Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://gizmodo.com/chelsea-manning-has-been-released-from-jail-1834656732

chelsea is out it seems

BUT

quote:

Attorneys for Manning said the release came after the grand jury’s term expired on Thursday. Her legal team has already been served another subpoena. It demands she appear before a different grand jury on May 17. Manning has vowed not to answer any questions and, therefore, could be returned to custody as early as next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

etalian posted:

Might as well have done this especially how the Intercept was ignorant how he US forced printer manufacturers to make copies traceable back to the individual machines.

according to the indictment they found winner because she was one of six people who looked at the file and they searched the work computers nobody bothered tracing the copy machines

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

thank you mods for freeing her

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

cool now give her and reality winner each their own metal gear mobile nuclear launch platform and set them loose on dc

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's not at all punitive or vindictive for her to be brought back to answer the same questions in a different case

THS
Sep 15, 2017

snowden was smart to go to china then russia

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

legit surprised more leakers dont just hoof it like he did i wonder if they actually believe the propoganda about how snowden was a uniquely bad leaker and the governments only mad because he ran

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

free daniel hale

seriously if you are going to leak anything about how lovely our government is you better gtfo to china or russia yesterday

the one thing they don't gently caress around with is people exposing their drone murder or mass surveillance programs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

THS posted:

snowden was smart to go to china then russia
idk i think i'd have stayed in china over russia but its a tough call

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Xaris posted:

idk i think i'd have stayed in china over russia but its a tough call

in 2013 the escalator down was barely so much as a glimmer in the Moist Man's eye. chinese extradition would 100% be on the table in a hypothetical 7 year plan, in that instance.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Sweden wants to extradite Assange over rape allegation, complicating U.S. effort to try him for conspiracy

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden reopened an investigation into a rape allegation against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange on Monday and will seek to extradite him from Britain, a potential setback to efforts by the United States to put him on trial over a huge release of secret documents.

Deputy Chief Prosecutor Eva-Marie Persson told a news conference in Stockholm she would continue a preliminary investigation that was dropped in 2017 without charges being brought after Assange took refuge in the Ecuadorean embassy in London.

Assange, who denies the accusation, was arrested in Britain last month after spending seven years hiding inside the embassy.

The Swedish prosecutor said she would request Assange be detained in his absence on probable cause for an allegation of rape and that her office would issue a European arrest warrant - the start of the extradition process.

The United States is also seeking to extradite him on conspiracy charges relating to the public release by Wikileaks of a cache of secret documents, including assessments of foreign leaders, wars and security matters.

The British courts will have to rule on the two extradition requests, with Home Secretary Sajid Javid having the final say on which one takes precedence.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-idUSKCN1SJ0UZ

If he gets extradited to and is convicted in Sweden he should just keep commiting crimes in Sweden in order to not get extradited to America

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 16:58 on May 13, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One weird trick, American prosecutors hate it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im glad they're going to try him on the actual thing he should be tried on

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Al! posted:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

it's like when a mod gives someone 30 days but then an ik gives their friend 6 hours to get out of it. the system just works.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
but ... i thought the whole purpose of the swedish charges was to effect his extradition to the US???

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chelsea Entertainment Manning

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Al! posted:

:hai:

ted hitler posted:

If he gets extradited to and is convicted in Sweden he should just keep commiting crimes in Sweden in order to not get extradited to America

maybe he should pick something besides rape tho. like parking tickets. he can just never pay his parking tickets. Julian Assange, The Most Notorious Douchebag Double Parker in Sweden.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

KillerQueen posted:

Who's taking care of this baby now

i will take the wikicat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

comedy option its been so long since charges were filed that the relevant prosecutor is now a completely different person and the extradition request is now about protecting him instead of screwing him over

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
idg manning's problem with grand juries as a concept, doesn't she know that sometimes bad people have to be prosecuted?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

It’s terrible that Chelsea will have to go back to prison after being released but she is demonstrating the highest level of courage and integrity in standing by her principals.

God bless her, she is a friend and ally to the people

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

idg manning's problem with grand juries as a concept, doesn't she know that sometimes bad people have to be prosecuted?

i sort of agree with this, it is a principled stand to take, but this seems like the wrong battle to take.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

She's using her momentary freedom to game

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1128852407872630789

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

can't someone get chelsea the hell out of america before they lock her up again

THS
Sep 15, 2017

are there any kind of laws preventing her from leaving? honestly don't know. if there aren't i have no idea why she'd stay here

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

jeremy scahills podcast had a good segment about how the espionage act has always been bullshit, first used to lock up eugene debs and then basically dismantle the american communist movement

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

THS posted:

are there any kind of laws preventing her from leaving? honestly don't know. if there aren't i have no idea why she'd stay here

i imagine she can't leave the country just like anyone involved in ongoing legal proceedings

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
China should offer to take her, except I don’t think China really likes whistleblowers either. :smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/1129158920499605504

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The 8th amendment also doesn't exist in grand juries

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

devil loving nation

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Percelus posted:

can't someone get chelsea the hell out of america before they lock her up again

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
loving yikes

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

oof

THS
Sep 15, 2017

really queer Christmas posted:

devil loving nation

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is pointlessly spiteful and also a massive waste of everyone's time

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Grapplejack posted:

This is pointlessly spiteful and also a massive waste of everyone's time

TRUMP

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wonder what the point of the cruelty is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

really queer Christmas posted:

devil loving nation