Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I finally watched the movie the other day. My first reaction is over in the 'Rate the Latest Movie You Saw' thread, but to cover a few things I didn't over in Rate the Last Movie: Somehow, Palpatine Returned Rise of Skywalker reminded me (unfavorably) of Star Trek: Into Darkness as entire scenes were lifted, wholesale, from older movies - the most egregious being the scene on the 'Luke fucks off and becomes a hermit' planet from TLJ.

Many of the Final Battle Between Good and Evil scenes were actually pretty well done, but the space battles were one of those situations where everything looks dire for the heroes, and just as they say something along the lines of, "I don't think we'll pull this off", suddenly there's a reversal and the heroes are winning again! I'm just confused; although I know that this movie is supposed to be a 'correction' for TLJ, that movie depicted the #Resistance as a splinter group of maybe 100 people and a few starships that were getting their poo poo wrecked left and right. Now, all of a sudden, the First Order needs an entire fleet of Star Destroyers to fight as many ships as the Rebels had in the OT?

Even the humor falls flat. There's a scene where we pointlessly say goodbye to Threepio because his memory is being wiped. Fine; Threepio is one of the first characters we saw from A New Hope. But the movie has to remind us every time Threepio is on screen that his memory has been wiped and doesn't remember anyone. Then Artoo restores his memory and the whole thing is rendered a waste of time, very much like the 'tick plot point boxes from Wrath of Khan' death of Kirk in Into Darkness (which is undone almost immediately). I don't think poo poo like this is an issue of writers not understanding how to write anymore, but idiots in suits who need everything dumbed down for them and think audiences are as stupid as they are.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can't help but wonder how much different things might be had Disney announced a delay of release from Summer 2019 to Summer 2020, instead of Winter 2019.

At least they would have possibly given them more time to not only work on the film so it wasn't so rushed and messy, but they'd be able to see the audience reception of The Mandolorian during that time, which could have given them some new thoughts on the film.

The shutdowns would have maybe given them the additional excuse to hold back the film another year or two until theaters were clearly starting to reopen to larger audiences, again, also giving them time to reevaluate Episode 9's story and do eventual reshoots.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

JediTalentAgent posted:

I can't help but wonder how much different things might be had Disney announced a delay of release from Summer 2019 to Summer 2020, instead of Winter 2019.

At least they would have possibly given them more time to not only work on the film so it wasn't so rushed and messy, but they'd be able to see the audience reception of The Mandolorian during that time, which could have given them some new thoughts on the film.

The shutdowns would have maybe given them the additional excuse to hold back the film another year or two until theaters were clearly starting to reopen to larger audiences, again, also giving them time to reevaluate Episode 9's story and do eventual reshoots.

This plan didn't really work out too well for the Halloween sequel trilogy

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I suppose another problem, too, is that it feels that after TLJ they wrote themselves into a lot of corners and coming up with any conclusion to that overall story that would satisfy a large portion of their audiences was always going to be difficult.

You come out of Episode 8 and Disney wants you to pen the final film for not only the trilogy, but the saga? How the hell do you come up with anything? Even the couple of unmade scripts I've been hearing about didn't feel that good. The only aspect of one of them that I kind of did like was the "First Order undesirables have secret knowledge of how to bring them down" and Finn's arc turning Stormtroopers against the First Order. I don't know if it'd be a better film than what we got, but at least it gives Finn's storyline something more.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

There is little point discussing the minutiae of this dumb plot point, or that dumb character arc. The simple fact is that I put more thought and planning into how I’m going to wipe my rear end after a big ole poo poo than Disney put into concluding the story of one of the biggest franchises in movie history.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It really shows how awful Hollywood script writers and the bosses that hand them their brief (changes 3x a day) are.

Like every film and TV flop in the last 5 years was entirely due to a terrible plot and terrible script. Screenwriters guild on strike again? Great, fire them all, they all loving suck

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Episode 9 should have been Kylo as a benevolent dictator who reformed the First Order.

Rey successfully kills Kylo and is taken into custody.

Rey is shot by a clone of Han Solo (Haan Solo) outside of the detainment center. The death of Kylo allows Hux to take over the First Order and prolong the war with the Republic.

That's just the first 10 minutes of the film. The rest is a courtroom drama about a conspiracy that Rey wasn't the lone blasterwoman.

