Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

fickle poofterist posted:

How often do you tragics just give up and say you dont give a gently caress any more, only to turn around 10 minutes later and start giving a gently caress extremely severely?

You're right, the gently caress am I doing wasting my time in here?
World's fukt, buy planes.
See y'all in 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
https://twitter.com/yeetintolerance/status/1132125381144731648

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

idgi

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
God imagine this thread if Dutton wins the spill AND the polls were wrong.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
That's just you, Andy

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Terri only kept her seat through Green's preferences

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And that solution is grandfathered franking credits.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

How often do you tragics just give up and say you dont give a gently caress any more, only to turn around 10 minutes later and start giving a gently caress extremely severely?

Would you say they're fickle?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I just went to a walk-in clinic to see a doctor for a semi-urgent problem. Fortunately I hosed up the opening hours and arrived just after 7 when the clinic in fact opened at 8. This meant that when the doors finally opened I was the first in a line of over 20 people to see two GPs. I chatted to the second guy to kill time and he told me he'd waited 6 hours in the clinic the day before.

This country is hosed.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I always give a gently caress :colbert:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GotLag posted:

I just went to a walk-in clinic to see a doctor for a semi-urgent problem. Fortunately I hosed up the opening hours and arrived just after 7 when the clinic in fact opened at 8. This meant that when the doors finally opened I was the first in a line of over 20 people to see two GPs. I chatted to the second guy to kill time and he told me he'd waited 6 hours in the clinic the day before.

This country is hosed.

I have a few bulk billing practices near me. The secret is to live in a suburban slum where any doctor trying to charge a gap would go out of business in 3 weeks.

All the burglary happens in the new developments full of FIFO First Home Flippers one suburb over, as they are idiots who cannot resist gratuitous displays of middle class excess.

*Sips tea*

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

every election

every byelection

every time i think about manus and nauru

every time i think about greedy fuckin boomers

so like 20 times a day?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i never give up

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

It's just part of the human condition. You'd have to be like an albatross not to exist like that.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

GotLag posted:

This country is hosed.

There was a walk-in, bulk-billing clinic near my old house I used to go to back when I couldn't afford the "luxury" of a doctor who'd take appointments (all the appointment-taking doctors in the area made you pay extra). The reviews online were all "bring a bucket, the last 3 times I've been here I've had to wait over an hour to be seen and they don't take appointments".

I was lucky that whenever I caught something extremely uncomfortable or painful I managed to scrape up enough money to pay for a doctor that would let me make an appointment, though there was a day I spent 3.5 hours in that waiting room with a serious respiratory infection.

The people deciding to keep the medicare rebate for GP visits so low clearly have never had the "choice" of either spending $70 you don't really have so you can be seen to quickly, or waiting for hours in agony in a walk-in clinic.

Pretty much never, or at least, not in recent years. It's important to take time out to do self-care, though. Taking a step back after a disappointment to regroup and look after yourself, after which you can step back in in a better frame of mind is normal and healthy.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i give up almost constantly

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

nankeen posted:

i give up almost constantly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLUS0o69wQ

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1132490792000319489

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Honestly, this is the loving problem with Labor, and that they are really worried about being outflanked on the left but don't want to do anything about it. I'm part of the same loose circle as the Greens candidate for Griffith and I'll tell ya what, he's a solid loving candidate and the Greens ran a drat good campaign here, which was leagues ahead of whatever the gently caress Labor ran. As far as I am aware, the ALP strategy for Griffith was to siphon off the local party members to shore up north of the river

It's completely within the realm of possibility that the electorate could flip to Greens if enough emphasis was actually put on the progressive policies regarding jobs and social support. Yes, the environment was important, but as Jonathan Sri (imho) correctly identifies, it's not really what's on people's minds.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 26, 2019

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Of course Labor spends more time yelling about how the Greens won't bend the knee instead of fighting Tories.

Of course they do.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm sure the current QLD state government will start ramping up the anti-Greens poo poo because they feel like it'll appeal to the mythical "would vote Labor but gently caress the environment/poors" voters.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

To be fair to Queensland Labor, the situation is hosed no matter what because the Gold Coast will never stop being blue and all the LNP has to do is win Brisbane to win state government.

The ALP on the other hand has to hold Brisbane and FNQ and underemployed shitholes due to a coalition federal government.

The LNP can win government without winning Brisbane. If the ALP focuses on the environmental issues that win Brisbane votes they lose the Sunshine Coast to Cairns votes.

The ALP hasn't flipped the Gold Coast in eleventy billion years. The LNP has a stronghold where as Queensland Labor does not.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And if the Greens get more Brisbane scalps then that pushs Labor to seek Gains in One Nation Territory and Katterstan. The result will be a Deep Blue Joh Era supermajorty that we will all hate and despise

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Even if she was elected on Greens preferences, she's not actually wrong that Greens advocating people vote for crossbenchers is unhelpful, at the very least to Labor. Her being elected off Greens preferences doesn't invalidate her point. Some people are very quick to jump to "but whyyyyyyy won't Labor just do everything the Greens ask for and work together as a unified left?" (and, to be fair, vice versa).

