Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

What is the Link to the Past Randomizer?

The Link to the Past Randomizer (LTTPR, or just Randomizer) is a hack of the version 1 Link to the Past game put together by the people in the banner above. This hack moves all the items in the game around, which makes Link to the Past a little bit more difficult and dynamic. It's big in the speedrunning crowd, mostly because no game is the same, and you can't just memorize what the best tricks are and then replicate them. You need to figure out the best route to take and have knowledge of what items you need to complete each dungeon.

Plus, there are sometimes crazy chains of items that lead to implausible strategies. A required double dip of Turtle Rock because you need to grab the mirror to get the shovel to dig up the Ice Rod? It'll happen. Finding the Master Bombos Medallion on the Pedestal? Your uncle turns out to be an arsonist with the fire rod? All things that can and will come up.

That sounds kind of fun, how do I get in on this?

You can learn more at the randomizer's web page as well as instructions on how to get started. There's also a discord, where the people will help you out. If you want to run this game, there's tournaments happening all the time, as well as daily races using different settings.

What's that weird thing next to the screen?

That's my tracker. Since everything is randomized, you need to know what items unlock certain locations. The tracker lets me keep...well, track of what items I have and what locations I've visited. I'm using EmoSaru's tracker software. I'm also using the Autotracker so it keeps track of items for me. Saves me time and energy. Keep in mind this isn't legal for speedruns, but something casual like this is just fine!

What is the goal of this LP?

I want to show off several different modes. The randomizer itself has several different ways to play, all with their own quirks. I'll be doing my first run using the following settings:

Standard Mode
Defeat Ganon
Normal Difficulty

Basically, the goal is to collect the 7 crystals and then defeat Ganon after climbing his tower. Normal difficulty means it's essentially the base game, other difficulties remove items from the pool and make some other changes. After this run, I'll open it up to a vote, including some of the crazier settings. These may include, but are not limited to: Playing the game starting in the dark world, having keys shuffled throughout the world and having enemies randomized as well as the items!

Run 1: Standard, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords

(note: The first half of this video has the commentary a half second ahead due to a technical issue, other videos do not have this problem)

Run 2: Inverted, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords

Seed can be found here

Run 3: Open, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords, Keysanity

Seed can be found here

Run 4: Open, Crystals, Normal, Crossworld Entrance Shuffler
may god have mercy on my soul

Seed can be found here.

Run 5: Open, Retro, Triforce Hunt

Final Run: Inverted, Hard, Uncle Assured, Keysanity, All Dungeons with Enemizer (chaos bosses and enemy shuffle)

Seed is here. THIS IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Hell, this isn't for me. I'm just doing this because I'm a masochist.

Bonus!

What tracker am I using? What does it look like?

Captain Capitalism fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hey everyone!

I've already fully recorded my standard run, so these updates will come a little bit faster. In fact, here's another one now!

That being said, I need your help!

What kind of run do you want to see next?

The first run was to show off some of the basics of randomizer, but this time we're going to get a little crazy. Here are the options:

Inverted - New in v30 of the randomizer, you start in the dark world. Everything is flipped, and a lot of the game logic is changed because of it. It's a mode that starts out fairly difficult, but can be a lot of fun.
Keysanity - Unlike in normal modes where the maps, compasses and keys are in their respective dungeons, Keysanity puts them all throughout the world. Ganon's big key might be in Ice Rod Cave, and good luck finding that one Swamp Palace key. Longer seeds in general, but also usually interesting.

I'll also be doing something different this time and providing the seed to people who want to play it along with me. NO SPOILERS for those that do, not even a wink wink, nudge nudge type of thing. Give me your votes, and, if you want, let me know what sprite you want me to use. Did I mention there's a lot of sprites to use? There's a ton.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

An angel descended from the heavens and gave me a golden scroll that said "Hey dumbass, if you're going to take notes, consider reading them."

Then I blacked out and when I woke up, this was processed and ready to go:

There is only one more part remaining in this particular run, so your chance to vote for Inverted or Keysanity is almost up! So far it looks like I'm going to be having some fun in the dark world, but that might change.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

In the second video, you called the room under the grave with the magic cape (in vanilla) the "king's grave", and a separate cave west of Link's house (if I remember correctly) cave number 45, or something along those lines. Is there some kind of naming convention that people use to refer to locations? If so, how did these names get determined, and is there a list of them?

