Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

quote this post if you literally went "oh what the gently caress" at the last line of RoS (even though you knew it was coming)

This is triggering me.

It was a complex, new series of emotions walking out of that theatre, but the one I remember most vividly was disgust.

So good on ROS for making me have a new experience, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was absolutely thinking palpatine had successfully sheeved rey and the whole thing was just one more iconic sheev dunk on the dumb family he perpetually dunks on. And honestly I really encourage disney to consider falling back to that angle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgx8eQQPeBc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The thing about the Last Jedi that actually pisses me off, is not the stuff with Luke Skywalker, but the rebel fleet trying to escape the First Order. The whole thing is just completely unbelievable. Why would they not just rip off the plot to that one Battlestar Galactica (the remake) episode? It was perfect.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Isometric Bacon posted:

I always think that Rian Johnson is unfairly shat upon for depicting Luke in TLJ as a reclusive hermit who's given up on the force, because how else are they going to pick up from where The Force Awakens left it?

Honestly a whole lot of things people only really started complaining about with TLJ actually started in TFA. Luke being a sadsack recluse in self-exile; the original characters never getting a scene together; ruining the happy ending and progress of ROTJ; moving Rey across the galaxy before she could meet Poe; the First Order suddenly going from barely a threat to taking over the Republic; and maybe this was just me, but I got a sense right away that there was something up with Snoke and that in one way or another he wasn't really going to be the big overall villain of these sequels. These were all there from the beginning in TFA! I pretty much went into TLJ with the expectation that Luke was going to be the Yoda of the movie and as such was probably going to be hermit-like and not even really leave the planet he's banished to, it seemed pretty obvious and natural from the way TFA set it up.

They even went and set Luke up to be this audience identification character who complains about how hosed up everything is and doesn't want to participate in another Star War, and goes through this whole arc of coming to terms with the OT being ruined. It's as if they were anticipating a possible backlash to TFA!

I'm thinking people were just too high on New Star Wars fumes to realize just what exactly all happened in TFA, or because its plot just zoomed through everything and didn't give people a chance to dwell on its events' implications, but it's like people didn't actually notice until it got pointed out to them by TLJ - which to me extended quite naturally from TFA; I don't know what this "subverting expectations" nonsense Rian Johnson was about, my only expectation that got subverted was the way he spells his name.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TFA honestly had red flags with me from the very beginning. The movie is just a mess from top to bottom and makes very little sense.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I thought about some of the comments on TLJ and Luke and ultimately think it wouldve been better had Luke already been dead from the start. It would be a reveal to Rey and the audience that Luke had died on the planet, but his spirit or whatever could not ascend because of the innate dark side enetgy of the planet. You could sprinkle in clues throughtout their interactions and maybe Rey would then throw something at Luke in frustration and realize its just a shade.

Basically TLJ hired bad writers.

Also last week I downloaded the 4k80 version of Empire Strikes Back and its so fuckin good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Isometric Bacon posted:

I always think that Rian Johnson is unfairly shat upon for depicting Luke in TLJ as a reclusive hermit who's given up on the force, because how else are they going to pick up from where The Force Awakens left it?

I know people just wanted cool action scenes that looked like that one ghoulish scene in the Mandalorian where Luke kicks everyone's butt, but TFA established that he's been missing for years and has effectively ignored a hostile takeover of the galaxy and danger to his friends and family.

I've always assumed they never really thought much further beyond TFA needs an 'iconic looking end shot to tease the next film'.

crashed his spaceship

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For all the derision about Luke in TLJ, I absolutely love his confrontation with Kylo, and how he effectively was able to both get Kylos goat and solve the issue in a non-violent way.

Much more 'Jedi Master' than a bunch of spinny death shits.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rey finds luke's skeleton on the beach. Un/fortunately he died doing what he loved, gorging on alien titty milk

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Isometric Bacon posted:

I know people just wanted cool action scenes that looked like that one ghoulish scene in the Mandalorian where Luke kicks everyone's butt, but TFA established that he's been missing for years and has effectively ignored a hostile takeover of the galaxy and danger to his friends and family.

I've always assumed they never really thought much further beyond TFA needs an 'iconic looking end shot to tease the next film'.

I assumed he was on the ancient jedi planet to look for a weapon/tool/knowledge that would help him fight the bad guys. He needed to hide where he was from everyone because it was that important to not risk evil people finding the thing first. He left behind the map in case of an emergency so he could be called upon when he was needed. Rey could have handed him the lightsaber and then he could be like "oh cool, you found me. You came at the perfect time. I just found what I was looking for. You can be my apprentice and we can use it to fight bad guys."

Maybe still put some stuff in there about secluding himself as a self-imposed exile for allowing his school to be destroyed and him feeling really bad about it. But to go as far as him completely giving up even after someone comes to him and is like "Han is dead and your sister needs you" is ridiculous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't think about it for long periods of time, and then find when I do, I've forgotten more and more about it.

I recommend this Force training.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Han luke and leia being completely alienated from each other in some kind of weird hate triangle was honestly one of the most daring and interesting aspects of the sequels, and it coming across like that was seemingly entirely accidental

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I said come in! posted:

The thing about the Last Jedi that actually pisses me off, is not the stuff with Luke Skywalker, but the rebel fleet trying to escape the First Order. The whole thing is just completely unbelievable. Why would they not just rip off the plot to that one Battlestar Galactica (the remake) episode? It was perfect.

This was all I could think about when I was watching this in the theater. That was one of the best episodes of BSG, on the edge of your seat tension the whole time, TLJ... not so much.