Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mage_Boy posted:

So that means an item for go mode could be in a big chest, but the big key could be on ped? Ugh, keysanity does seem ridiculous.

YUP.

But the good news is that you have a tracker for keys in your inventory. So once you get enough of them for one dungeon just hop on in and see how far you can get. For certain modes like No Logic keysanity is actually easier than the regular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hey everyone, I found the Ice Rod. Let's go kill a pig.

Thoughts on the seed (and how I did) below in spoilers for people who haven't watched it all:

Well, that was a mess of a seed. Unlike the standard run, there was a lot of crazy stuff, not limited to a required double dip of Turtle Rock (needed to go in to get the boots, which led to the Ice Rod, which let you then beat Trinexx) and required Green Pendant Mothula for the moon pearl.

On top of that, my routing wasn't optimal. If I had planned things out better, and read the seed a bit better, I may have gotten the boots and the bow from Turtle Rock earlier and then been able to go-mode Ice Palace and Swamp Palace. In fact, I was only two chests away from the boots the first time I went up there. It's a bit of a shame.

Inverted can be very difficult, and I will not lie, I actually rolled this seed after I did a test recording of another one. That one gave me light world access in 5 minutes and basically was super linear. This one at least provided some interesting choices.

Did anyone else play this one out? I'm curious as to other's thoughts on it.

Anyways, we all survived. It's now time for a KEYSANITY run. For those uninitiated, the small keys, big keys, maps and compasses have been removed from their native dungeons and hidden throughout Hyrule. This adds extra challenge, because you need to know how many keys you need and have the big keys to finish the dungeons. Required double dips of dungeons is common, and your list of go-mode items increases by a lot. And yes, you can have Ganon's Tower Big Key hidden on the Ped. I've seen it. It's not nice.

I have rolled up a seed, and as always, am including it here for anyone who wants to play along! Here it is for those crazy people. I'll be using the Phoenix Wright sprite for this one, it's one of my favorites. As always, thank you to everyone for sticking with me and watching!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oh man, this has been an awesome watch so far. Can't wait to see how much more insane it gets.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat OP Keysanity + Randomized Sword? Alright Bush Shotput Simulator 2019 here I come.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

drat OP Keysanity + Randomized Sword? Alright Bush Shotput Simulator 2019 here I come.

I almost always go randomized swords, I will probably change that for my next run though.

For those not in the know, there are several options:

Randomized Swords - uncle provides a random item (random weapon in standard mode)

Uncle Assured - uncle always gives a sword

Swordless - no swords at all. Hammer or bust. All curtains are pre cut, hammer is needed for medallions, your life is miserable.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
I was hoping the next run would be a Cirno run, but this should still be a hoot. Keysanity... doesn't sound very sane which is why it'll be amusing to watch.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I will run as Cirno next time for sure.

Hey everyone, I have been super hyped about Keysanity so I have recorded a few parts already! Here is a steaming pile of keys for you all:

Is anyone else playing the seed too? If you are, let me know! No spoilers please. To be fair though, at this point I have probably already completed the seed or gotten fairly close, but this is more for everyone else.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
I kinda feel I should point out you've ended this session with two heart pieces collected, and two found and past on as 'not worth it'. Since you have two collected, might it be worth going and grabbing those other two now for the extra heart? Not like you've got all the shiny good gear yet to kill enemies before they can kill you.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Finally caught up on the thread, and it's always nice to see more Randomiser LPs around. LTTP is probably my favourite of the ones I've seen, especially Keysanity, despite my first run of it being one of the earlier versions of it and being impossible to finish (Ganon's Tower Big Key was in the woodcutter's cave needing Boots, while the Boots were, according to the spoiler file, in the Moldorm refight chest at the top of Ganon's Tower). Hell, the first time I actually finished Link to the Past was with the randomiser, and it was a ton of fun.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I didn't say anything but this seed is free. Flute, Pearl, Hammer, Flippers, Sword and Bottles in quick succession hoo wee

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I have a superstition that any seed generous at the start is just waiting to kick you in between the legs later. Plus, having that much stuff open at once means routing is really important. Unfortunately for me, routing isn't my strongest point. Nor is actually playing the game.

