Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm a... mage? With inexplicible glowing cybernetic legs? Who is apparently also a biotic from Mass Effect?

Okay then.

This craziness is off to a fine start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Oh hell yes, ground floor. Sign me up for the hellwar, I want to miss some modded monstrosity at 99% chance to hit and get absolutely annihilated.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Ok, so with my understanding of the new activation system, I would say that it makes start of mission concealment even more powerful in allowing you to pick your first battle in an ideal position. Make use of full cover and high ground as much as you can to get an ideal defensive spot from which to take reaction fire and corral your opponents. Even if ADVENT gets a bonus action from activating on their turn, that just means you need to find and own those full cover positions to minimize damage to your team.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

gently caress my X-COM self up, fam.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm real bad at editing, So the next video is going to be in windowed mode because OBS didn't record the game capture window, and instead just did my whole desktop.

e: Just so people know, I'm planning to do at least an episode a day to every other day. So check in often!

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 10, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ-0pCSlRyM

From that mission, we got some loot!

The Resistance wants up to set up the infrastructure to take on black site missions. I’m saying nuts to that until I get a bigger and stronger squad.

Some of my soldiers are making friends and getting upgrades :3:

And are moving and shaking up to bigger and better things! While we’re waiting for stuff to build, we go scan and pick up 2 new recruits!

Other Soldiers have their PTSD manifests in a kind of boring way.

Once the Alien Debris cleared, we could use our only engineer to speed up our resistance ring. It’s either that or excavating. I have the engineer help, because we started with a skirmisher that means we can hang out at there base to help speed up construction. I will need to be way ahead of the Aliens since there upgrades come with bigger and nastier enemies, ones no-one has seen before.

While we’re using the skirmisher base to upgrade our stuff, they give us a quest!

So I load up our two new rookies and set sail!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao lucky guy spawned with half his skull being replaced with metal. That's a real prosthetic as in he has that equipped / it's giving him bonuses.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Sign me up please!

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Oh god I'm the favorite, looking forward to my horrible death even more now. :v:

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Turtlicious posted:

lmao lucky guy spawned with half his skull being replaced with metal. That's a real prosthetic as in he has that equipped / it's giving him bonuses.
I look forward to losing the other half of my skull and getting a holo-replacement for it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
name some poor sucker after me, the more ridiculous and weird, the better

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

So. Advice, you asked for it and you could really use it. In no particular order based on what I saw in the last video.

You are taking your turn in a strict one unit at a time in the order the game suggests. This is leading to things like taking a shot against a general in cover and then blowing up his cover afterwards. Your units can go in any order and they are not obligated to spend their whole set of actions before moving on.

Grenades are guaranteed damage, yes. But that is not their primary purpose, certainly not HE grenades. They are a good source of Shred and more important cover destruction. Doing 2 or 3 damage to secure a high priority kill is fine but exposing out of cover and getting near guaranteed shots on them from every possible unit is much better.

Continuing in the vein of use your grenades better. Cover destruction includes second and third story floors and falling units take an extra chunk of damage. If aliens are on a roof and you can blow up that roof, consider doing so.

Line of Sight is as much a defense as cover is. If you have say, a unit on the middle of a roof nobody can shoot him without repositioning. If you move that unit to the half cover on the side of a roof they can. Now you may need that unit there to shoot aliens. But consider making that move on the turn they shoot instead.

Stasis is incredibly powerful as you noted, CC in general is very powerful. Next time you find yourself in a multi-front engagement just stasis the most threatening unit as soon as safely possible. And since complex fights with a lot of units is going to be the norm get flashbangs, and bring a lot of them. Flashbangs will help you survive yellow alert.

Tying in to that, the action economy. I won't go into great detail but the basic facts are simple. You have only so many things you can do per turn, and they have so many things they can do per turn. And the more things you can do versus they can do the more likely you are to win. Deny the enemy actions and maximize yours.

Only take bad shots if that's the only option left for you. If you have a unit that has a bad shot and can't move consider a reload and overwatch or hunker down instead.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This is hilarious - sign me up, please! I don't care what I do!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
jesus gently caress

Put me in, coach

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Haven't watched yet, but I call dibs on a Saboteur (the one with a sniper rifle and grenade launcher (since I made that one)).

