Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

What is the Link to the Past Randomizer?

The Link to the Past Randomizer (LTTPR, or just Randomizer) is a hack of the version 1 Link to the Past game put together by the people in the banner above. This hack moves all the items in the game around, which makes Link to the Past a little bit more difficult and dynamic. It's big in the speedrunning crowd, mostly because no game is the same, and you can't just memorize what the best tricks are and then replicate them. You need to figure out the best route to take and have knowledge of what items you need to complete each dungeon.

Plus, there are sometimes crazy chains of items that lead to implausible strategies. A required double dip of Turtle Rock because you need to grab the mirror to get the shovel to dig up the Ice Rod? It'll happen. Finding the Master Bombos Medallion on the Pedestal? Your uncle turns out to be an arsonist with the fire rod? All things that can and will come up.

That sounds kind of fun, how do I get in on this?

You can learn more at the randomizer's web page as well as instructions on how to get started. There's also a discord, where the people will help you out. If you want to run this game, there's tournaments happening all the time, as well as daily races using different settings.

What's that weird thing next to the screen?

That's my tracker. Since everything is randomized, you need to know what items unlock certain locations. The tracker lets me keep...well, track of what items I have and what locations I've visited. I'm using EmoSaru's tracker software. I'm also using the Autotracker so it keeps track of items for me. Saves me time and energy. Keep in mind this isn't legal for speedruns, but something casual like this is just fine!

What is the goal of this LP?

I want to show off several different modes. The randomizer itself has several different ways to play, all with their own quirks. I'll be doing my first run using the following settings:

Standard Mode
Defeat Ganon
Normal Difficulty

Basically, the goal is to collect the 7 crystals and then defeat Ganon after climbing his tower. Normal difficulty means it's essentially the base game, other difficulties remove items from the pool and make some other changes. After this run, I'll open it up to a vote, including some of the crazier settings. These may include, but are not limited to: Playing the game starting in the dark world, having keys shuffled throughout the world and having enemies randomized as well as the items!

Run 1: Standard, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords

(note: The first half of this video has the commentary a half second ahead due to a technical issue, other videos do not have this problem)

Run 2: Inverted, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords

Seed can be found here

Run 3: Open, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords, Keysanity

Seed can be found here

Run 4: Open, Crystals, Normal, Crossworld Entrance Shuffler
may god have mercy on my soul

Seed can be found here.

Run 5: Open, Retro, Triforce Hunt

Final Run: Inverted, Hard, Uncle Assured, Keysanity, All Dungeons with Enemizer (chaos bosses and enemy shuffle)

Seed is here. THIS IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Hell, this isn't for me. I'm just doing this because I'm a masochist.

Bonus!

What tracker am I using? What does it look like?

Captain Capitalism fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oof. Rough start. Early mirror and moon are nice tho.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I got a clip of someone's run that actually did have a Master Ice Rod a few months ago. And EmoTracker is good civilization.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hey everyone!

I've already fully recorded my standard run, so these updates will come a little bit faster. In fact, here's another one now!

That being said, I need your help!

What kind of run do you want to see next?

The first run was to show off some of the basics of randomizer, but this time we're going to get a little crazy. Here are the options:

Inverted - New in v30 of the randomizer, you start in the dark world. Everything is flipped, and a lot of the game logic is changed because of it. It's a mode that starts out fairly difficult, but can be a lot of fun.
Keysanity - Unlike in normal modes where the maps, compasses and keys are in their respective dungeons, Keysanity puts them all throughout the world. Ganon's big key might be in Ice Rod Cave, and good luck finding that one Swamp Palace key. Longer seeds in general, but also usually interesting.

I'll also be doing something different this time and providing the seed to people who want to play it along with me. NO SPOILERS for those that do, not even a wink wink, nudge nudge type of thing. Give me your votes, and, if you want, let me know what sprite you want me to use. Did I mention there's a lot of sprites to use? There's a ton.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Inverted, Samus

The Samus sprite has the best dark world version, it's so good.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Inverted, Marisa

time to steal borrow everything that's not nailed down

RickVoid posted:

Inverted, Samus

The Samus sprite has the best dark world version, it's so good.

Dark World sprites in Inverted only show up if you get to the Light World without the moon pearl.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 3, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

keysanity is the best mode

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Inverted, and I'll second the Samus sprite.

SSNeoman posted:

keysanity is the best mode

I'm kind of masochistic with randomizer sometimes. I like to do crossworlds entrance randomizer, enemy randomizer, hard/expert modes, sometimes all at the same time.

I loving HATE keysanity. It just feels like the logic breaks down and you have to search every single location you come across rather than knowing when it's safe (or safe-ish) to skip chests or dungeon locations, etc. I realize that a lot of this is because I've only ever played three keysanity seeds and I'm just not used to them, but I'm okay with that.