I have a short bonus for everyone right now! I have mentioned in both of my runs so far that I'm looking at my map. Then I realized that nobody else sees what I'm talking about. So I took a minute or two to go over what I see when I'm looking at the tracker. I 100% suggest you get one if you're playing the randomizer, especially if you're doing it over multiple runs. EmoTracker is awesome, and EmoSaru (the creator) is a cool person. Click on the banner below to watch the video!

Also, if you want to get the tracker for yourself, go here. Happy hunting!

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Since you asked, I just finished playing through this seed. I'm not going to comment on it to avoid any accidental spoilers, but overall I found it quite interesting. Also, why didn't you check what the great fairy would fill your empty bottles with? You had just gotten one and the fountain was right there.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Honestly? I forgot. It's certainly a trick that would be super helpful to know and remember. For those unaware: In the randomizer, if you throw an empty bottle into a great fairy pool, you'll get a bottle refill. Each bottle refill is randomized for the seed, but will be the same for each pool. So, if the waterfall fairy fills your bottle with bees, you know that every time you throw an empty bottle in there, you're going to be impersonating Nick Cage. The pyramid fairy, though, may give you blue potion. If you're in the area, it's worth remembering. Since I'm not really trying to speedrun beyond "hey, I'd like to finish this sometime this year," it is a big money save and worth going back to if the item is worth it.

Also, here is an update! Today we're going into the dark world to check out what items lie in wait for us, and I show how confusing Keysanity can be (even with a tracker) when I go up to Death Mountain.

Now that Keysanity is fully underway, I'll be looking for your votes for what run I'll do next! These are going to be really, really nutty. I'm gonna hold off for now on announcing the choices, but rest assured I will do both.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
This LP is my first encounter with the Randomizer, and it's been really interesting so far. I'm grateful for your explanatory tone. Also, your incessant optimism cracks me up every time, CC.

*gets poo poo item*
"Welp! This is good! We got a lot of checks out of the way and that's really important!"
*gets poo poo item*
"Oh no, this means we'll have to do Agahnim... but at least we got a health refill out of it!"
*the literal worst thing happens*
"Knowing is half the battle!"

I imagine you're a pleasant person to be around.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
This LP motivated me to start playing LttPR again. Uncle giving me the Hammer makes me want to die.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Thank you so much for the kind words! I know this isn't the fastest moving thread on the forums, but it's great to know people are watching and enjoying!

Personally, the uncle item I hate the most in standard mode is the bombs. They're tough to kill enemies with even if you practice, and they don't actually open up any checks. The game's logic assumes you'll always have bombs. Even the blue cane logically opens spike cave and laser bridge, and that's the second most useless item the uncle can give you.

I've got a new part recorded. We're about halfway through the run right now!

Things in the seed are going to get weird. I really like this seed, but you'll be seeing why soon. Since we are now over halfway, I'm opening the voting for the next round! When people were developing this, they decided, "Hey, we shuffled the items around, why not the...well, why not the rest of the stuff?" Thus, we have two more randomizers. Here are the options:

Crossworld Shuffle - This mode shuffles ALL the entrances around. Link's house is in the same spot, but everything else is different. Hyrule Castle might be hiding in the Kakariko library, and some of the random houses you'd never go into could be dungeons. On top of that, caves with multiple exits can now link you to the light or dark world. It's a crazy experience. This mode, if voted for will be Crossworld, Normal, Crystals. That means that Ganon's Tower may not be required. All you need to do is find the 7 crystals and then Ganon, who can be in one of multiple locations. This mode is really nutty, especially when it's paired with Keysanity. I'm not doing that yet, maybe later though.

Enemizer - This mode will randomize ALL OF THE ENEMIES in the game. It does change logic a bit, because the bosses are too. Ever want to fight Trinexx in Mothula's Room? Well, ok. That actually can't happen, but you can certainly fight Helmasaur King there! If selected, I will use Chaos mode, which means the bosses are able to appear any number of times. I've seen seeds with 3 Trinexx (ninenexx?) and Ganon's Tower is a hilarious adventure. Since otherwise this is a "normal" open mode seed, I will also make this All Dungeons which means you need to complete every dungeon AND Aganim to finish the seed.

Please bold your votes, and we'll continue voting until I post the last part of the Keysanity run.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I like Crossworld first.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Crossworld

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Crossworld

Enemizer is bad times.

Blue Link
Apr 22, 2014
Crossworld

Enemizer doesn't sound as interesting as that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

My first time beating this game was actually Keysanity. Uncle gave me a red cane and I had to fight off Mothula at low hearts with fighter sword for progress. Still had more fun than back when I got stuck on ice palace back in the day.

