Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alright, never mind then. I just figured I'd make sure. In any case, I think we can all agree that was a terrible show, and I for one still want my money back even though I didn't even pay for it.

I wish I still had the text for the review/recap I wrote about December to Dismember at the time, but sadly that was lost many years ago. It was probably terrible and unfunny because all my wrestling show reviews from that time were terrible and unfunny, but it might have been fun to see how I went from "modest expectations but still some hope" to "oh god why" over the course of the show.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah as late era WCW PPVs go, Greed wasn't half had. "Sin" had sid's legsplosion, superbrawl revenge was a mess as I recall, and I don't remember any of the late 2000 PPVs being any good.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's still interesting to me that, X7 aside, the Attitude Era Wrestlemania's largely sucked rear end.

14 was medioce
15 was garbage
2000 was mediocre leaning to awful

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm actually watching all the Wrestlemania's from 17 onward at the moment. I have a week off work and I put them on in the background while I'm preparing classes and stuff.
17 is a classic. 18 is decent. 19 is loving woeful. Just started 20

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The main event of 20 was weird when the title suddenly starting floating in midair while confetti fell everywhere, I guess it was on strings?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I haven’t watched 20 since that night. But I remember it being a blast.

That year the RA of my dorm used his activity budget every month for ppvs and pizza in the lounge. It was a lot of fun.

Someone that didn’t like him tried to get him in trouble because that person felt it wasn’t a good enough activity and wasn’t inclusive to people that don’t like wrestling.

Then when they looked at the attendance they discovered that getting 30-50 people each month made it the most popular activity on a campus with 500 students living there.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

The main event of 20 was weird when the title suddenly starting floating in midair while confetti fell everywhere, I guess it was on strings?

The weirdest part of the main event was watching HHH and HBK sell moves to a mysterious invisible third competitor.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

The weirdest part of the main event was watching HHH and HBK sell moves to a mysterious invisible third competitor.

drat, I didn't know Invisible Man got a WWE run in before his GCW spots.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

19 has some of the better upper card Mania matches but the undercard is fair to middling

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

OldTennisCourt posted:

How was WCW Greed considering it was the final WCW show?
The 2001 WCW PPVs are all pretty good, actually. Especially Sin.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I've been rewatching a bunch of past Wrestlemanias lately, and I gotta say Wrestlemania 25 is really rough and largely worthless aside from the Michaels/Taker match. Let's go over the matches, shall we?

---

- Okay, first I have to point out the whole "25th anniversary of Wrestlemania" thing. Yes, people have been making fun of that since 2009 so this isn't anything new, but how did nobody involved in the marketing bother to mention that anniversaries don't work that way? Or did Vince shout them down because only nerds care about that kind of dumb poo poo, as I suspect was the case?

- The MITB ladder match is always a decent way to start off the show. No major complaints there.

- Of course, everything goes to poo poo immediately after MITB as Kid Rock shows up and spends about three weeks performing his greatest hits to almost complete silence. This means none of the participants in the women's battle royal get any entrances (and the tag team championship unification match was moved to the preshow to accommodate this crap) and the commentary team has no idea who is even in the match. Not that that matters, because the battle royal is a joke and is won by Santino in drag.

- Chris Jericho wrestles the shambling corpses of Jimmy Snuka and Roddy Piper, but thankfully Ricky Steamboat is also there to salvage things a bit and has a fun match with Jericho. It would've been interesting to see how Mickey Rourke would've done if his planned match with Jericho had happened, but now he just punches out Jericho after the match.

- The Hardys have an extreme rules match against each other. Aside from a couple of nice spots, this never really gets going. Have these two ever had a good singles match that wasn't Final Deletion?

- Rey Mysterio beats JBL in 20 seconds to win the IC title, and JBL immediately retires so he can spend more time in the commentary booth to everyone's great delight. Mysterio's dressed up as the Joker from The Dark Knight because of course he loving is, and JR earns my biggest :stare: of the night by saying "Mysterio's career is alive and well" after King mentions Heath Ledger.