That's a good point!

Most of the locations are self explanatory, like Thieves' Town and Turtle Rock, but there's a lot of names for the overworld locations.

Cave 45 is named that because on one of the original maps of ALTTP, they had it labeled as "Cave 45" in the files, and the name stuck. It's also sometimes called South of Grove (it's south of the grove with the digging spot) as well.

King's Tomb is the spot next to the graveyard ledge. I don't know if it's said in the game somewhere.

Superbunny cave is the cave on east Dark Death Mountain, it's called that because if you have a mirror, you can cause a glitch that allows you to open those two chests even if you don't have the Moon Pearl.

Mire Shack is the small area with 2 chests right next to Mire

I'll try to be more clear with the names in future videos! In other news, I'll be posting the last part today and then I'll be rolling up my next seed, which I'm going to share with everyone in the thread if they want to play along. NO SPOILERS however, not even the wink wink nudge nudge kind. Looks like Inverted is currently in the lead. However, don't worry. Whatever loses out will be my third run. They're both important enough to warrant showing off.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Paradox cave is definitely an important one, since it has 7 items in it. I think I tried to explain it. It's really something that needs to be seen.

Here is the last part of our standard run! How many times do you think I'll get knocked out of the arena by Ganon?

I've also tallied our votes, and it looks like Inverted will be our next run! I'll be using the Samus sprite. You can find the seed that we'll be using right here. Feel free to play along! This time, I'm doing commentary live, so we'll all find out how much the game hates me together. Please, no spoilers on where items are, especially because I forgot to roll that seed with spoilers turned off. Resist the temptation!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Geemer posted:

Am I too late to vote you try to get the screw attack from your uncle instead and then fight Kraid for the silver arrows?

I love that randomizer and would love to make a video on it but I'm not great at Super Metroid and all the little tricks you need to know to be efficient in Super Metroid/Link to the Past Randomizer.

Maybe a supplemental video after all the runs for this LP. As far as the inverted seed, I've played through the first bit and I'm doing live commentary for this one so I'm not spoiled ahead of time. This is going to be a good one!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Entrance randomizer is definitely a thing. After I finish this inverted run and do a keysanity, the next parts will be some crazy stuff involving the Enemy Randomizer and the Entrance Shuffle. More on those when we get to them.

Speaking of Inverted, here is part 1!

I hope you don't mind me dying. In the future, I'm going to edit some of them out, because a 40 minute video where 10 of those minutes are deaths won't be fun to watch. But don't worry, I'll include my stat screen at the end so you can all point and laugh.

Stay tuned, this is going to get weird.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Today's update ends with me having to make a decision between two equally bad choices. Do I make the right one?

I do not.

There's plenty more coming, I've already finished part 3! As far as commentary is concerned, do you prefer live or post? Do you want me to find someone else to assist?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Today, I beat up a moth to steal his magical pearl.

After that, there's a lot to check in the light world! This episode features fewer deaths and more items.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The only real way that you can have a Bug Net aga is when you run swordless, which is an optional modifier. It is brutal. Of course, you can always just do it for style points.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Here's a new part for everyone! Lots of overworld checks, a visit to Turtle Rock and finally some dungeon progress!

We're starting to get to the home stretch, but where will our go mode item be?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

...yeah, the ice rod can still be on ped. I am hoping the thread title isn’t prophetic.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Today we're going into the flipper dungeons, Swamp and Ice Palace. I've also got some interesting tech to show off in the form of the Ice Palace Bomb Jump.

I'm going to show it to you twice. Why twice? Uh, no reason.

This run has been a challenge so far, but I will say that part 6 will be the end of it. Then it's time for keysanity! As always, I will link the seed so you can play along.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hey everyone, I found the Ice Rod. Let's go kill a pig.

Thoughts on the seed (and how I did) below in spoilers for people who haven't watched it all:

Well, that was a mess of a seed. Unlike the standard run, there was a lot of crazy stuff, not limited to a required double dip of Turtle Rock (needed to go in to get the boots, which led to the Ice Rod, which let you then beat Trinexx) and required Green Pendant Mothula for the moon pearl.

