Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Captian GeUp and Non Sequitur Man, together they fight against brain farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tardscream posted:

Annabel Crab is the Australian Joe Rogan for 35+ yr old middle class white women.

With musical accompaniment by Leigh Sales,let's all have an election we can sing along to yayyy!! :suicide:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Barnacle Bill has been biding his time.

Still a dirty lefty.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh she's reinvented the definition of uncanny valley.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Measly Twerp posted:

Oh look, it's David Mitchell

Are we the baddies?

Don Dongington posted:

The continued narrative that Shorten is a failure ITT is loving hilarous. He's presided over the complete destruction of the Liberal party and with the exception of some minor scratches during the Section 44 debacle which decimated the Greens and severely damaged the Liberals, and Sam loving Dastyari, it's been relatively scandal free for the ALP.

What is this narrative you're inventing, I don't think anyone thinks he's a failed politician. He's great at being a politician. He just sucks at everything else.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 12, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JJ posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I want Labor to win, but I’ve just been burnt by the NSW state election, so have nothing but dim hopes for May 18.

Lol Shorten is in a much better position than NSW ALP. You're right that people are paying attention but only long enough to cast prepoll votes and back to ignoring politics. Most of the actual engagement is probably proportional to the size of this thread ie very minimal. So that's an actual problem for the government who needs to drive then engagement more than Labor because governments lose elections, oppositions don't win them. This government is going to lose seats, we just don't know now much by; Shorten is going to let ScoMo punch air for as long as he can to drive that uncertainty higher. Then he trots out talking points with little interference from the Canberra Press Gallery, who I think you'll find are strangely uninterested.

It's the NSW branch that has been running the federal party into the ground and it's about to have its comeuppance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Cory Bernardi seems to get little to no airtime these days. Upstaged by crazier assholes, I guess. I'll be glad to see him gone

Also the ALP and Shorten have actual experience in negotiating successful legislation through both houses, so I wouldn't worry about the general case, there's sure to rough patches too though. Like normal politics.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

What did he do on top of disability insults

You nong, he doesn't have to, he's cooked.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Periphery posted:

Boiled, mashed or stuck in a stew?

Leave now, and never come back!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

lol "liberal party analysis" ITS SCIENCE SEE IT MUST BE TRUE

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Effortpost! It's Bendigo 2019! :v:

The full list of candidates won't be up until after the cutoff of April 23rd, but there are already rumblings about the Nationals, who still haven't put up a candidate which is most unusual for them. I'll have to wait to see who the really dodgy and crazy candidates are, but the PHON guy is already a doozy.

In no particular order:
  • Lisa Chesters current sitting member since 2013, she'd be hoping to improve on her 57% win from last time. From what I've seen so far, I don't think she'll be seriously challenged.

• Sam Gayed is the new Liberal candidate, he's only been in Bendigo since 2013 (interesting timing there), nobody knows who the gently caress he is. The Libs are pulling out the same bullshit from last time, they've learnt nothing. Invisible candidates that promise the moon.

Bendigo Advertiser posted:

Mr Gayed said the existing government had a lot in store for the regions, with $400 million for community projects, $2 billion for regional roads and training hubs to combat youth unemployment.

You can't pull that poo poo when everyone knows you cut TAFEs funding off and ignored the region until you wanted votes.

• Dr. Robert Holian is the Greens candidate, don't know much about him except from the blurb on the Greens site, and he's spent even less time than Gayed in Bendigo proper although he trained here. He seems nice but the Greens are virtually a ghost party here, he'll be lucky to add any substantial preferences to the ALP.

• Oh boy. "Bendigo Resident and Local Business Owner" Vaughan Williams is the PHON candidate. The blurb reads like a crazy person with Capital Letters So You Understand The Incredible Importance Of His Views. I suspect he's an arsehole. Check it out:

quote:

Australia has a rich history, which has grown to be one of the most highly respected cultures in the world, based on true Australia Values, which seem to be fading away with the onslaught of Political Correctness and the erosion of Free Speech. This land was made great by its farmers, then manufacturing, innovation and smart business, which now seem to be heading down a road controlled by a non-elected United Nations and their global policies.

Vaughan would like to be part of team that works towards getting this ship back on course, listen to the everyday Australian and give them Common Sense policies that benefit all and not just the few. Vaughan will be pushing for Strong Common Sense ONE NATION polices and covering aspects that are deeply in need of Political Attention.

The right for Affordable Energy and the cost of Living, Jobs, Australian Values, sane Immigrations Policies, protecting Farmers & Water issues, Foreign Ownership, no more one-sided Free Trade deals, Medical Cannabis & Health and protecting those who have made this country great, the Pensioners.
Oh those evil United Nations with their evil plans for heroic Pensioners! In your heart, you know it's flat.