- Undertaker vs. Michaels, aka the only positive reason anyone remembers this show. Still an amazing match, although that outside dive by Taker continues to look utterly horrifying. :stonk:

- John Cena beating Big Show and Edge for the World Heavyweight Championship by lifting both of them up for the AA at the same time is a pretty cool moment, but the rest of the match is completely forgettable.

- The main event of the night features Triple H taking on THE VIPER Randy Orton in a slow, plodding, basic match that isn't good enough to main event an episode of Raw, let alone act as a blowoff for a months-long blood feud which involved Orton attacking HHH's family. This match should've been No DQ or Last Man Standing or something, anything that isn't just a regular old match with the two going through the motions until the ref tells them the show's running long and they have to bring it home. I'm not really sure anything could salvage a HHH vs. Orton match for me because I don't give the slightest gently caress about either guy, but they could at least have tried to make this look like these two want to hurt each other.

---

I genuinely did not remember this show being so bad. Maybe it's because I watched it with friends back in the day or maybe Taker/Michaels was just that good, but I recall having a decent time watching Mania 25 back in 2009.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 17, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I remember being really hyped for that Jeff/Matt match, and thought it was going to include some insane spots. It was such a disappointment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm sure it's been done before but I'd love to do a watch-along thread of all the Wrestlemanias.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
WrestleMania 2000 being poo poo is particularly frustrating because they put on one of the most perfect WrestleMania main events in history. They just did it the next month on Backlash instead. Just so they could have their McMahon in every corner circle jerk.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The month after Wrestlemania is almost always a much better PPV. People get actual time for their matches instead of trying to cram every loving person in the roster on the card. Sheamus/Daniel Bryan 2 out of 3 falls is a loving classic and no one even remembers it thanks to 18 seconds.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm sure it's been done before but I'd love to do a watch-along thread of all the Wrestlemanias.

If each poster here took a mania it could work. Hell I will start, I'll take Mania 1.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That one Royal Rumble in the mid 90s where the roster was so thin that most of the entries were either one-time guest spots or complete jobbers.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

The month after Wrestlemania is almost always a much better PPV. People get actual time for their matches instead of trying to cram every loving person in the roster on the card. Sheamus/Daniel Bryan 2 out of 3 falls is a loving classic and no one even remembers it thanks to 18 seconds.

Counterpoint: Backlash 2006. Featuring Vince "defeating" God.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Angry_Ed posted:

Counterpoint: Backlash 2006. Featuring Vince "defeating" God.

Countercounterpoint: The segment in the church is outstanding.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The worst PPV I've watched all the way through is TLC 2014, a list which includes December to Dismember. I do skip around on a lot of shows these days because I can't be bothered to watch three hours of poo poo, but I somehow put myself through the whole of this TLC show. It featured:

The opener, Ziggler vs. Harper for the IC belt, as the highlight of the show with something like a ***1/2 match.
A better than expected Miz+Mizdow vs. Usos match, which was my second favorite match on the show by default
A terrible Big Show vs. Erick Rowan chairs match.
Cena vs. Rollins in a table match that was boring and had stupid bullshit all over it
A bad Nikki Bella vs. AJ Lee match
An awful Ryback vs. Kane match, which was our second chairs match of the night
The main event was Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt in a TLC match where Michael Cole poo poo on the match and then Ambrose lost when a monitor blew up in his face and let Wyatt hit the Sister Abigail.

I'm not sure what was worse about this show, the fact there were two separate chair matches between bad hosses or that this was the show where Dean Ambrose's viability in WWE died.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

If each poster here took a mania it could work. Hell I will start, I'll take Mania 1.

Mania 1 has mean gene sing the national anthem and cyndi lauper attack the fabulous moolah. Pretty good show.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Rodney the Piper posted:

A terrible Big Show vs. Erick Rowan chairs match.