On top of that, my routing wasn't optimal. If I had planned things out better, and read the seed a bit better, I may have gotten the boots and the bow from Turtle Rock earlier and then been able to go-mode Ice Palace and Swamp Palace. In fact, I was only two chests away from the boots the first time I went up there. It's a bit of a shame.

Inverted can be very difficult, and I will not lie, I actually rolled this seed after I did a test recording of another one. That one gave me light world access in 5 minutes and basically was super linear. This one at least provided some interesting choices.

Did anyone else play this one out? I'm curious as to other's thoughts on it.

Anyways, we all survived. It's now time for a KEYSANITY run. For those uninitiated, the small keys, big keys, maps and compasses have been removed from their native dungeons and hidden throughout Hyrule. This adds extra challenge, because you need to know how many keys you need and have the big keys to finish the dungeons. Required double dips of dungeons is common, and your list of go-mode items increases by a lot. And yes, you can have Ganon's Tower Big Key hidden on the Ped. I've seen it. It's not nice.

I have rolled up a seed, and as always, am including it here for anyone who wants to play along! Here it is for those crazy people. I'll be using the Phoenix Wright sprite for this one, it's one of my favorites. As always, thank you to everyone for sticking with me and watching!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

drat OP Keysanity + Randomized Sword? Alright Bush Shotput Simulator 2019 here I come.

I almost always go randomized swords, I will probably change that for my next run though.

For those not in the know, there are several options:

Randomized Swords - uncle provides a random item (random weapon in standard mode)

Uncle Assured - uncle always gives a sword

Swordless - no swords at all. Hammer or bust. All curtains are pre cut, hammer is needed for medallions, your life is miserable.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I will run as Cirno next time for sure.

Hey everyone, I have been super hyped about Keysanity so I have recorded a few parts already! Here is a steaming pile of keys for you all:

Is anyone else playing the seed too? If you are, let me know! No spoilers please. To be fair though, at this point I have probably already completed the seed or gotten fairly close, but this is more for everyone else.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I have a superstition that any seed generous at the start is just waiting to kick you in between the legs later. Plus, having that much stuff open at once means routing is really important. Unfortunately for me, routing isn't my strongest point. Nor is actually playing the game.

I have a short bonus for everyone right now! I have mentioned in both of my runs so far that I'm looking at my map. Then I realized that nobody else sees what I'm talking about. So I took a minute or two to go over what I see when I'm looking at the tracker. I 100% suggest you get one if you're playing the randomizer, especially if you're doing it over multiple runs. EmoTracker is awesome, and EmoSaru (the creator) is a cool person. Click on the banner below to watch the video!

Also, if you want to get the tracker for yourself, go here. Happy hunting!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Honestly? I forgot. It's certainly a trick that would be super helpful to know and remember. For those unaware: In the randomizer, if you throw an empty bottle into a great fairy pool, you'll get a bottle refill. Each bottle refill is randomized for the seed, but will be the same for each pool. So, if the waterfall fairy fills your bottle with bees, you know that every time you throw an empty bottle in there, you're going to be impersonating Nick Cage. The pyramid fairy, though, may give you blue potion. If you're in the area, it's worth remembering. Since I'm not really trying to speedrun beyond "hey, I'd like to finish this sometime this year," it is a big money save and worth going back to if the item is worth it.

Also, here is an update! Today we're going into the dark world to check out what items lie in wait for us, and I show how confusing Keysanity can be (even with a tracker) when I go up to Death Mountain.

Now that Keysanity is fully underway, I'll be looking for your votes for what run I'll do next! These are going to be really, really nutty. I'm gonna hold off for now on announcing the choices, but rest assured I will do both.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Thank you so much for the kind words! I know this isn't the fastest moving thread on the forums, but it's great to know people are watching and enjoying!

Personally, the uncle item I hate the most in standard mode is the bombs. They're tough to kill enemies with even if you practice, and they don't actually open up any checks. The game's logic assumes you'll always have bombs. Even the blue cane logically opens spike cave and laser bridge, and that's the second most useless item the uncle can give you.