The answer is they're directly in conflict on many fronts.

I'm honestly perplexed at how many people seem not to grasp this, and it's not necessarily the fault of one or the other (both sides can lay blame if that's the game you want to play), but it's a political reality. You don't like it? Well cool, nobody said you had to, but don't pretend it's some unknowable enigma, or be shocked when Adam Bandt says Labor bad because X, or Anthony Albo says Greens bad because Y.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Many senior positions remain unchanged although Melissa Price will no longer serve as Environment Minister and will be replaced by Sussan Ley.

MELISSA PRICE IS NOW DEFENSE INDUSTRY MINISTER

im dying here

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
An Adelaide juror on a child sex abuse case has caused a mistrial, meaning a teenage girl will have to give evidence a second time, after he took his own photographs of the alleged crime scene.

The Court of Criminal Appeal has quashed the convictions of a man aged in his 40s because of the juror's photographs, and ordered a retrial after finding there had been a miscarriage of justice.

A District Court jury had found the man guilty of one count of communicating with the intention of making a child amenable to sexual activity and three counts of indecent assault against a child.

Chief Justice Chris Kourakis stated trial judge Peter Brebner was informed that a juror had photographed the scene of the alleged sex assault before showing three fellow jurors.

Judge Brebner dismissed the rogue juror before asking the other three if they could remove the information they had learnt outside of the trial "from their subconscious".

"The jurors answered that they could," Justice Kourakis said.

"The judge declined to dismiss jurors 35, 50 and 28.

"If they had been discharged there would have been insufficient jurors to complete the trial and a mistrial would have been declared.

"The jurors' commitment to their duty can only be commended and it could not be doubted that they would have tried their level best."

But Justice Kourakis said he was "not at all satisfied" that the jurors, when discussing whether the area where the girl was allegedly assaulted was well-lit or dark, could have "exercised such a discipline over their minds" to not think of conversations with the other juror.

During the trial, the prosecution stated that the man and 14-year-old girl would communicate through Snapchat and the accused had a folder within the application titled "my eyes only", containing 120 images of her.

"He agreed that he retained some of the images she had sent him by screenshotting them," Justice Kourakis stated.

"He denied that he had ever asked her to send him inappropriate photographs, that he had engaged in any inappropriate conversation, or that he had sent her photographs of his genitals."

Police did not find any images of the girls' exposed breasts on the phone.

The man told the jury that he would screenshot the images if he was "busy" or "driving" so he could look at them later.

"His evidence largely left unexplained why he then moved the screenshots from his camera roll to the 'my eyes only' folder," Justice Kourakis said.

"He denied that he kept the photographs because he was sexually interested in her."

The man is accused of kissing, hugging and touching the girl indecently in several locations throughout rural SA.

Justice Kourakis heard the appeal along with Justices Tim Stanley and Judy Hughes.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

Terri only kept her seat through Green's preferences

thanks, just couldn’t parse it at all for some reason

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Barnaby_Joyce/status/1132535469160353792?s=19

Lol

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Serious question: who here thinks Morrison will be PM at the time of the next election? I'm leaning towards not, but not strongly enough to toxx over it.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Whitlam posted:

Serious question: who here thinks Morrison will be PM at the time of the next election? I'm leaning towards not, but not strongly enough to toxx over it.

I think he has a good chance of still being there considering he gave them a "miracle" election and the fact that they adopted similar rules to Labor which makes it really hard to turf a sitting PM.

Not enough to Toxx over it though

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

POLICE have slammed “professional protesters” for diverting them from real police work, and re-elected federal Coalition MPs have demanded bludger activists have their dole restricted.

With police and court resources wasted on a merry-go-round of arresting and charging activists, The Sunday Mail today unmasks the constant anti-coal protesters targeting Adani.

Up to 150 activists – some who have protest histories dating back to the 2000s – are living at “Camp Nudja” on the Bogie River near Collinsville, where they receive training on how to properly chain themselves to infrastructure and what their legal rights are.

Supporters of Scott Daines, 52, celebrated his constant coal protests and set up a fundraising page so he could fix his car to drive from NSW to Abbot Point, which he is understood to visit regularly.

Victorian Greg Rolles, 37, recently faced Bowen Magistrates Court for allegedly blocking an Aurizon railway track.

He has been detained several times, including for storming the Defence Force base at Swan Island in 2014. He has pleaded not guilty to blocking the train track.

Queensland Police Union president Ian Leavers said professional protesters were wasting resources.

“Police in these regional and rural areas are short-staffed at the best of times and these professional protesters and their complete disregard for economic loss are tying up valuable police time, which means real police work to keep the community safe and tackle crime is not able to be done,” he said.

