see our major holes as SP, 1B, possibly COF, and 3B.

Who do we target with our $50 million???

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

Can we swing Rendon, Im, and Khris "247" Davis?

Cole is always a good pickup but not at that money.

He hit .253 last year so the universe might be in danger.

He wants 8/160, which we could afford, but he's a minus glove in left and turns 32 in a few days. That contract could get ugly, but we could probably squeeze it in.

algebra testes posted:

Would Xander add anything at SS? Glove or bat?

He'd be an upgrade offensively, but we've got a couple of good young SSs and I'd be very wary of his declining numbers the last few years. He wants 9/126, which too could get ugly.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Rendon and Hamamura should lock up a relatively competitive IF, particularly when some of our SS guys prospects start being ready.

What does Alex Wood want? He's not an ace but he seems like a steady MOR guy we could get relatively cheap to sure up the rotation.

Woody wants 5/68. Im might be out of our price range now...he's a solid fall back guy.

Cool news: Pete responded to us increasing his scouting budget by finding a 65/70/60 16 year old 1B in the Dominican. ...nice

Cole went to the Cubbies for 4/135, with an opt out after 2. What a weird contract.

Update: Rendon has priced us out, he got a $20m+ a year offer. Josh Donaldson is available though. He's still an average 3B glove, and could be a 250/350/500 player. We could bring him in for....$16m a year for 3 years, with a club option...?

edit - never mind, we're price out of that too.

Mike Moustakas, again?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 8, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's us:

Here's all the free agents

We did land Hamamura on a pretty drat reasonable deal (I think it was 7/147 with a TO in the last season), and he looks like the best FA of the class, so I guess it isn't all bad. Everyone else went elsewhere despite me throwing cash at them. It it hard to get people to play for bad baseball teams in unpleasant cities.

VOTE

So here's what I'm thinking: Ryan McMahon looks like he could play competent 3B. Do we want to give him a look there during ST? He was a disappointment last year, but Pete still thinks there's a quality ballplayer in there. This Rule 5 draft should be decent though, and there's always the late-offseason veteran pickups. Do we want to try and convert McMahon, sign a couple of middling vets, or make a trade for a new 3B?

As for our staff, we definitely need at least one more starting pitcher. Sixto Sanchez might be ready for primetime this season - we'll get a good look at him in the spring. Sims is looking like a quality long term starter also. The FA cupboard is bare but...for some reason, Chris Archer is on the block. He had a great season last year and is on a ridiculously team friendly deal - $9m this year, and an $11m TO next year. We'll have to give up some middling prospects for him, but that seems like a "mash accept" trade to me. Dallas Keuchel is also on the block despite having been signed this week, on a 1 year, $10m deal, and should be very cheap. Do we want to go for one or both of those guys?

We have a bit of a logjam at 1B. Esteban "El Gran Dolor Ochoa is probably going to be worth a ML look this year and may enter the season as a top 5 prospect. With Hamamura locked in long term, do we want to 1) let him ride at 1B, 2) try and convert him to another position, or 3) trade him? His glove and range are good, but his arm is ABYSMAL...so, 2B, or possibly LF might be worth it, maybe. If not, we could probably bring back an elite cost-controlled pitcher in exchange.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bad news, kid. Esteban Ochoa didn't bring in anything interesting. We'll want to hold on to him. Maybe have him play in LF this season, and see if we can make an outfielder out of him.

We fired on the Chris Archer deal.

We get:

Archer in exchange for Lewis Brinson and Sean Reynolds, a nothing 1B prospect. I didn't want to give up Brinson, but...hear me out.

We also lucked into Sean Doolittle, almost for free...all it took was Daniel Castano, a nothing SP prospect.

We had a SWEET loving haul in the Rule 5 draft.

DJ Peters is a RF with a decent glove and plus power. He killed AA last year and is ML ready. He has 40 HR potential but was buried in the LAD org. He should be able to step in for Brinson right away.

Brett Sullivan is a decent young C who will be our backup to Da Cube.

Ian Gibaut is a righty reliever with 3 plus pitches and 98 mph heat. No idea what he was doing so deep in the Rays system but he has been excellent the last 3 years in the minors.

Mitchell White is another Dodger steal. I have no idea what they were thinking letting this kid go, he's 25 and threw 46 quality innings of ML ball last year.

We also signed Marcus Stroman to a cheap 1 year deal.

JEETS goes to the hall on his first try. Larry Walker drops off.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rough news out of Spring Training:

Esteban Ochoa, who was looking GOOD in RF and was poised to make the team out of ST as a 20 year old, is out for the year with an ACL tear.

Jaime Callahan, who was poised to be the next great RP in baseball, is out for the year with "radial nerve decompression" whatever the gently caress that is.

gently caress

edit - and now Mitchell White, who looked ready to make the rotation, is out for most of the year with a finger tendon. This is a bloodbath.

At least Stroman is only missing 3 weeks.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 9, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only one minor ST roster decision:

Do we want to give Sixto Sanchez a run out in the rotation? He's probably ML-ready, but we can always gently caress with his service time. Our #5 starter is...real bad, though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, Sixto wasn't pleased.

2020 MLB Season

Predicted record: 86-76, .531, 3rd place, NL East

Farm system is now NUMBER ONE. We have the top 4 prospects in baseball, plus #28 (Carter Rustad), and 3 guys in the 100s.

However, this farm isn't really as great as it sounds. Daniel Cerda is #1, which is exactly what I'd expect Pete to produce with a top 5 pick. However, he's at least a year out still, and didn't kill it at high A last year. Sixto Sanchez is #2, which is a great jump for him. He's ML ready, but we're messing with his career. He's looking like a future #1. Spencer Jones is number 3, he's the 2-way 1B/SP, but he sucked it up in Rookie ball and Pete is way down on him, even if the consensus isn't. Finally, Esteban Ochoa is #4, but he's out for a critical developmental year with a bad knee.

