Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Dre2Dee2 posted:

so junkyard trash is displacing midget acting jobs

gently caress this economy

Acting is for midgets what basketball is for giants. Especially now thst horse racing is no longer popular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hate george Lucas but i admire this 4D chess move. Like disney star wars is truly awful. He got mad at the fans for being mad at him, cashed out to the worst game in town and sat back while they turned a gigantic piece of boomer amd gen x nostalgia into the blandest pap ever made

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

basic hitler posted:

I hate george Lucas but i admire this 4D chess move. Like disney star wars is truly awful. He got mad at the fans for being mad at him, cashed out to the worst game in town and sat back while they turned a gigantic piece of boomer amd gen x nostalgia into the blandest pap ever made
I thought the new ones had to be better than the prequels, but they're somehow even more forgettable.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

basic hitler posted:

And then regularly pops in interviews saying “ohhhh, I regret this so much, I had sooooooooo many cool ideas 😥”

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

basic hitler posted:

he is a terrible director, but he is an absolute GENIUS business man

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And then regularly pops in interviews saying “ohhhh, I regret this so much, I had sooooooooo many cool ideas 😥”

The actual ideas he's mentioned are unfathomably dumb but they are a lot more interesting than what we got

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Bert Roberge posted:

https://twitter.com/EntEarth/status/1116756494609870848

They glued a desk lamp/trumpet mute on a wheel and called it a character.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS OR WHAT IT DOES BUT I LOVE IT !!!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The actual ideas he's mentioned are unfathomably dumb but they are a lot more interesting than what we got

Let's just be honest with ourselves and admit SW was a phenomenon in the right place at the right time. Everything trying to recapture the magic of the OT will fail no matter what.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

This was always the biggest problem with the prequels. There was no one in the room to tell him an idea was stupid. Everyone just went along with every single stupid idea like it was gospel.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So the teaser doesn't reveal that tlj was all a dream so chuds are already angry but it also retcons and undoes a lot of tlj and doesn't have rose in it so tlj people are mad,what opinion of the movie should am I supposed to have to be on the right side of history.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Rian Trilogy will finish up by 2027. At the following year's Celebration, Disney announces they're "Bringing it back home for a new generation"

Trailer plays. Binary Sunset swells, it's a photo of Young Lucas looking determined. End Titles music play to a title screen

"2029. STAR WARS: THE LAST HOPE"

Lights up and Jabba the Hutt George Lucas sits in a director's chair, eager to share his vision of "The Last Star Wars Story and the Death of the Force"

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Haven’t all the ideas Lucas had been ridiculously questionable and dumb? Like you read up poo poo about what his original vision for Star Wars was and it just sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever and it was only parred back to a decent 70s sci-fi by a bunch of people on the project constantly telling him that this poo poo he was planning was dumb and forcing his hand to change it.

Lucas core strength is pulling from pop culture and just remixing it for mass audiences, if you do enough regressions on the original Star Wars story it’s just basically Dune with tropes pulled from other old films.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I was watching an episode of Tiny Toons from 1990 with my kid the other day and they were doing a Star Wars parody episode. It reminded me that there was a period of about 14 years after Return of the Jedi and before the special editions came out when Star Wars references in mainstream culture were sort of rare. Aside from Spaceballs I guess. Most of the 90s were virtually Star Wars free. It’s hard to recall a time when there wasn’t a Darth Vader helmet or Leia braids or wookie fur on nearly every manufactured object.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

1500quidpoocati posted:

Like you read up poo poo about what his original vision for Star Wars was and it just sounds like the dumbest poo poo ever and it was only parred back to a decent 70s sci-fi by a bunch of people on the project constantly telling him that this poo poo he was planning was dumb and forcing his hand to change it.
Some of it was his ex wife's editing work. But yeah, the early drafts of THE STAR WARS just read like The Hidden Fortress or whatever with a lame sci-fi veneer.

