Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm catching up and am partway through the inverted run - great samus spritework but I'm disappointed that your "dark world" form isn't a metroid.

How well do you have to have the chest locations and requirements/gating memorised to play this game? It looks fun but the last time I played ALTTP was like 15 years ago,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm catching up and am partway through the inverted run - great samus spritework but I'm disappointed that your "dark world" form isn't a metroid.

How well do you have to have the chest locations and requirements/gating memorised to play this game? It looks fun but the last time I played ALTTP was like 15 years ago,

There are item trackers that also highlight when you have access to gated checks and show about where they would be in the game.

If you go to the SA thread, they have a Discord you can join if you need help. It also has a list of trackers and stuff.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 22, 2019

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The tracker I use does let you know where all the chests are, and if you're tracking your items it shows when something is fully "in logic" by making the icon green. The bonus video shows that better. On top of that, knowing what items you need for a dungeon is just game knowledge, but not too hard to learn.

Also, the Zero Suit Samus sprite has a metroid as the dark world sprite. It is awesome.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, are you all ready for crossworld? I know I am! Here is part one of...well, not sure yet. It'll be a bunch. I've never personally done a crossworld run before, though I've watched a few. Without further ado:

I'm also going to include the map I've created so far. It'll be in spoilers so that people who haven't watched yet won't see it.

Key:
Hammer - Mimic Cave
Powder - Magic Bat
Lamp - Connector that's in the dark room. Seriously, there's enough of them it's hard without the lamp to figure them out. Could be old man's cave, could be something else. We'll find out later, together.
E - Eastern Palace
H - Tower of Hera
IP - Ice Palace
TT - Thieves' Town
D - One of the many Desert Palace Entrances
Hy - One of the many Hyrule Castle Entrances
Any number - Connector cave/building/whatever. The corresponding number is where they connect to.

We'll be filling in that map more soon. I'll see you all soon with part 2! Let me know what you think!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh man, that sprite is adorable. I might have to play Cirno now.

Also, this is probably my favorite mode because nothing says random like getting totally lost and turned around constantly.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

You know, I always say "Hey, let's give some time before I post my next part," but then I get super excited because I love this game and want to show it off. Hopefully I've inspired a few people to start playing it too! Here is part 2 of Crossworld Shuffle:

This one is interesting. We're still trying to find everything, but we do get some progression! Here's the maps, spoiled as usual:

Key:
Hammer - Mimic Cave
Powder - Magic Bat
Lamp - Connector that's in the dark room. Seriously, there's enough of them it's hard without the lamp to figure them out. Could be old man's cave, could be something else. We'll find out later, together.
E - Eastern Palace
H - Tower of Hera
IP - Ice Palace
TT - Thieves' Town
D - One of the many Desert Palace Entrances
Hy - One of the many Hyrule Castle Entrances
Any number - Connector cave/building/whatever. The corresponding number is where they connect to.

Remember, our next run is going to be Retro, but I still need a sprite! I have one vote for Retro Link and one vote for Celes. The sprite list is pretty extensive, but if you click the link to one of the seeds I've posted, you can see them all. We've still got quite a ways to go though, so stick around for more crossworld shuffle!

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
I'll split the vote even more, and vote for playing as Zelda in the retro run! Also couldn't you have upgraded your boomerang in the Pyramid Fairy room?

Happerry fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 25, 2019

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
If we're going Retro mode, might as well go NES Link.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gonna vote for Retro Link

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'll vote Retro Link.

How can you tell that one specific heart container is the one from Sanctuary?

Edit: I'm also curious what that item was at 15:20 in the video. I don't recognize it.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 26, 2019

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

KieranWalker posted:

I'll vote Retro Link.

How can you tell that one specific heart container is the one from Sanctuary?

Edit: I'm also curious what that item was at 15:20 in the video. I don't recognize it.

The Sanc Heart (or Sanctuary Heart if you want to be pedantic) is the only heart container that refills all of your hearts when you pick it up. All the other heart containers only give you one more full heart. I think the reasoning is that all the crystals/pendants give you a full health/magic refill, so the heart containers don't have to do anything. However, this would cause issues if you were low on health after Sanctuary and the escape, so they coded that one to refill your hearts. It's fun to notice, but doesn't really affect things too much in game.

