Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I only saw Rise of Skywalker because my wife really liked the sequels. She never grew up watching the old stuff.

I did not like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Chrs posted:

Phantom Menace is good actually.

Attack of the Clones though now thats a bad movie

Phantom Menace relied a lot more on Show Don't Tell, and Attack of the Clones even more so. There's almost too much going on in them. The prequels are flawed but still tell a coherent story and they finish off with Revenge of the Sith which is an absolute banger except for a few pieces of dialog.

I liked them as a kid and grew to like them even more as an adult.

The Sequel trilogy though was;

EH retread of ANH -> real lovely retread of ESB -> weird-rear end attempt to put everything together in TROS.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Burns posted:

Now that i think on it, i dont get why they didnt just make Rise a 2 parter. Marvel movies had alrrady set a precedent for that.

Also to the goon above who said clones was more show dont tell, its actually the exact opposite.

I do not want to live in a world where Rise of Skywalker is a two-partner.

Just give a straight adaptation of the Thrawn trilogy as a cartoon so I can be a grognark about the old EU of which I know less than 1% about.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Burns posted:

I suspect Rise was drew too much inspiration from Dark Empire, but they realized they mighy have to pay royalties so they decided to make it worse instead.

Dark Empire actually explained how Palpatine came back, and had some rad art.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yep. As I understand it Lucas' idea is The Force is benign/good. It's kind of the "default state" of the Force until beings tap into it to wield it. It's not a "light side" so much as it's just what the force is until it becomes polluted. The Dark Side is a corruption of The Force that happens when it's wielded contrary to the Will of the Force for vulgar selfishness or aggressive violence.

Yeah, Dark Siders are constantly bending to the force to their own desires and messing stuff up, whereas Jedi are supposed to listen to The Force. Part of the problem with the Jedi Council in the Prequels is that they have also stopped listening to The Force, and are so hidebound in their traditions that they're ignoring things they really shouldn't be. It's why in AOTC Yoda and Mace Windu admit their ability to 'hear' the force has diminished. It's also why Palpatine can hide so easily among the Jedi.

Qui-Gon isn't on the Council because he puts The Force before the Council rules, which is what a Jedi SHOULD do, but the Masters have forgotten that.

Let's talk about a good Star Wars movie. I just watched Rogue One again with the wife. Great movie, only thing that stands out as weird is that AI Leia is with the rebel fleet attacking Scarif. Kind of makes her bluff in A New Hope really, really bad. Although you could read it as she's just annoying Vader because they both know at that point it's sh!t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Rogue One is not a good Star Wars movie.

a pee-pee doo-doo opinion.

Lister posted:

In the high republic books, there was a faction called the Path of the Open Hand that believed no force abilities, light or dark, should be used by anyone and doing so upsets the universe. So like if a jedi would save someone's life with their abilities in one place, the universe would kill someone somewhere else to keep balance. Because of this, they hated the jedi order and thought its existence did more harm than good. Then it turned out that their leaders were cool with killing innocent people to further their aims, so this nuanced faction just got completely ruined since they were too cowardly to make the jedi look remotely bad.

Honestly that makes thematic sense. "Don't do anything masses! (While we do whatever we want)." Sounds like quite a lot of non-interventionist cults.

I've been sharing my old Legends comics with some co-workers who like Star Wars. Nothing like some good 'ole 90s Tales of the Jedi to power some nostalgia trips.