I've got a new part recorded. We're about halfway through the run right now!

Things in the seed are going to get weird. I really like this seed, but you'll be seeing why soon. Since we are now over halfway, I'm opening the voting for the next round! When people were developing this, they decided, "Hey, we shuffled the items around, why not the...well, why not the rest of the stuff?" Thus, we have two more randomizers. Here are the options:

Crossworld Shuffle - This mode shuffles ALL the entrances around. Link's house is in the same spot, but everything else is different. Hyrule Castle might be hiding in the Kakariko library, and some of the random houses you'd never go into could be dungeons. On top of that, caves with multiple exits can now link you to the light or dark world. It's a crazy experience. This mode, if voted for will be Crossworld, Normal, Crystals. That means that Ganon's Tower may not be required. All you need to do is find the 7 crystals and then Ganon, who can be in one of multiple locations. This mode is really nutty, especially when it's paired with Keysanity. I'm not doing that yet, maybe later though.

Enemizer - This mode will randomize ALL OF THE ENEMIES in the game. It does change logic a bit, because the bosses are too. Ever want to fight Trinexx in Mothula's Room? Well, ok. That actually can't happen, but you can certainly fight Helmasaur King there! If selected, I will use Chaos mode, which means the bosses are able to appear any number of times. I've seen seeds with 3 Trinexx (ninenexx?) and Ganon's Tower is a hilarious adventure. Since otherwise this is a "normal" open mode seed, I will also make this All Dungeons which means you need to complete every dungeon AND Aganim to finish the seed.

Please bold your votes, and we'll continue voting until I post the last part of the Keysanity run.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Here is part 4! Today, we're going to fight that stupid moth again, but there's more! Also, I make a fairly large mistake, but don't really realize it at the time.

The mistake, spoilered for those who want to watch the video first and spot it themselves:

I should have gone straight to Trinexx, rather than go and check the big key chest. I was wrong on the logic, and the key would either be somewhere I could reasonably reach, and not somewhere like Ganon's Tower. Losing out on that key means I HAVE to find the 4th Turtle Rock small key before I can beat the game. Will that come back and haunt me? Probably, yes.

Anyways, looking at the votes so far, I have 5 for Crossworld and...*checks notes* 0 for enemizer. I'm getting that people aren't super interested in it, so rather than just have one run where people are excited to see what's happening and then another run after where people are checking out, what would you want to see? Here are the options for a race:

Swords - Swordless, Uncle Assured, Randomized

Pretty self explanatory. Swordless is just that. Uncle Assured means Uncle WILL have a sword. Randomized is what I have been running.

Goal - Defeat Ganon, All Dungeons, Triforce Hunt, Pedestal

What are we trying to do? All of our races so far have been Defeat Ganon (gather 7 crystals, climb the tower and beat Ganon) so that' probably stale. All Dungeons means everything needs to be beaten including all pendant dungeons and Aga 1. Triforce Hunt puts 40 triforce pieces in the world in place of other items, and you need 30 of them to win. Pedestal is just that. You need to get the 3 pendants and activate the pedestal to win. Because of it, it may mean a progression item is in Ganon's Tower.

Difficulty - Normal

Sorry, not going to change that. I have enough trouble without limiting myself to Master Sword or 9 hearts.

Mode - Standard, Open, Inverted

We've seen all these modes already.

Version - Keysanity, Retro, Timed OHKO

Timed OHKO introduces a clock. Once it hits zero, any hit kills you. You can collect timers in place of some items that give you more time. Retro makes arrows cost rupees and some other things but it's really complicated. Basically makes it a lot like Zelda 1.

Enemizer - Yes or No

Let me know what you would like the second run to be!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Bombs are finite, and they're not really much faster. Helmasaur takes 5 bombs to break his mask vs 17 hammer hits. In the randomizer, that's half your bombs providing you don't miss any. Sure, you can buy an upgrade, but you're going to need the hammer to get to him in the first place.

On the other hand, in an enemizer run he might be the boss of a dungeon you can clear otherwise, and I'm unsure if the logic would require you to have the hammer to beat him. So in that case bombs might be the way to go.

I have a short one today, but it's a goodie. Enjoy!