At 15:20, that wasn't an item. It was a dark world character that would give you a hint for 20 rupees. I knew when I saw that the entrance wasn't leading anywhere useful, so I left.

New part coming soon!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's time to get dark world access, but not in the way you normally expect!

Maps below:

I did a good think afterwards, and the game's logic really did rely on going through almost all of Misery Mire just for the Moon Pearl. Given where the lamp is, the connector caves that could lead to dark world aren't in logic, and Aga requires the lamp to be in logic. Plus, we actually don't know WHERE Aga is. Need to find that guy before we can finish the seed though.

I've seen some crazy things, and this is near the top. Do note we do not yet have gloves so we don't have Actual Dark World Access. Depending on where they are, we may not even get them until later on. We do need at least one glove for IP, so we know we'll find one. Somewhere. I love crossworld.

We have made some great progress! Stick around, because the world is opening up!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's time for part 4! This one gives us almost everything we need, and there's only one more part to go! Also, a bridge full of lasers is involved. Don't worry, I don't die to it this time. No, think stupider.

Maps below:

Finding Turtle Rock was great, but I don't know where the 3rd and 4th entrances are. Also, those glove locations are nuts. We'll have to check the rest of the PoD area, but I don't think there were any connectors that led to that side of the dark world, so we really needed to go through Village of Outcasts and walk ourselves to the pyramid to get our glove. Or do Turtle Rock backwards. It's crazy, but neat.

It looks pretty decided, next run is Triforce Hunt Retro mode with NES Link! I'll start that after I finish this run, which is almost done. Thanks for sticking around!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Can you cheat the racegame by mirroring to the prize?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Can you cheat the racegame by mirroring to the prize?

You can’t, the guy will yell at you if you do. But you can mirror to the start like I did and run through it normally.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Huh. Neat.

Also is the blue cane basically an all-around improved Magic Cape?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SSNeoman posted:

Huh. Neat.

Also is the blue cane basically an all-around improved Magic Cape?

Basically, except that the cape has a glitch where it doesn't use any magic if you're holding on to a wall. You need it to get into bumper cave as well.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The cape is actually required for one check and one check only: Bumper Cave. If there's an item you need up there, you'll need the cape. The Blue Cane (Cane of Byrna) isn't really required for anything, but having it + a bottle or half magic gives you Spike Cave, having it puts laser bridge in logic, and it's not a bad weapon. It does damage and it lasts longer than the cape. I kind of like it. Unless its the uncle weapon in Standard mode. Then it stinks.

We have the final part for Crossworld today! I have two versions for you. For those of you who love to hear me ramble, you can watch the unabridged version. It's long, I'll warn you, but it shows everything that happens, no cuts. No buts. For those who have seen it all before, I have Abridged. After I hit Go Mode, it just shows the boss highlights. Pick your poison!

Thoughts on the seed below:

I liked Crossworld. I did end up checking a lot of spots, but is hard not to. I did manage to avoid double dipping a lot of places. I'm actually surprised it worked out. I was ready to do an episode titled "I am going to swamp palace because I'm dumb," but it never materialized. However, crossworld takes a lot out of me. It's hard to track and if you do it over multiple days you forget a lot. Thankfully I had video to review, but still. This is something I'd do once in a while, but it was fun to show off. Anyone else play this one? Did you have fun?

Next up is Retro Triforce Hunt! It'll be nice to play a normal...ish game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Green Mail Kholdstare is rough and I never want to do it again

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Enemizer sounds like it'd be neat to see in action. Maybe not so much to play through.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Enemizer sounds like it'd be neat to see in action. Maybe not so much to play through.

sounds to me like it would make for a hilarious highlight reel of deaths and unfortunate surprises, especially if paired with the right music

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

imagine a turtle rock spike rolling pin popping out of a bush

forever

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
This talk is just reminding me of Ganondorf popping up randomly in the overworld during Artix's playthrough of Wind Waker Chaos Mode.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hello there everyone! Are you ready for retro?

Normally I would send you the seed to play along. I'm not going to do that for this one, for...uh, reasons. This was fun to do especially because it wasn't as mentally taxing as crossworld. I appreciate that!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Good timing for the hammer.

I like twenty triforce mode. It's really chill since you're given a lot of leeway for completion.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Do we need the moon pearl for the chest game? Or is village of outcasts inaccessible if you cannot use the sword?