I never checked if everything still worked after the free DLC came out, so hopefully it doesn't break too badly :v:

Emong fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 11, 2019

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
end me scoob

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Emong posted:

Haven't watched yet, but I call dibs on a Saboteur (the one with a sniper rifle and grenade launcher (since I made that one)).

I never checked if everything still worked after the free DLC came out, so hopefully it doesn't break too badly :v:

So explain your logic. Sniper Rifle and Grenade Launcher has to be the least synergistic weapon setup imaginable. What was your thought process here.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tzarnal posted:

So explain your logic. Sniper Rifle and Grenade Launcher has to be the least synergistic weapon setup imaginable. What was your thought process here.

It's cool :colbert:
And way more useful in panic situations than pistols, since without specializing in pistols, they suck

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My favorite oddball weapon to pair with a sniper rifle is a shotgun. A companion in Shadowrun: Dragonfall has that pairing as her weapons, and it works together very nicely.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Tzarnal posted:

I wanted to build a class around a weird weapon combo and that's the weirdest one I could think of. In execution it's supposed to be able to create/exploit flanked enemies. It has Snapshot instead of Squadsight, and can get things like an ability to make grenades destroy cover better or Danger Zone from firaxis-com 1. I think it turned out alright, though the explosives side of the tree is probably stronger than the shooting side.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzFIPrgns0

So yeah, That’s XCOM for you, poo poo.

In other great news, the avatar project has started.

We unlocked ETC weapons, but I don’t know who will be able to use them!

We get a breakthrough, so the nerds next job is making better labs (which don’t suck now!)

Here’s who we have left.

and Duke Nukem made a friend :3:

I decide to hang around the skirmishers until my buildings get built, we get interrupted by a guerilla action

In Memoriam.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
From an LP development standpoint, missing out on the audio due to a little error sucks but I would honestly suggest replaying and rerecording if it happens again, since game audio is a big part of the gameplay experience.

For the actual mission, yeah...that was a lot of grenades for a Lost mission (which penalizes grenade usage by intent). Remember that the fight starts with squad composition and loadout, so bringing the Anarchist along for what you knew was a Lost mission was probably your first critical mistake. I would also advise against bringing along those hunter rifles where the damage range is 1-5 and they only hold 2 ammo, since consistent damage and infrequent reloads are what you need for Lost missions.

As with the first mission, breaking concealment needs to be done with care and only once you are in a position to make full use of your soldiers. Concealment is an extremely powerful tool even in these Lost missions.

For a little while you had a decent position on the fire escape from which to shoot Lost (with soldiers other than the Anarchist) and you gave it up to get to the shipping containers, opening you up to ADVENT retaliations. Try to avoid using those big yellow moves for soldiers in the middle of combat since you always want to maximize combat actions against the opposition with everyone you have.

(Also I just figured this out in my own recent game, but as you have Augmentations in your mod list, it looks like we won't be seeing Happerry for a while since a Wounded status without a recovery time means they are permanently incapacitated until they get a required mechanical augmentation. It's sort of an interesting wrinkle the mod throws in but I don't know if I like it.)

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ModeWondershot posted:

(Also I just figured this out in my own recent game, but as you have Augmentations in your mod list, it looks like we won't be seeing Happerry for a while since a Wounded status without a recovery time means they are permanently incapacitated until they get a required mechanical augmentation. It's sort of an interesting wrinkle the mod throws in but I don't know if I like it.)

Personally I find it fun, smart and Immersive. Over time I've come to appreciate things that make me break away from my top soldiers and I believe augments are all upside once you actually install one.

Additionally this prevents just shoving your top soldiers full of top tier augments when you can afford them, instead encouraging you to engage with the system through the length of the game.

( You can also disable this mechanic in the .ini file so if you dislike it, its optional )

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm so glad someone told me I had to build that guy a new bit. I didn't know about that.

Also, should I re-record this episode with audio?

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Now that it is posted and you seem to be dedicated to your very aggressive release schedule, I would say leave this one as is but take it as a lesson learned for next time.