I also made a mistake in this episode, but it actually worked out to my benefit for once. Explained below in spoilers for those who want to watch first:

I actually picked up the Swamp Palace small key in Ice Palace, but the autotracker doesn't update the small keys for some reason so I didn't add it right away. Then, when I was looking at my map later, I mistook SP as listed as D4, when it's actually D2. This meant that instead of going to Swamp, which was probably the better location due to item density, I went to Hookshot Cave and found progression. Still need that TR small key though due to my mistake last episode so I'm not in go mode, but it's coming real soon.

It looks like a Retro run is coming after Crossworld! Also, feel free to vote for the sprite I use for the Retro run. I think I might do enemizer but make it a highlights kind of thing. Otherwise it's just another open mode seed except it's trying to kill me harder.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, that's about right. I have my stats at the end of the final part.

Oh, speaking of. Here it is right now. Witness the end! I did something a little different this part. After I find all the items I need, I sped things up so the parts you've all seen before (GT, Turtle Rock for the 2nd time) were faster. I did slow down for bosses and Ganon. Let me know what you think of it? Personally, the biggest fun in the randomizer is getting to go mode. After that, beating Ganon is mostly a formality. If I end up in a weird situation like Master Sword Silverless Ganon, I'm definitely highlighting it.

Thoughts on the seed below:

So, this one was an interesting seed. Here is my final collection screen.

Putting the hookshot as the reward for Green Pendant, which required Ice Palace was pure evil. The sword upgrades were few and far between. I'm glad I didn't have to go through GT that much. Also, I never found the book so I didn't check ped. I think I routed this ok, but the biggest mistake was using that TR small key. I should have saved it and completed the game faster. I would have been able to skip Swamp completely, which would have been great. Then again, I would only have Master Sword which is annoying to fight Ganon with.

SSNeoman, what went differently? I'm curious how you routed it.

So, now it's time for Crossworld! I have already dipped inside and my brains are already mush. Here is a very brief teaser:

Interested? The seed for it can be found here. I may be employing some more editing here, because getting around is a lot tougher. Good luck!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The tracker I use does let you know where all the chests are, and if you're tracking your items it shows when something is fully "in logic" by making the icon green. The bonus video shows that better. On top of that, knowing what items you need for a dungeon is just game knowledge, but not too hard to learn.

Also, the Zero Suit Samus sprite has a metroid as the dark world sprite. It is awesome.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

So, are you all ready for crossworld? I know I am! Here is part one of...well, not sure yet. It'll be a bunch. I've never personally done a crossworld run before, though I've watched a few. Without further ado:

I'm also going to include the map I've created so far. It'll be in spoilers so that people who haven't watched yet won't see it.

Key:
Hammer - Mimic Cave
Powder - Magic Bat
Lamp - Connector that's in the dark room. Seriously, there's enough of them it's hard without the lamp to figure them out. Could be old man's cave, could be something else. We'll find out later, together.
E - Eastern Palace
H - Tower of Hera
IP - Ice Palace
TT - Thieves' Town
D - One of the many Desert Palace Entrances
Hy - One of the many Hyrule Castle Entrances
Any number - Connector cave/building/whatever. The corresponding number is where they connect to.

We'll be filling in that map more soon. I'll see you all soon with part 2! Let me know what you think!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

You know, I always say "Hey, let's give some time before I post my next part," but then I get super excited because I love this game and want to show it off. Hopefully I've inspired a few people to start playing it too! Here is part 2 of Crossworld Shuffle:

This one is interesting. We're still trying to find everything, but we do get some progression! Here's the maps, spoiled as usual:

Key:
Hammer - Mimic Cave
Powder - Magic Bat
Lamp - Connector that's in the dark room. Seriously, there's enough of them it's hard without the lamp to figure them out. Could be old man's cave, could be something else. We'll find out later, together.
E - Eastern Palace
H - Tower of Hera
IP - Ice Palace
TT - Thieves' Town
D - One of the many Desert Palace Entrances
Hy - One of the many Hyrule Castle Entrances
Any number - Connector cave/building/whatever. The corresponding number is where they connect to.

