Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

hambeet posted:

i couldn't keep away from you misanthropes for too long it seems

poo poo, what happened to Howard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

Do it you coward!

yeah tick-tock mother fuckers. i just blew $15aud on that re-reg

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

hambeet posted:

i remember working for job network / jobs australia. fun times @ wise employment.

Do people who work at those places actually believe they make a difference? No matter how many times I'd call them out for being useless they'd insist they were performing a service worthy of their paycheck. I feel like they can't possibly be that out of touch with reality.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

poo poo, what happened to Howard?

i auto-banned with the toxx. so it doesn't show as banned, but when you re-reg you lose the avatar

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Turks posted:

Do people who work at those places actually believe they make a difference? No matter how many times I'd call them out for being useless they'd insist they were performing a service worthy of their paycheck. I feel like they can't possibly be that out of touch with reality.

most don't no, but for some of them in that job it's the bottom rung before they, themselves, are unemployed. whether by design or by fluke it's the only thing they've got so they tend to punch down. it's unskilled work. they'll hire anyone for it. the rest know it's pointless busy work, but it's what's paying their bills or feeding their kids or alcohol addition.

the way the system was setup when i was there, and i can't imagine it being much different, is the the org got paid really well for getting jobs for the hard cases / long term unemployed. i'm talking people with major barriers like mental health, homelessness, aod, all of the above. so a lot of resources went into them. people who could dress semi-nice and turn up for a job interview? don't put any effort into them and if they gently caress up, drill them. that's pretty much the staff manual.

i only did a little bit of 'case management' before i moved onto the business development, which basically meant i got to drive around and shout coffee for employers who might hire job seekers. i actually did find jobs for people and used the brokerage to grease those wheels, but i never got on anyone's case if they tanked an interview. the whole system is hosed.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

wait that quote was from the 24th page of a 247 page thread. do you like, bookmark that poo poo?

Skellybones posted:

no one cares anidav

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ok you guys are all toxx'd except for bowmore who I will spare.

I spare bowmore because they are a truly good person with tough financial circumstances and I love banning for fun but not if it disables access of working class people, students and the underemployed to express frustrations about Australia, Australian society and Australian capitalism.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the whole thing is busy work and just shifting tax dollars to private enterprise.

like it was really really easy to just soak up tax dollars by doing 'reverse marketing'. so i'd call up an employer and say hey i've got this person. and then they'd hang up. and we'd get like $34 for that call. good times. a lot of people back then said they made the call, but never did, but still billed it. i actually ran some numbers on setting up an outsourced company for it and it was insanely profitable to outsource from the job services australia orgs for their reverse marketing. unfortunately i'm too loving lazy. i think the contract has changed since so it's not that easy anymore.

so if your job services or whatever it's called person says they're doing stuff for you, eg reverse marketing or taking your resume to employers; 80% of the time they're not. if they're super keen on you they'll be spending money on you eg, interview clothes, phone or referral to other services. ultimately, you're on your own.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Anidav posted:

I spare bowmore because they are a truly good person with tough financial circumstances and I love banning for fun but not if it disables access of working class people, students and the underemployed to express frustrations about Australia, Australian society and Australian capitalism.

Solid moderating!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

you are a gem

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

hambeet posted:

i couldn't keep away from you misanthropes for too long it seems

wb beet

Anidav posted:

you’re too good to us Dave

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anidav posted:

Spare me you coward!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I was in Stream ?A? when I took 6 months off Uni and then got moved to Stream ?C? now that I'm taking a prolonged break from Uni, and there's a marked difference from "have you done your job searches? ok, bye" of A and the "Hey, we've got a job opening you might like! Do you need new clothes?" of C.

I loving hated Sarina Russo and thought Job Prospects did a good job setting me up with a (not ideal) job. It wasn't until later that I learned they got paid significantly more getting a C into work over an A. Although Sarina Russo was probably still poo poo. I don't think they ever actually checked my job search effort.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Sarina Russo is dogshit. Pack of useless cunts, all of them. Job Prospects wasn't much better, they did nothing for me except make me come in once a week to use their barely functional computers and newspapers with all the good jobs torn out to look for work. I found a job by myself at home, told them they were useless and they tried to get me to sign a form saying they'd helped me, then spent the next six months calling me to remind me to fill it out. I didn't bother.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
dav for pm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Ah gently caress you Australia, Bill was a good man and all you had to do is dream a little with me for a better Australia and now we are stuck in this tar pit of a country sinking to the levels of Eastern Europe.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

Ah gently caress you Australia, Bill was a good man and all you had to do is dream a little with me for a better Australia and now we are stuck in this tar pit of a country sinking to the levels of Eastern Europe.