Star Wars: Jedi Fragged Kylo.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Pretty rude of Han to last minute alter his will and leave the Falcon to Rey and not Chewie. Why are sticking around for this, Chewie? You’re a war hero, you don’t have to take this mess from a bunch of human (comparative) children. This movie should’ve focused on Chewie and R2 ducking out and opening a body/speed shop on some planet that does space drag racing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's really funny that all it took for Kylo to turn from the Dark Side in Somehow, Palpatine Returned was a Good Talking To from Han. Kylo/Ben just quit the Dark Side cold turkey, I guess.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There are so many things they could have done to make the sequel trilogy not suck rear end and they did none of them. Each movie on it's own individually and the trilogy as a whole are just a master class in being awful in different ways

And then all the shows on D+, with the exception of the clone wars season 7 somehow, are all awful too. It's like someone built a history lesson to show how to completely crater a franchise

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 10, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

What’s really funny is that what they had to do was incredibly simple. Get the old gang back together for one last rip roaring adventure, introduce the new kids along the way, and hand over the torch in a dignified manner. It was that loving simple and they hosed it up in every imaginable way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nodoze posted:

There are so many things they could have done to make the sequel trilogy not suck rear end and they did none of them. Each movie on it's own individually and the trilogy as a whole are just a master class in being awful in different ways

And then all the shows on D+, with the exception of the clone wars season 7 somehow, are all awful too. It's like someone built a history lesson to show how to completely crater a franchise

Mando S1 and S2 were fine. Andor was sublime and better than a star war had any right to be.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

What’s really funny is that what they had to do was incredibly simple. Get the old gang back together for one last rip roaring adventure, introduce the new kids along the way, and hand over the torch in a dignified manner. It was that loving simple and they hosed it up in every imaginable way.

They didn't even put this much thought into the overall story of the trilogy for this several billion dollar franchise they bought.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

What’s really funny is that what they had to do was incredibly simple. Make Dark Empire. It was that loving simple and they hosed it up in every imaginable way.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mando S1 and S2 were fine. Andor was sublime and better than a star war had any right to be.

Manda S1 and S2 seem fine because everything else was so bad. They have some issues but over all I can at least watch it and be like yeah even if there is some dumb poo poo in here and Mando is kind of a moron it at least FEELS like Star Wars in a way the sequels can't touch. Book of Boba Fett and Obi Wan though, oh my god

Andor yeah I'd say that is a pretty well made show but when the best thing you've made is something a good chunk of the fan base thinks is pretty boring, whether that is true or not, says a lot about the other things you've done.

smellmycheese posted:

Let's make a new trilogy and have zero scenes of Han Luke and Leia together, and then one by one kill them off. Sure you could say "well Carrie Fisher died in real life, they COULD have done that" to which the counter argument would be well why the gently caress are you waiting till the third movie to do that in the first place.

Oh, that wasn't bad enough? Well, when we first bought Star Wars we aren't touching any prequel things at all cause people hate that right? huh? People actually do like them? Well, we butchered the OT cast bad, let's get Ewan McGreggor AND Hayden Christiansen back to play Obi-Wan and Darth Vader again, that will make the people happy! poo poo, we butchered that just as bad or maybe even worse than the OT cast? Uhhhh lets make a show with the blue guy, people liked him right? Oh uh.. guess people didn't really like this show that much either, and the one character people DID like the actor died after filming so uhhh hey remember baby yoda?

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 10, 2024

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Ahsoka was okay i guess for a show about a lady crossing her arms. The parts with anakin were the best parts. But lol I’m not going to watch a child’s cartoon series to understand who most of these people are.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Breaking: War Hero Chewbacca has hired political veteran and top lawyer Senator Binks to challenge Han's will in court

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

can someone explain what a "first order" is? like where did the new republic go? the gently caress even happened that The Empire 2 was just sorta there now and someone did a select all delete on the republic navy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

can someone explain what a "first order" is? like where did the new republic go? the gently caress even happened that The Empire 2 was just sorta there now and someone did a select all delete on the republic navy.

The Mandalorian, and Ashoka TV shows have been slowly filling in the blanks on this.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

Ahsoka was okay i guess for a show about a lady crossing her arms. The parts with anakin were the best parts. But lol I’m not going to watch a child’s cartoon series to understand who most of these people are.