Remember, our next run is going to be Retro, but I still need a sprite! I have one vote for Retro Link and one vote for Celes. The sprite list is pretty extensive, but if you click the link to one of the seeds I've posted, you can see them all. We've still got quite a ways to go though, so stick around for more crossworld shuffle!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

KieranWalker posted:

I'll vote Retro Link.

How can you tell that one specific heart container is the one from Sanctuary?

Edit: I'm also curious what that item was at 15:20 in the video. I don't recognize it.

The Sanc Heart (or Sanctuary Heart if you want to be pedantic) is the only heart container that refills all of your hearts when you pick it up. All the other heart containers only give you one more full heart. I think the reasoning is that all the crystals/pendants give you a full health/magic refill, so the heart containers don't have to do anything. However, this would cause issues if you were low on health after Sanctuary and the escape, so they coded that one to refill your hearts. It's fun to notice, but doesn't really affect things too much in game.

At 15:20, that wasn't an item. It was a dark world character that would give you a hint for 20 rupees. I knew when I saw that the entrance wasn't leading anywhere useful, so I left.

New part coming soon!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's time to get dark world access, but not in the way you normally expect!

Maps below:

I did a good think afterwards, and the game's logic really did rely on going through almost all of Misery Mire just for the Moon Pearl. Given where the lamp is, the connector caves that could lead to dark world aren't in logic, and Aga requires the lamp to be in logic. Plus, we actually don't know WHERE Aga is. Need to find that guy before we can finish the seed though.

I've seen some crazy things, and this is near the top. Do note we do not yet have gloves so we don't have Actual Dark World Access. Depending on where they are, we may not even get them until later on. We do need at least one glove for IP, so we know we'll find one. Somewhere. I love crossworld.

We have made some great progress! Stick around, because the world is opening up!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's time for part 4! This one gives us almost everything we need, and there's only one more part to go! Also, a bridge full of lasers is involved. Don't worry, I don't die to it this time. No, think stupider.

Maps below:

Finding Turtle Rock was great, but I don't know where the 3rd and 4th entrances are. Also, those glove locations are nuts. We'll have to check the rest of the PoD area, but I don't think there were any connectors that led to that side of the dark world, so we really needed to go through Village of Outcasts and walk ourselves to the pyramid to get our glove. Or do Turtle Rock backwards. It's crazy, but neat.

It looks pretty decided, next run is Triforce Hunt Retro mode with NES Link! I'll start that after I finish this run, which is almost done. Thanks for sticking around!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Can you cheat the racegame by mirroring to the prize?

You can’t, the guy will yell at you if you do. But you can mirror to the start like I did and run through it normally.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

The cape is actually required for one check and one check only: Bumper Cave. If there's an item you need up there, you'll need the cape. The Blue Cane (Cane of Byrna) isn't really required for anything, but having it + a bottle or half magic gives you Spike Cave, having it puts laser bridge in logic, and it's not a bad weapon. It does damage and it lasts longer than the cape. I kind of like it. Unless its the uncle weapon in Standard mode. Then it stinks.

We have the final part for Crossworld today! I have two versions for you. For those of you who love to hear me ramble, you can watch the unabridged version. It's long, I'll warn you, but it shows everything that happens, no cuts. No buts. For those who have seen it all before, I have Abridged. After I hit Go Mode, it just shows the boss highlights. Pick your poison!

Thoughts on the seed below:

I liked Crossworld. I did end up checking a lot of spots, but is hard not to. I did manage to avoid double dipping a lot of places. I'm actually surprised it worked out. I was ready to do an episode titled "I am going to swamp palace because I'm dumb," but it never materialized. However, crossworld takes a lot out of me. It's hard to track and if you do it over multiple days you forget a lot. Thankfully I had video to review, but still. This is something I'd do once in a while, but it was fun to show off. Anyone else play this one? Did you have fun?

Next up is Retro Triforce Hunt! It'll be nice to play a normal...ish game.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hello there everyone! Are you ready for retro?

Normally I would send you the seed to play along. I'm not going to do that for this one, for...uh, reasons. This was fun to do especially because it wasn't as mentally taxing as crossworld. I appreciate that!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's time for part 2 of the retro mode! Join us next time for...uh...

That was super linear, and it kind of shows off why triforce hunt can be very short. I didn't mind it too much though!