Pitching Staff. Sims and Archer are both excellent, and are in the top 20 in the league. After that...things are iffy. It would be huge if Stroman got his groove back.

Lucas Sims
Chris Archer
Marcus Stroman
Caleb Smith
Trevor Richards

Sean Doolittle (CL)
Riley Ferrell
Jimmy Herget
Tommy Eveld
Zac Houston
Dylan Lee
Ian Gibaut
Jose Quijada

Lineup. This lineup has a ton of talent, but absolutely NO proven ML performers other than Da Cube.

Byron Buxton - CF
Ryan McMahon - 3B
Kikuji Hamamura - 1B
DJ Peters - RF
Max Kepler- LF
Willians Astudillo - C
Nick Gordon - 2B
JT Riddle - SS

editors note: they did an update or something today and it rather screwed with my game, causing it to crash. I lost the previous ST, but replayed it and added the serious injuries back in. In the replay we had no serious injuries so...that's cool.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 10, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

If I remember right, Pete is a literal cheat code. bewbies hosed with his scouting stats. But honestly scouting is such a black box in this game that I'm honestly not sure how much of an edge it actually gives us aside from being able to fleece the league's GMs (sometimes.)

This is true. I actually think that the best staff member to have is a super pitching coach, so much so that online leagues sometimes ban you from even having one. Pete is awesome though...he's usually good for at least one good trade and one good prospect a year.

That said, it looks like he's missed on a few guys early on this time....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the 2020 Draft, we pick #11. There's four real possibilities here:

Nick Storz. 22 year old RHP. 94 mph heater, 3 plus pitches, but only 3 pitches. Good mental makeup. Probably the #1 college pitcher in the class. Some control issues.

Pat "IRONFIST" Drohan. 18 year old CF. Plus plus power, good contact, good glove. Expensive. Long term project, probably at least 3 years out. Poor plate discipline.

Carlos Perez. 18 year old C. 80 contact tool, 65 power tool. Good patience. Should be above average defensive catcher; would be a fine 1B, has the arm for COF, or possibly 3B.

Trejyn "Tre" Fletcher. 19 year old CF. 5 tool player. 55 contact, 50 power, 70 speed, 75 glove. Good attitude. Expensive. Will strike out a lot but should be a reliable 25 HR/350 OBP player. Relatively advanced for his age, could see the show by 2022.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Perez it is.

We had another attractive draft. It helps picking high I guess. Yay 2 way players!

Hank Bearden (2/57) is an 18 year old pitcher with some killer junk pitches.

Jimmy Hitchler is a 22 year old CF with a solid bat and a loving killer cutter/curve combo.

Kymani Bethea is a slap hitting 2B with a great looking glove.

Esteban Ayala is a 3B with a weak glove, but 75 contact and 75 power, say Pete.

Yanluis Ortiz is the most interesting pick. He's a SP with a slow-ish fastball, but a great curve. He's also a solid CIF, with 75 power, and 65 eye. He would've been a first round pick, but he wants a lot of money...$2.8mm, for a guy that went in the 6th round. We pay the man, right?

Also: what's Carlos Perez's nickname? He's 5'10" 190, with a great arm and 80/65/60 bat tools. His teammates love him, he's a clubhouse leader, and he was born in Miami. That's...all I got.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2020 All Star Break

33-42, .440, 4th Place, NL East.

Well, things haven't gone quite as we'd hoped. Our pitching has been great, but our hitters have been...disappointing, especially our outfield. Buxton and Peters have been absolute offensive black holes this entire season. Terrifyingly so.

If we're going to make the playoffs...or maybe even .500, we need more production from our OF spots. We have three choices:

1) Pay big for a good young OF. There isn't anything available cheap, so...we'd be giving up multiple elite prospects.

2) Paper the hole with a vet. Starling Marte, Steven Souza Jr, and Randall Grichuk are all semi-available, and are all solid MLB players. Marte has a TO for next year, otherwise, they're free agents after the season.

3) Roll with what we got. They have to get better, right?

Good news: League Website is finally up!!

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
They want waaay too much for Marte IMO...a roster player or a top prospect, for a guy who has been just as bad as our guys.

We have a couple upcoming FAs:

Sean Doolittle has been brilliant as our closer. He wants 3/25, but he's 33. I think if he'll go 7m with a team option year, I'm in for him.

Marcus Stroman wants 8/196, and has been pretty bad. Uh...

Extend either of these guys?

For our international signing, we blew the wad on Paullo Schwab, a 6'3", 18 year old Venezuelan. He's a 5 tool CF, with an 80 contact tool, excellent speed, and great range in the OF. He is very, very raw though.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We brought in Grichuk for the low low price of Caleb Smith, who I really wanted to get rid of so Sixto Sanchez had a spot in the rotation.

I was hoping to extend Grich, but he wants a 7/160 type contract, which we both cannot afford, and he is not worth. He's here for the playoff push though!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Time to shop the Stro Sho

This actually brought back some decent offers

Vladimir Gutierrez is a ML-ready 24 year old with 3 plus pitches. He's been good in AAA this year.

Devin Mann is the #77 overall prospect. Pete is very high on him, huge power out of 2B, and a plus glove. he's 24 and in high A though.

Fernando Romero is very hard throwing SP who has done very well at AAA. He's 25 and ML ready.

Apparently Jose Reyes is on our AAA team. He's batting .198.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 11, 2019