Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is this?

This is a casual Let's Play. I blindly load over 500 mods in my XCOM game. I'm not a pro XCom player, and I've only ever beaten the game once on easy. Now I'm loading up a classic game with every mod I can find that will load together. The list can be found here: https://pastebin.com/QpHz0eXm

I will also be using the Second Wave options, to make heroes stats, psi availability, classes, and the incomes from every territory all completely random. It'll be semi-random stats for the Sectoids as well. I will name the people on missions with whatever name you choose. If you want to know more about the specifics, I can take a screenshot of all my mod settings so you can play along! I've also made the enemies smarter, and now they'll call for help and activate nearby pods if they hear gunfire and the like. Ontop of that, they can only see soldiers they see, so it is now possible to sacrifice a rookie to sneak by pods.

Where's your OP? Where's your first update!?

Patience, I want to name my first 4 soldiers before I start, and give anyone in thread a chance to say what mods they would like included in the pack! Have I forgot something weird, or interesting? Than tell me, and I'll add it to the list. (Until we start at least.)

Are you an XCOM Veteran?

No. So please feel free to tear apart exactly how bad I am at this game, I'll be reading your posts and suggestions to try and improve my own play! If you're looking for the net beagle or northern lion that have excellent strategies flawlessly executed, you're not going to like this, I am bad at video games.

Here are the 2nd Wave Settings I'm using:

I will be turning the tutorial mission off, and we will start with one of the random factions.

Please feel free to suggest as much as you'd like, I thrive off of thread interaction.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I need to see this train wreck.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Does it even launch the game properly?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, I made sure the game could still launch and tested out a few missions to make sure it wouldn't crash. It takes about 10 irl minutes though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here are the classes people might show up as.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Name somebody after me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wanna be the first one soldier to die in combat! Being both completely useless and a waste of resources all at once.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ooo, are we doing sign ups? I want to be the dumbest sounding class that you can find. Preferably with neon armor

Turtlicious posted:

Yes, I made sure the game could still launch and tested out a few missions to make sure it wouldn't crash. It takes about 10 irl minutes though.

You could just be running it on PS4, it takes forever to load and sometimes just hangs for a minute or two on the end of turns

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

clockwork chaos posted:

Name somebody after me

:emptyquote:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Door Frame posted:

Ooo, are we doing sign ups? I want to be the dumbest sounding class that you can find. Preferably with neon armor

You could just be running it on PS4, it takes forever to load and sometimes just hangs for a minute or two on the end of turns

That sounds very similar to my experience, I'm going to show you guys how much time is just spent on loading screens in the first episode, than cut out all the loading after that because lmao everything takes years.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

clockwork chaos posted:

Name somebody after me

:bandwagon:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I will gladly die to protect Earth from whatever poorly-modeled, copyright-infringing aliens might show up.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I am having quite a bit of fun with modded XCOM 2. Though I am still pretty lousy at it.

Also. I recognize quite a few of the classes, so if you happen to get a Lucubration's Infantry I wouldn't mind being them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have this one mod that's lagging the game to crap, and when I finally found it to remove it, this happened:

I'm p. excited to see how this full of nitro train will derail.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
Alright, this is going to be fun, and I'm looking forwards to seeing how all those classes interact and how you're going to put squads together with such a random variety, because with that many it's not going to be easy to get anything in specific even before people start diverging through different level ups. Speaking of level ups, mind throwing me in so that I can either get some level ups myself or die horribly to the alien menace?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah so the better sorting list mods adds unplayable lag to your game, so don't use it! I'm taking it out of the collection as well.

e: Oh hey, I have enough people to start playing, I should get started!

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Hey, you're using my mod well you're using half the workshop so that's not a surprise. I'd love to die horribly against the alien menace, I'll let chance decide what I will fight the alien menace as.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Wow. Times are good for us XCOM LP fans.

Edit: sure name someone after me.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Sign me up for this.

This will be pure madness.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Count me in, chief.
One more name for the list/ensuing chaos.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I might as well sign up and see what happens.

Hopefully it involves killing at least some aliens.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Sure, I’ll throw my helmet whatever modded silly headwear solders can use into this mess.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I don't really do inserts, so let's see Duke Nukem instead. :v:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Sign me up for this.

:same:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm awful at XCOM, so I might as well sign my name up to do something useful die horribly attempting to help a squad.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
This will be fun! Sign me up, please.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This looks like an entertaining clusterfuck. Sign me up if there's a spot.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 8, 2019

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I am ready to die taking down alien scum with me! Or when a shot goes wrong, either or really.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can't wait for everything to fall apart five missions in. Count me in for a meat shield.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Put me in coach! Put me in!

On a different note, now I'm wondering what mods I should use for XCOM 2, having never used any before.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewMars posted:

Put me in coach! Put me in!

On a different note, now I'm wondering what mods I should use for XCOM 2, having never used any before.

Well, the collection I have set up is being wonky a bit, and I'm finding more issues later in.

BUT, everything on this list I know works together.

https://pastebin.com/QpHz0eXm

If you use the alternative mod launcher, you can copy my modlist into a txt file and load it, so load order won't be hosed up, I'm switching to this because the steam colelction doesn't preserve the load order, which is important when you want mods that do similar things but with slight changes, like Podless XCom and "Yellow Alert"

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I would greatly appreciate it if you included my OC (do not steal) Redd Shirt in your game.
He's cool and Good and with not absolutly die an embarrassing horrific death in the first mission.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My Audio levels are a little fucky, but I didn't save a copy of my mp3 in audacity, so... the next video will be better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpvE5MOg86o

So, goons who are watching this give me advice. Good or bad, I won’t be able to tell the difference. We have 4 dudes we could buy, or we could get started on building a resistance ring. this is what our starting facilities look like:

Better Laboratories have been added which does the following:

quote:

Material Rebates
Inspired by EU's workshop rebates. When a lab is installed, completing research will give you a rebate on the materials used. The default rebate is 50% with one scientist, 75% with two.So if Elerium research requires 40 elerium, you'll get around 20 or 30 elerium back when you finish it, assuming you have a properly staffed Lab.