Also the Bendigo Addy is beginning to tighten the screws on a new paywall so that'll be a massive success I'm sure what with an election coming up. More to come as they sign up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Schlesische posted:

Thanks for this, I'm new to Bendigo and I don't know anything about the politics here. I like Lisa, but I was thinking about giving the greens a 1.

The reason that Labor have such a lock on Bendigo is that they have a track record of getting poo poo done. The Libs haven't been able to prove that to any large degree for 20 years now. I think it was touch and go at both federal and state level for Chesters and Allen a couple of campaigns ago when the Libs still had money to throw at them and they still had narrow margins. Now that the margins are relatively safe, the behaviour of the Libs in government and at state level together with nothing candidates gets a sympathy vote from local neolibs and the rest is devoted to the wacky fringe. That fringe will be more interesting given the collapse of FF/AC who are normally a good part of the Libs preference flows, and if the Nats get no purchase at all it could be a very lopsided result in the ALP's favour. But PHON may well hoover up the balance given there few other choices for boomers.

Sadly the Greens are just a shadowy partner behind Labor, they don't have the organization any more, that last state candidate lives next to me, she's still going to Uni. She turned up at my door, gave me a leaflet and made a lame joke about propaganda. But again, if people are stuck for a choice, they may choose to give a few more votes to the Greens than normal, given they're the most vocal about climate change and everyone here can see that and they'll preference Labor so its an easy decision.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

i saw this on twitter and i dont understand what's going on

Unemployment through the medium of dance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A lollercaust of boomers would be the best result. This is what you'll get when you mess with us.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GotLag posted:

The right wing cannot stop self-projecting. They're cynically corrupt with ulterior motives they feel the need to keep hidden and assume everyone else is as well.

It's great to see the cruelty and paranoia they project finally catching up with them.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And nothing of value was lost.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So this fun stuff is happening already:

https://twitter.com/matttburke/status/1117676363647864833

I'm really going to enjoy seeing these arseholes taken down.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Konomex posted:

I think that's what it comes down to, it's not a question of wearing a suit. It's a question of looking respectable and trustworthy. Tie dye shirts scream 'flake'.

So you're actually saying it does come down to wearing a suit. Of course, obviously, that's why we have totally trustworthy representatives like Peter Dutton who wears very well-fitting suits.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The point went that way mate, don't get dribble on yourself.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's a long way to the finishing line though. I'm pretty interested in what happens around the time prepoll voting begins, coalition must be desperate to time that right and I'm just as desperate that they gently caress up spectacularly.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

So the only game plan they have is to pretend they're not getting trounced so... uh...actually I don't know. All this is going to do is make the ALP and GetUp campaign harder. Maybe they know the liberal campaign machine is so fragile that the whole thing implodes if they think they might not waltz it in??

They're trying to win the prepoll because they know something like a 30-50 % of voters will stampede in and out of the booth so they can go back to ignoring these clowns. They need to make it out to be a done deal and put doubts into voters minds now, before they really think through the implications. If they're going to save the furniture its now or never. It's essentially a confidence trick. They don't have the resources, they sure as hell have no workable policies, you've got ScoMo doing his best Mad Baggins impressions to attract their attention.

If the electorate has doubts and we end up with just a bigger crossbench and a bloody fight over who gets to the actual government, that's a win in the Libs book.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 17, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

^^^^ dang, same I point I was making :v:

Amethyst posted:

Gillard literally went into an election promising no carbon pricing. And yet Plibersek wants us to believe that the only way to get serious action on climate change is to preference them over the Greens?

What a joke.

If they persist in making political myths this way, it will backfire badly on them. Labor is no more immune to self-destruction than the Coalition (of the insane). They'd better not expect a honeymoon if they win either, enough with the nice noises let's see some results, since they love productivity so much.

bell jar posted:

I suppose my gut feeling is less potential nuclear disasters, the better

Another argument from the economy end is that it's simply impossible for the nuclear energy lobby in the US to get any of their dream projects built, since the US government won't bankroll them and neither will anyone else. As noted above, the sheer ancillary costs alone can't be borne well by a US state much less a middle level government like Australia. If you can't make an economic argument to build the loving things, everything else is just fantasy. Tell them they're dreaming.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 18, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mods plz change thread title to totes mcgoats

Hey Anidav, just cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Notice she isn't claiming to actually do anything.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Talking to a mate and the word in the bush is the Nats are cooked, that story is biting. And they STILL don't have a candidate for Bendigo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

become the nats candidate yourself and then spend the next 3ish years making GBS threads up all their plans

I think the Pirate Party's taken though :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

Now they've gone "huh can't be that hard to grass roots it if they (GetUp) did it to us" and are trying their own thing, while being incredibly ripped off by their own people because lol capitalism.