Anyhow, crossworld sounds more interesting out of those two. But my real vote will forever be the SMxLttP one.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Here is part 4! Today, we're going to fight that stupid moth again, but there's more! Also, I make a fairly large mistake, but don't really realize it at the time.

The mistake, spoilered for those who want to watch the video first and spot it themselves:

I should have gone straight to Trinexx, rather than go and check the big key chest. I was wrong on the logic, and the key would either be somewhere I could reasonably reach, and not somewhere like Ganon's Tower. Losing out on that key means I HAVE to find the 4th Turtle Rock small key before I can beat the game. Will that come back and haunt me? Probably, yes.

Anyways, looking at the votes so far, I have 5 for Crossworld and...*checks notes* 0 for enemizer. I'm getting that people aren't super interested in it, so rather than just have one run where people are excited to see what's happening and then another run after where people are checking out, what would you want to see? Here are the options for a race:

Swords - Swordless, Uncle Assured, Randomized

Pretty self explanatory. Swordless is just that. Uncle Assured means Uncle WILL have a sword. Randomized is what I have been running.

Goal - Defeat Ganon, All Dungeons, Triforce Hunt, Pedestal

What are we trying to do? All of our races so far have been Defeat Ganon (gather 7 crystals, climb the tower and beat Ganon) so that' probably stale. All Dungeons means everything needs to be beaten including all pendant dungeons and Aga 1. Triforce Hunt puts 40 triforce pieces in the world in place of other items, and you need 30 of them to win. Pedestal is just that. You need to get the 3 pendants and activate the pedestal to win. Because of it, it may mean a progression item is in Ganon's Tower.

Difficulty - Normal

Sorry, not going to change that. I have enough trouble without limiting myself to Master Sword or 9 hearts.

Mode - Standard, Open, Inverted

We've seen all these modes already.

Version - Keysanity, Retro, Timed OHKO

Timed OHKO introduces a clock. Once it hits zero, any hit kills you. You can collect timers in place of some items that give you more time. Retro makes arrows cost rupees and some other things but it's really complicated. Basically makes it a lot like Zelda 1.

Enemizer - Yes or No

Let me know what you would like the second run to be!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Retro Randomized Triforce hunt

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I just recommend against enemizer because those giant spike balls are thrown into the mix, and they can end up in some REALLY loving MEAN dungeon configurations. I would not run enemizer without save state abuse.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SSNeoman posted:

I just recommend against enemizer because those giant spike balls are thrown into the mix, and they can end up in some REALLY loving MEAN dungeon configurations. I would not run enemizer without save state abuse.

They can also appear under bushes. My first death in enemizer was lifting one of the bushes en route to uncle, discovering a cyclops, and immediately taking 3 hearts of damage and dying.

EDIT

On the tracker you're using, it should let you mark which medallion you need by clicking on the medallion itself, at least that seems to work for me. Or maybe right clicking? One turns it on and off, and the other will cycle between "MM" "TR" and "Both"

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 20, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

They can also appear under bushes. My first death in enemizer was lifting one of the bushes en route to uncle, discovering a cyclops, and immediately taking 3 hearts of damage and dying.

THEY SURE CAN

my first death was to one of those spiked rolling pins that was in a bush.

did you know they do 3 hearts of damage too?

I didn't.

I do now.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
I'm more interested in Crossworld then enemizer, but I do want to see an enemizer run sometime.

After the Crossworld Run, I'll agree with Aerdan's vote and put mine in for a Retro Randomized Triforce hunt.

Also, complaining about not finding any ranged weapons, 'even a boomerang', is in bad taste when you found a boomerang earlier and passed up actually bothering to get it because 'it is useless'.

Happerry fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 20, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Random Swords Retro Triforce Hunt sounds good to me too

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The insanity shuffle is... a thing. You'll enter a cave/house, discover a new area you don't want to go to, leave the same exit, and be someplace else. But then when you go back inside, you're back into the area. So it's like this weird one-way door, once.

Also, the first bushes you can enter escape from to find your uncle can lead directly to Ganon. That.... that didn't go well.