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
I'm surprised it's taken so long, but this is the first seed you actually got the upgraded boomerang.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's time for part 2 of the retro mode! Join us next time for...uh...

That was super linear, and it kind of shows off why triforce hunt can be very short. I didn't mind it too much though!

Next time, we're going to start the finale. If you're brave enough, you can get the seed here. That's right. It's an Inverted, All Dungeons, Uncle Assured, Keysanity, HARD Mode, With Enemizer enabled (chaos bosses and enemy shuffle). That means it's going to be fun to watch and hell to play. Join me if you want!

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
If possible, I'd like to vote for using the Zelda Sprite for the finale.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Happerry posted:

If possible, I'd like to vote for using the Zelda Sprite for the finale.

:emptyquote:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Well that was a fun seed, most difficult one I've played since I'm not used to well, any of the alternate modes except keysanity here. It was fun, could've been much faster if I didn't die oh, 15 times on Ganon because I was being stubborn and refusing to go buy potions, or if I didn't forget how inverted worked and spent time wandering aimlessly not remmebering locations I had access to.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Retro Link looks so cute with his Pegasus Boots and sword. :3:

Like he's just holding onto the sword as it rushes off ahead of him and shouting "HALP! Make it stop!"

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I can't wait to see this crazy finale. I've been enjoying everything so far. Don't think I'll every try a randomized run myself, but you never know. This lp certainly makes me consider it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was inspired by your Triforce Hunt run to whip up my own ROM, but the customizer keeps failing at placing "prizes" in one of a handful of locations. Boo :(

By the way, what does the CODE line of game items mean at the top of the load screen?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hirayuki posted:

I was inspired by your Triforce Hunt run to whip up my own ROM, but the customizer keeps failing at placing "prizes" in one of a handful of locations. Boo :(

By the way, what does the CODE line of game items mean at the top of the load screen?

Pretty sure it's a representation of the seed, so you can tell at a glance if you're using the same seed as say someone you're racing.

This thread's got me interested in trying some rando but I thought I should run through vanilla again first. Turns out I've watched enough rando to know my way through the game despite not knowing where anything is supposed to be nor having played it in a decade.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Are you trying a plando? For those unaware, you can actually plan out the placement of items, creating your own seed. Those are called "plandos," because they're planned randomizer runs. I'm using Generate A Seed to create mine. I don't actually determine where the items are placed.

I'm glad I inspired some people to play! Let's remedy that with this horrible seed:

We're off! We may not have to do Aga! (yet. This is still All Dungeons) Blue mail even! This is going to be great. Right? Right? RIGHT?

Also, I didn't really hold this to a vote. I chose to run as the eggplant because I like the sprite. I did not realize what it represented until I saw the peach. Incidentally, that kind of indicates my age, doesn't it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Capitalism posted:

Also, I didn't really hold this to a vote. I chose to run as the eggplant because I like the sprite. I did not realize what it represented until I saw the peach. Incidentally, that kind of indicates my age, doesn't it?

I don't see a problem given the subject matter

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Man, hearing you list off all the changes in Hard Mode, I'm glad I never played it. Mostly because it's an infuriating list of decisions.

Rather than nerf items that are good for lots of reasons and have utility (Hookshot, etc), they just....... took the use out of items that already had limited use already (Boomerangs, butterfly net)? That's more "Asinine" than hard.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Man, hearing you list off all the changes in Hard Mode, I'm glad I never played it. Mostly because it's an infuriating list of decisions.

Rather than nerf items that are good for lots of reasons and have utility (Hookshot, etc), they just....... took the use out of items that already had limited use already (Boomerangs, butterfly net)? That's more "Asinine" than hard.

Well, apparently the Hookshot also loses the stunning ability in even higher difficulties. Still a bit wonky, there's a chart of changes right here under the Difficulty Comparison section.

edit: Okay, the eggplant getting chopped up on death is really cute.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hard mode basically removes safety, but it's not the highest difficulty. There's Expert and Insane. They get worse. Insane mode basically limits you to 3 hearts and I'm pretty sure makes Link impotent for no reason.

Thankfully, I'm not on that mode. Let's check out Paradox Cave today!

We're not at rock bottom yet. That's coming.