Pretty much. Some Young Liberal bright spark has pushed this to a desperate elder and given that none of them can survive outside the party machine, this is their unfiltered idea of what grassroots activism must be like. Even if they had it, they wouldn't have a clue how to use it. This is the result of several generations of nepotism and never questioning that world.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

How high will the prepoll percentage go? IIRC, it was something like 30%, could we see 45-50%? That's a more interesting bet, anyway.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Margo Kingston is keeping track of developments, might make it easier to keep track cos poo poo is flying everywhere on this:

https://twitter.com/margokingston1/status/1119466347379875840

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mein Leben!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Seen at a Bunnings in SA

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If you don't listen to many podcasts listen at least to this week's Australian Podcast Live . It's mostly Gabrielle Chan's work going out to the sticks and listening to what people are saying and it's really, really bad. Bad for the Coalition at least but bad for everyone. Sussan Ley is on a notional 20% margin. I don't think she'll stay there. And if that is a microcosm of the mood, no one's seat is safe, not either major, until they stop treating people like dirt.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Fry's Turkish delight is fantastic. It is hard to go past choccy scotch fingers but gently caress milk arrowroots thats trash biccys.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

the thing that grates me the most is just the complete dismissal of regular folks coupled with their disgust at the idea that people want them to actually to do journalism.

it’s your loving job to do journalism. not wait until you’ve had a week of twitter pile ons before actually making phone calls/investigation/whatever.

this Barnaby water thing wouldn’t even be a story without twitter (and the labor brokens that cheered it)

If you're a female journalist you're getting a lot more poo poo from trolls than the males, it must be said. That's a pretty unenviable load to carry on top of doing your job. You see a lot less heat on Greg Jericho than Asher Wolf. It's not even just dismissal: to Richard Cooke, they're trying to have it both ways:

https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1120851317881131008

https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1120851644227260416

https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1120851857872543744

https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1120852045374713856

https://twitter.com/prestontowers/status/1120860496784056320

Remember Duncan Storrer? He's still around. People are still quoting him because every time a journalist wants to put forward a story from robodebt or centrelink they cannot answer the question: "will they go after me like Duncan Storrer?" Journalists have no interest in solving that problem but keep asking why we won't talk.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm going to have a rant, because this is not just lazy, bad journalism, its offensively bad to be paying this person to swan around after a politician and still have practically nothing to say by the end of it.

Anidav posted:

In almost two weeks observing the Prime Minister on the campaign trail, he's shown an unerring habit of seeking out an RSL or hotel, with a beer in hand, meeting the locals and (on at least one occasion) calling the bingo. There is method to it.

While Mr Morrison mingles, a photo of him is uploaded to his Instagram account, often accompanied by a self-deprecating comment.

It's an orchestrated media strategy aimed at showing voters he's just a regular bloke and no longer the shouty "stop the boats" persona he embodied as immigration minister.

"We haven't had a lot of time to introduce him to the Australian public, so we're kind of doing that at warp speed," one Liberal insider told the ABC.

Each time the Prime Minister travels, his advisers try to squeeze in an unannounced visit to a cafe strip or pop into a pub for a counter meal, because they have observed that when he meets people, they seem to like him.

In stark contrast with Malcolm Turnbull when he was prime minister, Mr Morrison appears more personally at ease rubbing shoulders and sharing a beer with "random", unfiltered voters he might encounter.

You've been following this madman for weeks and you're still comparing him to Turnbull...why?

quote:

Only last week he propped up a bar in Devonport, Tasmania, effortlessly discussing football league ladders, real estate prices and chicken parmigiana.

The point is, he's targeting voters on their patch and following their conversational lead, in encounters that cost nothing and are captured by mainstream media and broadcast to the nation.

From his point view, Australia's 30th prime minister has had to cram into eight months what others before him have spent an adult life doing: building and projecting an image as someone other than the hard-line, Operation Sovereign Borders supremo.

The bingo-calling, Winx-cheering PM of the election campaign is merely the extension of the self-styled league-loving, curry-cooking, daggy netball dad that "ScoMo" has carefully cultivated since coming to office last August.

He is a socially conservative Pentecostal Christian (describing his church as the "bedrock" of his family) but avoids the sometimes-lofty philosophical debates Mr Turnbull enjoyed, and he steers clear of the culture wars, theological and ideological battles Tony Abbott thrived on.