I think my problem with Augmentation is that is is gated behind a fairly long research requirement as well as Proving Grounds, and it did trigger 3 times in my early game, so while I did not suffer greatly for the temporary loss of my soldiers I did question the fact that the game decided to deprive me of their use arbitrarily when rolling for wound severity. I may yet change my opinion once I get out of mid-game with the mod active, though.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

Soiled Meat
Well then.

Echoing what other people have said, concealment is a powerful advantage, don't waste it unnecessarily. You can open doors silently by standing next to it and then open it through the button prompt or just clicking the door. Break concealment when you have all your soldiers in position to wreck face. When the mission doesn't have a timer, take your time. VIPs won't be killed offscreen.
Another tip, if you stand at the top of ladders, the lost/advent can't climb the ladders to hit you. You can use this to block off approaches, making them take the long way around or keep them from reaching you entirely.
lastly, the anarchist has plenty of grenades but very little damage. don't try to use them in a direct damage role. instead use the grenades to destroy cover so that other soldiers can have easy flanking shots on the now exposed enemies.

Cambrian Odeus is gone, inspiring Cambrian Obelus to sign up with xcom.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

cambrian obelus posted:

Well then.

Echoing what other people have said, concealment is a powerful advantage, don't waste it unnecessarily. You can open doors silently by standing next to it and then open it through the button prompt or just clicking the door. Break concealment when you have all your soldiers in position to wreck face. When the mission doesn't have a timer, take your time. VIPs won't be killed offscreen.
Another tip, if you stand at the top of ladders, the lost/advent can't climb the ladders to hit you. You can use this to block off approaches, making them take the long way around or keep them from reaching you entirely.
lastly, the anarchist has plenty of grenades but very little damage. don't try to use them in a direct damage role. instead use the grenades to destroy cover so that other soldiers can have easy flanking shots on the now exposed enemies.

Cambrian Odeus is gone, inspiring Cambrian Obelus to sign up with xcom.

With A Better Advent Lost Dashers will actually climb walls to circumvent this particular tactic, otherwise you are spot on.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Turtlicious posted:

Also, should I re-record this episode with audio?

I wouldn't bother, at this point it's clear you're winging it as you go. The people who don't like rough edges are likely gone by now. You can obviously improve your process so that it's less of a problem in the future.

Can you tell us about all the extra ability buttons every soldier seems to have with all these mods? I suppose they'll come up in gameplay at some point if they're important, but I'm still curious. Like the one with the overwatch eye symbol next to a capital A. What does optometry have to do with any of this?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fair Enough! I don't know what EVERY button does, but I'll go over every button every soldier has when ever I introduce a new soldier.

The A+ Eye is the mod that sets everyone on overwatch, so I don't have to click them all simultaneously.
There's a button next to it that sets everyone but my active soldier on overwatch. Two evac buttons that work the same way.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Fair Enough! I don't know what EVERY button does, but I'll go over every button every soldier has when ever I introduce a new soldier.

The A+ Eye is the mod that sets everyone on overwatch, so I don't have to click them all simultaneously.
There's a button next to it that sets everyone but my active soldier on overwatch. Two evac buttons that work the same way.

Oh okay, it's like that one mod that lets everyone evac with one button press.

Anyway if you really want to rework the audio for that episode you might want to consider Adagio for Strings.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

StoryTime posted:

I wouldn't bother, at this point it's clear you're winging it as you go. The people who don't like rough edges are likely gone by now.

This came off a bit harsh and not in the way I intended. I didn't mean to say "lol you blew it and now your viewers are gone". The people who're invested, like me, will go on watching your misadventures!

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Lucky Guy posted:

gently caress my X-COM self up, fam.

Welp, I got exactly what I asked for, dying in one shot without ever firing my weapon. :xcom:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a mod that was causing us to crash on sewer levels, I removed it eventually, I also figured out how to use PTT in OBS and have it record to a separate track, so Tonight's episode is gonna be live commentary!

e: Now my game is unplayably laggy, so more work is needed.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 13, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Turtlicious posted:

There was a mod that was causing us to crash on sewer levels, I removed it eventually, I also figured out how to use PTT in OBS and have it record to a separate track, so Tonight's episode is gonna be live commentary!

e: Now my game is unplayably laggy, so more work is needed.

Modding.txt.

