Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
We have a local game night at work, and my usual group of coworkers are pretty picky in what they like. I need a game, that is not Pandemic with as much of the following as possible:

Collaborative - All players work together, and win together
No Betrayals - No elements of secretly working against the other players
All players in until the end - All players participate in some way and nobody is "Off sitting by themselves"
Takes less than ~2 hours to play - Some people don't like to stay late

My group is pretty smart, so complicated rules are not an issue. We've been playing Pandemic, but I'm pretty sick of it, to be honest. I'd also ike to avoid any games that are Pandemic in all but name (i.e. reskins). Can any of you guys help me out? I'm not nearly as deep into this stuff as you guys are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putative
Dec 2, 2013
Soiled Meat
I'm not an expert either, but I recently played "Between Two Cities" and it was pretty great.

There can be a winner though, so there goes your first criterion, BUT this game is about as collaborative as competition gets:

All players sit in a circle and each player sits "between two cities" with one on the left and one on the right. In this way, every player co-owns 2 cities with 2 other players. Everyone's turn happens simultaneously so the play is quick. All players draft city tiles and cooperate with their left- and right-hand neighbors to build their left and right cities. Your goal is to maximize bonuses to earn points and your final score is the LOWEST scoring of your two cities. In this way there is no benefit to "screwing" your neighbors by tanking one of your two cities to benefit the other. Again there can be a winner (ties are not uncommon!) but the competition is very mild. It's also a pretty quick game, maybe 20 minutes.

Again I know this immediately ignores your very first point lol, but it might be worth a shot. See if you can play-test it some time, I recommend it. Hope you find the game for your group :-)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Thunderbirds (based on the hacky 1950s puppet drama of the same name) meets MOST of those. The only one that it may not, is that it plays a lot like Pandemic. I think it's actually by the same guys? Dunno, I got it for :20bux: at the last GenCon I went to

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Some faster pure co-op games:

- The Mind
- Hanabi
- Burgle Bros
- SPACE ALERT (!!!)

This one isn't a full co-op but it's team-based and light so it might still fit, but I've had a lot of love for Trapwords recently.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I've really enjoyed playing a game called "Ethnos" - it's a fantasy themed game where the players are leaders amassing groups of fantasy races to control parts of a fantasy kingdom. It's very easy to learn, has satisfying complications, and even though it seems competitive, it's competitive in a non-aggravating way. It's like a fantasy themed game of poker with a campaign map. I know it's not exactly what you're asking for, but I think it's a doubleplusgood introduction to nerd games for civilians and it leaves people with a good taste for more.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206718/ethnos

putative
Dec 2, 2013
Soiled Meat

Countblanc posted:

Some faster pure co-op games:

- The Mind
- Hanabi
- Burgle Bros
- SPACE ALERT (!!!)

This one isn't a full co-op but it's team-based and light so it might still fit, but I've had a lot of love for Trapwords recently.

Space Alert!!! Yes!

Digital Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
Sounds a lot like the things our group look for in a game. We tend to be too hyper competitive for “All v. All” and “One v. Many” to end well, so co-ops are generally the way to go. These generally let us have a good time:

Mysterium - One player is a ghost trying to communicate through abstract pictures to the others who are psychic detectives

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - All players cooperate to solve a mystery by reading clues. The only competitive element is against the ludicrously omniscient Holmes trying to beat his solution time

Forbidden Island/Desert - Players work together find items in order to escape before disaster strikes. The latest in the series (“Forbidden Sky”) wasn’t as popular with my group but YMMV

Not quite so sure about this one given your requirements, but still a big hit for us:

Gloomhaven - Quite a bit more fiddly but each adventure can be done in a couple of hours. Total storyline will take a dozen or more sessions to complete. Does have a bit of downtime for players if they get “exhausted” (i.e. killed) early in the session but nobody is permanently eliminated

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
These are all great suggestions! Thank you dudes!

I bought Forbidden Desert based on a recommendation form another forum (I've never played Forbidden Island).

I'll be looking into all of these and seeing what foes oever well with my coworkers. Also looking at Shadows Over Camelot, but that seems to be a bit of a hit or miss since it appears to be out of print.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UltraRed posted:

These are all great suggestions! Thank you dudes!

I bought Forbidden Desert based on a recommendation form another forum (I've never played Forbidden Island).

I'll be looking into all of these and seeing what foes oever well with my coworkers. Also looking at Shadows Over Camelot, but that seems to be a bit of a hit or miss since it appears to be out of print.

Shadows over Camelot is sort of bleh as far as traitor games go - the only real strategy for the traitor is "play badly" which is both not terribly satisfying nor especially easy to conceal once everyone figures that out.

You should post this request in the board game thread btw, you'll probably get a lot more responses

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Digital Apprentice posted:

Forbidden Island/Desert - Players work together find items in order to escape before disaster strikes. The latest in the series (“Forbidden Sky”) wasn’t as popular with my group but YMMV

yea this series is what immediately came to mind for me after reading the op

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I definitely recommend Space Alert: it's a co-op game but with timed turns and a soundtrack that you play over the course of the game that introduces additional threats that you need to overcome.

I love it because in most co-op games, the optimal strategy is for whoever is best at the game to tell everybody how to take their turn. In Space Alert you literally can't do that -- you don't have enough time to plan the whole team's turn, so you just handle your stuff as best you can and pray none of your teammates screw their bit up, and it's tense and brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Shadows over Camelot is sort of bleh as far as traitor games go - the only real strategy for the traitor is "play badly" which is both not terribly satisfying nor especially easy to conceal once everyone figures that out.

You should post this request in the board game thread btw, you'll probably get a lot more responses

There are actually optional rules where you don't have to have a traitor. There are also other handicaps you could do. I was actually thinking about taking it out.

Thanks for the link.