Intel Bonuses
Like the rebates, this will give you a bit of extra Intel for decrypting ADVENT datapads. The bonus is approximately +50% for one scientist, +100% for two.

Upkeep Cost
Upkeep decreased somewhat, from 35/40 (Workshop cost) to 25/30 supplies. It still requires more power than a Workshop.

We have some non-Humans we can recruit, a Krogan or a Geth.

While doing our starting scans, we were immediately interrupted by a guerilla mission, so I didn’t get much done. Just researched modular weapons, and was like 18 hours away from getting some new recruits.

We researched modular weapons, which also gave us the 411 on how A Better Barracks has changed the game.

WereWhale was our only genius, so they get to be our Resistance Leader in our starting area. He’s going to be giving us one more turn on missions, which is important when you can now do entire missions concealed. I believe he gets better the longer he does that job, but we’ll replace him with a high level unit as soon as we get one.

Here is everyone’s names and stats! (Ignore the starting class, you’re all rookies who will have that job as one of your options.)

Cythereal was hella hosed up in the head from the last mission, and is currently drinking it off.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I want to reiterate, there is no bad thread participation! If you love something I make, or the way I make it tell me! If not, Tell me! I feel like making videos is like any other hobby, something you start out kind of bad at, and through a lot of self reflection and work, you get better!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 9, 2019

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
So, I want to ask how the "podless" system you described works. Does it mean that when you activate one group the entire map activates automatically, or when you activate one group other groups start moving towards you and then activate when they see you?

In either case, I think what got you was how you chose to break concealment. It's not fast-paced or interesting but getting your positioning and setup close to ideal before choosing to break concealment is how you save yourself a lot of trouble on the first engagement. In the case of Gatecrasher, using the buildings for height advantage shots or the relatively scattered full cover points will be to your advantage. Try to keep the group closer together since your engagement meant that the SPARK was left out to dry and your shooter on the roof didn't get to use their height advantage for any shots beyond the overwatch that missed.

Also remember that the abilities you have early on need to be spent in desperate situations, the SPARK has overdrive so you can take 2 shots and a move or 3 shots if need be, and the Skirmisher standard melee attack as you described should come in handy more often because you can use it to move to an advantageous position behind enemy lines quite frequently (assuming you kill your target). Also it is not useful to run someone with no ammo closer to the engagement and then reload. Usually Reload into Overwatch provides a better defensive option.

From a strategic standpoint, I do get the temptation to buy new units, but trying to get the Resistance Ring going ASAP is usually the most helpful in the short and long term.

Keep it up, Commander.

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
If I survive long enough to rank up, please make me the actual mage the status screen currently claims I am. After all, when given the choice, always be the wizard.

Also you misspelled my name.

Tactically, I'd like to say that I'm disappointed in the lack of grenading any of those squads while they're all clustered up at the start. In my experience a well placed grenade is one of the best ways to open a fight up, because it tends to leave everyone, or at least a noticeable number of the enemy, heavily hurt without actually killing them and ruining the loot. And once half the enemy is down half their health, you're a lot more likely to have everyone else's overwatch shots score kills right at the start, making the rest of the fight a lot easier.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sign me up as a Necromancer on this train wreck.

Because I am here to make friends. By any means necessary

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Train wreck may indeed be the most accurate description of this "Campaign" possible. The loading times alone are impressive. I wonder if an SSD would improve it but somehow I doubt it.

As far advice, I have no clue. I've played 250+ hours of xcom 2 with plenty of mods and I am out of my depth here.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Nice.

Support character with a grenade launcher primary weapon. I look forward to surviving this entire game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's already on my SSD lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ModeWondershot posted:

So, I want to ask how the "podless" system you described works. Does it mean that when you activate one group the entire map activates automatically, or when you activate one group other groups start moving towards you and then activate when they see you?

Here is the spawning system I'm using.

Yellow Alert posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1492899729

Once in yellow alert, pods are aware of Xcom's presence and use both action points to run around while performing its assigned job or running towards the area of the alert (usually within sight of XCom). No more pods walking around one tile away out of sight, they will respond to alerts within range and investigate them immediately.

AI TO AI Activations outside Xcom's vision

By Default AI to AI can trigger reveal when they take fire or damage from each other. This is useful on retaliation missions when a friendly militia soldier fires at advent, they activate immediately and fight back rather than stand there and take the damage. This can be disabled in the YellowAlert.ini.

NEW ADDITION
Green and yellow reflex actions
During the alien turn, enemy units now have a chance to gain an extra action point once revealed.
Pods on green alert that are not aware of any enemy presence by default have a 20% chance to gain a reflex action.
Pods in yellow alert, who are suspicious, and aware of a threat, have a 38% chance to gain a reflex action, only if they had not used both actions to move. There is a 5% chance reduction with each succesful reaction in a pod. This feature can be disabled and the chances configured in the config file.

The AI will call other pods to help them if things get loud. They will also get an extra turn to shoot at us when they do stumble upon us. So all the pods aren't activated at once, but they do get activated faster.