Can't wait to see more nonsense.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everything works now but I forgot to hit record 2x in a row, so now I'm extremely exhausted with XCOM, there should be an update later tonight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RVp95PYK4

Don't click this until after the episode:

So I lost everyone, I have two ways I can consider pushing the LP forward, I could either try the mission over and over until we win. Or, I can see how far I can get with only 2 usable rookies and call it when we lose everything. Or I can start the whole LP over, and try to save more dudes. I wasn't expecting to die off this fast.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

Soiled Meat
That was a video.

ok, additional tips from what I've seen:
1. Unless a mod changed this, enemies know about the location of the revealed soldiers. But they are bound by the same rules as you are regarding sightlines/distance. Luring them with sounds/wall damage doesn't work. They will work towards your revealed soldiers and hurt them.
2. Stun lancers hurt, and they have surprising range. They can run their full two actions and then hit you at the end. When you get melee characters, don't be surprised when you can do this too.
3. There will always be more enemies in the stage than you have troops. So its paramount to concentrate fire and kill enemies. The fewer guns firing at you, the better.
4. Never depend on different enemy factions hurting each other. It takes too much effort for too little gain. Maybe a mod changes this.
5. Splitting up your troops rarely helps. Splitting up your troops when your under fire has never worked out for me. Your group gets separated and then picked off one by one.
6. The best time to break concealment is when all your soldiers can fire on the enemy from cover. Ideally high cover with a height advantage.

As for the spoiler question, start over. Your strategic position is set back by a month because you need to hire all those new recruits. this is another month of advent advancing/teching up and more frequent appearances of the chosen. rookies are hard enough trying to keep alive. I can't image the 500 mods making it easier. I want this LP to go the distance, and struggling for the next several videos will be fun for no one.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Advice for when missions are going absolutely pear shaped. You can just Get Out. You can call that skyranger, get on and leave. Because you have Pyrrhic Victories installed you may consider just grabbing the main objective before you do but you have to consider how many lives a completed mission is worth. Sometimes its just not worth it to stay.

So regarding the spoilers:

I think you should simply restart, if this was the only mission that had gone badly it wouldn't be as big of a deal but none of them have ended well enough. If you do restart you get the advantage of being able to make some changes to rules for yourself.

So I for one am here to watch you play, with way to many mods. I want to enjoy the insanity or all that stuff, i want to see silly combinations of cosmetics, ridiculous fights and way more classes than is a good idea. I'm not here, especially for your prowess as an lp'er in playing XCom. Don't get me wrong if you were really good at XCom and managed to beat all this nonsense at legendary ironman that'd be a bonus. But just a bonus.

It has become pretty evident that with 500 mods some of which introduce significantly harder enemies you are not up to playing this on Classic difficulty. That's fine simply because you can simply adjust the challenge.

So some things I think you should consider.

* Drop the game back down to easy. Personally I wouldn't mind.

* Give yourself way more starting rookies. There are mods for that, or .ini files you can change.

* As you said yourself increase your starting squadsize from 4 to 6.

* I don't particularly want to watch someone reload the same turn 5 times until they get a good outcome. But you are an lp'er and have the magic of just not showing me a recording on your side. If a mission was such a disaster that it threatens the campaign, you can just replay it.

* Spend more time explaining things: We the audience don't know whats going on with half of this stuff either because I doubt we all played all these mods. When it comes to new classes, new enemy types or new mechanics if you have to explain to us what they are that means you have to know what they are and what they can do. That'll us know whats going and and it'll help you learn. If you explain to us why you are making the moves you are making that forces you to think about what you are doing and helps us with giving advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
I would also recommend restarting from the top. That said, before you do for purposes of an LP I would honestly suggest trying a game on an easier difficulty without mods on your own time so that you can get a bit more used to the fundamentals, such as when to break concealment, how to survive prolonged firefights and protect your team without relying on lucky rolls. Develop an understanding of what the game expects of you in vanilla before inundating yourself with mods so you have a bit more of a leg to stand on.

As far as the LP itself goes, I think you might want to look at getting a co-commentator as well. There is a lot of dead air and not much discussion of the mods themselves going on in the videos that some prompting from an outside questioner familiar with XCOM2 could add to your presentation.

Best of luck to you, man.