"the respected JEDI BENDU OF ASHLA were the most powerful warriors
in the Universe. For a hundred thousand years,
generations of Jedi Bendu knights learned the ways of the mysterious
FORCE OF OTHERS, and acted as the guardians of peace and justice
in the REPUBLIC. "

Plus some poo poo about protecting the king and princess

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
None of the characters are saying "Where's poochie?" In that commercial.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Leon Einstein posted:

Let's just be honest with ourselves and admit SW was a phenomenon in the right place at the right time. Everything trying to recapture the magic of the OT will fail no matter what.

If only people realized that 20 years ago.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
they’re showing off a new game tomorrow maybe this one will actually come out.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

WatermelonGun posted:

This exciting new action-adventure game stars Drake Sunslayer, the secret apprentice of the perfidious Snoke. When Snoke is cruelly cut down by Kylo Ren, Drake is forced to question everything.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WatermelonGun posted:

Is it that stupid Vader VR game they announced a couple hours ago?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is it that stupid Vader VR game they announced a couple hours ago?

no it’s the one they shitcanned paradox to make I think

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

FilthyImp posted:

Some of it was his ex wife's editing work. But yeah, the early drafts of THE STAR WARS just read like The Hidden Fortress or whatever with a lame sci-fi veneer.

in the REPUBLIC. "

I wish more movies just aped hidden fortress and seven samurai

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's from Respawn, so I have a fair amount of faith it will be a decent game.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
oh that’s cool i didn’t know they were making it, looking forward to buying the goty edition in a couple years

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You can give the early drafts of Star Wars poo poo for being turgid and full of dumb names, but I think you can give actual Star Wars most of the same poo poo. What’s worse, an emperor named Sheev Palpatine or an emperor named Cos Dashit?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Wait, they're making another Star War movie? I thought the Star War was over?

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

in the REPUBLIC. "

I'll bendu your ashla bithc!!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

star video games are great cause they just take an existing game, make a knock-off, and throw in star wars character models

Vaderunknown's Battlegrounds

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

font color sea posted:

Star Wars IX: The Rise of Pandering

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
EA already has a money printing battle royale game so I think we’re safe until DICE do what dice do

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

*huffing into the room*

Did anyone make a penis joke yet

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Not really no

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

I mean with how big it was and how many cooks were in the kitchen it might have always been doomed, but I feel like if they'd just cut bait with the OT characters from the get-go and done their own thing with it, it would have turned out fine. Instead Disney Star Wars is trapped in this weirdly cowardly creative space where you can tell Brand Awareness was consideration #1

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
1-6 are a complete thematic arc and any addition to it was always going to have problems, which is why Lucas conspicuously didn’t follow it up. We’ve already done tyranny becomes freedom, we’ve already done freedom becomes tyranny. 7-8 portray a constant, almost meaningless struggle between freedom and tyranny because they have no trajectory left to explore without getting redundant.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Away all Goats posted:

*huffing into the room*

Did anyone make a penis joke yet

you are the one that was prophesied

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

skasion posted:

1-6 are a complete thematic arc and any addition to it was always going to have problems, which is why Lucas conspicuously didn’t follow it up. We’ve already done tyranny becomes freedom, we’ve already done freedom becomes tyranny. 7-8 portray a constant, almost meaningless struggle between freedom and tyranny because they have no trajectory left to explore without getting redundant.

"maybe tyranny and freedom... can be friends"

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Star Wars: Rise of the Machines.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

skasion posted:

Maybe freedom is the true tyranny?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

pfffft lol

how many billions did he get from selling lucasfilm? the man could easily finance a space opera film if he wanted to.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
distinct non-zero chance he could even get mark hamill on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
From my point of view jedis are evil :smuggo:

Make a story about jedi just meddling in regular people's lives and only doing more damage despite having the best intentions. Jedi are already annoying paladin type, realize it as a scifi aciton comedy.