EDIT
If it's not too late to vote for sprites, I vote for Celes

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

In a previous post you said something about a post-LP supplemental where you show off A Link to the Metroid; would you be willing to show off Enemizer in that? I mean, it's a supplemental so it's not like you'd have to finish that specific run.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

You can't set any of the fancier modes in the SM/LttP randomizer, unfortunately. Heck, you can't even set sword to uncle assured. You can only set if you know Super Metroid glitches (Hard) and if you want the morph ball to be in its usual spot.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I meant in addition to the SM/LttP rando. I probably could have been clearer when writing that post.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching LttP randos for a while and I wanted to ask why nobody ever uses bombs to bust open Helmasaur's face instead of the hammer? I think it's the same speed and it's lower risk (could be wrong on both). Anybody know better?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I've been watching LttP randos for a while and I wanted to ask why nobody ever uses bombs to bust open Helmasaur's face instead of the hammer? I think it's the same speed and it's lower risk (could be wrong on both). Anybody know better?

It's slower unless you do it perfectly is why, hammer is pretty safe, fast, and consistent especially if you have a sword.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

MaskedHuzzah posted:

As a kid, I never knew you could use the hammer on Helmasaur. :downs: So many attempts were stopped because I ran out of bombs before his mask shattered. :smith:

So maybe a part of it is that the hammer doesn't run out? Or maybe it's because you get immediate results rather than having to wait for the bomb to go off?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Bombs are finite, and they're not really much faster. Helmasaur takes 5 bombs to break his mask vs 17 hammer hits. In the randomizer, that's half your bombs providing you don't miss any. Sure, you can buy an upgrade, but you're going to need the hammer to get to him in the first place.

On the other hand, in an enemizer run he might be the boss of a dungeon you can clear otherwise, and I'm unsure if the logic would require you to have the hammer to beat him. So in that case bombs might be the way to go.

I have a short one today, but it's a goodie. Enjoy!

I also made a mistake in this episode, but it actually worked out to my benefit for once. Explained below in spoilers for those who want to watch first:

I actually picked up the Swamp Palace small key in Ice Palace, but the autotracker doesn't update the small keys for some reason so I didn't add it right away. Then, when I was looking at my map later, I mistook SP as listed as D4, when it's actually D2. This meant that instead of going to Swamp, which was probably the better location due to item density, I went to Hookshot Cave and found progression. Still need that TR small key though due to my mistake last episode so I'm not in go mode, but it's coming real soon.

It looks like a Retro run is coming after Crossworld! Also, feel free to vote for the sprite I use for the Retro run. I think I might do enemizer but make it a highlights kind of thing. Otherwise it's just another open mode seed except it's trying to kill me harder.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you're doing a retro run, obviously you need NES Link.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 21, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fun seed, gg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, that's about right. I have my stats at the end of the final part.

Oh, speaking of. Here it is right now. Witness the end! I did something a little different this part. After I find all the items I need, I sped things up so the parts you've all seen before (GT, Turtle Rock for the 2nd time) were faster. I did slow down for bosses and Ganon. Let me know what you think of it? Personally, the biggest fun in the randomizer is getting to go mode. After that, beating Ganon is mostly a formality. If I end up in a weird situation like Master Sword Silverless Ganon, I'm definitely highlighting it.

Thoughts on the seed below:

So, this one was an interesting seed. Here is my final collection screen.

Putting the hookshot as the reward for Green Pendant, which required Ice Palace was pure evil. The sword upgrades were few and far between. I'm glad I didn't have to go through GT that much. Also, I never found the book so I didn't check ped. I think I routed this ok, but the biggest mistake was using that TR small key. I should have saved it and completed the game faster. I would have been able to skip Swamp completely, which would have been great. Then again, I would only have Master Sword which is annoying to fight Ganon with.

SSNeoman, what went differently? I'm curious how you routed it.

So, now it's time for Crossworld! I have already dipped inside and my brains are already mush. Here is a very brief teaser:

Interested? The seed for it can be found here. I may be employing some more editing here, because getting around is a lot tougher. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually went for Ice Palace pretty early on so I got hookshot pretty early. I mostly hosed around too much with PoD and also I made the same mistake you did with the Turtle Rock Small keys. I also hit up Ped cause I was like "eh why not" and got a mushroom out of it. I have a hell of a time finding keys and remembering where I'm supposed to go, so that's what added to my time.

Book turned out to be in Ganon's Tower. It gives blue cane and a bottle.

Also I skipped the mail in Ice palace cause I was short on keys. lemme tell you, kholstare sucks with green mail

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 22, 2019