Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

1) Twins
2) Angels

PROPOSAL

In the unlikely event that the thread doesn't override your bad choices and pick the Twins, trade for Astudillo immediately and make him the starting catcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZeButler posted:

I don't have an opinion on any thing else, but I'm curious what it would take to grab some overflow talent from the bigger clubs, like Ian Happ from the Cubs.

PROPOSAL

See what it would take to rescue Jose Martinez from the Cards

Also

VOTE

-What is our approach to team building?

2) Build through waivers, trades, and Rule 5. (With a side of 1 and 3)

-What skillsets do we emphasize?

Several questions here broadly determine how we prioritize different parts of our roster. This of course does not mean that we forgo pitchers if we choose hitting, but it does mean we'll spend more of our limited resources on hitters.

1. Pitching or hitting?

2. Starting pitching, or bullpen? - SEE BELOW PROPOSAL

3. Starters, or depth?

4. Pick two: power, speed, patience, defense

5. Pick one: velocity, control

What is our preferred tactical approach to the game?

note: this is ultimately up to the manager, but we are the ones who hire the manager

2. Sabermetric. OBP uber alles.

PROPOSAL

Build a four man rotation of average to good starters and finish it off with a bullpen of failed starters that can reliably go out and get an inning or twos worth of outs on short or no rest :getin:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 3, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

So, we need to shoot for .500 ball this year. And...find a star player. So much for tanking. Thanks, Jeets.

VOTE

JD Martinez. He's on a fat contract we can't really afford (4 more years at 23m) and he can't field for poo poo, but god drat is he a good hitter.

You gotta get rid of Wei-Yin Chen. God help you kid, but I found a buyer that isn't the likes of Chris Davis or Jason Heyward. The Dodgers will send us Hyun-jin Ryu if we hold onto 25% of Chen's salary. We'll lose about $3m this year, but will gain a lot of salary space the next two years.

Matt Adams is a big-bat (think 270/330/500) 30 year old 1B with a decent glove, on a cheap contract. He has an opt-out after this year, but we could potentially extend him.

Lucas Sims is a AA pitcher with a 94 mph heater and a Barry Zito quality curve. If we can get him under control, he could be a star. As it stands, he'd be in our rotation. He's available more or less for free.

We have about $16m to play with. $13 if we fire on that Chen trade (we should).

NOW...VOTE

Do these. Martinez solves the star request. I'd love to nab Kepler too but with the JD contract we probably won't be able to afford him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OK well obviously I have to vote for Buxton

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was under the impression that we were always trading for Ryu to clear future cap space so it's whatever. Nobody should have expected him to not miss significant time due to injury anyways.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hinds
Backstrom

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Two way player!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gordon is probably expendable through the ootp logic because of Schoop, Polanco, and Lewis

Also I approve of you righting the wrong of not making the Twins an option by just trading for all of them instead. Literally half of our starting lineup were Twins at the start of the year :lol:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

algebra testes posted:

What can we get for Astudillo?

I don't think this is the thread for you

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Let's just sign all the international guys

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Woody wants 5/68. Im might be out of our price range now...he's a solid fall back guy.

Cool news: Pete responded to us increasing his scouting budget by finding a 65/70/60 16 year old 1B in the Dominican. ...nice

What I'm seeing here is that my idea for a strategy is correct

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also: what's Carlos Perez's nickname? He's 5'10" 190, with a great arm and 80/65/60 bat tools. His teammates love him, he's a clubhouse leader, and he was born in Miami. That's...all I got.

comen pasteles

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Time to shop the Stro Sho

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Continue becoming the Twins by getting Romero IMO

I vote for 1 or 3, in that order.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Extend Gordon and continue signing/trading for as many international players as possible

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

PS: he's the #1 prospect heading into the season. He probably shouldn't be: Blaze Jordan is #2, and he slashed 314/451/667 as an 18 year old in rookie ball. He's in high A this year.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd give guys closer to or in the majors a bump over guys who have only played in rookie ball

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

One more vote for Okada

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I propose a mix of A and B where we use the first two points of A and all the rest of B

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I believe in CheatPete

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Keep the Burger King. In true Marlins fashion, it'll be easy to ship him out if we need the budget room for someone else later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

We have the Brewers in the ALDS.

:raise:

Also Wild Card games own

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lun Zhao is PRC?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=zhao--000lun

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Trevor Richards had to retire after giving his brother a kidney.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, are there any huge differences between this version of OotP and last year's?

They added lootboxes