With that out of the way, we actually have our own goon Link to the Past randomizer community! If anybody is getting started in randomizer or just didn't realize we had one here, feel free to stop by! There are quite a few of us, with a wide variety of skill and activity.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Looking forward to more of this. I've watched a bunch of OoT randomizer races and Doctor Kill's Majora's Mask randomizer LP, so I'm delighted to see one for LTTP.

Inverted sounds like the most interesting mode for people who know the vanilla game but aren't familiar with the randomizer, so let's go with that.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

An angel descended from the heavens and gave me a golden scroll that said "Hey dumbass, if you're going to take notes, consider reading them."

Then I blacked out and when I woke up, this was processed and ready to go:

There is only one more part remaining in this particular run, so your chance to vote for Inverted or Keysanity is almost up! So far it looks like I'm going to be having some fun in the dark world, but that might change.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Keysanity, Cirno

Because it's the smartest option and the best way to show off Randomizer. Of course.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rather Watch Them posted:

Keysanity, Cirno

Because it's the smartest option and the best way to show off Randomizer. Of course.
This. Bonus points if you can stick on a mortarboard for Professor Cirno. :v:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
In the second video, you called the room under the grave with the magic cape (in vanilla) the "king's grave", and a separate cave west of Link's house (if I remember correctly) cave number 45, or something along those lines. Is there some kind of naming convention that people use to refer to locations? If so, how did these names get determined, and is there a list of them?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

In the second video, you called the room under the grave with the magic cape (in vanilla) the "king's grave", and a separate cave west of Link's house (if I remember correctly) cave number 45, or something along those lines. Is there some kind of naming convention that people use to refer to locations? If so, how did these names get determined, and is there a list of them?

That's a good point!

Most of the locations are self explanatory, like Thieves' Town and Turtle Rock, but there's a lot of names for the overworld locations.

Cave 45 is named that because on one of the original maps of ALTTP, they had it labeled as "Cave 45" in the files, and the name stuck. It's also sometimes called South of Grove (it's south of the grove with the digging spot) as well.

King's Tomb is the spot next to the graveyard ledge. I don't know if it's said in the game somewhere.

Superbunny cave is the cave on east Dark Death Mountain, it's called that because if you have a mirror, you can cause a glitch that allows you to open those two chests even if you don't have the Moon Pearl.

Mire Shack is the small area with 2 chests right next to Mire

I'll try to be more clear with the names in future videos! In other news, I'll be posting the last part today and then I'll be rolling up my next seed, which I'm going to share with everyone in the thread if they want to play along. NO SPOILERS however, not even the wink wink nudge nudge kind. Looks like Inverted is currently in the lead. However, don't worry. Whatever loses out will be my third run. They're both important enough to warrant showing off.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Another important location name is Paradox Cave, the cave system on the east half of Death Mountain in the light world. That one gets its name because its entrances, exits, and size don't really match up well.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Paradox cave is definitely an important one, since it has 7 items in it. I think I tried to explain it. It's really something that needs to be seen.

Here is the last part of our standard run! How many times do you think I'll get knocked out of the arena by Ganon?

I've also tallied our votes, and it looks like Inverted will be our next run! I'll be using the Samus sprite. You can find the seed that we'll be using right here. Feel free to play along! This time, I'm doing commentary live, so we'll all find out how much the game hates me together. Please, no spoilers on where items are, especially because I forgot to roll that seed with spoilers turned off. Resist the temptation!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Am I too late to vote you try to get the screw attack from your uncle instead and then fight Kraid for the silver arrows?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hobojim posted:

I loving HATE keysanity. It just feels like the logic breaks down and you have to search every single location you come across rather than knowing when it's safe (or safe-ish) to skip chests or dungeon locations, etc. I realize that a lot of this is because I've only ever played three keysanity seeds and I'm just not used to them, but I'm okay with that.

That's why I like it, but I admit if you don't get the flute till later it will really piss you off. Regular randomizer just starts to feel like a laundry list after a few runs. I get where you're coming from tho.

Just don't do the Enemizer. That one is a big oof.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Geemer posted:

Am I too late to vote you try to get the screw attack from your uncle instead and then fight Kraid for the silver arrows?

I love that randomizer and would love to make a video on it but I'm not great at Super Metroid and all the little tricks you need to know to be efficient in Super Metroid/Link to the Past Randomizer.

Maybe a supplemental video after all the runs for this LP. As far as the inverted seed, I've played through the first bit and I'm doing live commentary for this one so I'm not spoiled ahead of time. This is going to be a good one!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember someone playing a randomized-door run. That was pretty nuts--it might be a good challenge run later on.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Entrance randomizer is definitely a thing. After I finish this inverted run and do a keysanity, the next parts will be some crazy stuff involving the Enemy Randomizer and the Entrance Shuffle. More on those when we get to them.

Speaking of Inverted, here is part 1!

I hope you don't mind me dying. In the future, I'm going to edit some of them out, because a 40 minute video where 10 of those minutes are deaths won't be fun to watch. But don't worry, I'll include my stat screen at the end so you can all point and laugh.