Even dumber, it was to my knowledge the only time there's been a loving STAIRS match. Who could possibly give a poo poo?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I would watch Wrestlemania 9, as gently caress it, it had Evil Doink and Evil Doink was great. How bad could it be?

bad

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Can I call 19 or is this just the bad ones

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

I Before E posted:

Can I call 19 or is this just the bad ones

Well the idea was for any and all Manias. It sounds like this may be a new thread idea for whoever's wants to start it.

I'll take 1, you got 19 and deathchicken has 9.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Well the idea was for any and all Manias. It sounds like this may be a new thread idea for whoever's wants to start it.

I'll take 1, you got 19 and deathchicken has 9.

I might make this thread tomorrow. :cool: I think it would be fun just to do watchalongs and do maybe one every few weeks that we could discuss.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's a real cool idea and I look forward to the thread :)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Whoever ends up making the Mania watch-along thread, put me down for 'Mania 8: Operation Empty Arena Storm..

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

At least the early Manias are relatively short compared to the 7 and a half hours long like the newer ones :whitewater:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
when I first started getting into wrestling i was still willing to give WWE money so I went to Survivor Series 2015.

if you don't recall, that's the PPV with the loving dreadful brothers of destruction/wyatt family match and Sheamus' cash-in. also featured completely heatless tournament matches, a 6 minute Ziggler match with Tyler Breeze, and Charlotte tapping out Paige. there was also this

Cagematch posted:

Ryback, The Lucha Dragons (Kalisto & Sin Cara) & The Usos (Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso) defeat King Barrett, Sheamus & The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston & Xavier Woods) (17:33)

which I swear to god I have no memory of whatsoever

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Please someone with a better memory than me do a writeup of the YAMMA event

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Low Desert Punk posted:

when I first started getting into wrestling i was still willing to give WWE money so I went to Survivor Series 2015.

if you don't recall, that's the PPV with the loving dreadful brothers of destruction/wyatt family match and Sheamus' cash-in. also featured completely heatless tournament matches, a 6 minute Ziggler match with Tyler Breeze, and Charlotte tapping out Paige. there was also this

which I swear to god I have no memory of whatsoever

I remember this match because it was also my first survivor series and that was the actual survivor series match of the night. i asked the people i was watching with if that was normal and they said yes and i was sad.

then the 2016 one ruled so everything turned out ok.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
The first time I ever watched wrestling (except for half an episode of what I only realised about a decade later was Impact) was when my friend gave me the DVD of Taboo Tuesday 2004.

At the time I obviously had no idea what was happening, but watching it back years later that show is pretty rough. Snitsky/Kane, Fulfil Your Fantasy Diva's Battle Royal, Eugene/Bischoff, and Triple H/Shawn part 40. Orton/Flair in the cage was the only good match on the show. The second best was probably Jericho/Benjamin for the IC title but I wouldn't call it good; it was just kinda there.

Maybe not the worst PPV, probably just forgettable to most people, but cause it was my first it always sticks out in my mind.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldTennisCourt posted:

How was WCW Greed considering it was the final WCW show?

Greed was good, no poo poo. Not even with a for on death's doorway WCW qualifier. If I had known it was the last one, I would have went.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Did that wrestlemania thread ever get made? I'd love to participate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Did that wrestlemania thread ever get made? I'd love to participate.

I'm making it right now, should have it up in the next few minutes :cool:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here's the thread if anyone wants to join in :)

Wrestlemania Watchalongs - The Granddaddy of them All

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887743

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Great American Bash 2000

The show opens with Lieutenant Loco (Chavo Guerrero) of the Misfits in Action facing Disco Inferno, who was hanging out with The Filthy Animals for some reason, I don't know, I don't care. This is ostensibly a singles match for the Cruiserweight Title, but with both stables getting involved what we actually get is a clusterfuck with at least five people in the ring at any one time. The absolute nadir of the whole charade is the appearance of "Pops" (?), General Rection/Hugh Morrus' grandad, apparently. He's old, so he ends up collapsing when he does his run-in spot. He is subsequently revived when he is given the kiss of life by Major Gunns. I think this spot got more time than the actual match. Wretched.