I was real bored with it and I love Ahsoka as a character from Clone Wars/Rebels. An entire Macguffin storyline about the dumbest thing

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

There was a time when hollywood could push a movie starring three geriatrics, but those days are gone. Young, pretty people sell more tickets.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

I'm going to say something very unpopular here and not an attack on anyone.

I really didn't need the OT cast coming back for one last adventure, and the more I think about it, the less I want that now that time has passed. It was frustrating in a lot of ways when the sequels started to come out and I was voicing how much I disliked TLJ and TROS, the go-to argument against me was, "Oh, well, so you wanted the original cast back to be the stars of the movies..."

God, no, not at all. They've had their adventure, they don't need to be on another. I don't need all of them together again. Should they be there? Sure, to some extent. But not in the heart of the action or passing the torch. Granted, though, that's not a satisfying thing for audiences who want to have them back. Downplaying or not having them around is going to be a source of resentment.

The other problem would be if you have them all together for one last adventure, you know what you're going to get? Unless you killed them all off as loving hero legends at the same time to save the world?

You're going to have people going, "Well, you know, Luke, Leia, and Han still can carry an action movie and I don't like these new characters. Now that they've come back for ONE adventure, why don't we have them all back on a few more where they don't have to share screen time with these new characters."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Just adapt The Glove of Darth Vader, cowards

Now some of the ideas might be dumb, like the main villain having incredible reverence for part of Vader's armor, or going underwater into the ruins of the Second Death Star to find a Sith artifact, or introducing a new young jedi character who ends up being palpy's grandkid, but I think it has potential.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you know which ones were fun and would have made a good TV show were the Galaxy of Fear books

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

you know which ones were fun and would have made a good TV show were the Galaxy of Fear books

I hope every episode ends with a “SCARY THING HAPPENED” and the next episode always begins with “that scary thing that happened was a fakeout”

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The Soviet Union fell apart and collapsed, but somehow North Korea survived - and then nuked New York City.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it turns out in the end the First Order was for a pizza and some jalapeno poppers

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why would he come back to play Luke if he didn't agree with the direction they were taking with his character?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Outpost22 posted:

Why would he come back to play Luke if he didn't agree with the direction they were taking with his character?

:10bux:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

A massive amount of money. Everyone has their price.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Mark Hamill had also spent his entire adult life carrying the "I was the star of the biggest movie of all time and my career as a leading man tanked immediately afterward with a loud, resounding splat" chip on his shoulder. You could've told him he had to perform a full-frontal nude love scene with Yoda while Frank Oz's hand was still up inside the puppet, nothing was getting between him and his taste of the long lost limelight that had slipped through his fingers. Nothing.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Poor Mark :smith:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

He got paid like a million dollars for a movie he only appeared in the last 10 seconds of. There are definitely worse things in the world than being Mark Hamill.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“Great you’re happy with the cheque Mark. So - here’s the deal. You’re not in the first and last one at all, and in the middle one we’ve got this fantastic scene where you drink blue walrus titty milk. Nice throwback to your uncles house in the original. It’s like poetry. It rhymes “

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

You could've told him he had to perform a full-frontal nude love scene with Yoda while Frank Oz's hand was still up inside the puppet, nothing was getting between him and his taste of the long lost limelight that had slipped through his fingers. Nothing.

Jesus, my childhood would have been destroyed. :gonk:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I always think that Rian Johnson is unfairly shat upon for depicting Luke in TLJ as a reclusive hermit who's given up on the force, because how else are they going to pick up from where The Force Awakens left it?

I know people just wanted cool action scenes that looked like that one ghoulish scene in the Mandalorian where Luke kicks everyone's butt, but TFA established that he's been missing for years and has effectively ignored a hostile takeover of the galaxy and danger to his friends and family.

I've always assumed they never really thought much further beyond TFA needs an 'iconic looking end shot to tease the next film'.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe luke could have been kept in jail by an evil creature. They already had the titty milk monster who could have pinch hit in this role in fact

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Luke wanted to save the galaxy, but was hopelessly addicted to blue titty milk, so he couldn't leave space Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

quote this post if you literally went "oh what the gently caress" at the last line of RoS (even though you knew it was coming)