Stay tuned, this is going to get weird.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Today's update ends with me having to make a decision between two equally bad choices. Do I make the right one?

I do not.

There's plenty more coming, I've already finished part 3! As far as commentary is concerned, do you prefer live or post? Do you want me to find someone else to assist?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Today, I beat up a moth to steal his magical pearl.

After that, there's a lot to check in the light world! This episode features fewer deaths and more items.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is probably a really dumb question: I played LttP when it first came out and have futzed around very casually with earlier incarnations of the randomizer. I always thought the maidens' crystals were blue, so it's confusing to hear you talk about red crystals. Is that a distinction introduced in the randomizer? LW vs. DW dungeon, maybe?

Keep it up! I think I enjoy watching your playthrough more than playing a randomized game myself--although with two extremely long flights coming up, I might roll up a handful of roms to help the time go by. (And for what it's worth, I think your solo live commentary is fine.)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Hirayuki posted:

This is probably a really dumb question: I played LttP when it first came out and have futzed around very casually with earlier incarnations of the randomizer. I always thought the maidens' crystals were blue, so it's confusing to hear you talk about red crystals. Is that a distinction introduced in the randomizer? LW vs. DW dungeon, maybe?

Keep it up! I think I enjoy watching your playthrough more than playing a randomized game myself--although with two extremely long flights coming up, I might roll up a handful of roms to help the time go by. (And for what it's worth, I think your solo live commentary is fine.)

Basically, the randomizer colours two crystals red to indicate that acquiring them unlocks the giant bomb. In the original game, they were crystals 5 and 6.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aerdan posted:

Basically, the randomizer colours two crystals red to indicate that acquiring them unlocks the giant bomb. In the original game, they were crystals 5 and 6.
Ah, cool! Nice that it gives you some progression tips outright, beyond the "pause and squint at your items to see how far they'll get you" strategy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You gotta shotput more pots into dudes OP. That's the prostrat for things like swordless Thieves Town

GJ on Mothula tho. That stage is a huge gently caress and I have gotten trapped behind spiked blocks before.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 10, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I seem to recall that you can reflect Aganim's shots with the Butterfly Net. Is that included in logic? Can you be forced into a situation where you have to fight him with a net, because you haven't unlocked a sword, but you have nowhere else to go?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

I seem to recall that you can reflect Aganim's shots with the Butterfly Net. Is that included in logic? Can you be forced into a situation where you have to fight him with a net, because you haven't unlocked a sword, but you have nowhere else to go?

Yup! Although the chances of that happening are very slim since there are 4 sword upgrades and only one bugnet and the sword is used to open other paths, where as the bugnet is only useful for that one fight. Though if you're doing swordless mode then the bugnet is iirc the only way to beat Aga.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 10, 2019

BumSCL
Nov 5, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Yup! Although the chances of that happening are very slim since there are 4 sword upgrades and only one bugnet and the sword is used to open other paths, where as the bugnet is only useful for that one fight. Though if you're doing swordless mode then the bugnet is iirc the only way to beat Aga.
Last I checked, it was also possible to reflect Aganim's shots with the hammer as well, though the net is actually preferable since the hammer has a much smaller hitbox.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

SSNeoman posted:

I THINK it's basically impossible to require that, because there's two Agahnim fights, one of which requires a sword to get to, and one of which requires you have all seven crystals (And I don't even want to think about what logic could result in getting seven crystals without any swords, given two dungeons require the sword to even get into, and one requires it to get to the boss for sure). So, pretty much unless you're playing swordless and thus guaranteed to NOT have a sword (and curtains already cut open), you're never going to be required to use Butterfly Net against Agahnim.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The only real way that you can have a Bug Net aga is when you run swordless, which is an optional modifier. It is brutal. Of course, you can always just do it for style points.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Here's a new part for everyone! Lots of overworld checks, a visit to Turtle Rock and finally some dungeon progress!

We're starting to get to the home stretch, but where will our go mode item be?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ICE ROD ON PED

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

...yeah, the ice rod can still be on ped. I am hoping the thread title isn’t prophetic.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Today we're going into the flipper dungeons, Swamp and Ice Palace. I've also got some interesting tech to show off in the form of the Ice Palace Bomb Jump.

I'm going to show it to you twice. Why twice? Uh, no reason.

This run has been a challenge so far, but I will say that part 6 will be the end of it. Then it's time for keysanity! As always, I will link the seed so you can play along.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This staircase alone is reason enough to try and skip ice palace.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Keysanity seems like it is going to be crazy, and I am looking forward to how it breaks you. Can your progress get stopped somewhere by requiring the pendants for a key?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mage_Boy posted:

Keysanity seems like it is going to be crazy, and I am looking forward to how it breaks you. Can your progress get stopped somewhere by requiring the pendants for a key?

You mean like can the keys be on ped or something? Sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

SSNeoman posted:

You mean like can the keys be on ped or something? Sure.

So that means an item for go mode could be in a big chest, but the big key could be on ped? Ugh, keysanity does seem ridiculous.