Next time, we're going to start the finale. If you're brave enough, you can get the seed here. That's right. It's an Inverted, All Dungeons, Uncle Assured, Keysanity, HARD Mode, With Enemizer enabled (chaos bosses and enemy shuffle). That means it's going to be fun to watch and hell to play. Join me if you want!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Are you trying a plando? For those unaware, you can actually plan out the placement of items, creating your own seed. Those are called "plandos," because they're planned randomizer runs. I'm using Generate A Seed to create mine. I don't actually determine where the items are placed.

I'm glad I inspired some people to play! Let's remedy that with this horrible seed:

We're off! We may not have to do Aga! (yet. This is still All Dungeons) Blue mail even! This is going to be great. Right? Right? RIGHT?

Also, I didn't really hold this to a vote. I chose to run as the eggplant because I like the sprite. I did not realize what it represented until I saw the peach. Incidentally, that kind of indicates my age, doesn't it?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hard mode basically removes safety, but it's not the highest difficulty. There's Expert and Insane. They get worse. Insane mode basically limits you to 3 hearts and I'm pretty sure makes Link impotent for no reason.

Thankfully, I'm not on that mode. Let's check out Paradox Cave today!

We're not at rock bottom yet. That's coming.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

You know what you all needed? MORE EYES.

That's right. We got an eye thing in Misery Mire. It's not the same eye thing that's normally in Misery Mire, but that's ok. We also have a weird bug. But on top of that, we have some more progression! So far, the run has been fun for me, I've been dying a lot but that's just hard mode. I know one other person has completed the seed, is anyone else brave enough for this?

We are about halfway through! I've already recorded everything. There's some fun stuff coming up ahead!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I totally forgot about the figher sword thing. I didn't want to Menu Boss it (switch between hookshot and hammer) so it's probably better I just died.

Speaking of dying, this is part 4. I will admit, this is probably rock bottom for the run. It's been alright, but this is the point where I started to doubt myself. Also, the video on this one is weird. I checked my later parts and they don't have the same issue. You'll miss out on the very bottom of the screen and part of the tracker, but I can't rerecord because I've already gone on further. Just bear with me this one time!

Like I said, this is the part where things got bad. However, it's all looking up from here on out. We can do this!

Also, here is a teaser for the next part:

What's on the ped? Find out next time!
(it's probably rupees)

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I mentioned it above. I think I accidentally expanded the window when capturing, but the other parts do not have this issue. I can't go back and rerecord because I have gone beyond this part.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Those crawling shadow dudes make a lot of appearances today. I don't know why enemizer loves them so much. Today we make a lot of progress! How much? Watch and find out!

Seriously, a 1/216 chance. On top of that, go mode. Plus it's the book, so I couldn't know it was there in advance. Bright side is that we can now finish the seed. It may be tough. Don't have a lot of hearts, so I predict suffering in the future. Stick with me, we are almost there!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I love multidorm. My favorite though, is when Helmasaur King is up there. He glitches out and his tail never stops spinning. It's hilarious to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

We did it! This is it. Lots of dungeons and so lots of randomized bosses. Plus, Ganon deals enough damage to kill me in 2 hits. Guess the number of deaths!

Thank you so much for watching these videos, I really appreciate it and I hope I convinced some new people to run this awesome game or even consider a race. I commentate sometimes so you might hear me in a more relaxed setting where I'm not the one dying to Vitreous.

As for this seed? It was nutty. I can't believe go mode book was on ped. I was going to do a bonus Ped run, but now you've seen it so bah. It was also super frustrating at times. I cut out a lot of the ganon deaths because there were a few that just consisted of me swearing nonstop. Enemy placements weren't too crippling, but hard mode limiting the mail and hearts meant that I felt way too squishy. I know I didn't set the enemies to randomize damage (yes, it's a thing) but it still felt like they dealt a lot. I did it though, and I'm proud of myself for that.

This is the end of the LTTP runs, but there may be more to come! I'm taking a look at the Super Metroid + Link to the Past randomizer, though my metroid skills are even worse than LTTP. I may not complete these bonus runs though, but keep an eye out.

Captain Capitalism fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 17, 2019