Another comparison to Turnbull, and one to Abbott, these are not current opponents and we're not interested in them, so why do you keep going back to that?

quote:

Take last Wednesday for example. A reporter in Tasmania asked Mr Morrison whether the State Government should repeal the "controversial gender laws" passed by the Parliament — laws that make it optional to specify a gender on a birth certificate.

It's conceivable Mr Abbott might have taken it as his cue to launch a full-scale rhetorical offensive against what he would regard as risky social experimentation.

But Mr Morrison saw potential danger and steered clear. He responded by saying, "We respect the sovereign parliaments of the states", carefully avoiding a gender debate that's well beyond the scope of the election contest he's defined narrowly around trust and economic management.

Inquiries about last year's leadership spill are met with the equally dismissive "that is such a bubble question", as is the latest offering of tax modelling figures from "that left-wing activist group" The Australia Institute.

Just because Abbott was an inflexible bastard doesn't make Morrison a nimble one. Nor do your comparisons make anything but desperate whataboutism.

quote:

Adept and nimble on his feet might be one interpretation of the Morrison political skill set, but it also demonstrates what colleagues say is one of his less-attractive qualities: a smugness or arrogance.

Mr Morrison's best hope, he believes, is to capitalise on polling, suggesting voters have a hard time trusting Mr Shorten, which is why he makes this contest personal.

"If you vote for me, you'll get me. If you vote for Bill Shorten, you'll get Bill Shorten," the PM says at almost every opportunity.

Labor strategists once argued to the ABC that if former prime minister Julia Gillard had sat around a dinner table with every family in Australia, she would have beaten Mr Abbott in a landslide.

It's the same feeling from the Morrison side and it's why Liberal strategists are seeking to give as many people as possible access to their leader.

This reminds me of the Monty Python advertising sketch. "He's an arsehole? Well that's our selling point! New arsehole! Not like your previous arseholes and definitely not like the other arsehole over there!" All to somehow disguise the massive problem that NOBODY WANTED THE ARSEHOLE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Oh hooray time for some horse-race-underdog-jerking-off-to-my-byline-crap:

quote:

But he is starting from behind and time is not on his side. The maths is impossible — 16 million people cannot be met in only four weeks, so the alternative is obvious: try to project the 'everyman' suburban likeability factor, in the hope as many voters as possible might relate to it.

Bill Shorten has spent six years building a bold reform agenda for Australia.

No change comes without pain or cost (something Mr Shorten struggled with this week when defending his climate change policy) but he's banking on the belief Australians want "real action on climate change" and are fed up with what they see as rising inequality.

In contrast, Mr Morrison is running a small target campaign promising to manage the economy well, change very little and reward voters with tax cuts in five years' time.

Look how incoherent that passage is. So much word-salad, so little content. But all too soon they give up.

quote:

Voters are genuinely presented with a stark choice and the question is: whose vision will they choose?

After the Liberal Party's near-death experience in the disastrous eight-week campaign in 2016 (remember "jobs and growth" and references to "innovation"?), Mr Morrison has thrown out the old playbook, hired a new marketing company in Adelaide and gone on the attack.

Unlike Mr Turnbull, he is not afraid to turn sharply negative, branding Mr Shorten "a liar" and "sneaky" after his superannuation tax misstep last week.

It's 2019 and journalists are still going on about 2016 and Turnbull. Think about that. Shorten is pulled out as a mere contrasting dotpoint: more or less instagram followers for gently caress sake (BUT NOT MORE THAN TURNBULL), and a bunch of guff about targeted media strategies as if they can be bothered to understand it, they just want to shove it into the piece and down tools for the day.

quote:

Since taking over the prime ministership, Mr Morrison's Instagram following has reached 40,000, pipping Mr Shorten's 36,000.

That pales in comparison to Mr Turnbull, who has almost three times as many followers, and NZ Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern who at last count had 609,000.

"Every corner of the country counts. Every Australian counts," one Liberal insider said.

Mr Morrison and Mr Shorten have both joined WeChat to court Chinese-Australians (it's "half inoculation and half communication" for the Liberals who used the platform to ensure voters that family visas would be unaffected by changes to the migration system).

And Facebook — as is the modern way — is key to both leaders' campaigns.

Even if you don't follow the leaders, their sophisticated campaign machines are targeting Facebook groups you may be part of.

Oooh Facebook it's the modern way!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I can't face any of those terrible words, I'm on smoko, leave me alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

sounds like you just need a good pub feed

The Gurge had better watch out if these kids get hold of a Strat.

blackcat12951 posted:

Nope, it's also a foxtel series.