Mike Awesome beats DDP in an ambulance match. This was the pay-off of a one-month blood feud: previously, at Slamboree, Awesome had thrown DDP's mate Chris Kanyon off the top of a steel cage onto the entrance ramp. This was an impressive spot, albeit one diluted by being performed in the same arena as Owen Hart's death, on what would have been Owen Hart's birthday no less. Kanyon, who has supposedly been in a coma ever since, is wheeled out in a wheelchair by DDP, and judging by his guppy fish expression he appears to be brain dead. The match ends with the swerve of Kanyon getting out of the wheelchair!! and attacking DDP, later complaining that DDP never visited him in the hospital and that Eric Bischoff is now his best friend. The one good thing here is that it led to Positively Chris Kanyon, which was great.

GI Bro, Booker T in terrible camo gear and face paint, defeats Shawn Stasiak in a "Boot Camp Match". It was not good.

Shane Douglas comes out and asks the crowd if his upcoming tables match with The Wall should go to a best of five. Despite my desperate pleading to the contrary almost twenty years into the future, this is greeted with an acceptable response by the crowd. This audibly throws off commentator Scott Hudson, who begins asking what the rules are now. The match is horrific. It eventually ends up at the entranceway, where a ladder is clumsily set up with two tables by its side. The two climb up the ladder, slowly, as is often the style in pro wrestling, and look to go through the tables! "I don't think The Wall knows what's behind him!" cries one of the commentators, despite us seeing the lumbering oaf constantly look behind him to check that he's in position. One of the worst matches I've seen in ages.

Scott Steiner defeats Rick Steiner and Tank Abbott in an asylum match. The asylum was Scott's gimmick at the time, a small cage that was placed inside the already-tight WCW ring - so no one can escape the legit maniac, you see. Three men. Asylum. Logistics.

Hogan defeats Kidman as the conclusion to one of the most ridiculous one-sided feuds in living memory. Hogan, to his credit, shows up in his fancy gear and not the WCW trademark "black shirt and jeans" he had on at Slamboree. Highly irritating heel commentator Mark Madden spends the whole match being highly irritating, with Hudson only taking his bait. The drama in the match revolves around Hogan's useless nephew Horace. In short, this match was to set up a feud between Billy Kidman and Horace Hogan.

Ric Flair defeats his son David, who at this point is hanging around with Vince Russo because reasons. It has David Flair, and the rest of Flair's family show up to really, er, "spice up" the drama too. Madden is still complaining about something. The match ends with Russo challenging Ric for a future match, as the latter (who was 51 years old at the time) does crotch chops.

Vampiro defeats Sting in the infamous Human Torch Match. This entire feud has seen Vampiro getting battered by Sting, except when Sting has the misfortune to be covered in the mysterious red liquid!, but tonight Vampiro will actually get to set his nemesis on fire! Believe it or not, the match announcement actually gets a fairly positive response from the crowd, who have looked and sounded like they're on the verge of self-harm for hours now (beyond, you know, just watching this show). The match ends when Sting...'s body double is set on fire (wow, he sure caught those flames quickly!) and he stumbles off the top of the big screen into the conveniently placed crash mats below. The anticlimax kills the crowd stone dead, and the commentators act as though this is because they're sad that they just saw a man fall to his death. A shot of them at the booth shows Scott Hudson and Tony Schiavone simultaneously facepalming. To paraphrase Mark Madden, "I wanted to see someone set on fire but I didn't want to see that!"

In the main event, Jeff Jarrett retains his WCW title against Kevin Nash. Big Sexy is so bad in this match, like, even worse than usual bad. The Cat is also there. I think a guitar is smashed, I don't know, I can't remember.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hulkster put over Kidman, brother

Not his fault Kidman couldn't take the ball and run with it, JACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I should also note that this is the show with the GOLDBERG HEEL TURN.

Goldberg was one of two people, along with Hogan, who was getting a particularly strong positive reaction all night long, so naturally it makes sense to squander the fans' desire for Goldberg and the possibility of more Goldberg to come.

They even had THE GOLDBERG MONSTER TRUCK on standby!