“Police just wish they’d move on to their next professional protest in some other state and let us get back to real policing duties instead of babysitting people who should know better.”

The state’s federal MPs have called for serial activists who receive the New­start allowance to have their welfare quarantined, as well as a tax reform to stop foreign companies propping up professional activism.

“Newstart is funded by taxpayers, who would expect recipients to use it for its intended purpose of supporting them while they look for work, not supporting them in a lifestyle of being a full-time protester,’’ Social Services Minister Paul Fletcher said.

The Sunday Mail does not suggest any of the protesters named or pictured in this story are living on Newstart.

When Parliament resumes, Prime Minister Scott Morrison will introduce new laws to see activists jailed for up to a year if they use a carriage service to publish the addresses of farms for the purpose of protests.

Member for Leichhardt Warren Entsch said he wanted welfare-dependent activists to have their Newstart given as a cashless debit card.

Member for Dawson George Christensen, who has the Abbot Point coal terminal in his electorate, said there needed to be change.

“If they’re unemployed, these people have deliberately chosen to move to Bowen, where jobs are scarce, and protest against the creation of jobs while collecting unemployment benefits,” he said.

“That is a deadset abuse of the system and it needs to stop.”

Resources Minister Matt Canavan said anyone on the dole who could travel to protest could travel for a job.

“I want to make sure that any of these cases are reported to Centrelink so appropriate action can be taken. Under our laws, if you can work, you must work, or you don’t get the dole,” he said.

Member for Hinkler Keith Pitt said it was clear there were professional protesters pretending to be locals.

Member for Brisbane Trevor Evans said he witnessed the rise of the “professional protester” during the recent election campaign.

“(They are) activists who are clearly trained and often paid,” he said.

Member for Fairfax Ted O’Brien said he wanted organisations behind political activists put under a blowtorch.

Professional protesters

Scott Daines, 52, NSW: Protested at Camp Nudja. Believed to have demonstrated against Adani for a long time. Has been part of green crusades in three states over 15 years. In 2016, was convicted and fined $300 for entering Port Kembla coal terminal and suspending himself from machines to protest climate change.

Freya Harvey, 28, Vic: Occupation: Unknown but was a cook on the Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior. Believed to be protesting against Adani from Camp Nudja for long periods of time.

Greg Rolles, 37, Vic: Occuption: Former school teacher, described as a full-time activist. Faced Bowen Magistrates Court on May 16 after blocking an Aurizon rail line last November. Has pleaded not guilty. Convicted and fined $600 in 2015 for protesting at Shoalwater Bay. Was part of the Swan Island Peace Convergence in 2014 and detained for entering the military intelligence base and unfurling anti-war banners. No charges were laid.

Max Curmi, 23, Vic: Occupation: Unknown. Sources say he is at the majority of activists’ gatherings in the Bowen area and the primary driver of reconnaissance trips to the Carmichael Mine. Facebook post: “Yes the election result is sh*t, but that’s what happens when you ‘engage respectively’ with a system designed at its core to repress you. Soft politics doesn’t and will not work. Strike and Blockade. Do it for as long as it takes.”

Clancey Maher, 20s, ACT: Occupation: Unknown but has put her life on hold to protest Adani. Pleaded guilty in Bowen in December last year for protesting against Adani.

Tom Howell, 29, Vic: Protested in Bowen last year and has asked for people to chip in to pay his $1500 in fines. Bragged about abseiling down a railway bridge to block coal trains. “The cost incurred for taking a stand against one of the world’s worst carbon emitting industries. It’s worth it!”

Yes that's, right, the article concludes with photos and the state of origin of these people lol.

These so called COAL BLUDGERS

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Waters' chance of getting back in gets worse and worse as times goes on. She's still in a better position than the second Labor senator but it's far closer than it seemed a week ago.

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1132267281851899904

I just assumed she’d gotten back in. Didn’t realise it wasn’t confirmed. I hope she gets in, she’s a great senator.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I love they flat out say that police shouldn't be bothering with this.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I just assumed she’d gotten back in. Didn’t realise it wasn’t confirmed. I hope she gets in, she’s a great senator.

Early figures were really strong and everyone assumed she was safe but the Greens have done terribly on prepoll, absentee and BtL votes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

POLICE have slammed “professional protesters” for diverting them from real police work, and re-elected federal Coalition MPs have demanded bludger activists have their dole restricted.

Lol this is some loving 3rd Reich poo poo hahaha
We're all hosed hahaha

hahahah

hah

:suicide:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm unsurprised that they put Christian Porter as leader of the house, he's got a track record of being a great architect, implementer of conservative ideology in the public service, and strategist. Whilst this incoming government doesn't have a mandate of substance, what they do have (in spades) is marketing and strategy, which is really all you need when you've got the keys to the lower house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890467