All men are bad. I am very smart.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Can anyone post this? https://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/retirement-incomes-face-review-20190524-p51qsi

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

nankeen posted:

dav for pm

It would certainly continue our proud tradition of electing news corpse lackeys to the top job

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

https://outline.com/RtjqHy

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cheers. I didn't realise outline still worked (last time I tried it didn't)

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

nankeen posted:

dav for pm

gay picnic defence posted:

It would certainly continue our proud tradition of electing news corpse lackeys to the top job

:lol:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

oh cool, so they’re gonna go after superannuation now. this’ll be fun

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hambeet posted:

Cheers. I didn't realise outline still worked (last time I tried it didn't)

Jesus Christ beet put some clothes on already

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Watch them make it non compulsory so Paul Keating leaves a horse head on Scomo's bed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're going to deregulate super because people like that woman who voted for scomo's environment and education policies think it's not fair that the government won't let then use their super to pay off $35,000 in credit card debt.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My medical cert ran out last week and this time they've put me with Sarina Russo instead of the DSP place I was with before WELP time to die

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

They're going to deregulate super because people like that woman who voted for scomo's environment and education policies think it's not fair that the government won't let then use their super to pay off $35,000 in credit card debt.

So I'll be able to pay off my house now? Sweet

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So what sort of economic fuckery would even occur with stacks of people cashing out their super (taking money out of the share market) and paying down massive amounts of debt?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

kirbysuperstar posted:

My medical cert ran out last week and this time they've put me with Sarina Russo instead of the DSP place I was with before WELP time to die

Pretty sure you can't be forced into any one provider, and with out being questioned on it you can change back to the one you want.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hambeet posted:

So what sort of economic fuckery would even occur with stacks of people cashing out their super (taking money out of the share market) and paying down massive amounts of debt?

Well for starters it would probably gently caress the budget because the rich would keep their money in super and clean up on all the tax concessions while everyone else would piss it away and end up on the aged pension which would defeat the purpose super was originally introduced for.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

I'm having trouble with Centrelink because my dad's wife is an illegal immigrant worker and won't disclose her income or assets and now he can't get a pension and aged care is not cooperating. So basically my only option is to call Peter Dutton :)
Do it. It's not like anyone here will think worse of you.

meteor9 posted:

I had to print out 8 fortnights worth and manually hand them over to get them to see it, and then they compared the figures and found out the robodebt system was reading yearly gross instead of weekly pay because of loving course it was.

Got it all cleared out of course, but loving hell. Especially annoying since it had apparently done it wrong six months earlier as well when it knocked me back for a low-income medicare card, but apparently the team it was 'sent up' to either never fixed it then either or never existed.

Three more years of them getting away with this poo poo, huh? I have absolutely no hopes of ever getting on disability at this rate, do I? Have to keep losing all strength in my limbs, going numb and tingly, and cold sweating constantly, and then zombie shuffle across the retail floor for upwards of 2 hours a day before I have to go home while managers keep asking if I need a wheelchair, I guess! Who needs to pay rent?!

Seriously what the hell am I gonna do? gently caress MS for being disabling but not disabling ENOUGH for centrelink, I guess.
Complain to your local member. If that takes longer than a fortnight to play out in your favour complain straight to the minister. Keep records of all contacts with Centerlink, MP, Minister.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Mr Chips posted:

After my family's last few interactions with Centrelink, I'm pretty certain their systems are deliberately designed to break or reduce data precision. Combine that with contracted staff who seems to know less about the regulations than I do after 5 minutes' googling, and it all adds up to a system that places the burden for fixing up the problems on the poor bloody citizen.

This is exactly right. Their systems will take average annual income (for some reason) from the ATO and average it out across the year to purposely make it seem like you shouldn't have been receiving payments. Essentially if you were on Centrelink, then had a job at any point in that year you'll probably get a robodebt notice.

I keep getting them for claiming the private health insurance rebate for my partner, as she puts in a non-lodgement advice every year. And for some reason, their system fucks itself and keeps declaring she's claiming her own entitlement. The only way to fix it is to lodge an actual tax return for her which states she earns $0 every year. It's all computers and databases that have been shoddily put together and no one on the customer service end understands what is creating the problems, and they certainly don't have the knowledge or power to fix anything.

Robodebt will happily use information from other government databases to demand money from you, but their systems don't actually communicate with each other for the purposes of resolving anything. It's a magical and terrifying set up which has resulted in actual suicides

It astounds me how the system is seemingly designed to consistently get annual income and average it out over every week, they are very aware of this issue, and they simply won't fix it..

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

https://twitter.com/AJ_Whittaker/status/1131757361033465856?s=20

fortress victoria

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Gotta lock the LNP members up somewhere.

Expect a lot more announcements for Vic infrastructure investment next week when the budget is released (but about $15bn less than if Labor had won).

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
I had a weird experience with the robo debt system; about 6 months after I graduated, I was called up and told I owe $600. I told them I didn't, that I had reported my income as I made it; the woman on the phone said she'd call me back, called me back the next day and told me it was all sorted

I don't know where the original debt came from or what they did over that 24h to resolve it. I'm self employed, though, so I have no payslips to submit, just a declaration of how much I made in a pay period and a pinky-swear that I'm not lying

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I’m sure that any potential changes to superannuation tax breaks will be grandfathered in. Just another way that boomers can lock the door behind them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

Gotta lock the LNP members up somewhere.

a guillotine would be cheaper

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Gonna check out of this thread ladies and gents, thanks for your time over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

tithin posted:

Gonna check out of this thread ladies and gents, thanks for your time over the years.

you'll be back. we all come back eventually