That is loving dire, that is. It sounds like young Uhlmann has been harbouring a desire to emulate Shane Maloney. If you don't know him, he's famous for a series of novels starring one Murray Whelan, a backroom ALP numbers man somewhere in Melbourne who is forever getting involved in murders or other crimes and there's all sorts of side plots involving general politics. He's a good read, grab one of the trilogies, they're fun.

Uhlmann is a very, very poor imitation to the point of caricature. He tries to sound like a knowing worldly political realist but it comes out as a tinpot Stasi with mummy issues. How does one flaunt nipple bullets? Oh Emily what a lovely political system you have.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

More Bendigo capers, Julie Hoskins is an undischarged bankrupt and the AEC can't stop her being on the ballot despite the breach of s44. Her winning anything is laughable but until the election's done she's in the same position as Rod Culleton.

quote:

Senator Fraser Anning's anti-mosque candidate for the Victorian seat of Bendigo is an undischarged bankrupt, rendering her ineligible to serve in Parliament.

Julie Hoskin, 54, shot to prominence after playing a key role in the protracted – and ultimately unsuccessful – campaign against the Victorian regional city's first mosque.

Anti-Mosque campaigner Julie Hoskin was announced as a Victorian candidate for Senator Fraser Anning's Conservative National Party.

Ms Hoskin announced her candidacy for Senator Anning's Conservative National Party, despite having been declared an undischarged bankrupt.

But an Australian Electoral Commission spokesman said Ms Hoskin's nomination would stand and her name would still be on the ballot paper, given the AEC did not have the power to determine candidates' eligibility under the constitution.

s nomination would stand and her name would still be on the ballot paper, given the AEC did not have the power to determine candidates' eligibility under the constitution.

Candidates "self-declare" their eligibility, under section 44 of the constitution, to serve in Parliament when they nominate themselves to the AEC.

Australian Financial Security Authority documents show Ms Hoskin was declared bankrupt on September 20 last year, owing more than $92,000 in unpaid legal fees.

The former City of Greater Bendigo councillor tendered her resignation to council the next day.

Ms Hoskin was bankrupted after being unable to pay legal costs associated with the fight against the local mosque and Islamic centre, which far-right activists fought all the way to the High Court.

Her bankruptcy came after a bitter fight with her former lawyer, Robert Balzoa, against whom Ms Hoskin lodged a complaint to the NSW Law Society in 2017, alleging he had misappropriated money he held in trust to prop up his own firm.

Mr Balzoa denied the allegations and he was allowed to keep practising after a bid by the Council of the NSW Law Society to have him suspended collapsed due to a legal technicality.

Mr Balzoa is named in the National Personal Insolvency Index as the petitioning creditor in Ms Hoskin's bankruptcy.

Being an undischarged bankrupt prevents a person from being chosen, or sitting, as a senator under section 44 of the constitution.

Section 44 states that anyone who is an "undischarged bankrupt or insolvent" will "be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives".

It comes after the Australian Electoral Commission referred former One Nation senator Rod Culleton to the Australian Federal Police over his nomination to contest the federal election, after it emerged he is also an undischarged bankrupt, and ineligible to sit in Parliament.

In the event Ms Hoskin was elected, her eligibility to sit in Parliament could also be referred to the Australian Federal Police and potentially be referred to the High Court.

Senator Anning entered federal Parliament in late 2017 on a One Nation ticket, but quit the party after a falling-out with colleagues before briefly joining the Katter's Australian Party, only to be expelled from the minor outfit for "racist views".

The marginal Labor seat of Bendigo is held by former union organiser Lisa Chesters.

The kicker is that Hoskins is bankrupted partly by her own lawyer who stole most of the money he was supposed to be holding for the anti-mosque group (because no bank would give them an a/c, think about that!), so she's still on the hook for it and he gets away scot free. No honour among thieves etc.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turks posted:

As I said I'm still not going to vote for them (and I don't think Keen is either), but that's the logic.

It's a nice daydream but that's all it is.

First form in the mail, Lisa Chesters gets in early with an obvious attempt at information-farming, you know just in case you might want to postal vote for absolutely no reason at all. Can't blame her for trying, well done on it all being in red with big letters too, even a half-blind moron like me can tell its a votey thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

GotLag posted:

Is there anybody who actually cares about which party is better at economic management, and still thinks the Libs are? I feel like it's a fig-leaf not an actual justification.

A fig-leaf the media are hanging onto for dear life, the pathetic weasels.