Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
Hey tech-goons, I'd really appreciate some help here. I've been having a bit o a headache since re-installing Windows. I'd really appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Problem description:
I recently updated my laptop with a new hard drive and re-installed Windows 10. After that, there were two persistent and annoying problems.
(1) There's a flicker on the monitor. This happens once every three to six minutes. It's a brief flicker, like one or two frames are missed. It's frustrating.
(2) The more annoying problem is that when the system goes to sleep I can't bring it back without fully powering it down and then powering it up again.

Attempted fixes:
I've tried Googling it and found the usual "make sure all your drivers are up-to-date."
I installed IOBit Driver Booster to make sure all drivers were installed and I believe everything is up-to-date. However, the flicker is persisting.
I also checked a few YouTube videos to fix the "not waking from sleep" problem but they didn't lead anywhere.

Recent changes:
I reinstalled Windows 10 after swapping hard drives. No other changes have been made. I can't see how adding hard drives could cause a flicker, and I really hope it couldn't cause the persistent hibernation problem.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

System specs:
MSI GF62 7RE-1452 (i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 15.6" Full HD, Windows 10) Gaming Notebook

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

If all I have to do to not wake up from sleeping is reinstall Windows 10, sign me up.

edit: realpost.
This could all be due to hosed up power management drivers causing both issues. Might try updating chipset/power mgmt drivers direct from the mobo mfg?

It's unlikely your displays cable is getting crimped somewhere if you just replaced the HDD unless your laptop design is real funky.

Brock Samsonite fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2019

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest BIOS:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GF62-7RE#down-bios

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

So I updated to the most current BIOS, but the screen is still flickering and the system still won't wake up from sleep.

Waking Issue: When put to sleep, the key LEDs go dark. Pressing a button won't wake it up. If I press the power button the LED keys light up, but the system doesn't wake up.

And since it's a laptop, I downloaded all the drivers from the site. I'm attempting to re-install the latest chipset and re-installing the latest video driver while I'm at it. I guess we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: Thanks for the input! Hopefully this'll work.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

So I think I'm going to try taking the laptop back to the store that installed the hard drives to get them to try reconnecting the cables. A lot of the videos I've seen on similar problems sound like they're cable related.

I'm still frustrated about the system not waking up after it goes to sleep without a full power-down and power-up. It's really troublesome to have to lose all my open windows and unsaved work every time my computer takes a nap. If anyone has any advice on that I'd really appreciate it.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

In the meantime you could always disable sleep mode/change the function that the laptop it performs when it is closed to not go into sleep mode.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Brock Samsonite posted:

In the meantime you could always disable sleep mode/change the function that the laptop it performs when it is closed to not go into sleep mode.

Cool, that's a great temporary fix at least. So thanks for letting me know about that.

Update: I switched to Internet Explorer and haven't experienced any flickering, so I think it might be Chrome. I'm still hoping someone can give me some suggestions on what to do about the system not waking up after it goes to sleep.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've been having that same not waking from sleep problem with a year-old Lenovo laptop. It was very intermittent but just today started doing it every time it went to sleep, maybe due to a Windows update that I installed this morning.

One trick I did find is that if you hibernate instead of sleeping, then when the computer fails to wake up, you can hold down the power button for fifteen seconds and it will do some weird thing where it runs the fans really quickly for a second or two (I'm not 100% certain what's happening here, but I read some article say it's like clearing capacitors on the motherboard or something? :shrug: ). If I do that twice in a row and then turn the computer on again, it wakes up as normal, as if from hibernation, so my work is saved. The same trick doesn't work if the computer fails to wake from sleep, it starts like a brand new restart and any work that was open is lost.

If you do somehow find a fix for the problem, please post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I've been having that same not waking from sleep problem with a year-old Lenovo laptop. It was very intermittent but just today started doing it every time it went to sleep, maybe due to a Windows update that I installed this morning.

One trick I did find is that if you hibernate instead of sleeping, then when the computer fails to wake up, you can hold down the power button for fifteen seconds and it will do some weird thing where it runs the fans really quickly for a second or two (I'm not 100% certain what's happening here, but I read some article say it's like clearing capacitors on the motherboard or something? :shrug: ). If I do that twice in a row and then turn the computer on again, it wakes up as normal, as if from hibernation, so my work is saved. The same trick doesn't work if the computer fails to wake from sleep, it starts like a brand new restart and any work that was open is lost.

If you do somehow find a fix for the problem, please post it.

Thanks for the trick! Sadly if I hold down the power button after hibernating all that happens is the power turns off all the way. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do short of uninstalling and reinstalling windows.